• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #15 - Co-op Commanders [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I see. Guess I've reflected my new found excitement for SC2 further than it should have been!

Anyways, it should be no problem to adjust some values and the idea itself. However making a single
hero more powerful seem to still fit the balance, provided the power growth will work similar to recruiting
the 2nd and 3rd hero on the time scale. Plus having less units would also allow for the hero to be balanced
around that... just need to be careful there.

@Footman16 Have played once through the your entry... dude, you really have not been doing much else
than the contest, have you? :D
It's pretty damn nice for such short time. Synergy with summon and heal seems to be a great idea. As it
was expected there are a lot of casters and a reliance on mana, which works good with the crystal unit.
Great that you picked the custom Jaina voice, I myself have gotten some sound files from wowhead, and
even combined some together... however sadly both our facefx don't quite match with the quotes, not sure
how to fix that little thing.

Regarding feedback on issues:

- One thing that you should do right now, is update the Bnet map description with the 90% thingy.
- Big-ass golem's fist icon could actually be the edited stone Slam icon, just make it passive and change
the colour a bit (it's not nitpicky, is it?).
- You could change the altar birth a bit, not even needed to add the statue, you can just remove the old
king one.

Regarding feedback on issues:

- One thing that you should do right now, is update the Bnet map description with the 90% thingy.

Done :)
- Big-ass golem's fist icon could actually be the edited stone Slam icon, just make it passive and change
the colour a bit (it's not nitpicky, is it?).

Also Done
- You could change the altar birth a bit, not even needed to add the statue, you can just remove the old
king one.

Hmmm, I've tried removing all geosets that have the King statue but it still seems to be there, I'm not an expert at modelling so I think this might be a little beyond me for now sadly :/

Thanks for the feedback though! Hope your entry's going well.

I will be going for only one hero for this race, which is Chen Stormstout. That leaves me open to create some abilities that would fit and most importantly, balanced for a solo Hero.

Here's my concept of Chen's abilities:

Q Ability

W Ability

E Ability

R Ability

BTNStormEarth&Fire.png

Shamanistic Elements
( 8 Second Cooldown, 50 Mana )

Chen gains an Aura based on his current Element:
Storm - Aura of movement and attack speed
Earth - Aura of slowness and blindness
Fire - Aura that deal continual damage

Using this ability shifts Chen's elements into the next order and emits a damaging shockwave to nearby enemies based on the next element. Inebriated enemies are stunned for 3 seconds when hit by the shockwave.

Level 1 - Shockwave deals 60 damage.
Storm: 15% attack/movement speed
Earth: 20% slow, 10% miss chance
Fire: Deals 8 damage per second.

Level 2 - Shockwave deals 120 damage.
Storm: 25% attack/movement speed
Earth: 30% slow, 20% miss chance
Fire: Deals 15 damage per second.

Level 3 - Shockwave deals 180 damage.
Storm: 35% attack/movement speed
Earth: 40% slow, 30% miss chance
Fire: Deals 22 damage per second.

BTNHappyHour.png

Happy Hour
( 20 second cooldown, 75 mana)

Chen takes a drink from his barrel, becoming Drunk for 10 seconds and healing himself for a portion of his max health over the duration. Applies Inebriated to nearby enemies.

When Drunk, Chen's attacks deals bonus area of effect damage around his primary target.

Level 1 - 15% max health healing, 10 bonus AoE damage.
Level 2 - 25% max health healing, 20 bonus AoE damage.
Level 3 - 35% max health healing, 30 bonus AoE damage.

PASShimmerplant.png

Exotic Ingredients
( Passive Ability )

Enemies that die near Chen will sometimes drop rare ingredients that only Chen can pick up to concoct his latest brews, gaining permanent bonus stats.
Heroes and enemies above level 4 will always drop an exotic ingredient.

Additionally, Chen also has a chance to evade attacks.

Level 1- Low drop chance, 10% evasion.
Level 2 - Medium drop chance, 25% evasion.
Level 3 - High drop chance, 40% evasion.

74825-3fa2cdebdf15831bf08a37b341be1e61.jpg

Storm, Earth, And Fire
(180 second cooldown, 150 mana)

Splits Chen into elements, forming 3 specialized warriors. The warrior with Chen's chosen Shamanistic Element will gain a significant boost to his stats. If any of them survive until the end of their summoned timer, Chen is reborn.
Lasts 180 seconds.

Last edited:
Level 13
I've been busy with IRL stuff so I don't have much to show, but I figured I should at least show some progress. Initially Kel'Thuzad's workers were going to be normal Acolytes, but a friend of mine suggested something pretty cool so I thought I'd do it. Kel'Thuzad's builders are now the Necrolytes themselves, being able to summon structures and skeletons from corpses. They can also channel their energies at a Laborer's Tomb (in a way similar to the Haunted Gold Mine) to summon a pair of Dredges, skeletal workers that can harvest and repair. If a Necrolyte stops channeling, the pair of Dredges they've summoned will instantly die.

Attachments

• WC3ScrnShot_060620_153628_01.png
    WC3ScrnShot_060620_153628_01.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 146
Ok, this is the last time I'm SPAMMING this thread with my sound nonsense.
But do check out wowhead sounds for immersive effects on your spells... it's really a goldmine.
For example A lot of Monk drink and brew sounds could be used for @xYours Trulyx entry:
Sounds
SPELL_MK_BREWDRINK
Sounds

MrRious

M

MrRious

Does anyone have any idea where I could find some Dalaran/Kirin Tor buildings?

Also, pretty soon I'll share some WIP screens. So far everything is going great and though it's the first time I've entered a WC3 contest, I'm having a blast! I'm sure, you'll like some of my ideas. Plus, so far they're trigger free. (this will definitely change quite soon)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have any idea where I could find some Dalaran/Kirin Tor buildings?

Also, pretty soon I'll share some WIP screens. So far everything is going great and though it's the first time I've entered a WC3 contest, I'm having a blast! I'm sure, you'll like some of my ideas. Plus, as of now they're trigger free. (this will definitely change quite soon)
Hi bro her is the link Ujimasa Hojo created many building for different factions

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Moonman, that Sound resource thing is a fantastic suggestion, thank you.

I second (third? fourth?) the motion of creatively utilizing the standard in-game abilities in interesting ways/combinations. It's not just a matter of "less work" (which it arguably isn't), but it's the way Blizzard did their own stuff. Wc3 is full of Wc2 & Sc1 stuff. And even inside Wc3, there are abilities that are combinations of pre-existing abilities (Drunken Brawler, anyone?). It's how I've always done all my best work.

The only problem with that is that, for whoever is Judging "Creativity", it needs to be very clear by what metric that is being determined. (see the "hidden"-tagged wall-o-text about the subject here). If Creativity is Judged along the lines of "has this ever existed in any other game or on the Hive before", well, that's a pretty high (unreasonably high, IMO) bar to reach.

There needs to be a baseline for contestants to work from, which for Techtree Contests has always been the base melee game.
I agree, though I don't think it has to be the 'base melee game' (just the best Contests do xD). You can pick some other metric upon which to Judge that... Or heck, just lower the Balance Criteria (or remove it entirely) & don't worry about it.

I think we should feel free to have Contests run that way (even if I don't personally agree with them).

@johnwar So I gave it a wee preliminary playthrough and a few things stood out to me.

Pros:
  • Lady Liadrin's pretty cool, nice abilities, low hp at the start for a melee hero but its managable
  • I liked the use of the female Swordsman model/icon rather than going for the standard Blood Elf Lieutenant model :)
  • The use of custom assets is really good, love the aesthetic and feel of the race.
  • Generally speaking the Tier 1 are all well balanced and cool.
Cons:
  • So unfortunately upon trying to cast the Sorceress' mass slow it crashed my game, also I noticed mass slow has a point target rather than an AoE target circle which is a bit strange.
  • The casters, oh boy do they look broken lol. Generally speaking you should avoid giving DD abilities to units, Blizzard rarely does it and with good reason with the only two examples I can think of being lightning shield and Aerial Shackles and even then lightning shield is different. Entangle, Flamestrike and a Phoenix with Phoenix Fire would decimate most enemy armies at T1 and T2. Chain heal on the priest with resurrection will make your armies unkillable, especially since resurrection is the adept spell. Sorceress isn't too bad, my only concern would be her adept spell, a chance to do 30 bonus damage is a lot for a caster, her spells seem to be AoE versions of the regular sorceress so arguably a stronger sorceress for roughly the same price.
  • I can't click on the Altar whilst its training a hero.
I'm a bit disappointed my game crashed because I wanted to give you a more complete review and I feel like a lot of the races good points would come from its later units and upgrades but I think balancing will be the biggest aspect for you to take into account atm. But Good luck and I enjoyed the time I got to play them.

Level 35

I have no idea why you're saying finally here, you're amazingly prompt as it is :)
It's actually pretty amazing to not only see such a popular turn out for a Techtree Contest, but to also see so many people turning in entries so early with the intent of using the rest of the time productively for fine tuning. Keep up the good work <3

Is it okay to use custom spells from the spells section? and models from underground? :)

Yep, both are more than acceptable :)

Ok, this is the last time I'm SPAMMING this thread with my sound nonsense.
But do check out wowhead sounds for immersive effects on your spells... it's really a goldmine.
For example A lot of Monk drink and brew sounds could be used for @xYours Trulyx entry:
Sounds
SPELL_MK_BREWDRINK
Sounds

How do you download them, whenever I do it, its always in some strange format that I can't use?

Level 15
I am using 1.27 version of the game, and every time I save something in this "duststorm map", I am getting errors. And every time I load it, it is written that this map was saved by another version of the World Editor.

Is it possible for me to use another map instead of this map for the contest?

MrRious

M

MrRious

I am using 1.27 version of the game, and every time I save something in this "duststorm map", I am getting errors. And every time I load it, it is written that this map was saved by another version of the World Editor.

Is it possible for me to use another map instead of this map for the contest?

I think the newest patches screw something up with the creeps and neutral buildings. They're displayed as blank player rather than the natural enemy. Try changing that and everything should work just fine.

The contest map is Duststorm, if you are having errors it is unlikely to be that specific map, and more likely to be a World Editor issue. If you were using a version of the map that was mismatched to the version you are using, it is unlikely it would open in the first place.

You know, versions have been an issue lately. The contest should decide which version the participants should use.

Level 35
Given it's only backwards compatibility that seems to be an issue, and not the other way around, the contest deciding which version participants use isn't that necessary. Ultimately, if there was a version decided for contests, it would likely be the latest version, which not everybody has access to. If it's a Pre-Forged version, then people with Reforged installed are unlikely to have access to it.

When it's a matter of choosing your own version, and selecting the version of the map that works for you, then it's easy enough. If there are issues persisting with your version of World Editor, that is unlikely a complication according to the contest, and more likely to be a complication around your copy of the game, which is unfortunate but can hopefully be resolved.

Problem is non-reforged users (basically versions below 1.32+) are unable to test maps made in that version. I would have given feedback if my Warcraft is able to open all these Reforged entries.

Id say this is definitely a problem if people who choose to use reforged do worse just because people dont have reforged and are unwilling to get it. Those are votes reforged entrants will be potentially missing out on.

Level 35
Most people who vote in Public Polls tend not to play the entries anyway, and those that do often only play a select few, maybe just one.

That being said, the two Reforged entries in the previous contest took both First and Second place in the previous contest, so the public polls might be the only bad area. Which, of course, has always been the most questionable area for any Techtree Contest, but given the alternative is results being based purely upon the scoring of Judge's, it's sort of kept in as somewhat of a mediator.

Level 4
Hey,

I'd like to join the contest. My techtree will be themed around either Anubu'arak or the non-undead Nerubian Kilix. But Nerubian anyway.

One question regarding the original post: What is the difference between the two maps above? Which one am I supposed to use? (I use the latest version of Reforged)

And an off-topic question: Is there a good skinning tutorial for Reforged somewhere on Hive Workshop or elsewhre on the internet?

And an off-topic question: Is there a good skinning tutorial for Reforged somewhere on Hive Workshop or elsewhre on the internet?

Oh I wish there was, let's just say some of us making the intrepid steps into discovering the mystical and nightmarish world o Reforged Texture editing.

Level 35
Hey,

I'd like to join the contest. My techtree will be themed around either Anubu'arak or the non-undead Nerubian Kilix. But Nerubian anyway.

One question regarding the original post: What is the difference between the two maps above? Which one am I supposed to use? (I use the latest version of Reforged)

Very nice to see an Anubu'arak entry, or a Kilix one, I look forward to seeing this develop. You can use either of the two maps, _lv is just the ladder version and thus likely to be the most updated, but not everybody has access to it.

Reforged skinning is a lot of trial and error at the moment, and while it's something I dabbled in myself in the previous contest I am hesitant to give any advice on it given I probably did a relatively lackluster job. The best I can suggest is either getting a .dds plugin for photoshop, if you don't have one already, or if you're like me and just couldn't get that to work then you can use GIMP to convert it to a format for use in Photoshop, or just outright use GIMP. Anything beyond that is pretty open to interpretation at this stage.

Another WIP, this time on the man himself, Mal'furion Stormrage.

First Skill - Force of Nature
Has 2 phases. On the first phase, Malfurion spawns a ring of trees around a target area. On the second phase, Malfurion casts a regular Force of Nature.​

Second Skill - Entangling Trees
Spawns a number of Slender Trees that entangle nearby enemy units upon suiciding.​

Third Skill - Druidic Armor
A passive skill whereby Malfurion receives increased armor and a bonus chance to reduce, block, or heal from damage instances.​

Ultimate - Summon Ancestral Spirits
Malfurion, through the Horn of Cenarius, calls upon the Ancestral Spirits, dealing heavy area of effect damage over 40 seconds.​

Early game, Malfurion is a bit more fragile than a regular Lich, and his skills are quite costly relative to his Mana Pool. Throughout the game, Malfurion gains a lot in bulk and durability, transitioning to a tanky Hero. In the late game, Malfurion's health pool is slightly higher than a regular Mountain King and can easily devastate your enemies if left untouched.

Strength: 4.5
Agility growth: 1.5
Intelligence growth: 2.5

Level 35
@Wazzz
Hey, can I edit the original Pandaren Brewmaster that you can hire in the Tavern? I would like to change his skins so that Chen Stormstout can be easily differentiated from a regular Pandaren Brewmaster. I will make no changes into his stats or abilities. Only his name and skins.

That should be fine, it's definitely within contest rules. Technically speaking, I think everything can be edited according to the rules, which... might be a bit strange for balance testing and whatnot, but that doesn't really become an issue for an aesthetics change.

First off, the regular Pandaren Brewmaster that is hired from the Tavern is now changed to Furbolg Brewmaster, to avoid inconsistency with the main faction:

FurbolgBrewmaster.png

The Furbolg Brewmaster's ultimate names have also been changed from "Storm, Earth And Fire" to "Thunder, Stone And Blaze" to make it easier to differentiate between Chen and a regular Brewmaster. His Breath of Fire's icon has also been changed because the original depicted a Pandaren.

With that out of the way, here are some unit WIPs. The building below is the Tier 1 unit production structure, Alehouse.

alehouse.png

Brawler , Tapper ,Drunken Monk
Alehouse_Preview.png

Researches:

Research1.png
Research3.png

Research2.png
Research4.png

drinkingbuddies.png

I plan to make these abilities as unique and distinctive from the vanilla races as possible. I don't want Kam to say "hurr durr ability reusing 6/10".

Level 35
First off, the regular Pandaren Brewmaster that is hired from the Tavern is now changed to Furbolg Brewmaster, to avoid inconsistency with the main faction:

The Furbolg Brewmaster's ultimate names have also been changed from "Storm, Earth And Fire" to "Thunder, Stone And Blaze" to make it easier to differentiate between Chen and a regular Brewmaster. His Breath of Fire's icon has also been changed because the original depicted a Pandaren.

With that out of the way, here are some unit WIPs. The building below is the Tier 1 unit production structure, Alehouse.

View attachment 357159

View attachment 357154

Researches:

View attachment 357150 View attachment 357157
View attachment 357151 View attachment 357158

I plan to make these abilities as unique and distinctive from the vanilla races as possible. I don't want Kam to say "hurr durr ability reusing 6/10".

A new Furbolg hero to play with? Very nice :)
Does that mean the Thunder, Stone and Blaze summons from the ulti will also be Furbolg? Hell yeah for Furbolg representation :D

A new Furbolg hero to play with? Very nice :)
Does that mean the Thunder, Stone and Blaze summons from the ulti will also be Furbolg? Hell yeah for Furbolg representation :D

Ye
ddddduel.png

Also, their proper names are also changed to a more Furbolg name. A Stormstout relative that's a Furbolg would make no sense :/

Level 35
@xYours Trulyx If you don't use this music in your entry I'm gonna rage!

Maybe just an easter egg ;)

There's not been a lecture before, you know better than to slide passive aggressive statements where seeking further clarification on points concerning previous judgments was made available. I don't see much value in covering what has been covered extensively in past.

Kam hasn't provided a closure though.

Level 9
Hello Commanders!
This is my hero teaser and presentation of the Shield of Faith (protection against physical damage due to mana).
The army is based on global mechanics - Faith. Faith depends primarily on the number of built Temples of Light.
It affects the strength of the abilities of Uther's army, as well as the initial supply of mana.

Hello Commanders!
This is my hero teaser and presentation of the Shield of Faith (protection against physical damage due to mana).
The army is based on global mechanics - Faith. Faith depends primarily on the number of built Temples of Light.
It affects the strength of the abilities of Uther's army, as well as the initial supply of mana.

Looks cool, I've just finished re-modelling a Captain model to make a Silverhand Captain, once I'm done I can send you it if you want?

MrRious

M

MrRious

View attachment 357159

View attachment 357154

Researches:

View attachment 357150 View attachment 357157
View attachment 357151 View attachment 357158

These look excellent, man. I think I already know who's the winner here.

Status
Not open for further replies.