• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #31 - Spawners and Spawned [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 42
WIP on the texture, I sure hope I can finish this on time =.= too busy on assignment
QueenBee.png

As long as they work in regular wc3, contestant has always been able to do this.

In the olden days it made less sense because of the low map size limit. But that limit has been vastly expanded since then. So now the only possible issue is the way wc3 sometimes freak out when too too many polies is on screen.

Same goes for huge custom textures. Ingame textures was a necessity in the past, they are less so today.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
As long as they work in regular wc3, contestant has always been able to do this.

In the olden days it made less sense because of the low map size limit. But that limit has been vastly expanded since then. So now the only possible issue is the way wc3 sometimes freak out when too too many polies is on screen.

Same goes for huge custom textures. Ingame textures was a necessity in the past, they are less so today.
Y'know, it's true. I remember Supa's entry in MC#25, the "Hero Abomination", and how it was really really fancy (especially the custom texture). So much so that I opined it barely fit in Warcraft at all... And back then maybe that was true.

But now with Reforged, it's less of "this doesn't fit Warcraft" and more "which version does it fit"?

Going forward, I really think we should try to make it clear what is expected of Contestants & to separate Reforged from OG Modeling Contests; I can't imagine it would be fair, Judging between the two in the same Contest...

I'm not sure where you have spotted reforged-level models?
I'm no expert, but if you put your & Hayate's models between the regular & Reforged Paladin, I'd argue they're a lot closer to the latter than the former. Just sayin.

I've had a detailed convo with Deolrin who has reminded me what Reforged looks like & convinced me I was just Wrong. Even if you're (& Hayate's) stuff is more detailed than the average OG Wc3 model (which itself is debatable), it's far from Reforged (no offense), so I rescind.

Never mind!

\\\

Dang Direfury; here's hoping you can finish that Sierra Monarch later. :<

Good stuff, Stefan/Arowanna!

Level 42
Y'know, it's true. I remember Supa's entry in MC#25, the "Hero Abomination", and how it was really really fancy (especially the custom texture). So much so that I opined it barely fit in Warcraft at all... And back then maybe that was true.

But now with Reforged, it's less of "this doesn't fit Warcraft" and more "which version does it fit"?

Going forward, I really think we should try to make it clear what is expected of Contestants & to separate Reforged from OG Modeling Contests; I can't imagine it would be fair, Judging between the two in the same Contest...

I'm no expert, but if you put your & Hayate's models between the regular & Reforged Paladin, I'd argue they're a lot closer to the latter than the former. Just sayin.

I've had a detailed convo with Deolrin who has reminded me what Reforged looks like & convinced me I was just Wrong. Even if you're (& Hayate's) stuff is more detailed than the average OG Wc3 model (which itself is debatable), it's far from Reforged (no offense), so I rescind.

Never mind!

\\\

Dang Direfury; here's hoping you can finish that Sierra Monarch later. :<

Good stuff, Stefan/Arowanna!

For reforged it is a totally different style, its more realistic approach and it also probably have more advanced shader

So I dont think mine even come close to reforge style at all

Level 25
Me and @Arowanna are done with our entry: Spawner: Blood Elf Warlock Spawned: Imp

Just want to say many thanks to my partner for the great texture and great partnership. Wish you guys luck finishing you entries.
Thanks for being patient with me!

Good luck out there my dudes. And just in case it matters, I'm down for an extension if it means we'll have more entries!

Level 22

Reforged doesn't exist yet so there is no issue at all.
When it will be out, I guess the models will be technically different (probably normal maps, hi-res textures...) so then it will be 2 categories.
If models become 2020 level, I fear almost nobody will make such models because it's far more hard work.

I'm still working on my entry but I struggle to finish in time...

Level 48
I would also appreciate an extension, btw. Risking sounding greedy, I believe 10 days would be better. After all this contest requires two models, and lasts pretty much as long as a normal contest that requires only one. I'm sorry for not sending a WIP yet, I planned to do so today (got a lot of work done) but I ran into some unexpected snags and it looks like I'll be fixing yesterday's work today...

I vote for a 10-day extension.

After all this contest requires two models, and lasts pretty much as long as a normal contest that requires only one.
This.

If models become 2020 level, I fear almost nobody will make such models because it's far more hard work.
Maybe we can have teams of three for such contests?

Level 48
fac090e62b.png

Here's where I currently stand. The mesh and all of that for the summoner are 100% done, I'm currently ironing out some animation kinks and finalising. The summoned unit is next. I have a very clear idea of where I want to go with him, and he'll have a lot less of the crazy shenanigans that tied me down to this gnome for so long, so I'm hoping I can nail it in the coming days. :smile:

Last edited:
Level 11
Oh hey- finally a modeling contest that I - oh, no, oops, I missed it.

If the contest happened at another time and I remembered how to work all the modeling programs that I used to tinker with... I'd have joined. As it is- good luck err'body and good work so far!

Also as much as I roll my eyes at all the rigid rules/drama in this and (mostly) past Hive contests
such as disallowing Grendel's extra spawned models (hint: -Grendel just combine the models together and have one be the alternate form)
I do have to give credit and admit that I LOVE that this contest is an optionally paired one- especially the fact that one person doesn't have to be 'the texturer' and the other 'the modeler' or any other weird rule enforcing that 50%/50% of the work is done by each person (not that I have a problem with those every once and awhile- its just not my thing). It's great. Have a teammate- or don't- it's your business. Honestly I hope all normal modeling contests stay like this.

Level 22
Unfortunately I haven't had the time I thought I'll have the past week to finish my entry. As it stands I'm withdrawing, will probably still finish the models and upload them to the Hive. Sorry.
That's too bad, you seem to have already a lot of work done !
Can you really not submit something that works ingame, even if it doesnt fulfil (yet !) your initial plan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.