1. Vote on the best bounty the oceans have to offer! The poll for the 34th Modeling Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Awaken what lies in the heart of your swarm. The 17th Techtree Contest has arrived!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out the Staff Job Openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hive 3 Remoosed BETA - NOW LIVE. Go check it out at BETA Hive Workshop! Post your feedback in this new forum BETA Feedback.
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #17 - Swarm

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Wazzz, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Contestants are to create a Techtree themed around Swarm. Interpretations are encouraged to get creative and think outside the box.

• Entries that play well in the melee format will score higher than entries that do not.
    • Entries that touch upon real world religions or faiths are to be respectful towards such religions, without inhibiting creative flow. Keep it civil.
    • Your faction has no prerequisites for how many structures, heroes or units it must contain at a minimum or maximum.
    • Submissions must specify whether they are intended for HD or SD.

[​IMG]
    • Submissions must follow the Map Submission Rules.
    • Submissions may not begin development before the contest start date.
    • You must download the provided template map, make the edits, and resubmit it as entry.
    • Post at least 2 media (images or videos) of your workflow Works in Progress before the deadline.
    • The map must be playable in battle net. (current max map size is 256MB, for example)
    • Using imports is allowed as long as it follows Resource Submission Rules (Models, skins, icons, spells).
    • The submission must be unprotected so that it's openable via the normal WorldEditor.
    • Teamwork is not allowed.
      • Testing and feedback aren't considered teamwork, and are allowed.
    • Upload your final entry to the Map Resource Section, and indicate that it's an Entry for the 17th Techtree Contest. Link to your bundle in the contest thread.
    Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule, you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

Helpful Links: Custom Race System, Design Guide for Fifth Race by MCV, How to create Full-working custom race, Guide to make a Race. (Provided by VeljkoM)

[​IMG]
    • 1st place: 75 reputation points
    • 2nd place: 50 reputation points
    • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
    • Entry: 15 reputation points
    • Judge: 15 reputation points

The three winners will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Theme How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics, gameplay & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking thematic elements will result in a poor score. /25
    Gameplay How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points. /30
    Creativity How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; extensive re-use of existing elements in vanilla factions & poor originality will result in a poor score. /45
    /100

Results Calculation

• Judgement: 70%
    • Poll: 30%
    FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

[​IMG]

The contest shall begin on 7th of February 2021 and conclude on 7th of April 2021 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2021
  2. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    damn, that was quick

3. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Hmmm, swarm isn't exactly a theme I'm particularly keen on, and I've got other Warcraft 3 modding I'm doing atm. Not to mention Feb to April is a busy time of year for me sooo... we'll see if I'm able to join.

4. Riki

Riki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I would like to say that I will join this one, but I am not sure I can as I have other things to do right now.

If I come up with some ideas soon, I might join.

5. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Date may be susceptible to change, and it seems that Mythic may not be moderating this contest, so we'll need to find out who will.

6. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]

Contestants Progress Entry
    @SgtWinter 1 | 2 | Nisharus' Brood
    @Footman16 1 | 2 | Name
    @Riki 1 | 2 | Name
    @Alexen 1 | 2 | Name
    @7oda 1 | 2 | Name
    @Leods 1 | 2 | Name
    @MyPad 1 | 2 | Extremodroids
    @WinterSnow 1 | 2 | Ratfolk
    User 1 | 2 | Name
    User 1 | 2 | Name
    User 1 | 2 | Name
    User 1 | 2 | Name
    User 1 | 2 | Name
    User 1 | 2 | Name

mmemm @Wazzz probably you already know but, just in case wich melee map is gonna to be used?.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  7. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh yeah, a map. That should probably be chosen at some point.

Yeah, we'll probably go with another 1v1 map, I'm happy to see what suggestions there are for the template in this contest - ideally it should be one people have access to across multiple versions.

Also I hear that @Archian is handling things on the contest area at the moment? I hope that's accurate, otherwise sorry for the tag lol

8. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Booty Bay, just kidding, I think most 1v1 maps will be suitable :)

Also since there's no minimum requirements I will submit my custom techtree with a total of 0 buildings and 0 units. Consider this post my final entry :p

Just kidding but you might want to add just the bare minimum in terms of structure's units like 2 structures and 4 units and 1 hero minimum at least.

9. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    has to be a ladder map or a comunity map can also apply?
    in case of comunity maps I was thinking this, was used in cups and leagues.

Crystal Kingdom - Liquipedia Warcraft Wiki
    Crystal Kingdom

or this, was used in a finale of a cup

Irresistible Mind
    Irresistible Mind - Liquipedia Warcraft Wiki

both are 1.24-1.28 so it can be opened in 1.29 1.31 1.32 ....

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow that was quick. How was the Theme chosen; second-most popular from the last Poll?

11. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The reason there are no minimum requirements put in is because someone might want to try a race with 0 units, and only buildings. A challenging notion, no doubt, but impossible to allow if there's a minimum requirement on units. The same could be said on the inverse, should a contestant want to do a nomadic faction that doesn't implement buildings, but instead utilizes units. There is also, of course, the possibility of somebody actually pulling off an entry that successfully circumvents the use of heroes completely.

If a contestant does, of course, want to put in an entry that has nothing at all, they are welcome to do that. They will, of course, receive 0 in all areas.

As for the map, community maps can be applied - in fact, I believe the last one we used was from a previous terraining contest if I'm not mistaken. We considered looking at more recent contests, but found there could be issues with version conflicts, which isn't good for equity as not all contestants run the same version.

Also, I should reiterate, the date is a placeholder. If this doesn't get approved by a moderator then it's probably just not official tbh.

12. Archian

Archian

Site Director

Resources:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not at the moment, no.

13. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Ah, I heard wrong then I think. Apparently Mythic isn't doing it at the moment, so I'm not sure who is.

14. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

my bad I assumed wrong from the texturing topic. my apology to both of you

I was looking that Naze retired (he got the formerly staff badge)
    but @Heinvers still holds the charge of arena mod. His last login was in 15 jan
    thats the only staff, that I am aware we can write now.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
  15. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I trust that everything will go smooth as a baby's butt. Contest approved. Good luck!

16. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice, thanks :)

I'll change the date a bit to reflect when it got approved, so people aren't cheated out of a few days.

17. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Notice added.

18. Alexen

Alexen

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Count me in. The leader of the Swarm will bring forth the ultimate army!

19. Riki

Riki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm in again.

I'll reuse most of the aesthetics (models and textures) from my old incomplete entry for the 12th Contest, and completely redesign the mechanics to fit this new theme.

There should be no troubles with that, right? Since I abandoned that entry a long time ago and finally ended up deleting it, so I'll just reuse the aesthetics.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  20. 7oda

7oda

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Exciting to see people's works! Might try my luck for the first time :peasant-blushing: