• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #13 - Coloured Mana [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
Well, so far everybody's looking pretty good, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of Spellbound and Mythic's entry as so far only a few integrated systems have been revealed, and the faction itself seems so... mysterious :D

Also it really is amazing when I see Gluma's lizardmen models put together that way, and the custom voice sets are amazing :D

So, here I want to post a version of the map as a WIP, a playable test WIP. Play as Human with 90% Handicap and you can enjoy the Bandits in all their glory. Set the Computer as Human with 90% Handicap and you can play against the AI for the Bandits, which may also be in all their glory. Have fun with it, let me know what you think of it so far, basically, play the ever living shit out of these naughty boys :)

Attachments

• THW.Wazzz.Bandits.WIP.w3x
    8.3 MB · Views: 131
Well, so far everybody's looking pretty good, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of Spellbound and Mythic's entry as so far only a few integrated systems have been revealed, and the faction itself seems so... mysterious :D

Also it really is amazing when I see Gluma's lizardmen models put together that way, and the custom voice sets are amazing :D

So, here I want to post a version of the map as a WIP, a playable test WIP. Play as Human with 90% Handicap and you can enjoy the Bandits in all their glory. Set the Computer as Human with 90% Handicap and you can play against the AI for the Bandits, which may also be in all their glory. Have fun with it, let me know what you think of it so far, basically, play the ever living shit out of these naughty boys :)

I've played your race. Well, sort of. The lag spikes are unbearable. Please fix that. I was really tempted to test out your entry, but the lag made me exit early.

Level 35
I've played your race. Well, sort of. The lag spikes are unbearable. Please fix that. I was really tempted to test out your entry, but the lag made me exit early.

I'm not sure where to fix it, I haven't really encountered any lag spikes myself. I have been tinkering around with some of the smaller things anyway, although apparently the Disease Cloud buff's model can't be edited, unless perhaps if you edit the original buff... that's a rather annoying issue. I think the only places I may have encountered slight lag was from the Custom Race System being implemented, before that I think it ran perfectly smoothly but... well, it also didn't make my race easily accessible and have an AI play it with all the additional knick knacks I've come to enjoy of the system :^)

I'm not sure where to fix it, I haven't really encountered any lag spikes myself. I have been tinkering around with some of the smaller things anyway, although apparently the Disease Cloud buff's model can't be edited, unless perhaps if you edit the original buff... that's a rather annoying issue. I think the only places I may have encountered slight lag was from the Custom Race System being implemented, before that I think it ran perfectly smoothly but... well, it also didn't make my race easily accessible and have an AI play it with all the additional knick knacks I've come to enjoy of the system :^)

Maybe it's something from my end. Not sure. At the start, the lag spikes was already there, mind the Custom Race System. As the game progresses, it gets laggier and laggier to the point where it freezes a few seconds.

Level 35
That might be it. I'm using 1.31. You're probably using new natives that's not in my version.

Ohhh dang, it's possible. I know when I first tried out the Custom Race System it added a smidge of lag at the start but nothing too bad, just the occasional "oh it's loading" sort of thing. It's possible that I may or may not have also added stuff in that makes things behave differently.

Level 35
When testing out your entry, the spell Call Made Men still had debug messages attached to it. Something that goes:

<Insert Name>

EDIT: Oh, and I copied most of the Race Setups (for melee, excluding Bandit race setup).

Ah I left a debug message in? Thanks for spotting that, somehow I still missed that one :D
God damn I thought I got them all xD

And no probs, it's just the system provided on the first page, was definitely worth working with :D

Level 35
UPDATE:

I have compiled together a "manual" for my techtree entry using the WIP images I created throughout the contest. It seemed to be the most practical use of them.

And here is an updated version of the playable WIP while I'm at it, too. It has the debug messages removed (hopefully) and I resolved a number of issues with hotkeys and other minor anomalies.

Attachments

• The Bandit Outlaws Manual.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 165
  • THW.Wazzz.Bandits.WIP.w3x
    8.3 MB · Views: 131
Level 11
Oh god. Hive stopped anunciating me the messages. All this progress is exclent, guys.
I was off from WE for a week, so, maybe, i can't finish all the techtree (11-11-4, I need more Heroes). Anyway, I have all the necessary to follow the rules. I have a caster Int Hero, very good killing amounts of units. Also, I have all the structures. I just need the Heroes (I have all them on my mind) and some Race upgrades. It's how an advanced base would look like:
Base.jpg

Just realized I never gave my hero, the Field Scorcher a proper introduction. I've revamped most of his skills, he was a tough one to balance and giving him a proper role was kinda difficult. Here's a video of his reworked abilities:

I am also planning to make an ultimate unit, something like Frost Wyrms, Gryphon Riders, Taurens and Chimeras. This one is called the Serpent Incarnate:
31159-83b51ba13f00954f2c5cdb5513f10cc1.jpg

(image taken directly from the model source, too lazy)

Level 4
Here is another WIP, sorry its been so long.

I probably should have explained the theme i was going for in my previous post, but late is better than never right :)

The main theme behind my race is Save the Trees.
All races in the War3 universe destroy trees (even nightelves who supposedly protect them)
The idea is to feel like you are rising from the trees to stop others felling them.

hivetechtreecontest_wip2_by_islesofurth_ddgwcr5-fullview.jpg

These are some really wonderful entries. Also, I have not posted an update on the Orderions, but the units that are already present have received a name change.

Ver'thuuns became Themyscian Nymphs, Entropic Mages became Orduonic Mages, Glaive-Bearers became Orduon Acolytes.
Zealots become Orduon Elite Guards.

I haven't really started on the heroes, since most of the spells given to the units are mostly triggered.

Two spells which the Orduonic mages have:
- Entropic Bomb - deals aoe damage to a target unit after a 4-second delay. More damage dealt if more units are present.
- Mobius Field - An AOE X-marks the spot, which does not pierce invulnerability.
- Eudonis' Curse - Unholy Frenzy that slowly spreads like a disease across nearby enemy units. (Technically a buff). Deals 10 damage per second (WIP).

Three more units are still in conceptual stage, but their names are:
- Scoutoid - A unit that can move very quickly, has impressive night vision, and can detect invisible units. Can abduct enemy units (Devour ability).
- Avatar of Eunity - A tanky passive unit that can't attack, but has a reflection ability that deals 65% of incoming damage it receives as reflected damage. Has a powerful Taunt ability that persists with units (players can't really stop them).
- Avogadrion - Electricity-based air unit that can place a debuff on an enemy target, which lowers their inner resistance, anplifying damage received from lightning sources. The same buff on allies instead increases their inner resistance, reducing damage.

Level 27
Sons-of-Tyskhadi-logo.png

divider.png

Lore-title.png

Dark-Elves-Lore-Full.png

divider.png

Details-title.png

These mad elves are fanatical worshipers of the goddess Tyskhadi, who is representation of death, slaughter and brutality. Those unlucky to survive their massacres will be captured to serve as mere sacrifices for the evil goddess. Their military forces are strictly organized in "Banner Armies", multiple divisions of units that work at unison to achieve victory in battle, and maintain alliances with the Deadwoods Dark Elves, who assist they in battle with specialized mercenaries and enhanced ranged weapons.

divider.png

Features-title.png

Slaves and Rituals

Banner Armies

Gold production

slaves.png

SLAVES
Sons of Tyskhadi capture slaves for their evil purposes and mainly for their bloody rituals. These slaves serve as a third resource that can be collected by killing units. Each defeated unit has a 40% chance of increase the slaves counter by the amount on food that it consumes. This chance can be increased with the Oppression upgrade.

rituals.png

RITUALS
The high priests of Tyskhadi make brutal sacrifices in their main sanctuaries. They use the lives of captured slaves to satisfy the goddess and get rewards in return.

armies.png

BANNER ARMIES
The Dark Elves training system works as predetermined combinations of troops that are deployed from War Academies. The average cost and training time of a Banner Army is high, but is favored by the offensive style of the faction.

academy.png

WAR ACADEMIES
The War Academies are essential structures for Dark Elves, serving as training and food production buildings. Multiple academies are necessary for increase food capacity and maintain troop production.

mine.png

DEFILED GOLD MINES
The arcane mechanism placed at the top is fed with the energies contained by Elemental Souls. The resulting advantage is a gold mine capable of gather by itself without the need of workers.

charges.png

INFUSING MINES
Elemental Souls can sacrifices their lives to increase the gold production speed of a Defiled Gold Mine. A max of 3 Souls can infuse each mine.

divider.png

Units-title.png

Tier 1
Tier 1

Evoker

Elemental Soul

Zealot

Drider

Evoker.png

Essential basic unit. Can summon Elemental Souls and Restore buildings.
  • Restore: Repairs friendly Dark Elf buildings, allied buildings, and friendly mechanical units.
  • Summon Elemental Soul: Summons an Elemental Soul to assist this Evoker. Elemental Souls can build structures, defile Gold Mines and gather lumber. Can also sacrifice themselves to increases gold production from Defiled Mines or improve buildings stats. Each Evoker can have only 1 Elemental Soul active at the same time, and if the Evoker dies her Elemental Soul will disappear. Cost 1 food.

Soul-Elemental.png

Basic worker. Can build structures, defile Gold Mines and gather lumber. Can also sacrifice themselves to increases gold production from Defiled Mines or improve buildings stats.
  • Infuse: Sacrifices its physical form to transfer the dark energies to the selected building, increasing armor by 5 and repairing it at 10 hit points per second over 8 seconds. If used on Defiled Gold Mines, increases gold production speed to a max of 3 extra stacks, then will apply the normal defensive bonuses.
  • Extract: Harvests lumber from trees.

Zealot.png

Vicious melee warrior, fragile but with strong attacks. Has the Sneak Attack ability, giving her a chance of deal bonus pure damage on attacks. Can learn Blade Dance and Vendetta.
  • Sneak Attack: Attacks have a 15% chance of deal 5 bonus damage or 5% chance of deal 10 bonus damage. Damage inflicted by this ability is Pure. Blade Dance upgrade will increase the chance to 20% chance of deal 8 bonus damage or 10% chance of deal 16 bonus damage.
  • Vendetta: When attacked, this unit has a 10% chance of enter on an uncontrollable frenzy where attack speed is increased by 125% and damage received is reduced by 70%. Lasts 3 seconds.

Drider.png

Fast monstrosity with ranged attacks, effective against air units and wounded enemies. Has Toxic Arrows, which poison enemies, causing more effects based on missing health of target. Can learn True Vision and Harassment.
  • Toxic Arrows: Adds an additional poison effect to attacks. This poison gets more deadly against wounded enemies. Lasts 5 seconds on units and 2 seconds on Heroes.
  • True Vision: Through enhanced senses, this unit can reveal nearby invisible units.

Tier 2
Tier 2

Ravager

Hierophant

Scourger

Deadwoods Stalker

War Hydra

Ravager.png

Long-range siege weaponry. Effective damage against buildings, but slow and vulnerable. Can learn Distort.
  • Distort: Void infused bolts distort the reality on attacked buildings and mechanical units, giving a 10% chance of cause 1 or more effects.

Hierophant.png

Supporting spellcaster. Can initially cast Disperse, which dispel magic from units, healing them if target is a Dark Elf, otherwise will stun it. Can also learn Life Tap and Grim Seal.
  • Disperse: Dispels positive buffs from enemy units, and negative buffs from friendly units. If target is a Dark Elven unit it will be healed by 10% of its max HP, otherwise it will be stunned for 2 seconds.
  • Life Tap: Curses an enemy, healing all Dark Elven units that attack it for 30% of their attack damage.
  • Grim Seal: Summons a seal at target area that weakens magical defense of enemies around it, causing they to receive 50% more damage from spells.

Scourger.png

Offensive spellcaster. Can initially cast Carnage, which increases attack speed of allied units. Can also learn Iron Maiden and Rot.
  • Carnage: Increases a friendly unit's attack rate by 50%. Cannot be cast on Heroes.
  • Iron Maiden: Inflicts a curse on target enemy, condemning it to receive the damage it inflict upon others when spell ends, is dispelled or reach the limit damage. A max of 200 damage can be reached. Lasts for 15 seconds on units or 5 on heroes.
  • Rot: Rots enemy's skin and organs, causing a terrible pain. Deals 6 damage per second, prevents the casting of spells and slows movement speed by 35%.

Stalker.png

Anti-spellcaster mercenary with long range attacks. Has Spell Hunter, which deal extra damage based on missing mana and number of buffs that the target has. Can learn Spectral Veil.
  • Spell Hunter: Attacks cause extra damage based on missing mana and number of buffs that the target has. 4 bonus damage per buff and 3 per 20% mana missing.
  • Spectral Veil: Reduces the duration of negative spells and renders the unit immune to certain spells.

Hydra.png

Ferocious melee unit that regenerates its wounds quickly, exceptional at destroying buildings. Can learn Scaly Skin.
  • Beast Blood: This creature regenerates its hit points quickly.

Tier 3
Tier 3

Avenger

Twilight Drake

Black Amazon

Avenger.png

Heavy melee warrior. Can learn the Final Wrath ability.
  • Final Wrath: When received a killing blow, the Avenger has a 50% chance of going berserk for 10 seconds, increasing his stats.

Drake.png

Fast flying creature, good at scouting and countering air units. Can learn Dragon's Instinct.

Amazon.png

Giant owl, mounted by a letal Dark Elf ranger. Has the Heartpiercer ability, which gives a chance of ignore armor on attacks. Can learn the Shadow Sentence ability.
  • Shadow Sentence: Marks a target, causing the corrupted energies from Black Amazons arrows to exit from its body and spread to nearby enemies. The spreaded damage is equal to 100% of Black Amazon's attack but is divided between number of enemies affected. Also increases the chance of activate Heatpiercer, and spreaded damage can activate it also. Lasts 15 seconds on units and 5 second on heroes.
  • Heartpiercer: Each attack has a 15% chance to deal total damage and reduce target's armor by 5 for 5 seconds. If attacked target has a Shadow Sentence the chance is increased to 25%.

divider.png

Heroes-title.png

Abbess of Pain

Abbess.PNG

Mystical Hero, adept at weakening enemy forces. Can learn Raze, Evil Maze, Blood Mana and Soul Siphon.

Raze

Evil Maze

Blood Mana

Soul Siphon

Channels Tyskhadi's wrath in the target area. After 3 seconds causes damage based on how many enemies are in that area.
  • Level 1: 50 base damage, 15 bonus damage for each enemy.
  • Level 2: 50 base damage, 30 bonus damage for each enemy.
  • Level 3: 50 base damage, 45 bonus damage for each enemy.

Creates a maze of black magic traps in the target area. Enemies that walk into a trap are greatly slowed. Each level increases duration of the traps.
  • Level 1: Traps lasts for 6 seconds.
  • Level 2: Traps lasts for 9 seconds.
  • Level 3: Traps lasts for 12 seconds.

Curses an enemy with Blood Mana, causing it to lose health or mana when casting spells. Can only be used on targets with mana.
  • Level 1: Lasts 30 seconds on units and 10 seconds on heroes. Cooldown of 12 seconds.
  • Level 2: Lasts 40 seconds on units and 15 seconds on heroes. Cooldown of 10 seconds.
  • Level 3: Lasts 50 seconds on units and 20 seconds on heroes. Cooldown of 8 seconds.

Creates a link between the Abbess of Pain and an enemy unit, draining 32 hit points per second from the enemy to increase Abbess's damage by 1 and movement speed by 3 per stack. Link lasts for 10 seconds but can be breaked if distance between Abbess and target is greater than 700 or any of they are dead. Multiple links can be active at the same time and each acts individually. Bonus damage and movement speed lasts 10 seconds after link breaks.

Immortal

Immortal.PNG

Warrior hero, exceptional at resisting damage. Can learn Life Break, Execute, Fortitude and Sadism.

Life Break

Execute

Fortitude

Sadism

The Immortal strikes a mighty blow at melee range, damaging both himself and a small area around the target. Deals extra damage to target and cause a ministun.
  • Level 1: 75 base damage, 25 bonus damage to target..
  • Level 2: 100 base damage, 50 bonus damage to target..
  • Level 3: 125 base damage, 75 bonus damage to target..

Using his own life force, the Immortal deals extra damage on attacks based on max HP of the hero when Execute is active. Activation cost no mana but each attack costs 30 hitpoints. Attacks on non-hero units have a little chance of kill it instantly if unit level is less than or equal than 5. Lasts 20 seconds.
  • Level 1: Damage equal to Max HP x 0.02 and 4% execution chance.
  • Level 2: Damage equal to Max HP x 0.03 and 7% execution chance.
  • Level 3: Damage equal to Max HP x 0.04 and 10% execution chance.

Hero's injuries feed his power, giving increased armor and health regeneration based on missing health.
  • Level 1: 2 bonus armor and 1 bonus HP regeneration for each 15% missing health. Max of 4 stacks.
  • Level 2: 2 bonus armor and 1 bonus HP regeneration for each 12% missing health. Max of 5 stacks.
  • Level 3: 2 bonus armor and 1 bonus HP regeneration for each 10% missing health. Max of 6 stacks.

When activated, all damage dealt to the hero will heal instead of harm by 75% of the amount. Most negative buffs will be removed. Also the hero taunts nearby enemy units, forcing 6 of them to uncontrollably attack him during the duration or until Immortal dies. These units will be unselectable for their owner player. Sadism lasts 8 seconds.

Arachnomancer

Arachnomancer.PNG

Mystical Hero, adept at summoning spider minions at battle. Can learn Lethal Injection, Paralyzing Web, Summon Monstrous Spiders and Arachnid Shape.

Lethal Injection

Paralyzing Web

Summon Monstrous Spiders

Arachnid Shape

Injects 2 spiderlings into an enemy unit, dealing damage. If Arachnomancer is in normal form the damage will be dealed instantly. If Arachnid Shape is active will be deal dps instead. The spiderlings will hatch if the target die under this influence. Spiderlings lasts 60 seconds.
  • Level 1: 100 damage on normal form or 8 dps during 15 seconds on Arachnid Shape.
  • Level 2: 140 damage on normal form or 12 dps during 15 seconds on Arachnid Shape.
  • Level 3: 180 damage on normal form or 16 dps during 15 seconds on Arachnid Shape.

Catch an enemy unit in a web, immobilizing it. If Arachnid Shape is active, the hero will also jump to the target, dealing damage to it. Trapped units receive 25% more damage from attacks of Arachnid Shape and any spawned spider.
  • Level 1: Web lasts 10 seconds on units and 3 seconds on heroes. 25 jump damage.
  • Level 2: Web lasts 15 seconds on units and 5 seconds on heroes. 50 jump damage.
  • Level 3: Web lasts 20 seconds on units and 7 seconds on heroes. 75 jump damage.

Summons 2 Monstrous Spiders to fight enemies for a limited time. Spider have poison attacks and lasts 40 seconds.
  • Level 1: 210 hit points, 17 - 19 damage.
  • Level 2: 270 hit points, 21 - 24 damage.
  • Level 3: 330 hit points, 25 - 29 damage.

Transforms the Arachnomancer into a giant spider, losing his ranged attacks but increasing hit points by 150, armor by 3 and improving Lethal Injection and Paralyzing Web.

divider.png

Strategy-title.png

-SOON-
divider.png

Credits-title.png

-MODELS-
Ujimasa Hojo
SuPa-
Stefan.K
garfield
Edge45
HerrDave
Elenai
Tranquil
Retera
67chrome
Misha
Sellenisko
Alethos
Atasha JG
Grey Knight
Tenebrae
atxseN-
Mythic
Champara Bros
Thrikodius
nGy
kellym0
Veronnis
JetFangInferno
Hermit

-SKINS-
nightelfbuilder
~Nightmare
The D3ath
GreyArchon
GhostThruster
Scias

-ICONS-
Scias
SuPa-
kangyun
nightelfbuilder
General Frank
The D3ath
~Nightmare
MrRious
Ujimasa Hojo
Atasha JG
Alethos
PeeKay
morbent
BLazeKraze
CRAZYRUSSIAN
Darkfang
Golden-Drake
JollyD
A.R.
Total War: Warhammer
Total War: Warhammer II
Blizzard

Attachments

• Heroes-title.png
    Heroes-title.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 189
  • THW.DarkElves.w3x
    6.5 MB · Views: 241
Level 35
Update: Here is my upload, which if I need to I may update but if not, this will be my final one:

The Bandit Outlaws.jpg

CREDITS

-MODELS-

Ujimasa Hojo
Gluma
Callahan
Thrikodius
paulH
Retera
EvilCryptLord
Direfury
PeeKay
Daelin
crl
JesusHipster
sPy
UgoUgo
nGy
JetFangInferno
Power
s4nji
Skizzik
Vortigon

-ICONS-

Blizzard Entertainment
Ujimasa Hojo
Gluma
Illidan(Evil)x
Mad
MrRious
BlazeKraze
Amargaard
bu3ny
Marcos DAB
PeeKay
Darkfang
bigapple90
Daelin
Greed26
VaLkYroN
4eNNightmare
Sorenkj
PrinceYaser
Nugamentum
FhelZone
Stanakin
The Panda
Wezthal
CrazyRussian
morbent
viiva
Nash
NFWar
La morte
The_Avenger's_Return

-SKINS-
n/a

-SYSTEMS-

Bribe
Archmage Owenalacaster
Illidan(Evil)x

Bandit Tech-Tree.jpg

PHILOSOPHY

The ideologies of the Bandit Faction are inherently self serving in nature. While they do operate together, their "alliances" are tenuous at best, mostly built upon a foundation of mutual usefulness and held together simply because they are more likely to succeed in their own goals when in larger numbers. The organization itself is inherently designed to exploit the greed and selfishness of those lower down, while the community tends to siphon out those of more altruistic notion by the nature of how it functions. Should anybody be found to hesitate in a heist, they are left behind to the authorities not long after to cover the escape. If they are likely to provide any meaningful information to the authorities, they are eliminated as a liability.

As cut-throat as it is, it is not through any sense of "evil" that they do these acts. Many started out as doing what they do out of a necessity for survival, only to find those of wealth and home trying to tell them that their way of life was wrong. Consequently, notions of authority are not respected among the Bandit Outlaws, for many of them are people who have had many opportunities to live a better life than they were ever afforded and now spend most of their time telling other people how they should live their lives.

STRATEGY

The Bandits thrive on ambush tactics as well as hit-and-run. Whittling away opposing armies in quick strikes before retreating to regroup is the primary method of combat. Upon reaching the second tier, the Ratmen from the Sewer Tunnels provide substantial glass-cannon firepower, as well as a tank that tends to be a little frailer than most. The Shadow Works, on the other hand, provides units that are geared more towards disrupting enemy units. The third tier is where the Bandits get access to their Night Runner assassins, who are adept at hunting heroes, as well as the Nether Dragon, their flying assault creature.

Unique to the Bandits is the capacity to get more out of mercenaries than any of the vanilla factions. They are able to perform a research that will get them Veteran and Elite mercenaries. Additionally, their Town Halls grant them access to hiring mercenaries dependent upon the map, which in this case is the unit roster from the Sunken Ruins Mercenary Camp. This gives them a little more access to mercenaries than anybody else, allowing them to make use of the later game upgrades should they choose to do so, but also allows them to spend a rather substantial fee if they find they need some extra defense at home in a pinch.

While hiring Mercenaries is one of the primary crafts of the Bandit faction by design, another is unconventional means of developing income. With the Artifact Smuggling upgrade available in the early game, the Bandits are able to sell any unwanted items for extra gold, giving them a considerable income boost for selling their spoils. The Life Insurance upgrade gives a small refund for any units that die in combat based upon their unit level. These income boosts may prove critical to the Bandit's operations. The Bandit Lord is also a unique choice in that he is primarily an economic hero. While capable of fighting rather well, his main strengths lie in establishing map vision through his Sentry Traps and acquiring extra income through his Bounty Hunters Aura, which grants a small bounty for all units killed by those under the Aura's effect.

Through these unconventional moneymaking schemes and their hit-and-run ambush tactics, the goal is to pick apart as much as you can of the enemy while keeping as much of your own assets in tact. After all, you are here to turn a profit.

DESIGN

The primary governing decision behind the design for the Bandit faction was to keep things simple, while innovating into new territory of the melee game. I wanted to do something with the Mercenaries, but not in a way that wouldn't fit in with the melee game, and not in a way that would just end up being a boring rehash that pretends to be interesting. As such, the Veteran Mercenaries upgrade was born. The idea was ultimately to give the Bandits an edge in something that no other faction really capitalized on. After having watched a few of Grubby's videos of playing pro-level Warcraft 3, I deduced that the only mercenaries people tended to hire was the Forest Troll Priest, and the Forest Troll Berserker. So I had hoped to give the Bandits a suitable edge in these areas.

I also wanted to capitalize on all things Bandit related, be it ambush tactics, illegal trade deals, even Shadow Demons. i wanted them to be an economic race, but in a completely unconventional sense that utilized characteristics from the melee game in an attempt to shed a new light on what could be possible. Extra income for selling items, small refunds on lost units, as well as incorporating the ingame Bounty system was ultimately what was settled on. As far as Ambush tactics went, I wanted to draw considerable inspiration from the ingame Bandit Creep units, but without simply rehashing what has been done before. Defend and Evasion were both more or less done before, so I decided to put the two abilities together. Everything else more or less fit together nicely. The Heroes were also intended as a tribute to each ingame Bandit creep, named after their most powerful incarnation.

Ultimately, the faction was designed to have a rather Lord Of The Flies feel to it, with the decay of humanity into a more primal, bestial form of survival and almost tribal savagery mixed with unparalleled cunning. It's every man for himself, and while the motives are inherently selfish, that's what has become necessary to survive.
~

Also I would like to thank @Spellbound for hosting this, it was an interesting project to work on for this contest :)

Attachments

• The Bandit Outlaws Manual Final.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 129
  • THW.Wazzz.Bandits.Final.w3x
    8.3 MB · Views: 173
Level 4
How is everyone else's techtree coming along?

I'm mostly finished with my units (just got 2 abilities left for 1 of my casters)
Started working on my heroes today. Finished 1, just got some polish left.
Then i need to connect all the research & make it playable.

Level 35
I'm mostly finished with my units (just got 2 abilities left for 1 of my casters)
Started working on my heroes today. Finished 1, just got some polish left.
Then i need to connect all the research & make it playable.

oh nice, I look forward to seeing what you come up with :)

also, I have decided to upload my contest entry in the map section, for anybody who might be interested:
Techtree Contest #13 - Bandits Faction

title.png

Lore Bar.png

lore.png

Unit Bar.png

Units Prev.png

Building Bar.png

Buildings Prev.png

Hero Bar.png

Hero Prev.png

Credit Bar.png

M O D E L S

- JetFangInferno
- SnaKy
- Gluma
- Hayate
- Callahan
- -Grendel
- Jhonny Janbo
- NexusBlizzard
- Power
- stonneash
- Thrikodius
- DCrimson
- Mythic
- Champara Bros
- Misha
- MasterHaosis
- Retera
- Ujimasa Hojo
- stan0033
- JesusHipster
- Infrisios
- marcus158
- Grey Knight
- sPy

I C O N S

- 67chrome
- BeTaGod-
- exN
- Heinvers
- Mad
- FlaReoN
- Chucky
- Darkfang
- NFWar
- PeeKay
- Palaslayer
- The Panda
- FrIkY
- Golden-Drake
- -Berz-
- Arowanna
- Marcos DAB
- bigapple90
- Kimbo
- lelyanra
- Lelling
- FrIkY
- Jay the Editor
- GooS
- zbc
- D.ee
- Blizzard Entertainment
- JollyD
- Sans
- ~Nightmare
- PrinceYaser
- OgeRfaCes
- kola
- Nudl9
- Mainy

S Y S T E M S

- Bribe
- ZiBitheWand3r3r
- Jesus4Lyf
- Chaosy

S P E L L S

- G00dG4m3

V O I C E S

- Battle Realms ,Crave Entertainment, Liquid Entertainment, 2001, All rights reserved

Attachments

• THW.TC13.xYours Trulyx.XetkinClan.v2.w3x
    10.5 MB · Views: 330
Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
"Sorry about the insufficient presentation"?? You guys are ridiculous. xD All this crazy graphic design stuff...

Back in my day we would have a screenshot with the Faction name in Comic Sans. Possible a wall-o-text to describe it. Maybe, if you were lucky, a badly-photoshopped cut-n-paste of the Blizzard techtree images!

*Trundles off, grumbling something about "higher taxes" and "Offa my lawn"...*

Level 35
i remember when uploads were lucky to include so much as a screenshot saved in the lowest format at the time submitted to tinypic
and then the techtree itself was usually lucky to be completed within the due date anyway so the contest would get an extension and then people would mostly take stabs at each other

"Sorry about the insufficient presentation"?? You guys are ridiculous. xD All this crazy graphic design stuff...

Back in my day we would have a screenshot with the Faction name in Comic Sans. Possible a wall-o-text to describe it. Maybe, if you were lucky, a badly-photoshopped cut-n-paste of the Blizzard techtree images!

*Trundles off, grumbling something about "higher taxes" and "Offa my lawn"...*

Gotta keep everything to today's standards.

oh damn, that sucks
i'm sort of in a position where there's not really anything i'd want to do with a week's extension myself, but i'd also like to see your entry come to completion
what is the usual procedure for these things?

It's not really uncommon that a Techtree Contest gets an expansion. For one, I think Techtree Contest is the most underrated one out of all the other contests. Making a whole new race is not as easy as it looks. It requires a lot of work and it needs you to have some sort of balancing experience so your race is not insanely overpowered or underwhelming as hell. Getting creative to make a race is the hardest part. You have to make everything look new so that it doesn't seem like a reskinned vanilla race. This includes new abilities, distinctive unit roles, and new ways to make your race awesome such as custom building and training system.

I approve of an expansion. People need time to make a fantastic race.

Level 11
I understand the unfair about the extensions, but, per example, you can use that time to update your entry, maybe improving the balance, or implementing the features that you probably have not developed, either due to lack of time, or the complexity of them.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
^Yours is one of the primary arguments against Extensions; the idea that responsible Contestants should plan for disruptions & make the deadline, and that an extension (while giving everyone more time equally) sorta low-key disrespects those who managed to make the deadline in time.

That being said, when it comes to "what's the protocol" or whatever, it's really mostly up to the Host, the Mod, and possibly the Contestants. Generally Extensions are approved (since here on the Hive we trend towards 'Fun' rather than 'Competitive'), and a popular system is the "reverse-byzantine consensus", whereby as long as a critical mass of individuals don't speak up against a suggestion, then a suggestion moves forward*.

This brilliant concept comes to me by way of @Cokemonkey11 , who can probably explain it better. A big part of why I love it is the name (lol)... But also the concept is just so elegant. Instead of dealing with all the foibles of "waiting for positive consensus" for a given decision (which, depending on people's availability or desire, may never come), you simply wait for a lack of negative consensus (i.e. "if less than 1/3rd of the Contestants disagrees by X date, we move forward on Y").

Level 35
That's where I was a little confused, because the one asking for the extension is teamed up with the Host, so I figured it would probably go towards the mod or general consensus.

Personally, I think there definitely needs to be something geared more towards fun, but does that mean it should take away from responsible contestants who successfully manage their time? I think there is a possible solution, however, with the University Rules on extensions.
Basically, if you fall overdue with a submission piece in University, they can offer you an extension with the cost of 10% of your overall grade per day it's overdue. Since 10% off per day would be drastic to say the least, I'm thinking something more along the lines of 2% per day. That way you can take some extra time to complete your submission past the previously set date, but it also provides incentive to design within those guidelines.

Given that Mythic's on my team, it makes no sense for me to provide an extension, not that I think that the Host has that power, anyway. The assigned moderator to this contest is the one that will have to decide. I do wonder, however, does anybody else require an extension? Out of the 8 participants, only 3 appear to have finished. It would make more sense to extend the deadline if more than 1 team requires it.

Level 35
Depends on if they're even active anymore, but I would like to see some of these entries more complete

Even so, there does seem to be a consideration of effective time management for some contestants, but then there's also possibility for unforeseen complications

I think the 2% penalty rate would be an effective and fair means of balancing out those who finish in time and those who need the extra time. Also means that those who already submitted can work more on their submissions if they feel the need, so long as they abide by the same penalty rate. Sort of an incentive to complete it in time without removing the incentive to complete the submissions.

I think the 2% penalty rate would be an effective and fair means of balancing out those who finish in time and those who need the extra time. Also means that those who already submitted can work more on their submissions if they feel the need, so long as they abide by the same penalty rate. Sort of an incentive to complete it in time without removing the incentive to complete the submissions.

That does seem fair. I suppose a deadline expansion would suffice for the contestants that need more time.

Level 35
It was discussed previously? Nice, that sounds promising for implementation. Sort of keeps it fair by not penalizing people for finishing on time, while still giving the option to take a little extra time to finish submission entries.

I think that may be the best solution to lean towards for now, although we will need to await confirmation from our assigned moderator, @Heinvers

Status
Not open for further replies.