1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let your favorite entries duke it out in the 15th Techtree Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #15 - Co-op Commanders [Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Wazzz, May 29, 2020.

1. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey, I wasn't able to open the provided map (none of the both download links worked). It says that there is missing information.
    Edit: I am also thinking on lots of other heroes, so I can't assure anything (even if I am gonna participate :))

2. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Damn, there's been some... consistent problems with trying to open those maps when provided on here.
    If you can find them in your own copy, that should hopefully fix the issue, although I don't know why World Editor is being so stubborn about this. I believe even @Mythic updated the first post with his own versions, since the ones I provided seemed to be causing issues (I have Reforged, so we thought it might be a bug on that end, like most things are).

3. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    johnwar provided a solution for contestants that uses versions below 1.32, myself included:

4. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Also, just go for Jaina... while we're at it... There is still Dread Lord Jaina, and Lich Queen Jaina (the latter is alternative lore).

5. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Dread Lord Jaina is confirmed :D...
    I was actually thinking to pick Malygos and azure dragons... Maybe I can add a Jaina over there...

6. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    From what I am hearing, it sounds like Jaina has been around quite a bit more than I was aware of.

7. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Aww, come on, Jaina is the first Waifu of many gamers... not far from Sylvanas in popularity I'd say.

She had important roles from WotLK till now really. They turned her from a ¨cute¨ young apprentice into a somewhat zealous and powerful Mage.
    - Started seeing that not all Horde are nice and fluffy
    - Survived a Hiroshima/Dresden style bombing of her people (an entire novel about that)
    - Threw all that ¨let's just all be friends¨ bullshit and focused on alliance
    - And finally came back home and became Lord Admiral

Now I must say, it's not some Mary Sue crap that often is used with female characters, but a well developed character with realistic motivations for her actions and power levels.

I always played as the Horde, only tried Alliance for Classic. But I do like her story arc quite a lot.
    We will see though what will happens to Azeroth and the conflict after Shadowlands, apparently the heroes will come back to another time (not specified how far forth, or even back?).

[​IMG]

Not to spam the thread, I'm posting here my first ¨proof¨ of actually participating.
    So despite saying the skins will take less time, this one took me kind of the whole day... (NOT a WIP btw, that comes later...)

Ghost Ship.png

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  8. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I must say....
    I am Horde.
    Of cours the "let be friends" Anduin stuff is crap and non-sense, but i think it's as viable to create a non aggresion-pact as it's in real life. It's very similar, being most wars the result of a tyranical leading at some group (Horde leaders most time. We must admit Blizzard always give a preferencial treatment to the Alliance).

Gods Moonman, that ship looks just... great
    As far as I know, they aren't back exactly, they will just be living thein non-lives, and we will just see them. The souls didn't even remember their lifes, so I don't think anyone comes to Azeroth :(

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  9. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just thought I'd show off the rough outline of how the faction's starting to look, still a couple of units to add/change but we can see post-Theramore Jaina flanked by a big Dalaran construct and an elemental, we also have the Silver Covenant providing the bread and butter troops along with our two Kirin Tor casters on their steeds. Mobility will be a big part of this race/faction :) We also can see Vereesa another hero option. I'm debating whether to add Kalecgos or not and whether Blue Dragons would fit for another air unit.
    upload_2020-5-31_1-7-34.png

10. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:

I think it is 1 or no heroes. Every Co-op commander is Starcraft 2 is like that. Except Tychus.

11. johnwar

johnwar

Resources:
    Resources:
    The Units and Heroes is complete only their abilities is not yet done
    Lady Liadrin's Army: The Sunsworn - Archer, Ballista, and Dragonhawk Rider
    The Magisters - Priest, Sorceress, Magister, Arcane Golem
    The Blood Knights - Swordsman, Crusader, Blood Knight, Spell Breaker, Sky Guardian
    Heroes: Blood Knight (Lady Liadrin) Ranger (Sunsworn) Grand Magister

12. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Entries are sounding very nice so far. Looking forward to seeing them develop :)

13. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Let's add some cool frost spikes to the Water Elemental, that will look cool.

Looks at skin.... eheeehmmm???

WhatIsThisThing.PNG

Also, Jaina really let herself go after all that Theramore business...

JainaComeOn.PNG

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  14. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's what she gets for not joining her father back then. X)

15. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you find a way to put Jaina skin on Reforged Detheroc for Chungus Dreadlord Jaina, I'll just give you 1st place right away.

16. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As far as I can tell its as many heroes as you want as long as they relate/fit in with the main commander you choose.

17. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Correct. This is partly due to these entries being compared against melee factions, as well as the default melee game having four heroes per race as a gameplay feature (three for reign of chaos, one for a campaign race like the Naga or the Draenei).

Granted, you don't /have/ to have more than one hero, this is the minimum for a reason, buuuut you also don't have to restrict yourself to just the one, and don't even have to have your commander as a playable hero - you could have an Uther Commander, for example, but rather than Uther being one of the heroes, you instead get his closest champions. Maybe instead of Kel'Thuzad, you have special Undead Thralls as his heroes while the big bad lurks in the shadows.

It's totes all personal choice.

Also, on a side note, the Commander I'm putting together partly as a demo but mostly for fun is coming along rather well. A lot of the concepts are shaping up rather well, and I believe I should have it functional for non-RF versions of Warcraft.

18. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm quoting you on that...

Anyways, I need some advice here:
    Balance is a part of the contests, that's all good and nice. However if I use naval units, seeing that technically there are no buildable naval units for the real default race, how is that being judged?
    I of course will add naval units for the enemy. And balance their strength around resource cost etc.

And regarding terrain / map in general:
    Since it is allowed to edit the map (I'm guessing keeping some basic outline), I want to flood some sections to make boats useful (but not mandatory).
    I also would like to keep the co-op idea of playing 1v1 or 2v2, not 3v3 like the map is. Considering that I plan to have set start locations, with two main factions, and two support ones, so it can be played as a
    single player, single player with ally and actual co-op.

So am I good to go?

19. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm contemplating whether or not to lurk in the background and play all the awesome entries coming in or actually participate.

Edit: Aight, made up my mind! Where do I sign up? Thinking about making a Kel'Thuzad commander based around the original RPS gameplay of Alpha WC3. Instead of having to train units, he'll raise them from corpses via Necromancers.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  20. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, the original ruling was that anything except the terrain can be edited - however, @Mythic and I have been discussing this point and think that rule is redundant. If users want to edit the terrain, then why should we restrict that? In most cases, it doesn't inherently provide an advantage to the overall design of the techtree, and rather it's an extra thing that some contestants might just want to do. So, we believe you should be fine with that.

As for including naval units, that is... a very good question. I suppose a part of it will be the feel of how effective they are - especially if they're capable of destroying bases without any feasible counter to them, but also similarly if it just feels like a waste to get them. When it comes to naval vs naval, that will also be an aspect, but you should also account for how it interacts with Naval vs Air and Naval vs Land, and if those are key features. For example, if you have a Battleship that can shoot cannonballs across the entire map to destroy bases while remaining untouched, the balance of such a ship is going to be called into question.