• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ten Paces

User who uploaded this Presents

Ten Paces
Created by normalice

Map Info:

Designed for close-quarters 'toe-to-toe' combat. Of course doing this directly would provide too much of an early-game advantage to certain races, so there is a thin tree wall between the two bases. However, waygates are also placed so that opponents can still get between bases early in the game for rushes/harasses.

Features:

To keep the 'close quarters' theme alive, the starting gold mines have a lot of gold in them, and the expansion gold mines have significantly less. Each base has two 'natural' expansions - one far and one near. The near is the obvious one for a fast expansion, and is for an early boost. However, one of the creeps there has mana burn, so you will pay a price. The mine only has 5k gold in it (again, its intent is only as an early boost). The far one has 10k gold in it, and the creeps are a little less 'punishing,' but nonetheless difficult enough to require a small army instead of typical 'fast expansion' units.

There are taverns in the corners of the map. When I first made the map they were closer to the bases, but this led to an advantage as someone could send a unit to an "enemy's tavern" and start a very early harass, and additionally repurchasing the hero at the tavern any time it happened to fall.

There are goblin observatories as well, if the waygates are just too far for your purposes and you need to get ground units into your opponent's base. However the creeps there have ensnare, so if you try to sneak out a zeppelin, you risk losing it right away.

There is also a pair of 'red' creep camps shrouded in the trees. The drops are lucrative, of course, but I've never actually seen anyone attack them.

There is also an added quirk of a 'random neutral building' in the center of the map. There's an 85% chance that it will be a goblin shop, and the remaining chances are divided somewhat equally between the two possible fountains. I was at one point considering making it a permanent fountain of mana, as those always seem to be the best games, but people insisted the map should have a shop. So this was my attempt at a 'compromise.'

Also, I wanted to integrate an element of 'realism' so there is a lot of randomly placed trees throughout the map. Not all trees come in bunches!

Some else stuff about map:

There are minor bug issues with the map - but that isn't something that can be fixed by modifying the map, they are game problems that this map only brings to light. Particularly, units tend to run in a 'shortest path' to wherever they are told - which is absolutely sensible. If a new path suddenly opens up that is shorter, the unit will change course and head for that - also sensible. If a path suddenly opens and then closes again, the unit will head for the shorter open path and then head back on the longer path once again. This happens when a (for example) wood worker is harvesting a final tree blocking a soon-to-be path. The 'jitter' of the tree can momentarily open a shorter path between bases than the waygates, and then close it again. If you have a unit already making its way to the waygate (which is in the opposite direction of the trees), that jitter will cause the unit to run in circles. Of course you can circumvent this by microing or placing waypoints efficiently, but it is annoying nonetheless - and also out of my hands.

I've hosted this map many times. Some think it's awesome, some hate it. However, one must always remember that if they think they are losing because of the map, their opponent is playing on the same map. I've yet to see the lesser skilled of two people win on this map.

Unfortunately, this map requires two living people for testing. The computer AI is sometimes remarkably confused by the waygates.

Screenshots:
Screenshots can be found here.

Change Log:

Added:
  • changed some terrain tiling to try to make it look 'prettier'
  • moved nearby green creeps a little further from the starting locations

Added:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
Removed:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
Fixed:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
Changed:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx

Added:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
Removed:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
Fixed:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
Changed:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx

Credits:

Special Thanks:
  • everyone who helped me test it over the last 5 years!
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx

Models:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
Skins:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
Icons:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
Tutorials/Systems:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
Loading Screen/Map Preview Image:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
Other:
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx

Author's notes:

This is the first map I ever made, and as such it took me years to polish. I completed it about four years ago, but only heard about this site yesterday, so here I am...

Other work:
Pack

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Contents

Ten Paces (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet20:36, 31th May 2013 Map Approved Ten Paces (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet20:36, 31th May 2013

Comment

Review

Map Approved
Ten Paces (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Ten Paces" is a 2 player melee map on the world of Fellwood theme.

"The player's are a little away from comfort but I guess that's the challenge for the map, creep difficulty seems okay right now but going on higher level creeps can be a little problematic."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain is very wide but all thanks to the almighty tile variations it gave decor, but adding some environmental doodads can suffice but right now its looks good."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"To my conclusion, another useful 1v1 melee match players to test with."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
9/1580%C

Hmmmmm, personaly id like it if maybe you can make swap the gold mines rule around give the players allot less gold and givving the other a lot more that will make it more of a strugle later parts of the game which will result in less income rate and that would maybe create a more balanced felling if you would :) and ummmm maybe you can edit the terrain a bit? besides that ummmm good map

Level 13
many heated arguments have occurred because of my gold-mine rule. And they will continue to do so! I might up the quick expansion to 7.5k, though... hmm. I'll think about it. I know it's a disadvantage, but the theme is that is an equal disadvantage to both opponents - it festers an unfamiliar anxiety that is the whole purpose of this map.

But I did modify the terrain around the way-gates to try to look 'pretty'. I honestly thought it was fine the way it was, so it was really only my best guess as to what people weren't liking in that department. That goes for anything appearance-related, actually.. It's a matter of taste. Perhaps I'm an oddball, but I like the way it looks as is :p