1. Triumph has risen from these uncharted shores. The 34th Modeling Contest Results are out!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Awaken what lies in the heart of your swarm. The 17th Techtree Contest has arrived!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Hive Workshop is launching its first HD modelling contest. How HD should it be?
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff Job Openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #17 - Swarm

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Wazzz, Feb 3, 2021.

1. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    late ? this just started the 7, want to participate? welcome aboard!

2. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

Relax, I already founded that troubles. The basic units are trained like in a mercenary camp (instantly but with a bigger cost and a limited stock), and the heroes may be summoned (that is the trouble, I am not sure how to make them respawn). Most units are summoned or evolved from existing units. For that (and other reason I will reveal later) it's a techtree with a ridiculously great mobility and better than anyone in sorpresive attacks, so I may nerf their stats pretty much.
    Anyway, I don't completely discard the chance of something like temporal buildings, idk. Also, we may not forget that the map includes a tavern..

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  3. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    good to know, on contrary my mobile buildings will be slow as hell.
    and some bigger support units will also be slow.

4. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How did you even managed to make mobile structures? Yes, the NE buildings can move, but they aren't strictly structures when they do, they have to become inmovible to create units or spawn heroes. Do you have a similar system, or you somehow discovered how to make that work? I know you can give structures a movement speed and they can move, but then the right click just moves the flag, and that is annoying as hell

5. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    no no, I said "mobile buildings" in a wide way, they will be big units.
    well actually some buildings will be spawned as the mobile form and you will have to root them.
    ( thanks to I choose NE corrupted buildings) (japanese in RA 3 do that)

since you are going with the merc. system, for unit production
    I will use the berserk skill method for unit production. (I used that method before)
    that way, we will have different methods.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  6. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    WC3ScrnShot_020821_181113_01.png WC3ScrnShot_021121_000851_01.png
    WIP 1. All resources extraction systems. For lumber, the Corrupters turn a zone around theme into a sort of summoned half building trees (corrupted tree), that every 2 seconds damages itself by 1 and give 1 lumber to you (oh, and they also give you 5 food while alive, probably the best way to get food). For gold, you can choose between channeling for 30 seconds with your overlord to get 350 gold, or to burrow some scarabs (they will be visible for anyone, and pretty vulnerable) near to the goldmine, where they can extract 10 gold every 2 seconds for each.

Also, i got a big trouble in the middle. The gold system works, but not the method that allows you to get the scarabs (and most of your units). I am using the Bear Form spell to turn some units (amalgamations) into eggs (sort of zerg based stuff), that can be upgraded as towers (they count as a structure, i guess). The trouble is simple, the game crushes (without error banner) while morphing. I tried adding a dependency equivalent to both, but then it just crushes when selecting the unit. I tried changing the order, but still. Does anyone know if its possible to morph into a structure? If so, what could be the trouble? If it isn't, i guess i will change the method you morph into the egg.

Also, @WolfFarkas i guess i have to get some clasified buildings g¿for the evolving stuff, but they will have a temporary and out of board use, so hope to not be disssapointing you there...

Edit: I made some tries, apparently h¿the crushing only appears if the building has upgrade options, even more problematic stuff...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  7. TheManiacWalrus

TheManiacWalrus

Resources:
    Resources:
    I would like to participate but i do have a quick question.
    When it comes to imported models can you make your own models during the competition.
    Or must it be from the hive workshop or something like that?
    (looked at the rules but still were uncertain)

8. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am not the one to respond that question, but an overall hint is:
    dont bother much in models and icons, this contest is all about triggering and units stats.

shure models are important to have a solid theme, and there are tons of models to download and use.
    but this is not a modeling contest, and waste (a lot of time) making unique models may be a mistake, (when there is a lot of work to do designing the upgrades, the triggering for skills, units stats, test bugs )

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  9. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, I see. About the burrow thing, that isn't something I worry about, I want to make the burrowed unit always visible (If not it would be OP us fuck), so I am just using a modified Stone Form from the gargoyle, seems to be working. About the thing of upgrade units... I am not sure if i got the idea. What about putting a lot of permanent and payable (both options into the original spell) boar forms? The only trouble there would be the units that evolve into more than one unit, what makes me think... How many spells of completely morphing are available? With 3 or 4 that don't bug easily I would be fine

10. 7oda

7oda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You know, while I was thinking about a similar thing, I thought about using the phoenix mechanic to act like an egg -> unit system. I don't know how it would work but I hope it helps somehow.

11. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, maybe that into an spell that kills your unit... Not a bad idea, i will think about it.

12. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I was talking of orc burrows (didnt consider undead skill)

you shouldnt have the same spell chain, copied many times in the same unit.
    the cooldowns can be linked (something I saw in the past), to the game is like have 4 bottons to the same 1 skill.

13. 7oda

7oda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Ah, that's unfortunate

14. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, apparently it goes far more problematic than just the spell strign. Apparently, a unit can't be bear formed into another one with another version of bear form spell (e.g. druid into bear into, idk, another bigger boar from the same spell). Now the thing is that it isn't even possible (at least for me, the game just crushes) to do with a nother morphing spell, like the Raven form (e.g. druid into bear into storm crow). Idk if that happens with all the morphing spells (like the weird unit of the undead, the stone form, the spell of NE buildings, etc.) but this can be very problematic, and still not sure where does it come from.

15. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    there is a trigger function that allows you to replace the unit with same % of mana and health

for a set of spells of coldown = 0, you wouldnt notice, so for such cases, is good.

16. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, in my experience, it doesn't only keep the cooldown of all 4 together, n¿but also chatically assignates one of them to allways cast, doesn't matter wich one you are actually casting.

Yeah, but first i just want to be sure there isn't a way that also allows you to see the cost of the new unit, just for stetical stuff... I already tried the Stone form, and didn't worked either. If anyone can give some ideas of permanent morphing spells, it would be pretty useful for me.

Edit: Following the direct transmission, Destroyer Form buggs too. Now I'm gonna try with the spell of the NE buildings.
    Edit 2: Apparently, that spell doesn't even work like I thought it did...

17. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    not shure if this can help you, if you take holy shield and put duration 0
    it literally becomes permanent. I tested it.
    I wonder if you take those morphing spells and put duration 0, should work that way too.

18. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, later I will test if it works with both Metamorphosis and the Chen's ultimate, both could solve the trouble.

19. WinterSnow

WinterSnow

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just finished a (very) rough outline of the for my race and made some units. Gonna try to finish the units before the end of the week before moving on to the buildings. After that, I'll give it a couple test runs and try to remove/merge any redundant abilities and revise the units to make them more unique.

Ratfolk – Swarm of rats!

How do they harvest gold?

Workers mine much less gold from normal gold mines. They need to build a Repurposed Gold Mine to mine the normal amount, and can bunker inside it if they're in danger.

Units:

Cheese Golem - Can be summoned with a cheese token bought from the shop. Heals any units that attacks it. Can not attack.

(done) Slave – Pitifully weak worker unit. Mines less gold from normal gold mines.

(done) War Rat – Versatile and cheap unit. Can learn the Devour ability which allows it to eat a corpse to increase it's attack damage and attack speed permanently. Devour can be used up to 10 times.

(done) Direbow – Ranged unit. Suffers from low health and low range. Can learn the Devour ability.

Plagamancer - Offensive caster.
    • Eyes of the Swarm: Summons an invisible rat to scout enemies.

• Decay: Deals damage over time to the target enemy and slows them. Does not stack.

• Plague Burst: Deal damage to enemies near target ally. Autocast.
    Taskmaster - Defensive caster.

• Hurry: Toggle. Increases the movement speed of all nearby units, except Taskmasters, and causes them to lose health over time.

• Rations: Removes a nearby corpse, and heals all nearby friendly units except the caster.

• Motivation: Instantly kill a target friendly unit. All friendly units near the target gain a bonus to attack speed.

(done) Mutant – T3 tank unit. Benefits from a high hit point regeneration rate and health pool. Can use Grisly Appetite to eat a nearby friendly unit and recover half of that unit's remaining hit points.

(done) Blightfiend – T2 support unit. Boasts high movement speed, and knows Blight and Stalk.

-Blight: Attacks removes all positive buffs from the target and slows. Does not stack.

-Stalk: Gain permanent vision of the target non-hero unit. Can be dispelled.

Cannoneer: T2 siege unit. Attacks leave poison clouds that deal damage to all organic units in it's path. Can upgrade the area of effect of its attacks.

(done) Armour - T2 tank unit. Suffers from low movement speed and turn rate, but boasts high armour and deals damage in a line. Can cast Rally which increases the movement speed of all nearby allied units for a short time.

Parmesan Pitcher - T3 siege unit. Has an exceptionally large attack range but very slow attack speed.

Heroes:

(done) Skullrat- Strength hero. Incredibly durable and intended to support a mass of units.
    • Flesh Offering: Deals 5 damage per second to the target organic unit. If the target dies under the effect of Mortality it will heal all nearby allied units. Lasts 10 seconds.
    • Terrify: Slows all units in the target area and decreases their armour.
    • Apotheosis: Increases the Immortal's attack damage and allows it to heal itself when attacking.
    • Skull Pact: Instantly kill a target allied unit, healing the Immortal for 25% of its maximum health and gaining a permanent bonus to strength.
    (done) Packmaster - Intelligence hero. Summons all over the place. His second ability can be used to give dying units a second wind or turn workers into fighting units for an extra cheesy rush.
    • Summon Giant Rat: Summons giant rats to fight for you. Lasts 60 seconds. Short cooldown. Amount of rats summoned increases per level.
    • Rat Ointment: Apply a magical ointment a target allied non-hero unit. After a few seconds it will become a giant rat with full health.
    • Endurance Savage Aura: Increases the attack speed of nearby allies. Nothing fancy.
    • Rodent Husbandry: Replaces all giant rats with behemoth rats which have more health, damage, and movement speed.

Attached Files:

20. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    How cheesy.

; )