• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terrorkar Forest

Terrorkar Forest

Map Info:

Long ago a great war between the orcs and the draenei was fought here. The draenei was forced to flee, but now time have come to retake these ancient forests of outland from the vile demons, orcs and whoever may still be here.

Features:
  • 8 Gold Mines - 15000 Main, 11000 Expansion
  • 8 Green Creep Camps
  • 8 Orange Creep Camps
  • 4 Red Creep Camps
  • 4 Goblin Merchants
  • 1 Tavern

Screenshots:

96wzr5.png

Videos:

Author Notes:
Got the idea while making the Deadwood Sanctuary timelapse, while i was messing with the water colors. Thought, this kinda looks like Terrorkar Forest, would be cool to make that. So i did, and while i made it, might as well also make a timelapse of it. Woulda liked maybe a few more neutral buildings, but not every map needs a bunch, and already maps like turtle rock barely got any so i thought i let it slide.

Keywords:
Terrorkar Forest, Outland, Bonestorm, Felwood, Ashenvale, Crazeh, melee, four player, 2v2, 1v1v1v1, 1v1, super fun time, more bonstorm
Contents

Terrorkar Forest (Map)

Reviews
17:55, 14th Jun 2014 Orcnet: Gameplay is decently made and no much trouble for players to tackle in creeps and harvesting areas, but I think the idea of only Goblin Merchants to be available for the map seems a bit too much, it would be nice if there...

M

17:55, 14th Jun 2014
Orcnet: Gameplay is decently made and no much trouble for players to tackle in creeps and harvesting areas, but I think the idea of only Goblin Merchants to be available for the map seems a bit too much, it would be nice if there would be Laboratories or Mercenary camps that store Draenei units as based on the map description. Also atleast 1 creep guarding the Goblin Merchant should drop a sentry ward powerup for strategic purposes.

Terrain looks good, that idea of waterfall on boundary region makes it a nice view, somehow the shallow water parts doesn't seem to look shallow you might want to slightly lower the grounds more on them to reveal more water than land.

Overall, a fitting melee map and approved.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Remixer's Quality Control
Terrain
Terrain is pleasing to eyes though not flawless. The green waterfalls next to blackwater are really out of the place you should replace them with some other color. The height variation is nice, however shallow water areas are totally flat, use some height tool there also. At some places the map seems a bit empy (mostly the shallow water). The middle area is kinda nice, though I doubt if the walls and tiles work as intented if I were you I would definitely go and recolor the walls abit (I find values [180,200,125] pretty nice (make sure to press "V" in the editor to see the walls ingame. I also noticed that in my opinion, your wall using style isn't... the best one. (I'll post a picture to show you how I place them). Other than that I find the terrain really nice. Weather included which is nice. Though I could like to see some fog also (from Map Options), something greenish.

Neutrals
Now I must mention that the lay out is really cool. The creep camps are placed nicely to the edges however the creep races are rather odd though I read the map lore. I would change the story and use the "Felwood" units instead. (Draeneis and grass is not gud). There is nice amount of critters and a easy-access tavern. However I wonder if 4 goblin merchants is the best solution. (Maybe replace 2 of them with mercenary camps f.e.).

Summary
Overall the map is refreshing and it has nice idea of some kind of void and land next to each other (which reminds me of my own map with a different concept though. Some flaws here and there but they are fixable. Minimap preview looks cool, however the blue water disturbs me, as the water ingame is black.

Scores:
Terrain: 3/5
Comment: Terrain is really nice looking, a bit empty at water areas, unique idea. Use height tool at shallow water areas, and cover unblack shore areas (check images) and well do the fixes about the terrain I told you about and you'll get 4/5.

Neutrals: 3/5
Comment: Creeps are nice, though a bit out of place. Nice expansion areas. Maybe replace those 2 goblin merchants with mercenary camps.

Generally: 3/5
Comment: Generally really nice map which offers nice playing experience. Some flaws still stick to my eye (especially mine) mostly because of the terrain.

Rating: 9/15 (Silver)

About the pictures:
1. Place a wall normally.
2. The other wall won't fit there, no space.
3. Hold down Shift, while trying to place the wall, and voilá.

4. No grass peaking at the shores (I placed large but low (in height) elevators, coloured black and lowered them below the walkable ground (by pressing Ctrl+Page Down).
5. Can you see the grass peaking from the water next to the cliffs?

Attachments

• HowToWall(Image1).png
    HowToWall(Image1).png
    455.7 KB · Views: 180
  • HowToWall(Image2).png
    HowToWall(Image2).png
    514.6 KB · Views: 177
  • HowToWall(Image3).png
    HowToWall(Image3).png
    452.5 KB · Views: 179
  • ShoreArea(Covered).png
    ShoreArea(Covered).png
    368.5 KB · Views: 227
  • ShoreArea(UnCovered).png
    ShoreArea(UnCovered).png
    416.4 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Level 16
I feel like editing and using custom doodads for a melee map is kinda cheatish, even though if such a simple edit. I don't mind it that much, but i choose not to do it in my melee maps to keep the "completely melee" style. Making some of those goblin merchants into merc camps would unsymmetrize the map, and can potentially give some advantage to players depending on spawn, so will not do it. The green waterfalls is kinda meh yeah, but can't choose another color while sticking to the completely melee style. Same for edges, might take a look at something that can be done. Don't personally mind the wall thingy, but might do it ima try see how it looks and if i can keep sizes etc. The creeps fit just fine, draenei on grass makes perfect sense, the salamander might be a bit weird, but was meant to be a warp stalker ish kinda terrorkar forest creature of sorts. Also creeps in middle only drop 1 item? It's just a random either perma, power up or charged, since making it only 1 of those could make some imbalances with them so close to each other.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Pardon me about the item drop, I checked it wrong. :)

About keeping it "melee map". Yes, you can have the idea that you want to keep it unchanged (I did it too as I began making maps). However even changing the version to the "Latest Melee Patch" makes it break melee rules according to the mark in front of the map name (In Map Selection).

Edit: About the waterfalls, if you do not want to change them, I would myself remove them and lower the land so much that the ground "sinks" to the dark area.

Level 15
Full Review Emerges

While the outland creeps may feel out-of-place, the lore in the map description somewhat made it ok.

Overall the map is pretty neat and symmetrical, the absence of red creep camps keeps a mild pace game matches. The layout is really cool, small yet very maneuverable allowing you to reinforce your base when attack with ease.

Just one thing, the center feels a need of improvement. It's a bit lackluster compare it to the rest of the map.

4/5 from me

The Hive Workshop Official
mr_design_mapreview.jpg

Map Reviewer: eubz
Map Name: Terrorkar Forest
Map Author: Filmting
Map Uploader: Filmting

mr_design_mapaspects.jpg

Design

I like the design of this map but in some places, tiles are a bit off but how you do the balances is cool, though. And, I should also add here how you present your map in your description. You did it well with those video and screenshots.

Score: 75/100

Terrain

Nicely done with the placement of the trees. You have enough environmental doodads. You used the Custom light environment and such though IMO it is nice if water tinting color is somewhat light green or something like that. I just don't think those icy kind of brick tiles fit here, dude.

Gameplay

Item drops are just right as I could see and is based on creep levels/camp levels. Trees and goldmines are just enough for this 4-player map. The map is well-balanced.

mr_design_suggestions.jpg

I would love to suggest you change the green creep camps at the center to orange or red and have some higher level item drops there. Just a suggestion, you know.

No more suggestions here.

mr_design_finalresult.jpg

Final Score: 75.000/100
4/5 Vote for Approval

mr_user_eubz.jpg

Contact: (Visitor Message) / (Private Message) / (Map Reviewers)