• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Workshop Cup Melee Mapping Contest [Polls Open]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
My theory: you have custom drop table with 3 items, 33% change each. So 3 times 33% equals 99%. Then there's bugged 1% change of not getting any item. I don't know if this is true but I should fix my drops too since I noticed that custom table rarely doesn't drop anything.

If I am correct when you set 3 items manually, 1 of them gets 34% chance of drop and the other 2 33%

upload_2019-10-4_8-52-32.png

That isn't the problem.
Custom item drop tables get swapped around or scrambled, i don't remember the details but a camp would suddenly drop crown of kings.

I remember I used custom items categories for custom item tables,saved the wc3 file, next day, they shuffle, so the red creep was looting a permanent level 2. never again I touched a custom item table in my life.

Level 24
It's not the 99% drop chance.
Shit, i don't have the world editor in front of me right now.
Basicly it's Unit > Items Dropped > The function below Use Custom Item Table
Now what will happen is that either the item tables are swapped around or it's scrambled, either way it's bugged.
Resulting in some bugs like Crown of Kings dropping instead of Permanent 4 or something like that.
It wasn't a bug i knew about and it randomly happend on Wtii's stream when he played my map Howling Pass.
Basicly the only way to ensure it's not bugged is to use the item drop feature you showed on the picture.
Ofc also fix 33/33/34 :p

Level 29
It's not the 99% drop chance.
Shit, i don't have the world editor in front of me right now.
Basicly it's Unit > Items Dropped > The function below Use Custom Item Table
Now what will happen is that either the item tables are swapped around or it's scrambled, either way it's bugged.
Resulting in some bugs like Crown of Kings dropping instead of Permanent 4 or something like that.
It wasn't a bug i knew about and it randomly happend on Wtii's stream when he played my map Howling Pass.
Basicly the only way to ensure it's not bugged is to use the item drop feature you showed on the picture.
Ofc also fix 33/33/34 :p

this table is the bugged one: still haunt my dreams... when I found all the creeps loot shuffle, and fixed manually and then again shuffle. Probably because I had like 14 item categories.

upload_2019-10-4_9-43-28.png

Here my entry:

Gold Port

Its still WIP but I´ll better post it in case something happens and I wont be able to upload the final version till the deadline

another one!!

Last edited:
Level 5
While trying to add item tables to the map and assign it to the units, i noticed that they do not drop the level x items, even tho in world editor the unit has the itemtable with a 100% chance to drop the level x item. Is there something special i have to do?
In the meantime an updated WIP Screenshot :)
upload_2019-10-4_22-50-51.png

Level 15
First time building a Melee map for the contest.
Since i thought having a normal symmetrical map would be standard, i tried to do it a little bit different, but still symmetrical.
Although there are not many props to choose in Icecrown Glacier :hohum:
I'd love to hear your opinions, especially if i forgot something basic or stuff. I'll probably upload it to workshop right before the deadline.

The expansion is too far away from the main, this goes for many maps posted here.

Level 29
Here is my entry:

Northfall Isles

Still in somewhat of a WIP stage, but I might not have time to finish it till sunday, so just uploading to be sure it's here.

The expansion is too far away from the main, this goes for many maps posted here.

there was a debate about that:

close mine + level 16-17 creeps.

distant mine + level 14-12 creeps.

Some are trying new recipes around this.

It may not work, but worth the try to discover something new (of course avoiding doing crayzy stuff).
Also it takes a lot of time to do a perfect melee map, lot of plays and test, do a new map from 0 in 2 weeks was a rush odyssey.

If naturals are far away you should drop it based on how much milita timing is left.
50% milita timer = lvl 17
30% milita timer = lvl 15
15% milita timer = lvl 12
You can also use camp aggro so that you can expand immediately while creeping, which accounts for some of the travel time.

and also you can play with base shape, 1 entrance, 2 entrance , 3 entrance....

Last edited:
Level 29
Here's a WiP. The map will be called ''Waves of Sandwar''.

in melee, usually the wip is the map overview, so the others can see the neutral buildings distribution and map shape and even perhaps give you feedback.
in the screen: sunken ruins tiles + 2 bridges is not exactly a lot of info to show. If you plan to upload a second wip, the map overview would be a better choise.

Here is my wip - map will be uploaded tonight.

great.

Last edited:
Level 6
@Svetli What is the map size? Seems too small, however it can work given the 'labyrinth' style. Although I don't see much place for the creep camps.

I'd suggest 'smoothing' the cliff edges around the center of the map. The low-ground transitions are too chokey due to the right-angled cliffs. Just slice a few 45-degree layers from those.

The starting bases (I assume, left and right) are too small as well. I'd also swap one merchant/lab pair, so they are more diagonal. (Currently you can buy both invuls with a quick and safe zeppelin ride)

Level 6
Great! Most of the entries are shipshape by now. Really good, strong and lovely maps I've seen here so far. It's a pleasure to take part in this event!

Meanwhile, I've made some updates to Lord of the Pit
Looking forward to your feedback as there's not a lot of time left. :)
All in all, I'd say it's ready, but critique is always welcome.

Level 29
Last edited:
Level 6
Any info on when the poll would start? I'm all too eager to share that hyperlink. :)

However it's quite hard to select a single map out of all the wonderful entries we've gathered here. Any chance for increased vote-quota? :P

Level 29
Any info on when the poll would start? I'm all too eager to share that hyperlink. :)

However it's quite hard to select a single map out of all the wonderful entries we've gathered here. Any chance for increased vote-quota? :P

when the numbers of entries is high, is usually to set that: an user can vote as example 5 entries, in that way you dont have to choose a single map but 5 top maps.(as example).

I can think that those who will participate in the tournament will come here to choose the best maps to play.

and about the share of the hyperlink, It would be wise to read the rules of poll before that.
(as example a common rule is that you cant invite your friends to vote for your entry).

about the info of the poll: they are working on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.