1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #15 - Co-op Commanders [Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Wazzz, May 29, 2020.

1. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Contestants are to create a techtree themed around a chosen Warcraft hero/character. Your submission must fit the theme of the chosen hero and ideally capture a style of gameplay attributed to them.

In this contest, I feel it is important to emphasize that entries can meet the minimum requirements to effectively be a campaign faction. Contestants are encouraged to think outside of the box, and there will be a scoring bias towards Creativity, especially if it plays well in the melee format.

• Entries that play well in the melee format will score higher than entries that do not.
    • Entries that present a cohesive theme around the declared hero type or character name will score higher than entries that do not.
    • Your faction must contain at least 6 non-hero units.
    • Your faction must contain at least 1 hero unit.
    • Your faction must contain at least 6 buildings (if your faction has more than 1 defense tower, they will all count as 1).
    • Submissions must specify whether they are intended for HD or SD.

[​IMG]
    • Submissions must follow the Map Submission Rules.
    • Finding voice actors, or testers to test multiplayer mode isn't considered as teamwork, and is allowed.
    • You must download either of the provided template maps, make the edits, and resubmit it as entry.
    • The map must be playable in battle net. (current max map size is 256MB, for example)
    • Using imports is allowed as long as it follows Resource Submission Rules (Models, skins, icons, spells).
    • The submission must be unprotected so that it's openable via the normal WorldEditor.
    [​IMG]
    Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule, you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

Helpful Links: Custom Race System, Design Guide for Fifth Race by MCV, How to create Full-working custom race, Guide to make a Race. (Provided by VeljkoM)

[​IMG]
    • 1st place: 75 reputation points
    • 2nd place: 50 reputation points
    • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
    • Entry: 15 reputation points
    • Judge: 15 reputation points per entry
    The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

[​IMG]

Note: If you have any questions regarding how the contest is going to be judged, feel free to ask the Judges first hand to get their personal insights. Answers provided will not give you insight as to whether or not your entry is meeting that criteria, as that would be coaching.

[​IMG]

Theme How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics, gameplay & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking thematic elements will result in a poor score. /25
    Gameplay How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points. /25
    Balance Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against default races. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc. will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will result in a good score. /20
    Creativity How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; extensive re-use of existing elements in vanilla factions & poor originality will result in a poor score. /30
    /100

Results calculation

• Judgement: 70%
    • Poll: 30%
    FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

[​IMG]

The contest shall begin on 29th of May 2020 and conclude on 29th of July 2020 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Mythic

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  2. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Can we talk about the scoring criteria? I think balance doesn't get the proper recognition it deserves. At least, it should be on equal ground with gameplay in my perspective.

Since we can ask personal insights now, may I hear your insight @Wazzz @Kam? :D

Post edited by @Mythic

[​IMG]
    Contestants Progress Entry
    Riki Martin 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Grom Hellscream
    MyPad 1 | 2 | 3 Mal'furion
    Daffa 1 | 2 Cairne Bloodhoof
    Ether 1 | 2 King Mrgl-Mrgl
    GhostOfPast 1 | 2 Name
    Footman16 1 | 2 Jaina
    johnwar 1 | 2 | 3 Lady Liadrin
    Moonman 1 | 2 Jaina
    Astaroth Zion 1 | 2 Gelbin Mekkatorque
    Directive255 1 | 2 Maiev
    xYours Trulyx 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Chen Stormstout
    Leods 1 | 2 Garrosh Hellscream
    SgtWinter 1 | 2 | 3 Kel'Thuzad
    Bangsgaard 1 | 2 Arthas
    AMarkov 1 | 2 | 3 Uther
    The_Spellweaver 1 | 2 Cho'Gall
    MrRious 1 | 2 Antonidas
    MogulKahn 1 | 2 Falstad Wildhammer
    Spellbound 1 | 2 Antonidas
    The_Warchief 1 | 2 Archimonde
    Name 1 | 2 Name
    Name 1 | 2 Name

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2020 at 1:32 AM
  3. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Daffa absolutely. And that's a good point - there has been less emphasis put on it in past, I think because of the difficulty associated with it, but maybe it can get some more recognition again.

How about... Balance being out of 10, and Creativity being out of 20? I'd be curious to hear people's thoughts on it.

4. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm up for this, either that or perhaps /15 on gameplay if people think that Creativity is being too high for /20.

5. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's true, and gameplay is pretty important. It would give quite a bit more wiggle room in the judging aspect as well, for putting an emphasis on how the faction actually plays.

6. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Hmm, it does seem weird that the banner states "Entry for the 14th Contest", and not 15th Contest.

7. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh snap, that's a good find. That might need an update lol

8. Riki Martin

Riki Martin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow, I didn't expect this haha.

Can I choose the theme for my faction right now or should I wait a bit more?

9. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Best wait till its official.

10. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You can definitely choose if you like - I think it is official to a degree, as in this is the theme we're going with, but the thread will be updated by @Mythic soon.

Hopefully this theme will be a lot of fun. I might even be tempted to make my own entry, which would have to be unofficial of course and done purely for entertainment purposes. I'll leave the actual competing to everybody else :)

11. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    When selecting a character, are we restricted only to Blizzard characters (not exclusively warcraft), or can we go beyond that?

12. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm tempted to say we can go beyond that, although I suppose my original thinking was Warcraft characters as a baseline, and maybe expanded Blizzard universe at most. I'd be curious to see what people's thoughts are on that, so I think for now I'll say it's strictly Warcraft.

We could potentially have an expanded Blizzard universe theme in a later contest, if the idea is popular enough.

13. Riki Martin

Riki Martin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I was thinking on a pair of ideas, but finally decided that my faction will be based on Grom Hellscream and the Warsong Clan, more precisely during their battle against Cenarius, so expect a very aggressive Orc faction :D

14. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ooh, I love that mission in the campaign :D

Very nice choice

15. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Time to think then. Let the think tank begins!

16. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    One thing I would definitely advocate doing would be either looking into the society of the faction you want to represent, or the tactics of the character you have chosen - ideally both if possible. From there, shaping ideas to fit in with the idea should come a little easier. That being said, you can also deviate away from that to branch out into your own ideas, but either way having that core design philosophy should help gear things towards the outcome you want.

I will be working on my own creation for it, although I'll hold off on revealing too much just yet in case somebody chooses the commander I'm wanting to explore myself - wouldn't want to steal their thunder :)

17. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Mal'furion is a Sith Lord.
    That being said, I'm going with Furion, tree-hugging and all.

18. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Great! Grom, and Furion. What's next?

Let's see... I think I need to take my pick soon.

19. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Not actually the entry I'm going with, but a video containing a system that I'm going to use in this contest:
    (A custom buff panel)

20. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Is this team optional contest or solo contest?