• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Workshop Cup Melee Mapping Contest [Polls Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
hivecup3_contest-png.333330

Banner by Archian

We are excited to announce the first Hive pro-tournament - the Hive Tournament. And we want your maps to be featured in this contest.

Want more information on the Hive Cup Tournament? Click here.

1v1 Competitive Map

Either create a competitive 1v1 map, or nominate an existing map of yours, to be featured in the first ever Hive Cup Tournament. The selected maps will all be featured in the qualifier rounds, and 2 in the final matches. Let your creativity reign while ensuring the map is balanced for competitive play.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Your submission must follow the site rules and map submission rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme.
  • The submission must be posted in the map resource section and linked in the contest thread before the contest ends.
  • You need to have proof that the map is yours. If the judges are unsure about ownership, they may ask you for to provide a link to an approved map on this site, a post containing a WIP, a WIP file or screenshots of one.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • No custom imports are allowed.
  • Triggers are not allowed.
  • The map must satisfy the "Melee Map: Yes" condition as determined by Warcraft 3.
  • Only one entry per contestant.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • In the public poll that will decide a part of the overall score, you are not allowed to vote for your own submission.

other_prizes-png.311512

• First Place: 45 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Fourth Place: 5 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Judges: 5 reputation points

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Balance
Is the map balanced for both teams? Are the positions and distance between points of interest fair? Does the map allow the 4 races to be balanced? Consider balance when implementing the pathing, resources, creep camps, and item drops.50%

Terrain

Is the map visually pleasing in mediums of terrain, doodad placement, and overall theme? Is the map repetitive? Is the aesthetic well designed but not overly obstructive?
35%

Creativity & Uniqueness
Does the map bring something new or creative to the table? This should primarily refer to gameplay, but terrain may also be included.15%

Technical
Bugs and other technical issues will negatively impact the score of a map.-

Judgement: 80%
Public Poll: 20%

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on September 23 2019 and conclude on October 6th 2019 at 11:59PM GMT.

other_entries-png.311509

NameEntry
Jackyy.BaDitO2Shadowfang Keep
WolfFarkasDrakkari Domination
Leo-speoRaging River
SxarSyndicates Hive
Nudl9Starfish Village
lolreportedCalamity
Mr.GoblinFall of Winter
adamcgUther's Slumber
SlushyJonesBlooming Peninsula SJ
Hr.HenciNorthfall Isles
ArrrMoonspark
FolderzMirage Cave
SayuriTenshiRivulet
Jimpanse1Northbound Forest
ometotchtliPicaroons
KnechtLogging Camp
ToggleModGoatSkewed Atoll
AnominesGold Port
IsaakDawning Fall
FatJonah The Poison Vein
KeraelLord of the Pit
SNARTArinas
SveltiWaves of Sandwar
JaleVelikiRuins of Azshara
mafeBrightwater Oasis
AlwaysAndForever#Melee Map1
WayshanNorthwatch Hold
PigEaterPlaguelands
CigaroCapital Island

Attachments

• HiveCup3_contest.png
    HiveCup3_contest.png
    358.9 KB · Views: 30,627
Last edited:
Level 22
@Spellbound, rep for map and cash for tournament.
  • First Place: 45 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Fourth Place: 5 reputation points, an award icon, and your map added to the map pool
  • Judges: 5 reputation points

Level 29
After doing 15 maps in a row, I got bored of it.

But seing this is Black Rock and Roll!!

Count me in!!

edit:
A couple of Sugestions:

1) It would be ideal to have some sort of participants list in the frontpage to track participants, wips and final entry like this:

upload_2019-9-25_0-47-58.png

2) There is no apointed moderator/ staff. I understand that is necesary for all oficial contest in the site: most of times is the arena moderator, or another moderator or former moderator.

3) I think is part of the protocol that the arena moderator post that the contest main page is oficially approved, I didnt saw his post here and in the other thread in the townhall updates and news .I Taggin @Heinvers current arena mod so he can see this and do the green banner.

4) participant limit?

Last edited:
Level 10
Will keep eye on it.

EDIT: so custom import are not allowed, but what about custom object data, like doodads, for example?

The maps need to be labeled as melee maps in the editor. From my memory, any custom data will disallow that label.

No monetary prize for maps?

That is correct. The monetary prize is for the tournament.

After doing 15 maps in a row, I got bored of it.

But seing this is Black Rock and Roll!!

Count me in!!

edit:
A couple of Sugestions:

1) It would be ideal to have some sort of participants list in the frontpage to track participants, wips and final entry like this:

2) There is no apointed moderator/ staff. I understand that is necesary for all oficial contest in the site: most of times is the arena moderator, or another moderator or former moderator.

3) I think is part of the protocol that the arena moderator post that the contest main page is oficially approved, I didnt saw his post here and in the other thread in the townhall updates and news .So Taggin @Heinvers current arena mod so he can see this.

4) participant limit?

Thanks for the suggestions! As we're still early in the contest, there are no participants to report on. I will be adding them to the first post as I see them come in, and there is currently no participant limit.

Level 9
Why isnt there room for a small fee for the winners when there is a pricepool like this? I mean I get its a cool chance to get your stuff played but once money is involved the "work for exposure" thing becomes kinda strange. Dont want to provoke, just asking

Other than that I really like the idea. I also think its better to let people nominate/finish maps since creating a new map isnt easy and this is a better way to actually get good and ladderrelevant maps. Im looking forward to seeing the entries and will finalize and hand in one by myself as well

Level 38
what about custom object data, like doodads, for example?
The maps need to be labeled as melee maps in the editor.
Disallowing participants from using such data seems unnecessarily restrictive. It would be trivial to check each map in the editor to ensure that custom data (not imports) has only been used for doodads and destructibles.

Level 9
Disallowing participants from using such data seems unnecessarily restrictive. It would be trivial to check each map in the editor to ensure that custom data (not imports) has only been used for doodads and destructibles.

True, but Blizzard probably wouldnt add these maps to the ladderpool or would need to heavily edit them. I would guess one of the intentions might be to find maps that actually could be implemented to the game

Level 14

It has always been like that because ladder maps have to be of the same standard set by Blizz. Utilize assets that you are given to best of your ability not to break the Melee status.

Level 38
Blizzard probably wouldnt add these maps to the ladderpool
As this is not a Blizzard-sponsored contest, none of these maps will be "implemented to the game" at all. There's no reason to think any map for any such contest here ever would be.
It has always been like that because ladder maps have to be of the same standard set by Blizz.
Allowing someone to use different doodads has nothing to do with a 'standard' at all. It's sticking to an arbitrary set of models assigned to be doodads and restricting the use of other assets already provided in the game files.

Level 24
Why isnt there room for a small fee for the winners when there is a pricepool like this? I mean I get its a cool chance to get your stuff played but once money is involved the "work for exposure" thing becomes kinda strange. Dont want to provoke, just asking
This.

The thread is confusing, it's listed as a melee tournament, but then accepts map submission and then it's also a melee map contest?
You should remove the words "create" from the map and just list submissions as acceptable entries.
Because it wasn't very obvious or not whether entries recieved any of the prize money or not.
Especially given that the norm has been prize money.
I don't really see the point if you can just passively link older works and win reputation points.
Why go through the efforts of creating a map?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
That is correct. The monetary prize is for the tournament.
No offense, but I would suggest removing that prize pool from the thread then.
It is a bit misleading.

I mean *I* had no interest in joining this anyway since I am not into creating melee maps and
I do not need the money, but others may be fooled by that.

Level 14
As this is not a Blizzard-sponsored contest, none of these maps will be "implemented to the game" at all. There's no reason to think any map for any such contest here ever would be.

Allowing someone to use different doodads has nothing to do with a 'standard' at all. It's sticking to an arbitrary set of models assigned to be doodads and restricting the use of other assets already provided in the game files.

Hopefully, we get that in Reforged. It's possible in SC2 for melee, so why not Reforged.

Level 29
Another Reason to tag the arena mod as I did, is because he does the green banner link, where all contest are show: tech tree, cinematic, terraining, music contest.

This.

The thread is confusing, it's listed as a melee tournament, but then accepts map submission and then it's also a melee map contest?
You should remove the words "create" from the map and just list submissions as acceptable entries.
Because it wasn't very obvious or not whether entries recieved any of the prize money or not.
Especially given that the norm has been prize money.
I don't really see the point if you can just passively link older works and win reputation points.
Why go through the efforts of creating a map?

Probably that is the main question that everybody is doing in its mind (including me): a new map vs an old map.

I think this

1) The melee tournament has a limited amount of time to present maps to the map pool and, well what it said the frontpage...,
so given the little amount of time, hardly people will map (for free) a new map, in fact 12 days remain.
So there is the option to submit and older map, but since it seems a hard contest, probably people can edit and beta test that map a lot,
But that could have a but... but an older map can have bugs, and if it wasnt selected in a tournament before why now? so better to work on it, edit it, not just link it

2) About the new map vs an old map, start from 0 vs start from 90% map done. I think start from 0 has advantages, like you can (Mindfully) design the map, while older maps can just be a for fun unbalanced or just have hidden bugs that can be avoided during the design (fix things is boring).

3) Considering the amount of time, I think it would be wise to acept the contest as it is, since is also a co-sponsored with Back2Warcraft, so it would be wise to do what they want so there would be more co-sponsored contest. Also this is a great resurrection for the melee topic, so to horse free, dont look the fang.

4) I like the for free, with no money reward for mappers, my concern is that with money prize for mappers you could end having like 200 links of older melee maps from here and other sites, but since the contest is short, and aiming for an competitive level, very probably, the contest may have less than 20 participants (just a prediction, not shure about it).

WIP 1 a Northrend map but with tiles of other tileset as well.

upload_2019-9-25_11-43-38.png

upload_2019-9-25_8-38-49.png

View attachment 333469

upload_2019-9-25_11-45-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-25_8-31-52.png
    upload_2019-9-25_8-31-52.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Level 9

Well, you never know. Kam is active here and I would guess Blizzard is always interested in new maps since Reforged will come out at some point and some fresh content wouldn´t hurt. My last map also made it into the pool and was part of a mapping contest on the hive, so I dont see a reason why they wouldn´t check out any potentially good maps that might come from this contest.

I could imagine the hardest part is actually finding maps that have a high enough standard and bring a certain uniqueness to the game that the other maps in the pool can´t provide

Level 29
what if the imports are aesthetic only? like say, doodads of my flowers or plants for example? my last ever warcraft3 map? maybe? lol

it does say imports are not allowed, thats boring!

even if they are aesthethics, change the data of a single doodad, the melee map is set as no. thats why, it must say melee map : yes.
So you cant change the size or color of the doodads neither.

a little of a WIP 2.

Map name is Sapphiron`s Servants , so creeps are theme based with Dragonkins, is like Deathwing cult but with Sapphiron the frost wyrm that Arthas killed and resurrected in Northrend.

upload_2019-9-25_20-8-8.png

upload_2019-9-25_20-7-51.png

Level 24
I takes minutes to find even just 1 person willing to play and even then you're not guarenteed to get feedback.
I've barely played melee so there's only so and so much i can test on my own.
What i want is 50%+ players that are able to stress and find exploits.
I tried several melee discords and streamers, but there's not much help to be found.

Level 19
Here's my submission and I'll consider it done unless something major must be changed; first time creating a melee map!

---

Map Name:
Calamity
Suggested Players: 1v1
Map Size: 96x96 (84x84 playable)

mappreview1.5.5.PNG

Description
Out of nowhere pillars of devestating power penetrated the earth and began to spread the void around them. Now the last remaining forces is at war over the scarce resources left on their consumed and shattered land.

See map link below for more details.

wip1.png wip2.png wip3.png wip4.png wip5.png wip6.png wip7.pngwip8.png wip9.png wip10.png wip11.png wip12.png wip13.png

Map Download

Last edited:
Level 29
Here's my submission and I'll consider it done unless something major must be changed; first time creating a melee map!

---

Map Name:
Calamity
Suggested Players: 1v1
Map Size: 64x64 (52x52 playable)

View attachment 333617

Description:
Out of nowhere pillars of devestating power penetrated the earth and began to spread the void around them. Now the last remaining forces is at war over the scarce resources left on their consumed and shattered land.

6 green camps
4 yellow camps
2 red camps
2 additional Gold Mines
2 Goblin Merchants

Author: lolreported

Map Download

just a friendly hint (dont feel bad about it, there is time to fix/ map, you can edit the submition before the contest ends), probably any beta-tester/ melee mapper will tell you this:

Melee maps for competitive play are in general done in 96x96 and or 128x128.

64x64 is very small for competitive melee.

Level 19
just a friendly hint (dont feel bad about it, there is time to fix/ map, you can edit the submition before the contest ends), probably any beta-tester/ melee mapper will tell you this:

Melee maps for competitive play are in general done in 96x96 and or 128x128.

64x64 is very small for competitive melee.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll see if I manage to expand it before the deadline! :)

Level 4
I takes minutes to find even just 1 person willing to play and even then you're not guarenteed to get feedback.
I've barely played melee so there's only so and so much i can test on my own.
What i want is 50%+ players that are able to stress and find exploits.
I tried several melee discords and streamers, but there's not much help to be found.

Hm u should go to some meele clan channels, i had no problem at all with testing, but it may help when u are a good meele player urself and know lots of high lvl players.. on which server are u? mb i can help a bit

Status
Not open for further replies.