• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #31 - Poll

Choose the best entry

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
spawner-gif.328777

ct_modeling-png.311497
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
3-png.311476
1-png.311474

thread_poll-png.311518

SPAWNERS AND SPAWNED
Contestants were to create two models. A spawner and a spawned unit. The combination can be a summoner and its summoned unit, a structure and the minions it spawns/trains, a master and its servant(s), or similar combination of 'creator' and 'created' unit.

Download Contest Submissions (Zip)

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Trying to manipulate the poll in any form is not allowed.
    If you're aware of ip-sharing with any voter, for any reason, you should contact the staff.
  • Harassment towards others to influence the result will lead to punishment.
  • A neutral recommendation to take part at the poll isn't problematic, though.
  • Voting for yourself is not allowed, and will lead to a malus by 5%.
  • Participating in the poll does not explicitly safe one from being disqualified.
  • Judges are not allowed to vote.
You are very welcome to make a short statement what you like the most, so contestants get a bit of public feedback!

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points.
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points.
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points.
  • Entry: 5 reputation points.
  • Judge: 5 reputation points.
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.
other_judges-png.311510

• MiniMage
  • The_Silent

other_entries-png.311509

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Mesh
How the mesh looks aesthetically? How are its proportions, its balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution?/10

Skin
How good is the wrap? Are custom textures appealing? Or how adequate are the in-game chosen textures? Is it blurry/stretched? Do the tones go well together?/10

Animations
How natural, smooth and appropriate are the animations? If they're custom, how well are they executed? Do they have physical coherence? Do they have character/personality? If they are imported, how appropriate was the animation choice? How hard is it to relate it to the original in that case?/10

Effects
How adequate are the particle/ribbon/etc effects added? Do they contribute to the model? Are they impressing? But are they added in a good measure? Did the model need more?/5

Theme
How well do the two models fit each other thematically? Do they complement each other? Is it clear which is the spawner and which is the spawnee?/10

Mechanics
How well does the model work in-game? Are the animations recognizable in-game? Does it feature attachments/footprints/collisions/etc? Is it fully selectable?/5

Creativity
How original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? Does it fit the theme? Does it fit WC3 environment?/10

/60

Judgement: 70%
Poll: 30%​
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The poll shall begin on 7th October 2019 and conclude on 7th November 2019 GMT (day is included).

Attachments

• ContestSubmissions.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 222

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
All of them are really lovely, however there can be only one.

I give more credit to those who worked alone for their time invested.

1. Grendel's is really good but the originality falls a bit with the infested villager.
  2. Arowanna and Stefan.K did a well WoW job however in terms of creativity it isn't impressive.
  3. Freddyk basically won me with the building animation.
  4. Mythic & ~Nightmare made wonderous models with so many details but sadly, I preferred to put solo work higher.
  5. A.R. & PROXY's work is on par with Arowanna and Stefan.K's in terms of concept, maybe better looking in some regards but still the concept is similar and the units are both human concepts even though one of them is only its skeleton.

It's pretty hard to put critique into these when some have two moving units and others having one of them a building.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I apologize to any who might be waiting for one of those in-depth reviews I try to do for these Contests... I simply don't have the time & wherewithal to do so, so I'll keep it short.

It's clear the likes of Mythic/Nightmare & Freddyk are absolute winners here in terms of model quality. Absolute show-stoppers, both of you.

However, since I'm not the Judge, I decide the metrics which determine my vote, and as always I tend to care a lot more about "fitting into Warcraft 3" than I do almost anything else.

So I have voted for Grendel, whose excellent "Plague Meister" model just knocks it outta the park for me. Ingenious use of the Kodo Beast for such a very different kind of model, and the "Parasite Villager" is pretty appropriately freaky too. Could see myself using this.

Congrats to all who finished (you all did splendidly, really) & good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.