• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #13 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
thread_hive_logo-png.323627

ct_techtree-png.311501
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
3-png.311476

thread_results-png.311519

Techtree_13_Image.png

Techtree_13_Banner.png

Based on Magic: the Gathering's coloured mana system, design a faction that represents the philosophies associated with a single colour.

White
Blue
Black
Red
Green

White3.png
Blue2.png
Black5.png
Red.png
Green3.png

White exemplifies the ideals of order and consistency. White's ultimate goal is peace, ideally through structure and law. White can be restrictive and authoritarian.
Blue seeks perfection through knowledge and progress but can also be the sphere of deception and manipulation. Blue can be unethical or lack morality its its efficiency.
Black embodies the essences of selfishness and opportunism. Black desires power over all else as it allows it to get what it wants. Black is merciless and shameless.
Red desires freedom above all else. Red is pure passion, chaotic and impulsive. Laws are anathema to Red as they get in the way. Red has the capacity for complete anarchy.
Green personifies growth, instinct and harmony with nature. Green is honest and interdependent and dislikes artificial change. Green can lead to rigid and unchanging traditions.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 75 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 50 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 15 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_entries-png.311509

other_contest_judging-png.311506

I thank you all participants for their entries. I hereby submit my judgement.

A couple general remarks

-I sort of introduce two 'tacit' criteria: completion and bugs. Contest rules gave a minimum number of Heroes, units or buildings; but it's obvious that making four heroes should be rewarded compared to making 1 hero. Bugs are self-explanatory, no bugs is better than some bugs, and some bugs is better than many bugs. I will thus make reference to completion in Creativity and bugs encountered in Gameplay.

-It is impossible, even in theory to say all one wants to say. Accordingly, my published judging does not contain all of thoughts, or even all of my written notes. As reifining raw notes into publishable text is extremely arduous, each contestant will receive my rough notes though private messages.

-You can take my word that I've not done the math for polls, so I don't know who'll win. I judged based on my preference alone.

Theme: 9/10
Unique and pleasant visuals (both units and icons), slave sacrifices, cruel fighters.
I only have doubts about the Evoker-Elemental pair. It's not exactly a magical races. Furthermore, why is there 1 Elemental/Evoker? An ability that says that Evoker has an active Elemental is welcome - but not enough. What is needed (quite badly, e.g. once Elementals start being killed or infused) is some indication of the correspondence between Elementals and Evokers, e.g. upon selecting one the other is tinted black.

Gameplay 7.5/10

Training units in 'armies' is reasonably creative and playable. As often is the case, creativity and playability directly contradict each other and striking the right balance is hard. This map struck decent balance, but my feeling is that is sub-optimal. Namely, training units in batches takes away one's freedom for a preferred army composition. This is further worsened by contents of the offered Armies: why do so many of them contain the 'useless' (T1) Zealot?
Creativity vs Playability clash again at the Slave mechanic. The rituals (uses for slaves) are really creative, but hard to micro well. Furthermore, I was disappointed not to find any instructions on how to get slaves. (On the Nth playthtrough, I figured it's something like 'gain the slain unit's level in slaves with probability 50%'.)
Unit roles are fine (read: armour and attack types), with one exception: both flyers have Light-Piercing. Amazon should have had Magic attack, lest their roles overlap pretty much completely.
Lastly, bugs. Try destroying the initial gold mine - it will disappear. Custom Haunted gold mines are tricky (see yours truly DOC race for a working solution). Then, Elemental Souls can't be summoned at 1 food surplus (apparently checks if food is enough after summoning). A couple of hotkey issues were encountered (these are PMed).

Balance 3.5/5
War Academy causes power to scale poorly over time. Early on, I'm too vulnerable to rushing (fighting worker's don't help much and are too weak). Late game, my ~5x War Academies can create vast armies very quickly.
None of the units or spells seemed overpowered or under-powered to me.

Creativity 9/10
Three heroes and not four gnaws at the tacit 'Completion' criterion. As I wrote in Gameplay, slaves and armies are cool and creative features. So are the dual workers (I'd be flattered to learn that these were an homage to yours truly DEL race, but I'm not so arrogant as to count on that). Spells/abilities/research are also unique, fitting and bug-free (I especially liked Evil Maze and Toxic Arrows)

Theme: 8/10
The race is simple, but not primitive. Most mechanics and visuals are solid and straightforward. I liked the hiring mercenaries feature. Custom icons (e.g. Bandits Shadowmeld) are nice and fitting.
Aesthetics. Mostly good, with a couple of exceptions. The immensely huge red plague cloud attached to Stormvermin is a crime against eyesight (you can see nothing but those on the battlefield). Wizards and Nether Drake's projectile art choice is poor. But these two I would consider relatively minor hiccups.

Gameplay: 8.5/10
Really good style: solid, intuitive and simple (not simplistic). I particularly liked several mechanics, namely Refuge ability, also life insurance & higher item sell price research.
Unit roles are all good, except perhaps two 2-food unit (either spear thrower should be a 3-food 'Rifleman' or the axemen should be 'Grunt').
Bugs. Only one encountered (so good job!): Nether Wyrm's splash damage has friendly fire.

Balance: 3/5
I noticed some blatantly OP abilities and features, without any obvious fraction-wide compensating downsides. 'Haste' (t1 bloodlust). Mercs instant hiring. Nether Wyrm costing mere 3 food. Ruthless aura (15% bash!). Red plague cloud (-4 armor!). To be fair, subjectively none of these made a difference in my playtesting, so I'm wary to give less than 3.

Creativity: 8.5/10
As I mentioned above, I really liked some mechanics and research. Furthermore, I really appreciate all 4 heroes being made.

Theme: 10/10
At first I was confused as hell. But this many-layered mechanic grew on me quickly. Great job: you've realized both the very unorthodox gathering mechanic and even more unorthodox training mechanic flawlessly.
I was very impressed with custom sound-sets for units, something one doesn't see often. Visuals are good all around. A deserved 10 outta 10.

Gameplay: 9.5/10
I can repeat that I was confused at first, but once I figured out what to do the game became very enjoyable. I've encountered 0 bugs (immensely impressive given the insane mechanics). Some features such as disassemble and workers being indicated when the corresponding hut is selected are very welcome and appreciated.
Control loss executed flawlessly. Hero spells are cool. Unit roles are good and fitting.
The only 0.5 points deduced here is due to me disliking the rigidity of early game. The hut mechanic and lack of proper workers at the start makes initial few minutes quite annoying (as well as harbingering great vulnerability, to which I now turn...)

Balance: 4/5
The race's gatherers are very vulnerable, especially early game. (E.g. they at least shouldn't grant XP when killed by the enemy). Subjectively, I never felt the race to be either overpowered or underpowered. No OP abilities spotted either. Hence the only point deduced is early game vulnerability.

Creativity: 10/10
I already praised the overarching training mechanic (+gathering through huts). All four heroes are done, so no penalties for incompletion. Spells, abilities and research are all good. A full mark well earned.

This will be a shorter review. The faction is incomplete. Specifically, it violates the "Your faction must contain at least 1\8 hero\buildings." criteria, and is therefore eligible for disqualification.
I really enjoyed playing this alpha-version, without any attempted flattery I must say that it shows a lot of promise.
The unit roles are good, interesting mechanics with lumber gathering (though doesn't always work or respond to the number of gathering wisps).
I leave it to moderators to suspend the disqualification or not. Provided the map stays, the following score is assigned (use as purely informative otherwise):
Theme: 5.5 (some aesthetics are ok, other subpar)
Gameplay: 5.5 (bugs encountered; as well as some debug text)
Balance: 3 (hard to gauge without any Heroes)
Creativity: 4 (quite good, but suffering heavily due to incompletion)

, 16/35]

Theme: 3/10
The race uses only vanilla models and icons. Better visuals via imports are much needed here (e.g. Raccoons don't have work animations and thus make bad workers). Few to no overarching interesting mechanics. The race looks like a beta now, but will flourish if given more attention and work.

Gameplay: 4/10

Unit roles are not well thought-out. Attack and armor types should be based on 4 Warcraft races, not on neutral-hostiles. Shop is bugged (pseudo-mobile). Bite cooldown won't work when auto-attacking (remake with mana or with Orb of Slow).

Balance: 3/5

Felt alright, unless bite-bug is abused.

Creativity
: 6/10
I really liked the 'Improved Motivation With Nuts' humor. Tree jump mechanic is quite creative. Only two custom heroes made. As I said in 'theme', more creative mechanics would've been welcome.

Theme: 6/10
The race is okay, but suffers form overusing of vanilla models. Acolytes, workers, Sacrificial Pit... Furthermore, I've encountered several typos and weird english in tooltips. The presentation is also lacking at times, e.g. hero abilities should have line breaks when describing levels, not just "Deals 100/200/300 damage". You reuse (and misuse) some icons, as well as sometimes not giving them proper positioning.
Overall the race feels undead-ish enough, so the score here could've been much higher if some simple (if tedious) issues were dressed.

Gameplay: 6/10
While there are some original mechanics (workers dying into skeletons), the race doesn't feel new enough. Unique overarching mechanics and hero abilities would've been most welcome. Some bugs encountered, such as a worker being stuck inside goldmine's collision on initiation.

Balance: 2/5
Necromancer star(lightning)-fall kills virtually everything at level 1, and absolutely everything at level 2. 1000% dmg increase for Geist's ultimate is overpowered. Workers too vulnerable to early rushing. Sacrificial Pit turning units into weak skeletons and dying itself is under-powered for sure.

Creativity: 6.5/10

I already mentioned that I like some mechanics but these sort of are few and far between. More polishing would've allowed the map to blossom, as the potential is clearly there. A fourth hero would've been welcome.

Theme: 10/10
Just wow! Phenomenal aesthetics. Really beautiful building wrapping in really beautiful units through a really beautiful UI. Outstanding, sir. I'd consider bending the rules to give it an 11/10, were it not for a few vanilla icons (e.g. Blacksmith).
I really like many mechanics, such as Huge Sorc line-lightning attacks, mana-dependent abilities, towers being mounted on the blue turtle.

Gameplay: 7/10
Gameplay itself is totally fine (except light armor being weird choice for a basic ranged unit). All three point deduced here are from bugs alone.
Firstly, gold mines. The only one that works is the initial one, and that only if you don't destroy it.
Loading saved games doesn't work.
Witness can't be moved (I'm aware that this is known), so a non-existent unit gameplay-wise.
Turtle starts granting food already at the begging of wrap-in.
Wrap-in charges are nowhere explained (I sorta figured that this is the limit per time slash total limit).
Some other more minor bugs are PMed.

Balance: 1/5
Everything is overpowered as hell. T1 3-food units are insane fighters. Three sentinels and a lvl-1 hero absolutely annihilate orange camps; 8 Arbalests and a hero destroy a ~50lim opponent army. Shard armour totally op - would've remained so even if it cost 125, not 50 mana.
Most important of all, wrap-in mechanic allows construction of huge armies in a blink of an eye; this fraction-wide advantage is not offset by anything (aside gold expansions not working, lol).

Creativity: 8/10
I already praised the wrap-in mechanic. Unit abilities are cool as well. So all is fantastic. Both points here I deduce for incompletion. Two heroes with 7 spells between them is lamentable. Witness is de-facto a non-unit.

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

Riki Martin, Sons of Tyskhadi [Black]
(30*3/38)+(70*29/100) = 22.6684210526
0 days overdue (no penalty)
Final score: 22.6684210526

Wazzz, The Bandit Outlaws [Black]
(30*8/38)+(70*28/100) = 25.9157894737
Final score: 25.9157894737

xYours Trulyx, The Xetkin Clan [Red]
(30*7/38)+(70*33.5/100) = 28.9763157895
Final score: 28.9763157895

MyPad, The Orderions [White]
(30*4/38)+(70*18/100) = 15.7578947368
2 days overdue (3% penalty)
Final score: 15.2851578947

islesofurth, The Forces of Gaia [Green]
(30*3/38)+(70*16/100) = 13.5684210526
Final score: 13.161368421

Leods, Cult of the Damned [Black]
(30*3/38)+(70*20.5/100) = 16.7184210526
Final score: 16.7184210526

Spellbound & Mythic
(30*10/38)+(70*26/100) = 26.0947368421
Final score: 25.3118947368

First.png
Second.png
Third.png

Congratulations to all the winners and a big thanks to all those who participated in the contest.

Contest | Poll

Last edited:
Level 35
It's good to finally see some results, but I am really questioning of a lot of the points made about my entry?

Like, for instance, I look at the comments regarding Gameplay, and nothing there really reflects why I lost 1.5 points there. There seems to be some opinion that having two 2-food units available at tier 1 isn't good or something, and friendly fire from splash being a supposed "bug" when it was based off of the Demolisher's Burning Oil ability where the whole idea is that it does include friendly fire?

Then I sort of look at the balance aspect, and... Haste is viewed as some sort of tier 1 Bloodlust, which it really isn't - while the spell is based off of Bloodlust, its properties are actually designed to be a mirror of Slow, which is a tier 1 spell. Instant hiring was also an aspect that was sort of seen as "imbalanced" for no discernible reason, as there is a significant delay before those units are available, and they cost substantially more than they would if they were able to be trained regularly.

I even look at Creativity and there's nothing reflecting why 1.5 points was lost there.

Take a comparison of that with some of the points raised in the Xetkin Clan, and facets like the custom soundset are mentioned in the Theme - but nothing of the backing soundtrack or custom AI for my entry was mentioned there. It's hard not to see a degree of bias in that respect? Not to mention, the Theme areas never really seem to refer back to the actual theme of the contest, which just seems outright strange to me.

Congratulations, everyone!
Congratz to all who participated!
@xYours Trulyx well done, you've truly come a long way.

Thanks, and to you as well!
Aah, yes. 4 years, and I've finally gained my first golden Techtree medal. That's a keeper.

It's good to finally see some results, but I am really questioning of a lot of the points made about my entry?

Like, for instance, I look at the comments regarding Gameplay, and nothing there really reflects why I lost 1.5 points there. There seems to be some opinion that having two 2-food units available at tier 1 isn't good or something, and friendly fire from splash being a supposed "bug" when it was based off of the Demolisher's Burning Oil ability where the whole idea is that it does include friendly fire?

Then I sort of look at the balance aspect, and... Haste is viewed as some sort of tier 1 Bloodlust, which it really isn't - while the spell is based off of Bloodlust, its properties are actually designed to be a mirror of Slow, which is a tier 1 spell. Instant hiring was also an aspect that was sort of seen as "imbalanced" for no discernible reason, as there is a significant delay before those units are available, and they cost substantially more than they would if they were able to be trained regularly.

I even look at Creativity and there's nothing reflecting why 1.5 points was lost there.

Take a comparison of that with some of the points raised in the Xetkin Clan, and facets like the custom soundset are mentioned in the Theme - but nothing of the backing soundtrack or custom AI for my entry was mentioned there. It's hard not to see a degree of bias in that respect? Not to mention, the Theme areas never really seem to refer back to the actual theme of the contest, which just seems outright strange to me.

I'm not the one to argue about your first two points, but I think the reason why a few points on your Creativity was reduced here is because music is simple to replace, whereas multiple custom soundsets are a burden to actually implement to a map. I had to undergo a tedious process for each of the sound files to make them actually work and fit in Warcraft 3.

The Theme scoring does stray from the contest's theme, though.

Level 35
It really does, and I think I am vaguely familiar with the unit sound designs being difficult to implement, but it should also be noted that I am in no way a proficient coder - when it came to implementing the background music, I had to learn enough rudimentary vJass commands, an area that I had previously avoided completely, to not only implement the music, but also incorporate it in such a way that it only played the music for players using the Bandit faction themselves. There was a surprising amount of depth to that, which pushed my skills further - there were also minor optimizations here and there that I had to learn about, like how when you create a Special Effect, you need to Destroy the special effect immediately after - but this also results in special effects that don't have a Death Animation not playing at all. For things like the Bounty Hunter Aura, where I wanted the Gold Bounty effect to play on its use, this meant I had to edit the Animation names of the model itself. It was a good opportunity to push myself to learn more about the Editor, definitely.

But yeah, at no point in any of the theme scoring does it ever say... well, anything about the Theme of the contest at all. Did my entry do well at representing the Black Philosophy? Did it do poorly? If it did well, then what did it do well, and if it did poorly, then what needed to shift?

If the Theme section is going to simply laud entries based on things that are unrelated to the contest, then surely that would mean my background music would be worth a mention, as would the custom AI - both things entirely unrelated to the entry, but put in to create an atmosphere of the faction standing out on its own, but also allowing you to immerse yourself in playing against it.

Oh... also, custom AI can be a biiiiitch :p

EDIT: Here is a recap of what the creativity parameter is for:

Creativity How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; extensive re-use of existing elements in vanilla factions & poor originality will result in a poor score.

Not only was the soundsets mentioned in the Theme area and not the Creativity area, but it has nothing to do with the Creativity. As appeared to be mentioned almost in passing, I allegedly demonstrated phenomenal innovation and creativity with existing game elements presented in a new and original way, and yet... 1.5 points is lost for no provided reason at all.

Now, since you did mention the Creativity field, I feel a direct comparison is worth mentioning:

Creativity: 8.5/10
As I mentioned above, I really liked some mechanics and research. Furthermore, I really appreciate all 4 heroes being made

That one was for my entry. Now, to compare to your entry:

Creativity: 10/10
I already praised the overarching training mechanic (+gathering through huts). All four heroes are done, so no penalties for incompletion. Spells, abilities and research are all good. A full mark well earned.

So... mechanics were enjoyed, "no penalties for incompletion" due to all four heroes being done (which should never have been a thing, considering the minimum requirement was 1 hero? So why should someone lose points for meeting those requirements?), yet the point values are different. It seems to put favor in a mechanic that starts you off on the backfoot compared to how other races start, due to beginning with five workers that cannot actually gather resources, and therefore have to allocate their first five free food to getting to the same point that every other faction starts at from the beginning, severely disrupting the flow of the early game.

From what I can gather, both quotes say exactly the same thing, yet the points in no way reflect this. It's actually pretty uncanny. Not to mention, at no point does it mention the use of clever concepts - instead, it seems to focus on "did this person make four heroes instead of the minimum requirements?", which just seems to miss the mark completely.

Last edited:
Level 29
  • Your faction must contain at least 8 non-hero units.
  • Your faction must contain at least 1 hero unit.
  • Your faction must contain at least 8 buildings (if your faction has more than 1 defense tower, they will all count as 1).

Contest rules gave a minimum number of Heroes, units or buildings; but it's obvious that making four heroes should be rewarded compared to making 1 hero.

3 IMO ideas:

1) Is not obvious, and it should be wrote in the rules from the begining, that was a post-poll rule creation.
There is a similar rule in the MiniRPG contest and everybody is more or less doing 1 awsome hero (even with voice acting) instead of 4 not that awsome.

so 1 hero 5 heroes, 8, 12 heroes should all have same weigth in theory if min is 1.

2) Quantity should not be better than quality. 2 quality heroes should beat 4 with less quality.

3) IMO if 4 heroes will reward more points than making 1, but is not written, rules should say minimum: 4 heroes from the begining, so everybody will do 4 heroes and not waste time in items or custom UI or 6 custom towers, so it wont happen this, some did 4 another did 2, and the one that did 2 gets low score because was confident that minimum was 1.

on good point, is just affect creativity points so IMO, is not a big issue, a minor thing to consider for future contest.
for future contests: make the 4 heroes mandatory in rules so everybody can mindfully compite on equal conditions.

Last edited:
Level 35
It's not really better to just let it pass when it seems miss the mark completely on what the contest was about - for those of us who actually participated, there was definitely a level of time investment in following a contest's themes and rules. To have a judging result that ignores those themes and rules completely defeats the purpose of the contest at all, and really removes any motivation to participate in future contests.

Level 4
what do you mean? call for a re-judging? thats quite a lot of bureaucracy, I dont recommend it... is better to just let it pass,

I would agree, the best thing to do it learn from the mistakes made and move forward because as Wolf stated, it will have a bureaucratic impact and make people less likely to want to participate if they see this type of thing.

Level 29
It's not really better to just let it pass when it seems miss the mark completely on what the contest was about - for those of us who actually participated, there was definitely a level of time investment in following a contest's themes and rules. To have a judging result that ignores those themes and rules completely defeats the purpose of the contest at all, and really removes any motivation to participate in future contests.

with the botton of my heart, I understand your point, I was in that situation too.

please read this , complete if posible:

and then follow my recomendation, let it pass,

Level 35
It already makes it less likely for people to participate as it is. The biggest issue is that results were released when it was already said before that they were being reworked - yet upon release, nothing was reworked. It already went against what was established by our Arena Moderator, and yet these are the results that get published and then approved.

Level 4
It already makes it less likely for people to participate as it is. The biggest issue is that results were released when it was already said before that they were being reworked - yet upon release, nothing was reworked. It already went against what was established by our Arena Moderator, and yet these are the results that get published and then approved.

That was what I was saying btw sorry for the confusion, situations as such make people think "why should I try this" if that makes sense.

Level 35
I'm not entirely sure if I see where you are coming from, but I think in a sense it does make sense - when the judging doesn't follow the rules or themes of the contest, it does raise a lot of "why should I try this?" questions, and when the results seem to have an unusual bias it really comes across as it doesn't matter what you do, the results will never favor newer contestants.

Level 4
I'm not entirely sure if I see where you are coming from, but I think in a sense it does make sense - when the judging doesn't follow the rules or themes of the contest, it does raise a lot of "why should I try this?" questions, and when the results seem to have an unusual bias it comes across as it doesn't matter what you do, the results will never favor newer contestants.
Correct, think about it if people see the police beating people what are they to think about the police? not saying there is favoritism or anything like that at play but it's very hard to make contests like this fair enough.

Level 29
this thread was approved by the arena mod already.
is quite 99% imposible to revert that.

I mean is a very very hard crusade to make an appeal and try to revert a result ( seriously I tried).

and a little of bias, favoritism, or poor judging can be tolerated.

unless there is a clear overwhelming injustice or a huge violation of the code of conduct of a judge,
just let it pass.

Last edited:
Level 35
Correct, think about it if people see the police beating people what are they to think about the police? not saying there is favoritism or anything like that at play but it's very hard to make contests like this fair enough.

Oh definitely, and while I also don't know if there was favoritism or not at play myself, it's hard not to see there being a lot of free passes given to some entries while others just seem to get far more harshly critiqued. As far as the results go, there was a /huge/ drastic shift in standards. It is pretty uncanny, especially when you see some personal touches being praised, and yet others don't even get so much as a mention.

It definitely did seem to be a questionable decision to approve the thread while it was still in such a questionable state.

Level 29
Oh definitely, and while I also don't know if there was favoritism or not at play myself, it's hard not to see there being a lot of free passes given to some entries while others just seem to get far more harshly critiqued. As far as the results go, there was a /huge/ drastic shift in standards. It is pretty uncanny, especially when you see some personal touches being praised, and yet others don't even get so much as a mention.

It definitely did seem to be a questionable decision to approve the thread while it was still in such a questionable state.

that happened a lot in other contests, nothing new, not gonna give details...

Last edited:
Level 35
Actually wondered what was going on in the thread you linked, I saw the scores but couldn't find the judging results.

Then I found out that was what was going on, there was just scores given with no explanation at all. Like, I get that there's a lot of entries and all that but... if you nominate yourself as a judge, you should probably at least pretend to try and write something about the entries.

Level 29
Actually wondered what was going on in the thread you linked, I saw the scores but couldn't find the judging results.

Then I found out that was what was going on, there was just scores given with no explanation at all. Like, I get that there's a lot of entries and all that but... if you nominate yourself as a judge, you should probably at least pretend to try and write something about the entries.

I just wanted to point that even if you have a huge amount of evidence, is very hard to revert a result.

so with this contest, I wouldnt try revert what happened.
bias, favoritism can be tolerated.

Level 35
What I find very uncanny about the situation as a whole is that, previously, the arena moderator had established that the judging results were being reworked - and then there was a significant delay after that, for the results to be posted with nothing altered.
Personally, I don't mind the delay at all, but for there to be a delay with no changes delivered? It's a pretty significant drop in standard. If there was a longer delay for the changes to actually be delivered, that would have been more than fine.

Level 29
What I find very uncanny about the situation as a whole is that, previously, the arena moderator had established that the judging results were being reworked - and then there was a significant delay after that, for the results to be posted with nothing altered.
Personally, I don't mind the delay at all, but for there to be a delay with no changes delivered? It's a pretty significant drop in standard. If there was a longer delay for the changes to actually be delivered, that would have been more than fine.

What the arena mod decides is law.

probably decided to finish this contest once and for all.

and in the contest I mentioned it was decided that the results were approved with a numeric score and no text.

so again:

What the arena mod decides is law.

I sugest you to forget all this, play other games like age of mythology,leave wc3 for a while, I unistalled it, that helps.

Last edited:
Level 35
It's a little questionable which way it's going to go in this instance, but I do know that in past techtree contests the results have been modified in light of poor or substandard judging. As for what the arena mod decides, it was previously decided otherwise, so it seems the decision has already been altered before. Unfortunately, with the thread being approved while it was still in question, it seems like some very poor decision making.

with the botton of my heart, I understand your point, I was in that situation too.
I mean is a very very hard crusade to make an appeal and try to revert a result ( seriously I tried).
You tried to add yourself as a judge, while this is about challenging a verdict.

Take a look at Model Contest 31. All it took was a conversation with the judge, and the scores were revised, with the host adjusting placement on the same day.

Level 29
You tried to add yourself as a judge, while this is about challenging a verdict.

Take a look at Model Contest 31. All it took was a conversation with the judge, and the scores were revised, with the host adjusting placement on the same day.

independent of what I wanted to do, I did while the thread wasnt approved yet by the arena mod, that was my point.

the example you offer, model contest 31, clearly the modification was before arena mod approval,
good to see a judge that wanted to fix things, not always happens

Which, by the by, is exactly how it happened before in a previous Techtree Contest - the judge was spoken to, and in that instance they revoked their results and another judge was appointed.

so thats what you wish, a rejudging process?
(I am just asking whats your idea)

Last edited:
Level 35
Ideally we would have a level of interactivity with the Judge to get their take on it, and if that doesn't go well, then we would seek another judge.

In accordance with the judging criteria, it is a part of that responsibility to be interactive with the users concerning the results, and while there might be minor issues that, while spoken with contestants about, can generally be dealt with easily, there can also be major ones like the ones illustrated here.

As for the Appointed Moderator, it is well within their criteria that they are to enforce a measure of quality control when it comes to the judging, as well as ensuring that contestants are helped. Now, @Heinvers has often been busy with RL stuff, totally understandable, kind of stuff that can't be avoided. There is, however, another Arena Moderator, @Naze, who might be able to help. Failing that, it may be evidence that another set of hands is required in the Arena Moderation team.

I don't know if Heinvers did get in contact with @Nightmare2077 like he said he would some time ago, but I am thinking given the benefit of the doubt, we should absolutely give our appointed substitute judge another fair shot - after all, this is a contest he is a /substitute/ judge in, and as such he was not there from the beginning and sort of has to make judgments based off the end results alone. It's not an easy set of shoes to fill, and hopefully if we have that level of interactivity, we can reach a reasonable solution together. If not, we will find another way. There is always a solution, after all :)

Level 35
Hey, I'm satisfied with a new judge. I'd rather have that than wait for Kam to finish doing whatever he was 3 months ago. Come to think of it, he has not responded at ALL in this thread.

Hell, he didn't even respond to my message on his wall forever ago asking how the judging was going. I hear that he's apparently pretty busy but yeah... it's just not looking great from his end.

Level 17
Hi again,

I'm an open guy and I take criticism well. The thing I can't promise is commitment of a lot of my time, as such forum-dramas, even smallscale, are an enormous timesink. I'm quite busy these days (unlike January - therefore I took the contest), so I'll have be brief. This is a shame, because a lot of nuances are lost that way. But this beats my second best option - staying silent, as I of course feel responsibility towards our wonderful community.

I'll not go into the situation itself yet. For now I have two initial comments:

WolfFarkas, you cite Hivecup as an example of a contest gone awry. (I'm by pure coincidence involved with both, heh.) It was very far from perfect, I never denied that. But that's a bad case-study, as far as map contests are concerned, since Hive Cup was an experimental event that involved many people from the whole of Warcraft 3 community. Hiveworkshop was but a part of it, i.e. this was a meta-Hive contest. Therefore there was the difficulty with fixing even relativity big mistakes (coz fixing a big mistake here would have led to an even bigger mistake there). This techtree contest is intra-hive affair only, thus the two should not be easily compared.

Wazzz, I have a specific point I wish to clarify: as far as I'm concerned, there was no underlying reason to the delay between the time I first posted the results (on Jan-11) and the day they were announced/approved (Feb-11/Feb-19). I never heard any talks of my judging being in need of amendments. Did the moderators tell this to you privately? Or am I misunderstanding the whole situation? (As I said, I'm no longer able to commit loads of my time to Hive, so I may have misinterpreted something, both back in January and especially now).

Last edited:
Level 35
Ah, the moderators did tell this to me in private - if this was not relayed to you, that definitely raises a lot of red flags, but also confirms working suspicions. From what we could gather, we thought it strange that none of the promised "rework" ever happened, especially since this was mentioned to me and there seemed to be that delay.

It was where you posted the results, I believe, and Heinvers then deleted it to check it. But then the check and the whole "rework" never happened, so I don't know what he was doing in that time?

As for availability of time, totally understand - it's definitely unfortunate that this wasn't relayed to you sooner like I and some other contestants believed it had been, but it is definitely good to have it cleared up a little.

Level 29
Hi again,

I'm an open guy and I take criticism well. The thing I can't promise is commitment of a lot of my time, as such forum-dramas, even smallscale, are an enormous timesink. I'm quite busy these days (unlike January - therefore I took the contest), so I'll have be brief. This is a shame, because a lot of nuances are lost that way. But this beats my second best option - staying silent, as I of course feel responsibility towards our wonderful community.

I'll not go into the situation itself yet. For now I have two initial comments:

WolfFarkas, you cite Hivecup as an example of a contest gone awry. (I'm by pure coincidence involved with both, heh.) It was very far from perfect, I never denied that. But that's a bad case-study, as far as map contests are concerned, since Hive Cup was an experimental event that involved many people from the whole of Warcraft 3 community. Hiveworkshop was but a part of it, i.e. this was a meta-Hive contest. Therefore there was the difficulty with fixing even relativity big mistakes (coz fixing a big mistake here would have led to an even bigger mistake there). This techtree contest is intra-hive affair only, thus the two should not be easily compared.

Wazzz, I have a specific point I wish to clarify: as far as I'm concerned, there was no underlying reason to the delay between the time I first posted the results (on Jan-11) and the day they were announced/approved (Feb-11/Feb-19). I never heard any talks of my judging being in need of amendments. Did the moderators tell this to you privately? Or am I misunderstanding the whole situation? (As I said, I'm no longer able to commit loads of my time to Hive, so I may have misinterpreted something, both back in January and especially now).

-not going to question your opinions about the Hive.cup. I used that case because is the one I have more knoledge, if it was a bad example, sorry for using it,

Last edited:
Level 35
Ah, that is good news. It is a bit of an ask to have someone step in to do the judging after the previous judge was unable to do it, after all, as it is judging the end result of the contest without having been aware of the goings ons of it throughout the contest itself. Hopefully we can get to some results that do make a bit more sense in the context of the contest, and if time is still an issue, hopefully we can find somebody who does have some more time available :)

Level 35
Thankfully I was able to get into contact with @Nightmare2077 and we had a voice chat regarding the concerns pertaining to the judging results. As it stands, he was unfortunately not made aware of the issues within January where time was more available to him, and with it being quite a bit later than when the initial judging results were handled it does complicate things.

In speaking to him, I was able to get insight towards his perspective that explains how he came to some otherwise confusing judgments. A lot of the results are a mix of looking through various bugs and issues with entries, and a little less at the interest or the allure of the content itself. With the goal of objectivity over subjectivity in mind, this led to cleaner entries with less errors and no readily apparent issues being found scoring higher, in some respects regardless of the core design. A little different to what we are used to in terms of judging results, but as it was standing, there was going to be no judging results at all.

I think there are quite a few people who would have seen the results go a little differently, but at this point to get a re-judging happening this would probably involve getting @Nightmare2077 to start all over again from scratch, to play the maps again after sorting out version issues regarding Warcraft 3 due to issues concerning Reforged, as this is over a month after the judging was handled and it's only come to light now that there were some changes that needed to be made. Another alternative being to introduce a second judge would likely only further muddy results, and possibly lead to similar issues - if a second judge can be found at all.

With that in mind, it seems the most practical solution to accept the results as they are, as while they do come from a different perspective to what we would expect within a Techtree Contest, they do have a logic to them and with his perspective being expressed, they do make quite a bit more sense how they were put together. As such, I would like to thank @Nightmare2077 for acting as our substitute judge, and think we are about ready to wrap this contest up and look forward to the next one soon. Best of luck, and congratulations to the winners :)

Level 17
Thanks a lot Wazzz for explaining the situation!
I thank all the participants for their entries, it's been a lot of fun judging them. As I said before, if you want further comments or clarifications - I'll gladly help.

Congratulations to the winners, and best of luck to all of you in future contests!
So despite our hard deforged times, Long live Warcraft:goblin_yeah::goblin_yeah::goblin_yeah:

Level 29
Thankfully I was able to get into contact with @Nightmare2077 and we had a voice chat regarding the concerns pertaining to the judging results. As it stands, he was unfortunately not made aware of the issues within January where time was more available to him, and with it being quite a bit later than when the initial judging results were handled it does complicate things.

In speaking to him, I was able to get insight towards his perspective that explains how he came to some otherwise confusing judgments. A lot of the results are a mix of looking through various bugs and issues with entries, and a little less at the interest or the allure of the content itself. With the goal of objectivity over subjectivity in mind, this led to cleaner entries with less errors and no readily apparent issues being found scoring higher, in some respects regardless of the core design. A little different to what we are used to in terms of judging results, but as it was standing, there was going to be no judging results at all.

I think there are quite a few people who would have seen the results go a little differently, but at this point to get a re-judging happening this would probably involve getting @Nightmare2077 to start all over again from scratch, to play the maps again after sorting out version issues regarding Warcraft 3 due to issues concerning Reforged, as this is over a month after the judging was handled and it's only come to light now that there were some changes that needed to be made. Another alternative being to introduce a second judge would likely only further muddy results, and possibly lead to similar issues - if a second judge can be found at all.

With that in mind, it seems the most practical solution to accept the results as they are, as while they do come from a different perspective to what we would expect within a Techtree Contest, they do have a logic to them and with his perspective being expressed, they do make quite a bit more sense how they were put together. As such, I would like to thank @Nightmare2077 for acting as our substitute judge, and think we are about ready to wrap this contest up and look forward to the next one soon. Best of luck, and congratulations to the winners :)

my apologies if my way of reasons was no-accurate, but more or less, I try from the begining to encourage a practical solution, let pass this (wich imo is notthing big, it tend to happen) and no re-judging.

congratz the winners.

Level 29
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.