1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Let your favorite entries duke it out in the 15th Techtree Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Weave light to take you to your highest hopes - the 6th Special Effect Contest is here!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #15 - Co-op Commanders [Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Wazzz, May 29, 2020.

1. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Great, they I'll go as planned regarding the terrain.
    The idea behind it is that there are two entry points to the main base, one land and one sea only (still need to walk you units, but might surprise the enemy in a PvP scenario).
    Additionally these paths somewhat cross in the middle, where land units may be attacked by the fleet, but can still get out of range (while limiting their advance).

So all that together, one can get a great use of naval units and transport the actual assault force with them. But of course there's the risk of loosing it if the ships get destroyed.
    Balance is that the naval units are not build to attack the main base, but can damage the expansion. Expert the ghost ship of course, since it's flying.
    All that together would make them not useless but not overpowered.

I just feel that a the Lord Admiral needs her fleet.

MyLord!.PNG

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  2. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  3. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thats just the title, but I don't think the title of "Lord" for a female character makes any sense.

4. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Actually, from what I can tell, there is no rank known as "Lady Admiral". Additionally, while in previous cases of the term Lord being typically applied to men, it is not always the case. The Lord of Mann is a title currently held by the Queen of the United Kingdom, and there are females with the title "Lord mayor".

Now, the term Lord Admiral and Lord High Admiral seems to be an older term, but here's an interesting person worth looking into:
    Anne, Queen of Great Britain - Wikipedia

It seems that at some point she did appoint her husband the Lord High Admiral, but upon his death, she insisted upon carrying out the duties herself. She is effectively recorded down as a female Lord High Admiral.

It also looks like Queen Elizabeth II held the title of Lord High Admiral from the 1st of April, 1964, to the 10th of June, 2011, according to this list:

Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

5. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well...
    That's right. That's what happens when I try to suppose the rules of my native language to the English :).

6. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Aha, so this is a language discussion thread now, my true passion! (one wouldn't know, seeing my grammar)

- Lord comes from Loaf Ward, (these have their Indo-Aryan origins... you'd be surprised how many words have same origins from Russian, Baltic, Anglo to German).

- Lady is of course related and comes from Hlaf (Hlaf=Loaf) Dike (yes it became a slur later, but is related to ditch, kneading = diking)

So while Lord is applicable a duty position to watch/protect something important, Lady is a position of maintaining it.
    The choice is simple, either Jaina is a Dike, or a Ward!

7. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    To be fair, female Lord High Admirals appear to be an exception to the rule, but so far the title hasn't changed with them - and, in most instances, you would be right. When it comes to ranks in nobility, for instance, the men are Lords, while women of equivalent noble standing were Ladies.

I found it rather interesting to look into, and I feel very safe with Jaina being Lord Admiral. She is her father's daughter, after all :)

8. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, glad to make the topic but not glad if that accounts as off-topic.

I have no decent knowledge of rankings and positions, so I thought it will go with the equivalent thing. I have seen some places use chairlady for example, though apparently that was not an official English thing.

9. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Speaking of which, here's an early WIP of my faction. I already have planned some of the more detailed features for the race, but I don't have WIPs for them yet.

Buildings WIP

Wip1.png

Since Pandarens enjoy eating good food as well as drinking strong booze, Chen would be no different, being a Brewmaster. So, I've made the farm building for my race grow a particular plant that will benefit the race; Bamboo Stalks.

More Info

Wip2.png

10. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice an immersive Pandaren theme!
    BTW, you absolutely must include an Alemental!

11. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Moonman after some of the ale so he can beat up those filthy landlubbers

It's nice to see some WIPs up and happening, looking good so far :)

12. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Did that just now. :) I hope my copies work.

This level of interest for the contest is lovely. :D
    We're off to a promising start. Theme's wonderful. Keep the WIPs coming, folks.

13. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think anybody using reforged should get an automatic hug from all other entrants because geez, I forgot how much more effort it takes to edit skins/icons in reforged even for basic things compared to Classic.

I could pull my hair out sometimes. Also the lack of resources :'(

14. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Can totally relate, wanted to get in on making one of the first HD entries for these contests, and @Moonman can attest to just how much effort had to go into each of the textures. And then there was the icons.

15. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    For anyone wanting to see madness incarnate, open Reforged Mountain Giant textures ;)

On a different note: I am currently struggling with a normal.dds finished other textures and when opening in editor the skin looked all messed up. Saving in any available format (yes ALL of them), didn't solve the issue.
    Even asked William if he has any info on how Blizzard saved the textures... we'll see, hope I didn't waste the day on the texture.

Also just to be 100% safe, should I send the judges a rough layout of the terrain for approval, or is it generally accepted that expanding water, and altering base access points is OK?

16. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh my... that's just... you can't see where any of it goes its just stone and moss everywhere :eek:

I tried editing the diffuse and normals of the Altar of Kings and the Town Hall, Keep and Castle to make them have the Dalaran symbol instead of the Lordaeron one and it just didn't work for whatever reason. It's frustrating.

17. Riki Martin

Riki Martin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm going with the option of a single OP hero, which in my case is Grom. I also decided that the faction will have no air units, so instead they will focus on another strategies to effectively confront the rest of races.

WIP1.PNG

Attached Files:

18. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lookin' good! No air units so I'm assuming he'll focus more on Ensnaring enemy air units since it doesn't look like he has much going for him in terms of AA.

19. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm inclined to say to do what you want with the map in that respect, and the judges will look at it when it comes to final submission. In effect, whatever you want to do with the terrain is now technically acceptable, but, of course, it will be at your own discretion. After all, it will be the techtree itself that gets judged, less so the terrain.

20. Shar Dundred

Shar Dundred

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is an interesting question. Editing the map to have more water gives ships of a Kul Tiras
    faction more usefulness, meaning that the faction will excel better with water but also worse
    on maps without as much water. Ships are, in the current state of WarCraft, not part of your
    usual techtree. Sadly so, I would like the ability to implement them like in the old days. Yes, I
    also miss my damn oil.
    A heavy reliance on water can give @Moonman's Kul Tiras faction a strength, but also a weakness
    for maps without enough water.
    Personally I am all for water warfare, but I can also see this causing the faction to struggle on
    any maps that completely lack water.