• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TechTree Contest #11 - Techno-Magic[Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Try out enderal if you still havent it's great.
Ontopic is giving every unit an ability considered op? Also may i surpass the 12 standard unit limit or better not?

Offtopic: I'm downloading it through torrent. and yes I plan to play it soon
Ontopic: I Always Give my Stronger Units (Monitor Skyship, Prometheus and Theia titans For Example) Some heavy Abilities or Features, like Chaos Type Attacks or three abilities. You can but not recommended

Sorry for the double post but
I've updated the map

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I hope that showing WIPs 2 days before deadline is still acceptable. This would have happened earlier, but Astaroth was having some setbacks and we were short on models, so I was waiting and waiting and waiting. Eventually, I forgot about the WIPs and we ran out of time, basically, so in the end I settled for showing you guys the WIP with only one fancy new model, the Soul Cube. The Soul Cube is the worker unit, and is also a sort of pseudo-resource for this techno-magic undead faction called the Unificators.

Unit Production: Fabricator

Food Production: Spirit Well

Siege Unit: Bane Chariot

End-Game Unit: Annihilator
PS: We do have proof that we've been working on this since the contest began, if anyone's wondering.

Nah, it's a system I made from scratch. It uses a spell that channels for a very, very long time (like, 5 hours, so for all intents and purposes, 'forever'). The system detects when the spell is cast and checks whether the unit is able to dock, checks if the structure has docking ports, etc. Then a loop runs on randomised integers (which runs until it finds one that's unoccupied) and places the Soul Cube there. The system keeps track of which unit is docked to which station using 2D arrays.

I suppose there must be a better way of doing this, but that's sorta what I made one day and didn't really question it, lol.

Sorry for being a jerk but:
I'm feeling lonely as the only one who released a race

As much as I would love every contest to have a dozen amazing entries I know in the end it will be less - sometimes one or two. That is ok. More than anything these contests are meant to inspire users to continue creating material for Wc3. They are a great part of why this site still exists. Take a look at the handful of other Wc3 fan sites and notice how inactive they are. There's nothing to engage the community.

You're not a jerk. I have no doubt there will be very last minute entries.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
That's probably what I should do; use these Contests as a springboard for actually doing something. It's basically what I use the Hero Contests for...

'Course that darn "no previous work" rule gets in the way of that; I simply don't have time to be starting from scratch every time (and/or I only have so many factions to make; would run out eventually).

Then again... I could always just keep working on my entry, beyond the first Contest (as long as it applied to the Theme of course), and just enter knowing I won't actually be voted/graded on. xD (I mean, I won't stop a Judge who wants to do me a favor...)

Hmm.

Level 18
OK, I hope that showing WIPs 2 days before deadline is still acceptable. This would have happened earlier, but Astaroth was having some setbacks and we were short on models, so I was waiting and waiting and waiting. Eventually, I forgot about the WIPs and we ran out of time, basically, so in the end I settled for showing you guys the WIP with only one fancy new model, the Soul Cube. The Soul Cube is the worker unit, and is also a sort of pseudo-resource for this techno-magic undead faction called the Unificators.

PS: We do have proof that we've been working on this since the contest began, if anyone's wondering.
Indeed, we had a long brainstorming period using mostly Google Docs. I strongly recommend that you use that tool or similar when modding or even working with teams that are far away. (Hey we had an 8 hour difference and the doc helped vastly)

About the contest entry, I had a mayor setback when I was called back to work on my free days. (will get new ones though, soon hopefully). Right now I am rushing models and many planned things to have at least the essentials on the map.

Maybe we will do a contest for past participants that requires them to revise their entry and expand upon it.
I would definitively vote for such a theme "REFORGE a past entry", with the option to create a brand new entry if the contestant hasn't participated in a previous version of the TechTree Contest.

EDIT: sounds very hard to judge, also would newer contestants have a "theme" or will they be allowed to just do what they please?

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well that would be neat. I have long wanted to see my take on the Alchemy side of Goblin-dom come to fruition (really feel that was a creative take on it), and I was definitely hoping to have my Earth Elementals see the light (had a neat racial naming scheme, I think).

A "reforge" Contest, or even just a "you can enter with previous work but take half-off your score" or something. Techtrees are big, man.

As much as I would love every contest to have a dozen amazing entries I know in the end it will be less - sometimes one or two. That is ok. More than anything these contests are meant to inspire users to continue creating material for Wc3. They are a great part of why this site still exists. Take a look at the handful of other Wc3 fan sites and notice how inactive they are. There's nothing to engage the community.

there is... a darker path, one many would call a desperate measure. yet these are desperate times... or maybe i'm talking out of my bum

one week extension

Level 12

Thanks

Maybe we will do a contest for past participants that requires them to revise their entry and expand upon it.

Count me In.

Level 16
A small update, all that is left for me is adding the shop, a few upgrades and the race choosing triggers. And optionally finishing the fourth hero.

Attachments

• (6)JungleFever GHET v3.w3x
    4 MB · Views: 127
Welp,here's my entry. Hopefully its enough for me to be in the top 3. I wasted a lot of time thinking of good and interesting spells for the Heroes. I dun have time to write something good like my previous entry,as well as I dun have time to fix any bugs discovered in my entry.

EDITED: Improved one is located here: Tech Tree Contest #11 - Techno-Magic (Optionally Paired)

Last edited:
Level 18
Greetings fellow contestants,
Spellbound and I have being working the past days almost fully on our off-work time to finish our entry, for as I posted earlier due to having much less time than planned we have many things that are not fully implemented.

I have asked the host and it’s feasible to have a 1 week extension if we all agree to have it.
Thus, I am asking you all if you would mind to have this extension, being the only and last one ofc. (Thanks for your patience and good job everyone).

Spellbound has showed you the core mechanics of our faction, now I will share some pics of custom units we have being working on.

ScreenShot1.PNG
ScreenShot2.PNG

Last edited:
Alright so let's make sure everyone knows they have until Sunday 23:59 GMT.
Sunday as in tomorrow or Sunday as in Sunday the 18th? I thought it was going to be 1 week:
I have asked the host and it’s feasible to have a 1 week extension if we all agree to have it.

Welp,here's my entry. Hopefully its enough for me to be in the top 3. I wasted a lot of time thinking of good and interesting spells for the Heroes. I dun have time to write something good like my previous entry,as well as I dun have time to fix any bugs discovered in my entry.
just briefly tested your entry. overall, i liked many ideas, but disliked almost all of the execution. some broad suggestions i have:
  • mechanics and systems shouldn't just be fun to describe, but actually fun to play. the amount of clicks you need to do to perform the most basic actions (e.g. it was a hassle just to set up some lumber income) is too excessive.
  • for the most part, your techtree shows a lot of consideration for balance (at least compared to the average past contest entry). one major aspect that many people don't think of is the economy though. consider the impact of your mechanics on your economy, as well as the entire gameplay. for instance, it's a really bad idea for your race to basically require 4-6 food to have a completely functioning economy (3 workers in the mine, 1-3 for building) - consider that many wc3 battles are fought under 50 food, and that while your race can have 44 food worth of units before upkeep, other races can only field around 38 (the norm is 5 on gold, 6-8 on wood). also, that 5 second stun on the dozer is disgusting. i hope i don't have to explain why.
of course, now that you have time (a week) to fix any bugs, i leave finding those to you.
hopefully if i release my techtree before next sunday, you'll have a chance to criticize and attack my entry :3

just briefly tested your entry. overall, i liked many ideas, but disliked almost all of the execution. some broad suggestions i have:
  • mechanics and systems shouldn't just be fun to describe, but actually fun to play. the amount of clicks you need to do to perform the most basic actions (e.g. it was a hassle just to set up some lumber income) is too excessive.
  • for the most part, your techtree shows a lot of consideration for balance (at least compared to the average past contest entry). one major aspect that many people don't think of is the economy though. consider the impact of your mechanics on your economy, as well as the entire gameplay. for instance, it's a really bad idea for your race to basically require 4-6 food to have a completely functioning economy (3 workers in the mine, 1-3 for building) - consider that many wc3 battles are fought under 50 food, and that while your race can have 44 food worth of units before upkeep, other races can only field around 38 (the norm is 5 on gold, 6-8 on wood). also, that 5 second stun on the dozer is disgusting. i hope i don't have to explain why.
Yup,you're explanation makes perfect sense.
623-01221994er.jpg

Will try to fix the economy balance issues and the other things you mentioned. I kinda rush making the entry because heck there was 2 days left until deadline,thus making my entry a bit unsatisfying. Also,I'm planning to make a 4th hero,the Dwarven Cyborg,some kinda solo hero.

EDIT: I've made some recent updates:
- Added the D.W.A.R.F (Dwarven War Armageddon Riot Fleet) hero with these skills: Shock, Electrifying Smack, Fallen Courage and Charge!.
- Deleted the Extractor (lumber extracting thingy) and replaced it with Lumberjack's Hall.
- Slight bug fixes.
- Added a new item to the Dwarven Treasury,replacing Mechanical Critter.
- Balancing issues managed.
- Made Industrial Mine requires 5 miners.
- Dozer rocket now stun only for 2 seconds.
- Realized that potion of healing doesn't heal mechanical heroes,so changed it to something else.

Last edited:
xYours Trulyx presents
Dalacorpian Dwarves

ice_dwarves_by_jubjubjedi-d7jggk0.jpg
Artwork by jubjubjedi.

Magic and iron,Dalacorpian Dwarves has it all. These menacing engineers can create deadly mechanical units with high magic power. With their brute strength and intellectual knowledge, Dalacorpian Dwarves can cause havoc to your opponents. Let them shiver with fear as these dwarves destroys everything that stands in their way.

After the destruction of the city of Dwarfhold,the remaining dwarves has no choice but to leave their wasted homelands. The dwarves take shelter in a nearby human village, on which they exchange their remaining gold for. They then started to construct war machines. An Archmage saw their work and observed it. Realizing that those war machines are a force to be reckoned with,the Archmage reported it to the Dalaran Corporation. Desoloth,the Dalaran Corporation chancellor visited the dwarves and firstly declared peace. Desoloth question the dwarf leader, Kron Gimli,weather or not he have ever used magic. Kron replied no. Desoloth observed the war machines. He asked that if he can buy two of them. Kron needed money and agreed with the offer. Desoloth then brought the war machines to the Dalaran Corporation observatory. He implanted magical crystals to one war machine to try and enchant it. Desoloth made the enchanted war machine and the normal one fight. He was surprised that the enchanted war machine didn't even got a scratch. Desoloth visited the dwarves again and asked them to work at the Dalaran Corporation as Dalacorpian Dwarves. Kron and the other dwarves agreed,as long as they get paid and hopefully able to rebuild their homelands from the siege of Orcs.

Tier 1
Engineer - Worker unit. Can build various structures and units,mine gold and repair.
Dozer - Builder unit. Can build structures. Has Stun Rocket.
Dwalin - Basic melee unit,can learn Dwarven Ale.
Greywheel - Ranged unit,has potential in large groups. Can move faster with Refined Wheels.

Tier 2

Airdrone - Fast and flexible flying unit. Can learn Pyrohance Bullets.
Tinman - Fast unit wielding magical blades with Vanish. Can learn Nuclear Telepathy.
Technomancer - Support spellcaster. Initially has Force Field,which temporarily boosts a mechanical unit's defense. Can learn Plasma Charge and Summon Rairift.
Runesmith - Offensive spellcaster. Initially has Heat Cage,which traps an enemy in a magical cage and they take damage. Can learn Distant Splitfire and Explosion.
Afuxator - Offensive spellcaster that can turn the tides of battle when there's an enemy spellcaster nearby. Initally has Magic Bolt,which shoots a magical arrow dealing extra damage and slows them. Can learn Reversal Mana and Antimagic Iron.
Scrapdrone - Weak inexpensive unit. Useful to fend off attackers.

Tier 3
Mechasaw - Heavy melee unit. Can learn Flesh Tearing Saw.
Pletontank - Heavy ranged unit. Can learn Anti-Aero, Anti-Champi
on and Anti-Mech.
Hijacker - Melee unit that can hijack enemy mechanical. Has hijack and can learn Camouflage.
Atomix - Mighty melee unit with Flametouch. Can learn Atom Blast.

D.W.A.R.F - Warrior Hero
⚈Shock - Shoots lightning bolts at enemies,dealing damage and bounces to nearby enemies dealing lesser damage.
⚈Electrifying Smack - Attack has a chance to disable a target for a few seconds and does extra damage.
⚈Fallen Courage - Any kills made will heal and increases damage by x%. Damage increment stacks up to 5 times.
⚈Charge! - Calls up hordes of dwarven soldiers to fight to death. Each dwarf does x damage.

Mightheart - Warrior Hero
⚈Bash of Might - Does x damage to an enemy and applies a heal over time to the Mightheart.
⚈Steam Mist - Lets out a mist of steam to a target area,disabling any enemy ranged unit caught in.
⚈Enchanted Plating - Increases defense.
⚈Contact Bomb - Causes enemies to attack the Mightheart. After 5 seconds,the Mightheart explodes,dealing damage equal to half of the Mightheart's remaining health,unless its under 20%,which deals full

Orbatron - Agility Hero
⚈Sapper Protocol - Summons an orb that sucks enemies mana.
⚈Icicle Globes - Summons x orbs that freezes enemies for x seconds.
⚈Orbatron Shield - While activated, the damage dealt to the Orbatron will strike its mana instead.
⚈Thunderous Despair - Prevents enemies with mana from casting spells, and reduces their speed by x%,make their attacks miss by x% and reduces attack rate by x%.

Mechanomancer - Wizard Hero
⚈Energy Ball - Applies a damage over time to an enemy for x damage over x seconds.
⚈Ironwill - Increases a mechanical allied unit's defense.
⚈Techno Aura - Increases nearby mechanical allied units' attack rate and movement speed.
⚈Supercharged Volts - If targeted on:
- Mechanical ally - Heal
- Organic ally - Increases defense
- Structure - Destroys,no matter allied or not
- Enemy - Damage

Models
⚈Direfury
⚈paulH
⚈Norinrad
⚈Kofi_Banan
⚈-Grendel
⚈Pvt.Toma
⚈TipsyDwarf
⚈Hayate
⚈epsilon
⚈Vampir1991
⚈bisnar13
⚈Systemfre1
⚈Ket
⚈Jongkaidut'89
⚈MatiS
⚈Mike
⚈The_Silent
⚈Callahan
⚈Fingolfin
⚈sPy
⚈Kuhneghetz
⚈WILL THE ALMIGHTY
⚈Lord_T
⚈Mechanical Man
⚈Korjia2029
⚈CreatorD3292
⚈Kitabatake

Icons
⚈Eagle XI
⚈I3lackDeath
⚈NFWar
⚈Norinrad
⚈Blizzard Entertainment
⚈zbc
⚈PeeKay
⚈San
⚈The Panda
⚈The_Silent
⚈67chrome
⚈darkdeathknight
⚈4eNNightmare
⚈WILL THE ALMIGHTY
⚈Coinblin
⚈JollyD
⚈Hemske
⚈Serbianbeast
⚈bigapple90
⚈Darkfang

Skins
⚈Dentothor
⚈Daenar7
⚈DampirTBs (xgm.guru)
⚈cavite000

Triggers
⚈Bribe
⚈Tank-Commander

NOTES:I cannot remember all of the resource makers. If you found your creation in my entry,and you're not in the list,please contact me and I'll be happy to add your name to this credit list.

Attachments

• THW.TC11.xYours Trulyx.DalDwa2.w3x
    6.1 MB · Views: 245
Last edited:
i'm a master of consuming time.

finished the Carrion Synapse mesh, and here's a brief overview of its role:
  • Generates 10 food & a maximum of 3 corpses around it
  • Has the Levitate ability, which allows it to fly but gain heavy armour
  • Allows you to construct buildings within a radius of the Synapse (requires the Synapse to be landed on ground)
  • Allows existing Cyber Scourge buildings within a radius to function (requires the Synapse to be landed on ground)
  • Can carry corpses like Meat Wagons
Tl;dr: it's a protoss pylon that can fly and spawn corpses

Attachments

• carrionsynapse.png
    carrionsynapse.png
    361.9 KB · Views: 140
i'm a master of consuming time.

finished the Carrion Synapse mesh, and here's a brief overview of its role:
  • Generates 10 food & a maximum of 3 corpses around it
  • Has the Levitate ability, which allows it to fly but gain heavy armour
  • Allows you to construct buildings within a radius of the Synapse (requires the Synapse to be landed on ground)
  • Allows existing Cyber Scourge buildings within a radius to function (requires the Synapse to be landed on ground)
  • Can carry corpses like Meat Wagons
Tl;dr: it's a protoss pylon that can fly and spawn corpses
Looks great! I'll be very curious to try out this race. Never thought about making Pylon build stuff before.

Status
Not open for further replies.