- Feb 5, 2009
Contestants are to recreate one of the default Warcraft 3 races, be it Human / Orc / Undead / Night Elf / Naga. Your submission must fit your chosen theme and share similar concepts with the original race.
In this contest, creativity will be rewarded higher than in previous contests. There are no real inherent limitations on what you can do - you could reimagine Orcs as a society of Wizards, the Undead as something thematically similar with drastically different gameplay, or the Humans as Bandits - you are only limited by your imagination, so get creative!
- Entries are encouraged to be made in Reforged, but will not be penalized for being made in Classic.
- Sub-races within a faction are allowed, like High Elves and Dwarves to Humans, Trolls and Tauren to Orcs. Mixing and matching should fit in thematically.
- You are not required to follow Warcraft's actual lore or ideas.
- Your faction must contain at least 8 non-hero units.
- Your faction must contain at least 1 hero unit.
- Your faction must contain at least 8 buildings (if your faction has more than 1 defense tower, they will all count as 1).
- Submissions must specify whether they are intended for HD or SD.
- Submissions must follow the Map Submission Rules.
- Submissions may not begin development before the contest start date.
- Finding voice actors, or testers to test multiplayer mode isn't considered as teamwork, and is allowed.
- You must download either of the provided template maps, make the edits, and resubmit it as entry.
- Any map's features except its terrain may be edited. Editing the map's Marketplaces, Item Shops, and Taverns is allowed, too.
- Post two (2) images/videos of your workflow Works In Progress (WIPs) to the Contest thread before the deadline, in order to prove your work.
- The map must be playable in battle net. (current max map size is 256 MB, for example)
- Using imports is allowed as long as it follows Resource Submission Rules (Models, skins, icons, spells).
- The submission must be unprotected so that it's openable via the normal WorldEditor.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.
- 1st place: 75 reputation points
- 2nd place: 50 reputation points
- 3rd place: 25 reputation points
- Entry: 5 reputation points
- Judge: 15 reputation points per entry
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.
- [Open Position]
|How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics, gameplay & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking thematic elements will result in a poor score.||/10|
|How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points.||/10|
|Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against others of it's class. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will result in a good score.||/5|
|How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; extensive re-use of existing elements in vanilla factions & poor originality will result in a poor score.||/15|
- Judgement: 70%
- Poll: 30%
The contest shall begin on 25th of February 2020 and conclude on 7th of May 2020 GMT (day is included).
Assigned Staff: Mythic
Previous Contest | Poll | Results
Last edited by a moderator: