1. Fill your cup and take your pick among the maps best suited for this year's Hive Cup. The 6th Melee Mapping Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Do you hear boss music? It's the 17th Mini Mapping Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #14 - Reforge, Don't Refund [Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Wazzz, Feb 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Contestants are to recreate one of the default Warcraft 3 races, be it Human / Orc / Undead / Night Elf / Naga. Your submission must fit your chosen theme and share similar concepts with the original race.

In this contest, creativity will be rewarded higher than in previous contests. There are no real inherent limitations on what you can do - you could reimagine Orcs as a society of Wizards, the Undead as something thematically similar with drastically different gameplay, or the Humans as Bandits - you are only limited by your imagination, so get creative!
    • Entries are encouraged to be made in Reforged, but will not be penalized for being made in Classic.
    • Sub-races within a faction are allowed, like High Elves and Dwarves to Humans, Trolls and Tauren to Orcs. Mixing and matching should fit in thematically.
    • You are not required to follow Warcraft's actual lore or ideas.
    • Your faction must contain at least 8 non-hero units.
    • Your faction must contain at least 1 hero unit.
    • Your faction must contain at least 8 buildings (if your faction has more than 1 defense tower, they will all count as 1).
    • Submissions must specify whether they are intended for HD or SD.

[​IMG]
    • Submissions must follow the Map Submission Rules.
    • Submissions may not begin development before the contest start date.
    • Finding voice actors, or testers to test multiplayer mode isn't considered as teamwork, and is allowed.
    • You must download either of the provided template maps, make the edits, and resubmit it as entry.
    • Any map's features except its terrain may be edited. Editing the map's Marketplaces, Item Shops, and Taverns is allowed, too.
    • Post two (2) images/videos of your workflow Works In Progress (WIPs) to the Contest thread before the deadline, in order to prove your work.
    • The map must be playable in battle net. (current max map size is 256 MB, for example)
    • Using imports is allowed as long as it follows Resource Submission Rules (Models, skins, icons, spells).
    • The submission must be unprotected so that it's openable via the normal WorldEditor.
    [​IMG]

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

[​IMG]
    • 1st place: 75 reputation points
    • 2nd place: 50 reputation points
    • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
    • Entry: 5 reputation points
    • Judge: 15 reputation points per entry
    The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​

[​IMG]
    • Kam
    • [Open Position]

[​IMG]

Theme How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics, gameplay & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking thematic elements will result in a poor score. /10
    Gameplay How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points. /10
    Balance Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against others of it's class. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will result in a good score. /5
    Creativity How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; extensive re-use of existing elements in vanilla factions & poor originality will result in a poor score. /15
    /40

Results calculation

• Judgement: 70%
    • Poll: 30%
    FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

[​IMG]

The contest shall begin on 25th of February 2020 and conclude on 7th of May 2020 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: Mythic

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2020
  2. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Mythic @Spellbound

[​IMG]

Contestant Progress Entries
    Riki Martin 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Nightscale Tribe
    WolfFarkas 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Mor'shan Council
    xYours Trulyx 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Seraphic Union
    Daffa & Directive255 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 The Last Revolt
    MyPad 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Death and Taxes
    AMarkov 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Army of Azjol-Nerub
    Xelos & Asssssvi 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Kul Tiras
    Leods 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Name
    Mr. Henci 1 | 2 Name
    SgtNutz 1 | 2 Three-Skulls Troll Tribe
    Moonman 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Emerald Nightmare
    Spellbound & Wazzz 1 | 2 | 3 The Secret Grove
    Pual 1 | 2 Name
    Ether 1 | 2 Pandemonium
    Retera 1 | 2 Name
    Name 1 | 2 Name

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2020
  3. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Interesting (and what about the last techtree contest?:vw_wtf:)
    Trying to think on something... A lot of little ideas are crossing my head right now, and i can't try them within a week.

4. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Cool. I might join but it heavily depends on if they publish a patch or not.

5. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    The original post contains a link to the previous contest, but then the results can be found here.

So, hopefully this should get a lot of creative results happening, very curious to see how people do :)

6. Riki

Riki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am interested in joining again and I'll try to do a Naga faction this time, but in Classic game (I hope there are not problem with this).

Although I have doubts because the description says that we can create a faction only limited by our imagination, but also that the created race must share similarities with the original one. My question is how much and in what sense should it be similar to accomplish with rules.

7. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Classic will be fine.

As for the rules, if you are designing a Naga race, you should be completely fine with bringing in new mechanics, new gameplay styles, that sort of thing - ideally it will fit in with the Warcraft 3 format, but you can pretty much go ham with the ideas there. I hope that helps to clear it up a little :)

Also, Naga is a very nice choice, especially for this map - nice bit of water around to work with :D

8. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Approved. Forge onward!

9. Riki

Riki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Perfect, I'll begin soon.

I'm having another trouble, because my 1.27b editor can't open the provided template map, so I'm wondering if it's a Reforged template. If so, can I use the original map of my version?

10. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, absolutely. I guess it might be a compatibility issue, but I think you should have the same map available in previous version, so that works.

11. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It's a different one in the older patch. This one has _lv suffix that does not exist in previous patches.

Attached Files:

12. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Umm... are you sure?

13. GhostOfPast

GhostOfPast

Resources:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I'm in boiz !

14. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    He's judged previous contests before, has he not? He said he could do it this time.

15. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    I just needed clarification. He said absolutely nothing last contest, so it makes me wonder if he's actually free enough to judge again.

16. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Apparently he did alert Spellbound a while ago that he wouldn't have enough time with the upcoming release of Reforged, but has also stated that he will likely have more free time in approximately 1.5 to 2 months. So we set the deadline to be about 2 months from now, so he should be alright by then.

17. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    but not reforge.

Such a freaking advertising name for a contest.

18. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    mmm well, yeah or, meh, whatever

@Mythic

-may I ask you confirmation about this, since you are the appointed staff,
    if we (those using classic old editor) are allowed to use an older version of the map presented in the contest frontpage due to compatibility.? even if the LV version is different from the old one?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  19. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @WolfFarkas You may use the old pre-LV map. I've added it to the main post.

20. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    thanks a lot for the fast response and for adding the old version in the frontpage

I am doing Reforged Horde: Trolls and Orcs (no taurens)
    Thrall horde faction after defeating Mannoroth.
    My Horde faction will be more: holy, nature, spiritual, arcane, astral,::::: against evil, dark, fel, undead, corruption.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.