• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ten Paces (12 Player Version)

User who uploaded this Presents

Ten Paces (12 player version)
Created by normalice

Map Info:

This is a spin-off of my 2-player map "Ten Paces". The theme is close-quarters. This is difficult to pull off in a large map so there are waygates at key positions to reduce traveling time.

Features:

There are two notable features to this map, and it's hard to pick which one is likely to be the most 'alarming,' so I'll just pick at random. There are many fountains of mana in this map. They are placed between each of the expansion gold mines. I've found that fountains of mana, more so than fountains of health, tend to speed games up significantly.

The other unusual feature is the center. It is only accessible by waygate (or by air). There is only one building there (apart from the waygates) and it is the only tavern on the map. The center is not guarded by creeps.

The other end of each of the waygates is right in the middle of each set of three bases. Again, the intent of this is to reduce the 'apparent size' of the map, but still giving everyone adequate space to do their thing. In the interest of remaining true to the 2-player version if this map, each set of three bases is separated by trees. In fact, so is the waygate. So cutting them down can essentially open a very short path to all of the other bases on the map - but remember that that's a double edged sword, as then your enemies have a short path to you as well.

There is basically a standard number of expansion gold mines. Expansion gold amounts were not modified and are all the default 12.5k each. Starting mines have 22.5 k each

Creeps are in something of an abundance. However, the easier 'green' creep camps are further away from the bases. The intent is that early game if you want to creep, you leave yourself vulnerable to rushes/harasses. And if you want to rush, you can not creep.

In the event that this is not a 12-player game, the remaining gold mines will be guarded by two level 10 dragons and a knight with invincibility. The idea being that you must pay the price of time for an otherwise-free expansion. However, each of the dragons drops a tome of experience.

As to the drops, all of the green creeps drop a tome of knowledge. Other than that, the drops are fair and pretty diverse. The four red creep camps in the middle each drop a rune of the watcher.

Change Log:

Added:
  • many goblin shops
  • four goblin observatories
  • creeps to guard each of the neutral buildings added
Removed:
  • 'clutter' in the middle - only one tavern remains (and the waygates)

Added:
  • critters
  • xxxxxxxxxx
  • xxxxxxxxxx

Fixed:
  • open 'short' paths available between bases at the onset

Modified terrain to make it less 'flat':

Screenshots:
Screenshots can be found here.

Author's notes:

This map has only been tested against the computer AI (which is retarded and should be called AR..). I made it somewhat recently, and also recently almost no one joins custom games anymore. If anyone knows 10 other people who want to test it feel free to let me know - I'd be delighted to host such a game on Azeroth (observers on defeat).

If not, I see this map has over 700 downloads. I would very much like to see replays. Feel free to upload them to wcreplays and post a link to it here. Thanks.

Other work:
Pack

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Contents

Ten Paces (12 Player Version) (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet12:14, 29th May 2013 map re-moderate Splatter (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet12:14, 29th May 2013

Comment

Review

map re-moderate
Splatter (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Ten Paces" is a 12 player edition to its original map http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/ten-paces-231405/.

"A map that is designed for a team based scenario, cool idea and no problems undergoing with it but somehow the creep camps looks very easy to target but I'll give space for that, the way gates looks like main goals of this map, defend it from incoming enemies or use it as a hit and run tactic."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"The terrain improved from previous moderation, even though it has a wide space the tiles gave decor to the map."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Overall map is great and useful for those who dares build defenses and a good team work."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
10/1583%B

Level 14
Melee maps should be rated for theyr gameplay, not for the terrain/doodads imo

This makes no sense... Melee maps are made for melee, the most important aspect of a melee map is the terrain because the terrain determines how fair the game is for all players.
If you would be rating a melee map for its gameplay, you would be rating Blizzard... not the melee map creator.

Level 13
This makes no sense... Melee maps are made for melee, the most important aspect of a melee map is the terrain because the terrain determines how fair the game is for all players.
If you would be rating a melee map for its gameplay, you would be rating Blizzard... not the melee map creator.

I think he was referring to things such as "the placement of flowers" or "how flat things were" and such, which the moderator rated based on. Obviously any actual terrain advantages should reflect negatively on the map, but I agree that environmental doodads aren't really something that should weigh heavily..

Level 18

I have nothing against kael's judgement, just saying my opinion, was not a criticysm.
What I mean, is that the main part of a melee map is the gameplay, as the position of players,
of goldmines, shops, creeps, etc.
I'm not saying that terrain has no weight in the rating (infact I love terraining and doodading), just that talking about it ony is like opening it in the editor, without even testing it.
I haven't tested it yet, I will when I have some free time

Level 21
Can you keep this on please and I'm on my laptop and my folks place at the moment and my laptop doesn't have Warcraft III installed on it.

Level 3
So heres what i think of your map:
Good points:
terrain is very good
creeps are balanced

Bad points:
computers who control night elfs build buildings into allies bases and they wont mine gold.

Suggestions:
fix the problem with night elves not mining gold.