• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

In Despair

In Despair

Description

In the outskirts of startholme, the factions prepare for a battle. The outcome will determine what happens with the rest of the region.

Basics
  • 2 Players
  • 1 Tavern
  • 4 Expansions
  • 2 Goblin Merchants
  • 2 Mercenary Camps
  • 1 Goblin Laboratory
  • 1 Fountain Of Health
  • 1 Market Place
Creeps

• 10 green camps
  • 12 orange camps
  • 2 red camps

Uploaded map February 2nd, 2018

Febuary 3rd, 2018

• Fixed the mercenary camp location so that hired units wont get trapped
  • Fixed archway in the bottom-left
  • Adjusted the placement of certain creeps in regard of the aggro towards units moving past

• Creeps
    • Goblin Laboratory
      • Item dropped by rock golem changed from lvl4 charged to lvl 4 permanent
    • Fountain of Health
      • removed lvl2 power-up item from the dragon
      • changed lvl4 permanent item to lvl3 permanent item on the dragon
    • Market Place
      • added two lvl1 power up items
  • Terrain
    • slightly balanced out the AOW creep positions
    • Made the northern half of the map a little wider by removing some trees and changing some cliffs
    • Added more trees to the main bases
    • fixed issues regarding units being dropped on cliffs
    • Added trees to block sight to the western shop
Contents

In Despair (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Another nice map, and from a gameplay perspective, it looks highly promising, but it has a aspects about which I'm not too sure. What definitely should be fixed are the following points: -Big mercs (berserker, ogre, not sure about golem) at the...
deepstrasz
Set to Awaiting Update based on @mafe's review. ------------------------------------------------- EDIT: changes made, Approved.
WolfFarkas
Hello there -I think the health fountain should be far in the north where the fake fountain is, because having the market place and the healing fountain too near each , users may just put they army there and buy items with the hero. I would tower a...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Another nice map, and from a gameplay perspective, it looks highly promising, but it has a aspects about which I'm not too sure. What definitely should be fixed are the following points:
-Big mercs (berserker, ogre, not sure about golem) at the eastern merc camp will be trapped at the southern side of the camp.
-At the western arch at the ramps near the market place, units can pass on the outside. I suppose this wasnt intended. Also, the arch somewhat floats in the air.
-The 3-1-1 bandits will attack units that run towards the merccamp (on the way back). They might kill a peasant that is hurt from creeping. Also the 1-1-1 wizard will attack units that go towarsd the mine (though their damage is almost negligible).

Now for some smaller inconveniences or things which I'm not sure about:
-The western merc camp is better suited for AoW creeping, but I would expect that given the map layout, few nightelves will go for it anyway.
-The market place: Because of the itemdrops on the map, there will be aura items available (also book of the dead). I believe that like 10 years ago, blizzard/the competitive scene agreed that market places are a major balancing concern when item of lvl 4 or higher are available. But not 100% here.
-The northern half of the map consists mostly of relatively narrow paths and chokes. I believe that orcs will struggle hard to win a fight vs talons there, or more generally, that melee based armies will always be at a disadvantage here.
-The map size is relatively large. I think it is fine, but other might disagree. However, in combination with the relatively large areas of unpathable terrain, you can rarely travel the direct path to get from A to B, which means that the map will "feel" even larger.
-I think there could be some more trees near the mainbases.
-At the southwest expansion it is theoretically possilble to put a siege unit on the cliff.
-Health fountain: Another balance issue. Given that a a fountain is already relatively easy to creep, the very good items make it even more appealing. I would remove the tome (so that itis similar to SV).
-I would expect a tome at the market place.
-The sides of most ramps are "sharp".
-Are you aware that the houses dont block line of sight? One can see what is going on at the shop in the east from behind the house south of it (and vie versa). In the west this is alos possible but the vision is more restricted

What I definitely like about the map:
-Itemdrops are good.
-Interesting pathing layout.
-Two expansion options.
-Creep camp on the symmetry axis which players will compete for.
-Points of interest for all phases of the game all over the map.
-Visually it looks similar to blizzard maps but feels much more alive.

Level 4
Thanks a lot for the feedback @mafe, helps me a lot to improve. Made some changes to the map.
I want to adress some of the stuff that you brought up, because i am not sure about them as well.

-The market place: Because of the itemdrops on the map, there will be aura items available (also book of the dead). I believe that like 10 years ago, blizzard/the competitive scene agreed that market places are a major balancing concern when item of lvl 4 or higher are available. But not 100% here.

I changed the drop at the lab to permanent, avoiding a potential book of the dead in the market place. I dont know if the big permanents are a "huge" problem but they really can be. On the other hand, they are really expensive. Another thought that i had regarding the market place is the fact that if one player gets the the big red for example, the other plyer can at least compensate the item.

Health fountain: Another balance issue. Given that a a fountain is already relatively easy to creep, the very good items make it even more appealing. I would remove the tome (so that itis similar to SV).

The fountain is one thing that i was least confident with. I wanted to try it and see how it goes. I think one of the advantages is that its accessable from all sides, making it a little bit more contestable then on SV. But still i think it can be ok. I changed the item from lvl4 to lvl3 permanent to make it less rewarding, because its much easier to creep then i presumed.

But again thank you for the nice feedback! appreciate it alot

greetings, vara

Level 29
Hello there
-I think the health fountain should be far in the north where the fake fountain is, because having the market place and the healing fountain too near each , users may just put they army there and buy items with the hero. I would tower a lot the north path and leave the army in the health fountain to have acces to the tavern and the marketplace. The market place in the north will make the north path more atractive. Since the goblin lab is just to buy a goblin machine once.
-The healing fountain loot, a permanent level 3 and a permanent level 2 that too redundant. Probably you wanted to put a power up level 2
-The goblin market since is near base, could be a bit more defended. Maybe change the mercenary camp position for the market, the market boost hero buying the 3 perma items, while the mercenary, is to buy the orge level 5 and the healer troll, I think the market has more value.
-Don´t leave small gaps between doodads, check with P add blockes if necesary.

Sugestion are not mandatory, but I really think the marketplace and health fountain should be in separate areas, the north path is less atractive than the south as it is.

Rating 5/5