• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pirate Cove

QwfFzgI.jpg

Pirate Cove
Created by WTii

Introduction:

Avast ye salty sea dogs! This be a quest not for the lily-livered. Yer sprogs better down ye grogs and hoist the Jolly Roger!
Thar be great booty, pieces o'eight and Doubloons hiddin within the depths of Davy Jones Locker!
Dare ye discover Pirate Cove?

Map Info:

Players will raid & plunder each other in this tight yet open multipathed 1v1 map until the Victor is left remaining to collect the great booty of Pirate Cove!

Features:

*2 Extra Gold Mines to fight over for resource/map control
*2 Goblin Merchants
*2 Goblin Laboratories
*2 Mercenary Camps
*2 Taverns (1 each side... in a location that allows flexible use of Neutral Heroes especially for harass)
*6 Green creep camps (3 each)
*8 Orange creep camps (4 each)
*2 Red creep camps (1 each)
*Plenty of paths & choices to take as well as make! The expansion spots force players to push out/defend near the middle of the map allowing for more action if the enemy player spots a potential expansion.

Video Links:

The first video shows off the creeps/terrain of the map. It is like a promotional trailer.

The second video shows 1v1 gameplay on the map (a more beta like version as I've since took the time to improve it after taking into consideration the feedback I received.

Thanks for looking and enjoy! Arrrrrrrrrrr!

Keywords:
WTii, 1v1, melee, pirate, cove, fun, booty, gold, top.
Contents

Pirate Cove (Map)

Reviews
Orcnet21:53, 7th Aug 2013 Map Approved Pirate Cove (No Version/s Stated) RateScorePercentLetter 5/591-100A RateScorePercentLetter 4/581-90%B RateScorePercentLetter 3/575-80%C RateScorePercentLetter 2/570-74%D...

M

1b5e5a7776e87f86f9c6951fa3dad711_64508.gif
Orcnet21:53, 7th Aug 2013

Comment

Review

Map Approved
Pirate Cove (No Version/s Stated)

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
5/591-100A

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
4/581-90%B

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
3/575-80%C

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
2/570-74%D

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
1/550-69%F

Overview:

Gameplay

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"The map is steady and well informed for a 1v1 melee, although the map is a 1v1, I'm expecting all odds including drop rates, resource expansion should be an easy get up. I don't like where the red and orange creep camps are a bit dominating, you should decrease creep difficulty."

Terrain

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Terrain looks devastating, not to mention detail but overall mechanics of the melee genre. Really the map doesn't support cliffs, and by cliffs you use them to either block the player's region and lumber harvesting background to avoid worker units getting contact to arriving areas they have harvested lumber into(e.g getting near a creep camp, reaching enemy base, etc.) I would like you to cope with that, and about the detail its lacking I suggest you work it more with rocks and tile variations."

Management

addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif

"Overall I may not be sure about strategic role and proper arrangement, but since the map is sufficient for melee needs, I would just say do work more on battlefield maintenance."

Total Score:

Rate
ScorePercentLetter
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
addrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
th_blankrev.gif
8/1577%C

Review of Pirate Cove
By Legal_Ease
Comments
WTii, you are a youtube superstar, I didn't know you were on the Hive. I love your youtube commentaries. Been a fan foerever!
Your commentary is some of the best for learning to play TFT well. This map is really great balance and is quite interesting.

The Pros
- Great organization and arrangement of shops, creep camps and mines, etc.
- Nice ambiance and unique theme.
- Good drops.
- Terrain looks nice and has a distinctive feel.
- Of course, awesome youtube demo.

Suggested Improvements
- Description is lacking color and could be improved with a template. (see links below)
- Broken image link in description, suggest you fix it. [ok fixed] [EDIT] The image is very large and jumps passed the edge of the page.
This creates a page formatting issue. One solution is to use a smaller image, another would be to put it in a hidden box using:
[hidden="click"] [img]Your image here[/img] [/hidden]. I think the best thing might be to crop the image.
- Terrain tiles and height could use a little more variation.
- Blizzard cliffs and sharp terrain - ok with me but some say it looks better to use soft terrain and custom cliffs.

Overall Rating
5/5, + rep. This is a great addition to the Hiveworkshop's selection of melee maps. Thank you for sharing this fine piece of work.

Last edited:
Level 7
First of all, thanks for all the feedback.

@UndeadImmortal
*Map category is missing.
A - This is now fixed.

@titans_zealot
*Very nice, personally like the Title that matches with the map.
A - Thank you, since checking some of the maps out on Hive Workshop I've noticed that it's fun & good to have a strong theme to boost the map.

@Legal_Ease
Thanks for the feedback. I have tried to fix most of the improvements you have mentioned, specifically the description & broken links. Next time I will aim to try combining templates should I attempt another Underground style map.

@abgm
Your feedback is very clear & informative.
The doodads spam was mostly in the middle as this is an area unlikely to effect players & was to enhance the theme of Pirate Cove with lots of trasure & booty.
I felt like I needed something there at the bottom right, maybe the Arc looks a little odd but I felt it didn't harm the balance or feel 'too much'
I agree the camera limits should be increased slightly to give a more cavernous feel but I am a little concerned regarding the sheer amount of extra wood there would be behind the players starting location.
That tile set is weird, I wanted to try and put everything in, my approach here was to have 'opposite' feels to either side of the map. Top left being hotish & bottom right being coldish. However, this tileset part still doesn't look right.
As for the flat terrain, I personally try to stay clear of ramps unless they are far into the corners at I am not a big fan of how they can effect in game battles but I could of added more mounds & such I agree. I did raise/lower the terrain of the map throughout but it might not be so obvious.

I like your map 'Frozen Deeps'. It is very ambitious & has a good feel about it. It may come across as a little too large though & I am not a fan of so many gold mines but this does not mean the map is any worse off for it as I feel that every map can have it's own unique flavour. Therefore keeping the gamestyle fresh for players.

Level 13
Map Looks gr8, but you can improve the terrain, It is flat needs a lot of enviroments, but it is a good map and I am a fan of Melee and Alterd Melee maps.
-The Terrain needs a lot of work but it can be abroved.