• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #31 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.

thread_hive_logo-png.323627

ct_modeling-png.311497
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
3-png.311476
1-png.311474

thread_results-png.311519

spawner.gif

SPAWNERS AND SPAWNED
Contestants were to create two models. A spawner and a spawned unit. The combination can be a summoner and its summoned unit, a structure and the minions it spawns/trains, a master and its servant(s), or similar combination of 'creator' and 'created' unit.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points.
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points.
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points.
  • Entry: 5 reputation points.
  • Judge: 5 reputation points.
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.
other_judges-png.311510

• MiniMage
  • The_Silent

other_contest_judging-png.311506

The_Silent:

Arowanna & Stefan.K
Mesh: 7
Good meshes, the imps mesh is pretty close to the ghoul's, whereas the warlocks seems pretty original, while still adhering to the blood mage model's animation. The "scorched" hand is a great touch, and the faces look good, which is always a hard thing to get right.

Skin: 7 / 10
Great texture work. Looks good ingame. The meshes seems to be the most limiting factor when it comes to the skinning work, which is sad, but a very common wc3 issue.

Animations: 5 / 10
Animations is transferred from the Blood Mage and the Ghoul. Great match for the characters, but the warlock in particular feels a bit like a blood mage variant, rather than it's own character. The warlock's han clips into his cloak for most of the animations.

Effects: 4.5 / 5
The particle effects is amazing, and the "scorched fist" and imp summoning animations mixed with the ghoul "jump" animation looks great. The particle effects in particular is top notch.

Theme: 7 / 10
It is a warlock summoning imps, so it fits in best wow warlock fashion. It is clear which is the summoned, and which is the summoned. The color choices does not match great, red and green, but that is very nitpicky. It is a great touch that the imp's birth animation has fitting particles matching those of the warlock spell animations, linking the two. Overall great, but not amazing.

Mechanics: 3.5 / 5
Summoner summons summoned minion. Works, has all the nececary animations.

Creativity: 7 / 10
Great ideas implemented into the model, with the scorched arm and the imp that jumps into reality. Overall the warlock/imp pair is not the most original idea that exists, but the implementation brings some new cool aspects onto the table.

A.R. & PROXY
Mesh: 8 / 10
Great meshes, both has a lot of cool details. Especially like the necromancer "orb" and "shoulder guards" for their flavor, but they look great all around.

Skin: 8 / 10
Great texture work, I feel like the necromancer skin might be a little too detailed for wc3, but that is extremely nitpicky. The textures look great, and a lot better than anything in warcraft 3, while still complementing them. The model look like it could belong diablo 3, looking at skin and mesh alone.

Animations: 7 / 10
Looks like the necromancer has custom animations, while the deathguard uses the standard skeleton warrior animations. Necromancer animations look great. A bit stiff in the torso maybe, but that is hardly noticeable ingame. Good work.

Effects: 3 / 5
Effects looks pretty good. Seems like you have forgotten to remove a mesh in the dissipate animation though. The use of shockwave textures on flat meshes looks okay, but could be made to look a lot better using a combination of meshes and particle emmiters i feel.

Theme: 6 / 10
A necromancer and a skeleton is a classic thematic match. With bones, etc, fitting the esthetic of both characters. I feel like skeleton could use some particles matching the necromancer in the birth animation, or something, to link the two models together more.

Mecromancers raising skeletons is a classic. From the spell animation, it is clear that the spell is supposed to raise deathguards from surrounding corpses. Both models works well, and has all the necessary animations.

Creativity: 7 / 10
The implementation and themes not exactly new, but I will reward some points for the awesome armor, and the beefed up skeleton.

-Grendel
Mesh: 5.5 / 10
Great creative meshes, the parasitic worm in particular has a great combination of creature and victim. The plague rider seems great, but a lot of the mesh seems taken from other models.

Skin: 5.5 / 10
Neat use of ingame textures, but the Plague Riders wrapping seems quite chaotic, and particularly the rat's forehead, red saddle cloth, and the drum tops seems stretched. The parasitic worm on the other hand turned out great, and the only problem with it seems the general low quality of some of the textures available in warcraft 3.

Animations: 5.5 / 10
Animations seem to be transferred from models in the game. Mainly from the Kodo Rider and the Faceless ones in this case. I think the adaptation of the post-devour burp, into a worm puke attack is great, but otherwise the animations seems mostly unaltered. They fit the model, but does not add anything on top of that.

Effects: 2.5 / 5
There is not that many effects in this model. The fire and the glowing green 'stench' is quite neat, but not flashy. This is not too much of a problem, as I interpret the model to be a normal model, as it has no hero glow. But it does not leave me much to say, or to award points for.

Theme: 5.5 / 10
The way the plaguerider summons the worms is that it's mount pukes on enemies, and they get a "Parasite" like debuff, that eventually results in a parasitic worm is my guess when it comes to the two model and their birth/spell animations. The puked-up worms does not quite look like the parasittic worm, and I'm not sure how well I feel the two models actually fit, except that they are both wonderfully bizarre. I know that there was originally supposed to be more, so I'm not going to subtract too much because of this. Even thought this is the final submission, and that I should really not take potential work too much into account.

A plague rider infecting enemies with worms. The mechanics makes sense, although I would have liked to see the two model linked more together.

Creativity: 9 / 10
The concept is great, and I'm going to award some point with coming up with entirely, or almost entirely, original concepts for your spawner/spawned concept.

Freddyk
Mesh: 7 / 10
Meshes is adequate. Going 100% inorganic, avoids quite a lot of the complex meshes necessary for creating not-silly looking humans, etc. Still, the robot is quite good, and the uses of meshes in the factory, especially for the animations is great.

Skin: 6 / 10
The models use all ingame textures. The textures fit the models thematically, and the wrapping is quite good. There is not a lot of choices when doing futuristic models using only ingame textures, but I think the result was quite sucessful.

Animations: 7 / 10
The factory work animations looks amazing, but the rest of the factory's animations is just fine. The robot animations looks adequate.

Effects: 2.5 / 5
The particle effects is fine, but nothing amazing. The basics seems to be there, although the fire is not great.

Theme: 9.5 / 10
The robot factory work animation is bloody amazing, and binds the two models together brilliantly. I can really not empathize enough, how much does for the model. This use of custom animations both gives the models amazing flavor, but also empathizes the theme of the entire contest.

The models has all the nececary animations to look great ingame. Adding more would have taken away from the thematic purpose of the two models I feel. Does what it is supposed to do.

Creativity: 8 / 10
What makes something like a robot and a robot-factory original, is mostly the setting of warcraft 3. We have nothing quite like this, so that counts heavily in it's favor. Adds a whole new unit to futuristic factions, or a robot apocalypse as an alternative to zombie survival maps. Well executed, good job.

Mythic & ~Nightmare
Mesh: 8 / 10
Great meshes, works all around. Great mesh animations in there.

Skin: 8.5 / 10
Great, thematically fitting skins. Red and black is the new black.. or something. The use of ingame textures on the spikes of the Ember Forge has some issues, but they are hardly noticible ingame. The Ember Knight textures and wrapping is top notch.

Animations: 9 / 10
Animations is great. The Ember Forge death animations is pure awesomesauce. The Emberknight has great organic-look animations. All the nececary animations seem to be there. The Spell 2 animation on the Ember Forge looks a bit silly, but that is a pretty minor complaint. Overall great job!

Effects: 5 / 5
Amazing eye-candy effects. Not much to say. A lot was crammed in there, for every possible use of the model. Great job!

Theme: 6 / 10
I'm not quite sure whether the ember knight summons the ember forge, or visa versa. Is the forge an alter, or is it more like pocket factory. Ah well, they fit thematically, but point could probably have been made more clear.

Mechanics: 4.5 / 5
Again, the sheer amount of animations make it quite unclear, what is the purpose of the forge and the knight in relation to each other or in general. I guess the forge can really be used for whatever you want, which is beyond great. "Want a tower? Got it. Want an alter? Works for that too. Want a minion summoner? Sure dude. Want an summonable item shop? We can do that too mate."

Creativity: 8 / 10
Original concepts, great execution. A bit confusing regarding purpose. but then, it is probably because is is so multiple purpose.

Minimage:

Arowanna & Stefan.K
Mesh: 6/10
The graphic has been bumped up a notch with a custom mesh, design wise it's still very much a blood elf though. The Ghoul only has a few edits to the base mesh though.

Skin/Wrap: 9/10
The custom texture and wrap is what elevates the models to something special.

Animations: 6/10
For the Blood elf-like hero, there's a number of custom animations. Looks decent, fits with the rest seamlessly to the point that I didn't even notice them. Which is an achievement in itself. Apologies for the mistake. For the Imp however, it's model based on the ghoul/murloc models, there is one custom animation. The birth animation.

Effects: 3/5
Decent effects. pretty basic.

Theme: 8/10
Fits the theme well despite a few minor issues. Has decent particle effects.

Mechanics: 4/5
Functional animations. Has everything you need.

Creativity: 4/10
It's a very known cliche with the Wizard and his Familiar.

A.R. & PROXY
Mesh: 10/10
Refined mesh. Excellent work.

Skin/Wrap: 8/10
Great wrap and custom textures for both models.

Animations: 8/10
Custom animations for one of the models. Basic skeleton animations plus a footman death animation for the other one.

Minimal, but functional.

Theme: 6/10
Fits the theme well.

Mechanics: 3/5
There's a lot of variety in animations.

Creativity: 5/10
It's a very known cliche with the Wizard and his Familiar. Despite that, they are very well made. Changes up the Necromancer/Skeleton combo slightly.

-Grendel
Mesh: 7/10
Decent mesh on one, small edits but creative edit on the second.

Skin/Wrap: 6/10
Excellent wrap on one, decent wrap on the other.

Animations: 3/10
Surprisingly simple animations. Kodo animations with some basic modifications for one, basic modified peasant animations for the other.

Minimal, but functional.

Theme: 5/10
I'm not clear if the tamed beast vomits up the tentacled villager or if it infects innocent villagers.

Creativity: 9/10
I'm not sure if it summons or infects, technically speaking there's no specific rule that states it can't spawn units from infecting villagers. Creative idea.

Freddyk
The mesh for the production facility is decent and the robot is very basic. Functional though.

Decent wrap and textures.

Animations: 8/10
The animation for the production of the robots are excellent. The summoned unit is a tad basic, but it fits with the style. All in all, great animation.

Effects: 4/5
Not flashy, but well done.

Theme: 10/10
Fits the theme extremely well as you see the robot assembled before your very eyes.

Creativity: 7/10
A solid entry to the contest.

Mythic & ~Nightmare
Mesh: 9/10
Refined animations for both. Could probably be polished slightly though-

Lovely wrap, decent texture.

Animations: 10/10
The special effects and animations are the greatest strengths of this model.

Effects: 5/5
Beautiful effects.

Fits the theme well.

Creativity: 7/10
Well executed attacking demonic teleporter and demon knight. Creative idea.

Judgement 1
Arowanna & Stefan.K - Blood Elf Warlock & Imp
Total Score: 189.00​

Judgement 2
A.R. & PROXY - High Necromancer & Deathguard
Total Score: 201.07​

Judgement 3
-Grendel - Plague Rider & Parasite Worm
Total Score: 173.49
Judgement 4
Freddyk - Robot Factory
Total Score: 219.06
Judgement 5
Mythic & ~Nightmare - Ember Forge & Ember Knight
Total Score: 248.37​

FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/JUDGE_SCORE_TOTAL)

MdC31_winn.png

Congratulations to all the winners and a big thanks to all those who participated in the contest.

Contest | Poll

Level 50
just the basic Blood Elf hero and a Ghoul with few edits to the base meshes
Few edits to the base meshes? Both models are made FROM SCRATCH, only the hero's face is edited from the original BM.

Fuck this crap I have no nerves to explain every contest the things that a 'judge' cannot see and gives a conclusion without any facts.
I doubt you even looked at the models at all the way you have to as a judge.

Few edits to the base meshes? Both models are made FROM SCRATCH, only the hero's face is edited from the original BM.

Fuck this crap I have no nerves to explain every contest the things that a 'judge' cannot see and gives a conclusion without any facts.
I doubt you even looked at the models at all the way you have to as a judge.
Hm.. wonder if that can be remedied. i don't feel that one talented individual should be miffed to heck

Judgment said:
It's essentially just the basic Blood Elf hero and a Ghoul with few edits to the base meshes.
I fail to see how it is possible to come to that conclusion.

upload_2020-1-1_8-53-51.png

Judgment said:
There are no new animations.

@MiniMage The Warlock's offhand is different from the Blood Mage's. That alone indicates custom work. In addition, the imp falls forward in death, contrary to how the ghoul splits itself with its torso falling backward. The imp Spell is also custom.

Their entry deserves better.

Level 26
Eh. Point taken. I judged based on how it looked ingame and didn't examine them carefully enough apparently. Which I suppose is not fair.

The graphic has been bumped up a notch with a custom mesh, design wise it's still very much a blood elf though. The Ghoul only has a few edits to the base mesh though.

Skin/Wrap: 9/10
The custom texture and wrap is what elevates the models to something special.

Animations: 6/10
For the Blood elf-like hero, there's a number of custom animations. Looks decent, fits with the rest seamlessly to the point that I didn't even notice them. Which is an achievement in itself. Apologies for the mistake. For the Imp however, it's model based on the ghoul/murloc models, there is one custom animation. The birth animation.

Decent effects. pretty basic.

Fits the theme well despite a few minor issues. Has decent particle effects.

Creativity: 4/10
It's a very known cliche with the Wizard and his Familiar.

tinyscreeny-png.343634

I took one glance at that model and all I saw was the blood elf, which I suppose is unfair, my bad. Here's a quick comparison with them next to another. Bumped up the score a tad.

Now for the second model, the Imp, I was more than fair. The falling forward animation is simply utilizing the murloc death animation, which works flawlessly since murlocs used ghouls as a base when warcraft was being developed. The spell animation is literally just the murloc attack animation. So in that instance I was indeed correct, save for the birth animation, there is nothing new for that model.

Last edited:
Level 50
I fail to see how it is possible to come to that conclusion.

@MiniMage The Warlock's offhand is different from the Blood Mage's. That alone indicates custom work. In addition, the imp falls forward in death, contrary to how the ghoul splits itself with its torso falling backward. The imp Spell is also custom.

Their entry deserves better.
The thing is I try to make my models look like in game models. I guess that is a bad thing now.

Thank you for your support. I don't really care about the results, honestly. Though the "death" and "spell" animations are edited in game animations. I was talking about the meshes. It did upset me because I know that they are custom made.

Level 26
Eh, to each their own. I generally expect brand spanking new stuff for contests. I'm not trying to put down people who want to elevate what is there though. As for my mistakes, my only excuse is being sleep deprived from working on my novel. Just started a new story arc by starting to work on chapter 31.

Status
Not open for further replies.