1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #13 - Coloured Mana [Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Spellbound, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    FINALLY

MTG

There's no way I have time to join now, unfortunately... But I'm very excited to see this idea finally come to fruition. Maybe I'll post a write-up, a "theoretical" faction, a "faction-on-paper"

Good luck!

2. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am trying with a Cult of the Damned techtree. All the basic units are alive. The pest boilers are essential, they allow you to kill a alive unit and create a Skeleton, based on the killed unit (but stronger) to replace it. For this reason, now I have 4 units, but only 2 can be directly created.
    The servant (Acolyte model) can be sacrificated (it needs a update) to heal 50 HP and 50 Mana points to the nearby units of your own. It doesn't look like egoism, but the Servant don't choose, he just follow orders for his fanatim...
    The dark mage (and the shadow skeleton) have Shadow bolt, created from the black arrow, who adds 75 extra damage (every attack cost 100 mana, keep calm) and create a skeleton if kill the enemie.
    output.jpg
    (Sacrifice, I know it's misspelled. I was distracted.)

3. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That will definitely be interesting to see.

I find myself leaning a little bit towards Green now, with another idea in mind, so I'll see which one wins out for me to play around with. If I have time I might even do both, but doing one will probably be challenging enough.

4. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Haha, you are thinking on black and green? They aren't exactly... friends.
    Do both is a good idea, but only if you think the time is enough, just don't overexpose yourself.

Edit: I need to ask for permission. For my Lich unit, i need a phylactery model. The problem here is that the only one I could find in Hive is cataloged within Substandard. A phylacteria is essential for the special caster, so I need another functional model, or permission to use a substandard model in the techtree.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
  5. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Not black and green together, since we can only choose one anyway :p
    Just two separate techtree ideas, mostly

Aren't substandard models already allowed for use in the techtree? I think they are

6. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  7. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I know, i know. But you sayed "If I have time I might even do both", and that is what I was talking about.

I suppose they aren't, because:
    Edit: @Heinvers Lich Phlyactery here it is.

8. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Resources:
    That General Resource Rules link seems to be broken.

I'm going for the Red theme here. Brainstormed a bit and decided to go for a lizardman themed race.

9. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Feel free to use it.

Fixed! It was broken because of the changes made to the submission rules and the deletion of the old thread.

10. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    I've expanded each colour descriptions with some additional information to round them out a bit more.

11. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I was working on another tech tree in the last contest I believe. It was the paired one so we did not finish due some team related reasons. I do not think we even posted a WIP.

Can I reuse concept and code? it would fit in pretty well with both red and black.
    I know some contests prohibit this, but I did not spot it in the rules this time around.

Of course I would only take the parts that were made by myself.

edit: Did post a few wips apparently. Though mostly code x)

12. Patcharoo

Patcharoo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Might toss my hat in if I get any good ideas.

13. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    First WIP:

Just starting out with the basic worker and town hall, and here's the image (I think it's starting to lean towards a White+Green combo)

upload_2019-8-11_22-7-10.png

The Peon unit (Orduon) will heal any unit it attacks (including enemies) for 100% of its incoming damage. It's attack type is Chaos, but it doesn't really matter anyway. Aside from that, to aid in survival, the Orduon can Phase-shift out of existence.

14. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
  15. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I assume any resources custom made by the participants are allowed? Models, skins, etc.?

16. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @MyPad unfortunately it was specified in the rules that mixing and matching aren't allowed within the rules, but I think yours should be fine to fit into one of the categories and sounds interesting so far, good luck :)

@The_Silent they certainly have been in past, I think it would be the same here

17. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    In the interest of having more participation (and more importantly, more finished work), I'm very tempted to say yes to this. I think a case can be made about re-using old code that's not strictly systems, so yeah, not everything your faction has must be brand-new. I think the only exception here is that if you were to re-use an asset from a previous techtree contest submission (code being the exception, as it's backend stuff), you should probably modify it to some extent so that it's not a 1:1 re-use. Otherwise I think you should be good. I'll think the rules need to be updated to reflect this.

@The_Silent
    Yeah, resources made for the contest are good.

18. Chaosy

Chaosy

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    It is mostly backend stuff.

In fact it is almost exclusively systems.
    If my old notes are up to date I only made 5~ spells.

I have a few hundred lines of object editor generation though x)
    Most likely my submission will be the easiest to transfer to other maps thanks to it, needless to say I am not too eager undo this.

I'll go ahead and tinker a bit. See if I can make it work with the red color.

19. Leods

Leods

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks. I will continue in a few hours. Is have all the techtree now, in my mind, and some of the code.
    Looks great! I think it looks better as green, but it's your choice.

Edit: I was looking to the participants table, and, in my name, says "red colour" Actually, I am doing a black techtree.
    I don't know if it is necessary to change it, but I don't want to lose punctuation due to a confusion of color.

20. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Oh nice, just saw the participants tables and that I'm put down as Black.
    That's just as well, since that's the one I've more or less decided to go with :p