• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Harvest of Sorrow

Planting the seeds of hate. When the ray of light shrinks, let the harvest begin.

By: WorpeX
Version: v1.8 -FML

-=Official Map of the FFA Masters League=-
FFA Masters League

Update History:

v1.8a:
+Set patch to Melee Newst Version, cause I forgot like a scrub
+Recalculated Shadows cause why not

v1.8 -FML:
+Added FML Leaderboard
+Added Unbuildable Terrain to Cliffs
Contents

Harvest of Sorrow (Map)

Reviews
Earth-Fury: Its... a mele map. Approved, as i see nothign wrong with it.

M

Earth-Fury: Its... a mele map. Approved, as i see nothign wrong with it.

Level 7
New Version!

v1.1c Changlog:
-removed a few trees near the exit of every base to open it up a bit more.
-Gold mines have 10.5k main
-11k natural
-16k in between
-8k in the center
-8.5k on corner islands.
-all mercenary camps are now barrens.
-Moved trees to avoid mercenaries being trapped upon purchase.
-Added two troll trappers on corner islands. Removed the wizard.
-Added a Razormane Scout and removed a Quillboar from green camp in
starting area.
-Made minor adjustments to creep position.
-Loads of creep drop changes
-Fixed corner expos so all races can expand there.

Level 3
I played Harvest of Sorrow-1.2B with Rui and bounty hunter. Nothing to much struck me about this map. The terrain seemed kinda boring/plain, probably because its design is similar to a lot of other maps.

The map seems to be balanced, but it could use a little more character. Try adding more (gloomy) doodads and weather.

PS: There are 3 items placed on the ground for no reason. You should remove these.

I give it a 3/5. Not bad, keep it up.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Rui's review for "Harvest of Sorrow", melee map by Captain_Worpex

The layout of this map is good, and the landscape is not so badly terrained. The middle, however, looks too unnatural. The texturing work could also have been better. Elevation wasn't noticeable either.

Neutral buildings. This map does not work for FFA if a few players are closer to a Marketplace and the others are closer to the Goblin Merchant -- it's unfair.
There a lot of expansion Gold Mines, which makes this game interesting by allowing fast expanding.

Creep choice is overall alright (with the exception of the Marketplace guards), their drops are not. Starting with those three items you have, for some reason, dropped on the ground.
For example, two Quillboar Hunters, a Razormane Brute and a Medicine Man drop a lvl2 usable.

There are holes on the trees, causing a scouting worker to run right into a creep camp (teal's position).

My rating for this map is 2/5 (Lacking). It is a pity, because the layout sure is good, but with things like items randomly dropped on the ground lower the rating a lot.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I don't think anyone would want an unfair map on a league, but if you say so...
It's not the rating that counts, by the way. What counts are the problems I mentioned. I must admit, I did not go in detail with everything. If I get to replay the map, I'll be sure to post a better review.

Level 7
Quick update which fixes a balance issue,

-Corner Expansions have been removed and replaced with a marketplace. This was done to stop players from massing towers in the corners of the maps which allowed humans player to gain a significant advantage over other races due to their towers being harder to kill.
-Middle expansions have their gold increased to 12000 (from 10000). This was done so that the removal of the corner expansions didn't make a huge effect on the maps gold.
-Old marketplaces replaced with merchants.

Map is now at version 1.5

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Rui's review for "Harvest of Sorrow" [V1.05, 6-Aug-2009] (melee map by WorpeX)

Attractive map landscape-wise, at least for me. I like "Gold Rush" melee map types, with an accessible terrain and a lot of places to expand.But let's start slow! I've got to express by slight depreciation for the ground texture variation. It's a little poor. Textures from this tileset must be used abundantly, otherwise the terrain looks soulless. Why not try to make roads with Rough Dirt, changing its direction several times, for example? It makes a pretty nice effect and gives life to the terrain.
My advice to replace the Marketplaces has been heard, it seems. The distance from each player to the Merchants still isn't exactly the same, but it's much fairer now.Replacing the Gold Mines with Marketplaces was a good idea. The first time I played, I got the impression that those expansions favored those «you-won't-catch-me» players more than anything else, since they tend to get forgotten... as the new Marketplaces probably will, but since they're very valuable shops, I could be wrong.
Judging from the creator's last map, "Anarchy Castle", I was really disappointed when I found out what a screw-up the drops were.They're not only unequal but imbalanced as well: the Murloc camps in the center have different drops. One drops a Goblin Night Scope, another two drop a lvl2 permanent, and a final drops a lvl1 permanent. I don't know what's the idea, but it damages balance a lot. These creeps are quite attractive early game. A lvl1 permanent or lvl2 charged would be good choices for this camp.Another example of wrongly set drops: while an Ogre Magi and two lesser Ogres drop a lvl2 permanent and a lvl1 powerup, a Razormane Chieftain, a Razormane Brute and a Quillboar Hunter drop a lvl2 charged and a lvl1 powerup. The power level of the latter creep camp is definitely higher.
I consider the drops a very important part of the game. I am reluctant to change my rating.The map remains Approved, it has great potential.

Level 7
Attractive map landscape-wise, at least for me. I like "Gold Rush" melee map types, with an accessible terrain and a lot of places to expand.But let's start slow! I've got to express by slight depreciation for the ground texture variation. It's a little poor. Textures from this tileset must be used abundantly, otherwise the terrain looks soulless. Why not try to make roads with Rough Dirt, changing its direction several times, for example? It makes a pretty nice effect and gives life to the terrain.
My advice to replace the Marketplaces has been heard, it seems. The distance from each player to the Merchants still isn't exactly the same, but it's much fairer now.Replacing the Gold Mines with Marketplaces was a good idea. The first time I played, I got the impression that those expansions favored those «you-won't-catch-me» players more than anything else, since they tend to get forgotten... as the new Marketplaces probably will, but since they're very valuable shops, I could be wrong.
Judging from the creator's last map, "Anarchy Castle", I was really disappointed when I found out what a screw-up the drops were.They're not only unequal but imbalanced as well: the Murloc camps in the center have different drops. One drops a Goblin Night Scope, another two drop a lvl2 permanent, and a final drops a lvl1 permanent. I don't know what's the idea, but it damages balance a lot. These creeps are quite attractive early game. A lvl1 permanent or lvl2 charged would be good choices for this camp.Another example of wrongly set drops: while an Ogre Magi and two lesser Ogres drop a lvl2 permanent and a lvl1 powerup, a Razormane Chieftain, a Razormane Brute and a Quillboar Hunter drop a lvl2 charged and a lvl1 powerup. The power level of the latter creep camp is definitely higher.
I consider the drops a very important part of the game. I am reluctant to change my rating.The map remains Approved, it has great potential.

Fixed the murloc drops, I had been meaning to change this a long long time ago, it just slipped my mind and it never happened. The second one which you had pointed out was not changed. Yes, the Razormane camp is harder, but its not very much harder (level 13 and a level 11). Besides that, the map is made for FFA and the possibility of dropping scout items in a FFA (Sentry Wards, Illusions) is actually better then dropping level 2 perm items (all of which get sold in FFA).