• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #13 - Poll

Which faction(s) do you prefer?

• Riki Martin - Sons of Tyskhadi [Black]

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Wazzz - The Bandit Outlaws [Black]

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • xYours Trulyx - The Xetkin Clan [Red]

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • MyPad - The Orderions [White]

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • islesofurth - The Forces of Gaia [Green]

• Leods - Cult of the Damned [Black]

• Spellbound & Mythic - The Starfall Empire [Blue]

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
thread_hive_logo-png.323627

ct_techtree-png.311501
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
3-png.311476

thread_poll-png.311518

Techtree_13_Image.png

Techtree_13_Banner.png

Based on Magic: the Gathering's coloured mana system, design a faction that represents the philosophies associated with a single colour.

White
Blue
Black
Red
Green

White3.png
Blue2.png
Black5.png
Red.png
Green3.png

White exemplifies the ideals of order and consistency. White's ultimate goal is peace, ideally through structure and law. White can be restrictive and authoritarian.
Blue seeks perfection through knowledge and progress but can also be the sphere of deception and manipulation. Blue can be unethical or lack morality its its efficiency.
Black embodies the essences of selfishness and opportunism. Black desires power over all else as it allows it to get what it wants. Black is merciless and shameless.
Red desires freedom above all else. Red is pure passion, chaotic and impulsive. Laws are anathema to Red as they get in the way. Red has the capacity for complete anarchy.
Green personifies growth, instinct and harmony with nature. Green is honest and interdependent and dislikes artificial change. Green can lead to rigid and unchanging traditions.

• You may only choose ONE colour. No mixing and matching allowed.
  • The colour you pick does not determine the visual appearance of your faction. It is chiefly a philosophical descriptor. You can have a faction of undead healers that seek to restore order in a disease-stricken land that only they can enter because they are unaffected by disease. That is technically a White faction.
  • You are not required to follow Magic: The Gathering's actual lore or ideas.
  • Your faction must contain at least 8 non-hero units.
  • Your faction must contain at least 1 hero unit.
  • Your faction must contain at least 8 buildings (if your faction has more than 1 defense tower, they will all count as 1).

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
    A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 75 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 50 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 15 reputation points
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

other_entries-png.311509

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Theme
How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics, gameplay & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking thematic elements will result in a poor score.10

Gameplay
How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points.10

Balance
Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against others of it's class. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will result in a good score.5

Creativity
How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; extensive re-use of existing elements in vanilla factions & poor originality will result in a poor score.10

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 6th of October 2019 and conclude on 19th of October 2019 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

Contest | Results

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
i'm only able to open leods map.
Do the others have some additional requirements?
the maps are neither showing in reforged or opening in my version of the editor (1.30.1)

Level 4
So i can open the dark elves one (i think that's Riki's)
But none of the custom triggers work so it is just a normal game.

This is how the triggers look to me, not sure if this is normal or not.

darkelves_script_by_islesofurth_ddhucbh-fullview.jpg

All the other maps that i can't open give me this error

ddhuc8s-13a39274-9f36-461a-80a6-ba526900ae95.jpg

Level 35
It's actually pretty amazing the level of detail that you can get into with these sorts of entries. Like, for the Bounty Hunter Aura I did for my Bandit Lord, I used the ingame Gold Bounty values and set it up so it would calculate the bounty collected from each individual unit that you kill. The ingame Bounty effect, however, didn't want to be compliant with being created and promptly destroyed, so I had to slap in a Death Animation for it, which was actually its regular animation, so that was something new. Had to pick up a few tricks like that to get things running the way I wanted them to for my entry :p

Yeah, sorry about the delay. With Reforged in beta right now I think it's an all-hands-on-deck situation over at Blizzard, so Kam's going to be super busy for the foreseeable future and unable to do the judging. I've been low-key trying to find a replacement judge (not trying super hard, admittedly) but I've come up empty, so if anyone has any suggestions as to who may be a good judge, you recommendations are welcome.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
You guys are too kind... Honestly I'm flattered.

If I had the time I'd try, but I'm not even sure I have the most updated Wc3 yet (what versions are people even modding on nowadays?). Also I fear I may have already shown my bias in the Contest thread... Unfortunately, it's probably best to keep looking, for now. :<

You guys are too kind... Honestly I'm flattered.

If I had the time I'd try, but I'm not even sure I have the most updated Wc3 yet (what versions are people even modding on nowadays?). Also I fear I may have already shown my bias in the Contest thread... Unfortunately, it's probably best to keep looking, for now. :<

Nonsense. Would you be up for judging then? We're brainstorming with messages atm.

You being the judge would ease up the work and fasten the process of reaching the conclusion of this contest ^^

@Pyrogasm would you be interested if we're here? >.>

Level 4
I would be very comfortable judging the quality of the execution/realization of these techtrees, but not judging their balance, depth, and design. (Generally, though I may have commentary on those things.)

Are those 3 not the main point of the comp in the first place?

Level 39
Yes. I’m saying I’m unqualified for those because I don’t generally play melee or build races.

Presumably there are some custom systems/skills used in the design of these techtrees. Also how cleverly things are made in the object editor in ways to avoid triggers.

Level 17
Hi guys,
I thank Spellbound for his trust to nominate me as the (substitute) judge.
Having recently conducted/sponsored a contest, I know how hard it all can be %)

I've done a lot of work reviewing the seven contesting maps in the last few days, and so my task is nearing completion. Expect me to submit my judging within the next day or two.
Thanks a lot for your great entries,
Stay tuned

Long live Hive, Long live Warcraft:goblin_yeah::goblin_yeah:

Status
Not open for further replies.