• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

TechTree Contest #11 - Techno-Magic[Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

paired.png
techtree.png

contest.png
number.png
1.png
1.png

soasp-jpg.244969

Techno-Magic
Advanced technology meets magic! Reinterpret One of the Warcraft 2 or W3:TFT factions as though they would exist in a futuristic universe where magic and science exist side by side. Choose between the valid factions (multiple contestants can choose the same faction), you may remove races from your faction but do not add them. Example: Magic-Steel Alliance -> W3 Alliance (Humans, Dwarfs, minus Blood Elves).

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

Contest Rules:
  • No submission may violate any of the Site Rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the Map Submission Rules the creator(s) will be disqualified.
  • Contest is Optionally Paired, you can join solo or with a partner.
    • Finding additional testers is allowed.
    • Only 1 entry per team is allowed.
    • Contestants can only be part of a single team.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any entry does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • The features that may be edited are:
    • Gameplay constants
    • Game interface
    • Object editor
    • Sound editor
    • Trigger editor
  • The map's terrain may not be edited. The current four melee races may not be edited; copy and paste the default units you are about to edit.
  • Marketplaces, Taverns, and item shops may be edited.
  • Participants must download the (to be provided) template map, edit it and then resubmit it as their entry.
Submission Rules:
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • Your final submission must be bug free enough to test and play.
  • Protected map is not allowed, and won't be considered until the unprotected version is released.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • The resulting map may not exceed 8MB in size.
  • The map must be named "THW.TC11.<factioname>", and don't forget to also change the internal name.
Helpful Links: Custom Race System, Design Guide for Fifth Race by MCV, How to create Full-working custom race, Guide to make a Race. (Provided by VeljkoM)

Valid factions are the following:
  • W3: Human Alliance (Humans, Dwarfs, Blood Elves)
  • W3: Orcish Horde (Orcs, Trolls, Taurens)
  • W3: Night Elf Sentinels (Night Elves, Driads, Ancients, Moutain Giants, Flyers [Chimaera/Fairy Dragons/Hyppogrif])
  • W3: Undead Scourge (Undead, Nerubians, Gargoyles, Fallen Humans, Undead Contraptions)
  • W3: Blood Elves (Blood Elves, High Elves)
  • W3: Nagas (Nagas, Murloks, Deep Ocean Creatures, Mur'gul)
  • W3: Forsaken (Undead, Fallen Humans, Undead Contraptions)
  • W3: Burning Legion (Demons, Fel Contraptions, Fel Beasts, Pit Lords, Eredar)
  • W2: Alliance (Humans, Dwarfs, Gnomes, High Elves)
  • W2: Horde (Orcs, Trolls, Ogres, Deathknights, Goblins, Dragons)
  • W2: Legion of the Damn (Undead, Demons, Dragons)

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 25 reputation points and an award icon
  • Remaining entries: 5 reputation points for each submission (for users with final entries who made it to the public poll)
Note: Each team mate receives the full reward.

judges.png

• Kam_Ghostseer
If you are interested in judging, please feel free to contact the moderator.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics, gameplay & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking thematic elements will result in a poor score.15

Gameplay
How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points.30

Balance
Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against others of it's class. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will result in a good score.15

Creativity
How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; extensive re-use of existing elements in vanilla factions & poor originality will result in a poor score.15

-

Total
/75

• 75% of the final score shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25% of the final score shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
entries.png

Faction NameContestant(s)Entry

Retro Alliance
BlackRangerXIIIEntry

Gazlowes Horde
JokeMasterEntry

Space Tauren
ReteraEntry

The Unificators
Spellbound/Astaroth ZionEntry

Dalacorpian Dwarves
xYours TrulyxEntry

Unnamed
ZerGreenOneEntry

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

The contest shall begin on (9/July/2016)(contest approval) and conclude on (18/September/2016), at 11:59 pm. GMT.

Attachments

• (6)JungleFeverTC11.w3x
    197.5 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Level 18
Last edited:
Level 12
I'll start at least today the Basics
I'll go as an Alliance based faction with some Retropunk (Dieselpunk), Steampunk and modern tech, some classics like the Paladin as a Late tech unit not as a hero and some new units

Last edited:
I think not
Since it uses the word "reinterpret". I think they can be an Alternate Timeline one

They need to be based on a race present in Wc3:TFT. This does not include races only found in WoW or races from other genres or science fiction. If it does not exist as a faction in Wc3:TFT it will not qualify.

Level 12
I see
Classic Human, Elf and Dwarven alliance (Warcraft 2 style not Warcraft 3 style because elves don't properly appear on Wc3:TFT because all the elven units that the alliance has in TFT are the Priest, Sorceress and spellbreaker.) it is for me

If I'm not mistaken, what Kam means is you have 4 races to chose from:

Human Alliance
Orcish Horde
Night Elf Sentinels
Undead Scourge
*Blood Elves
*Nagas

The purpose of this theme is to take ONE of the above and re-imagine them as though they exist not in a fantasy world, but in a 'sci-fantasy' world. Some examples of such worlds are: the Warhammer 40K universe, the setting of Final Fantasy 8 or 12.

*Not sure if those qualify.

Level 16
I'll most probably go solo because my team working skills suck alot.
If i'll start working it will be gunpowder mages based on Brian Macleans books, so expect a mix of napoleonic era soldiers and magic.

Edit: Yeap im blind and didnt read the first post so now its going to be orcs, heavy amred iron horde like orcs.

I'm gonna make a race of technologically advanced NElfs that do not care about nature. It was meant for the mirror theme, but fits techno-magic pretty well.
Hmm, I'm curious to see how you can make that happen and still retain their night elf identify. I should post a mockup of my own idea someday so people get a clearer idea of what I mean.

@JokeMaster sounds interesting. Would be cool to see Kiran Tor with guns lol.

And about team work, may I suggest Google doc?

Level 18
If I'm not mistaken, what Kam means is you have 4 races to chose from:
Human Alliance
Orcish Horde
Night Elf Sentinels
Undead Scourge
*Blood Elves
*Nagas

*Not sure if those qualify.
Well, IMO there are more factions in Warcraft III than just the multiplayer ones, for example Blood Elves and Naga are completely playable in campaigns as independent factions so they should qualify.

The purpose of this theme is to take ONE of the above and re-imagine them as though they exist not in a fantasy world, but in a 'sci-fantasy' world. Some examples of such worlds are: the Warhammer 40K universe, the setting of Final Fantasy 8 or 12.
Completely agree. The theme is more than alternate history, is a complete change of universe that keeps the races of Warcraft. IMO we could go with teams like Arcane Alliance where humans, Dalaran mages, and high elves have strong magic-craft powers (intentionally not having Dwarfs or Gnomes in this Alliance).

@Astaroth_Zion: Can you cancel my partnership? I prefer working alone.

Also,I think we could just merge one race with another, something like Spellbound just showed.
Dwarfs are known for their advanced techs,while a few other races are for their superior magic. I'll probably be taking Dwarf with the Burning Legion. Are the human-made golems counted as techs?

Last edited:
Erm, no merging, please. If you want to make a techy Dwarf faction, then by all means, give them all sort of magic-powered machines (kinda like the Asura in Guild Wars 2). Don't make them part of the Burning Legion though, makes no sense.

EDIT: Here's an example of how I 'technify' the Night Elves:
After the AI of C.E.N.A.R.I.U.S. was purged from the Demigod Mainframe, leaving the sacred forests of Kalimdor vulnerable to invasion, the High Engineseer of E.L.U.N.E. decreed the Human and Orc invaders be removed from Kalimdor. To aid them in this purge, the Arch Weaver of the Emerald Dream protocol was re-activate, so that he may in turn re-activate the Code Weavers of Talon and Claw.

As you can see, I spared no cheese in this little write-up, but I hope you get the idea of what I mean by 'making something techo-magic'.

Last edited:
I am the only crazy one?

Fair enough :p

I am not entirely convinced if I want to join though I hate tech based maps.
(note that the posted linked was posted before tech was decided as a theme)
Single? And here I thought that you'd be good with managing at finding a partner.
Pretty interesting theme going on. Best of luck to all.

Level 12
Here's my Technified Alliance:
After the Defeat of the Orcs during the invasion of Lordaeron. The Alliance remained strong even with the elves thinking that If they were on their own, Silvermoon would've been left unscathed (Which is not true) and the Riots of the New Horde. They've began to develop new technologies incluiding: Smokeless powder, more advanced tanks, Archi-Magitech (Magic, Technology and Architecture) Titanic Golems, Mobile towers, Advanced Aircraft and a more streamlined industry that doesn't affect nature as the Elves themselves requested that the Industrialization don't affect Nature.

How did I do?

Erm, no merging, please. If you want to make a techy Dwarf faction, then by all means, give them all sort of magic-powered machines (kinda like the Asura in Guild Wars 2). Don't make them part of the Burning Legion though, makes no sense.

EDIT: Here's an example of how I 'technify' the Night Elves:

As you can see, I spared no cheese in this little write-up, but I hope you get the idea of what I mean by 'making something techo-magic'.

Kah,kah,kah. Point taken. I was actually acting cray-cray to say the Dwarf plus Burning Legion :p
. I think I'll stick with the human golem thing. There are few models where the golems have a piece of gem at their chest,acting as a heart. I could technify (I mean magicfy) that.Probably something like....

The humans made war golems for a purpose in the battlefield. They realized their golems wasn't even a match to a group of ghouls (lol).The Dalaran Corporation had come up with a brilliant plan,to enhance the golems fighting chance. Their leader, Whatshisface, put a piece of his 'magic crystals' to a golem. The subject was tested to fight something an ordinary war golem couldn't win against. The subject golem had won. Whatshisface started to make an army of his enhanced golem and name them the "Dalacorp Golems".

Totally made "Dalacorp" up,which is a word-merge of Dalaran Corporation.

Last edited:
@BlackRangerXIII Seems good to me
@xYours Trulyx an Alliance with a Dalaran Corporation sounds good.

My suggestion would be for you to try to keep the current make-up of the race you're going for. For instance, the Alliance in Wc3 is made up of Humans, Dwarves, High Elves, and Dalaran. So to technify those, you could start by renaming some stuff (Kaz-Modan Cybertech, Silvermoon Codificers, Dalaran Corporation, etc).

I would urge you to avoid making just a reskin, though. Come up with interesting mechanics that retain the essence of the race, but feels fresh.

Level 12
(@Spellbound)Hey! I'm still thinking about the lore
Maybe even replacing High Elves for Blood Elves since The Elven Sunwell was destroyed by the Scourge in the original Lore
Even I think of Saving Sylvanas from her dark fate by making her being on a tour of duty during the Cult of the Damned Crisis

It's not just an alliance, it's THE Alliance, with a capital A. I'm not saying you can't have Golems, but try to have analogue of the existing makeup of the vanilla Alliance. For example, in your techno-magic wc3 universe, the Dwarves can be a race of golems. So instead of having the Dalacorp golems, you can have a race of Golems called the Dwarves that joined the Alliance. That kind of stuff.

I'm not saying your idea is not valid, just saying, y'know, think outside the box :3

NB: I'm not 'valildatin' anything, btw. I'm just trying to clarify the theme's parameters to the best of my understanding.

Level 18
the only technomagic in know is time magic and the only game that link to them is the game that use alien-thingy magic like assassins creed apple of eden and some people from final fantasy series.

Level 16
I understood nothing from the post above.
I think a mix of orcish warlock magic and iron star technology would be nice, wouldn't it?

FIRST WIP:

Presenting, The Mightheart.
Built by Dwarves,brought to live by the Dalaran Corporation,the Mightheart is a force to be reckoned with. This champion are made with steam-powered from the inside,and a soul to control it. The Mightheart is a heavy duty hero,and is able to wipe out units with its flamethrowers. His sledgehammer, makes it a greater fear to the enemies. He uses some of his steam to burn the eyes of pesky ranged units. When at a great level,he can call enemies to him, and later explode, along with most of the others foolish enough to be taunted.

Attachments

• The Mightheart.png
    The Mightheart.png
    873.3 KB · Views: 303
the only technomagic in know is time magic and the only game that link to them is the game that use alien-thingy magic like assassins creed apple of eden and some people from final fantasy series.
The only thing you should take away from 'techno-magic' is that it's a combinations of advanced technology and magic. This can be technology powered by a magical source (prayer, souls, mana, etc) or just something that uses both advanced technology and magic. There is no requirement to follow any prior examples of such to be able to participate. Use your imagination.

Level 12
Well, techno-magic assumes the technological level is more advanced than medieval Europe. Imo anything below Victorian era is pushing it a bit.

I Agree since I'm going into a Retro-Steampunk Alliance
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
News from me:
I'm starting new upgrades and I have one of the heroes done: The General

I just realised something. This is from the OP:
Advanced technology meets magic! Reinterpret one of the any of the Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne factions as though they would exist in a futuristic universe where magic and science exist side by side.

A 'futuristic' universe. I guess Victorian era is a bit too old. It's still possible to have the steampunk flavour in a futuristic setting, just might have to have plasma cannons instead of steam-powered rifles or w/e

Level 12
I just realised something. This is from the OP:

A 'futuristic' universe. I guess Victorian era is a bit too old. It's still possible to have the steampunk flavour in a futuristic setting, just might have to have plasma cannons instead of steam-powered rifles or w/e

I think the tech can be everything from 1760 (First Days of the Industrial Revolution) to a Futuristic age (Your choice)

Level 4
Hmm, two days is not so much of a headstart so damn it, I'll join. Every acolyte has to start somewhere ;) One question though, do they HAVE to be Humans, orcs, undead or nelves? Since I was thinking about Zul'jin with a bionical arm and a freaking laser gun... Seriously though, can I make trolls? >_>

Steampunk is generally in a futuristic setting. That's what makes it steampunk, and not just history.

Steampunk is generally an alternate history perspective using Victorian era society with technology from the 1930's-1940's as if that particular steam and basic computer technology had become widespread in the early 1830's and then incorporated into every facet of life.

Steampunk can work here because your base factions are all medieval cultures that generally lack anything advanced (Dwarves are the exception). Take them forward to a time where wood and stone have been largely replaced by iron and magic space rock.

I hope this is clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.