• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

TechTree Contest #11 - Techno-Magic[Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be join. Here is my idea for now. Will start tomorrow.

Light's Revolt

Lore

Light's Revolt is a future version of the Scarlet Crusade. The alternate future when the Undead Scourge had conquered over 90% of the world. In a desperate attempt to stop this, they now went back in time to change this.

Playstyle

The Light's Revolt will rely on "teleporting in troops in the middle of a fight" via time traveling. Their army is customizable to the liking of a player, to a player who likes quantity over quality with weak but cheap Minutemen and unit summoning Comissars, quality over quantity with strong and devastating Zealots and Crusaders or using spells to turn the tide of the battle with holy Paladins or Inquistators.

Initial Defenses:
-Town Hall have ranged attack
-Buildings have a force field(mana shield).
-Workers can temporary turn into Minutemen.

Weakness:
-Lacks(i didnt say "didnt have",)Melee units
-No Weapon and Armor upgrades.
-Lacks Air defense(aka no air defence building except for the town hall)

And erm. looking for partner

Nice ideas. Although I think no blacksmith upgrades would be a little too unfair.

Also,are we supposedly to create a race,on which they have advanced? Like the Dwarves were usually Steampunk,but then they change to Future Robotic? I dun even know how they survived until that. People might hunt these little guy and poach for their awesome beards.

I will be join. Here is my idea for now. Will start tomorrow.

Light's Revolt

Lore

Light's Revolt is a future version of the Scarlet Crusade. The alternate future when the Undead Scourge had conquered over 90% of the world. In a desperate attempt to stop this, they now went back in time to change this.

Playstyle

The Light's Revolt will rely on "teleporting in troops in the middle of a fight" via time traveling. Their army is customizable to the liking of a player, to a player who likes quantity over quality with weak but cheap Minutemen and unit summoning Comissars, quality over quantity with strong and devastating Zealots and Crusaders or using spells to turn the tide of the battle with holy Paladins or Inquistators.

Initial Defenses:
-Town Hall have ranged attack
-Workers can temporary turn into Minutemen.

Weakness:
-Lacks(i didnt say "didnt have",)Melee units

And erm. looking for partner
Erm...
Valid factions are the following:
  • W3: Human Alliance (Humans, Dwarfs, Blood Elves)
  • W3: Orcish Horde (Orcs, Trolls, Taurens)
  • W3: Night Elf Sentinels (Night Elves, Driads, Ancients, Moutain Giants, Flyers [Chimaera/Fairy Dragons/Hyppogrif])
  • W3: Undead Scourge (Undead, Nerubians, Gargoyles, Fallen Humans, Undead Contraptions)
  • W3: Blood Elves (Blood Elves, High Elves)
  • W3: Nagas (Nagas, Murloks, Deep Ocean Creatures, Mur'gul)
  • W3: Forsaken (Undead, Fallen Humans, Undead Contraptions)
  • W3: Burning Legion (Demons, Fel Contraptions, Fel Beasts, Pit Lords, Eredar)
  • W2: Alliance (Humans, Dwarfs, Gnomes, High Elves)
  • W2: Horde (Orcs, Trolls, Ogres, Deathknights, Goblins, Dragons)
  • W2: Legion of the Damn (Undead, Demons, Dragons)

I'm not against the idea, but you could just as well use refit the lore to the Alliance. Doesn't have to be the Scarlet Crusade (love the idea though).

Level 4
Better lower their HP then...

Just... What? Why?

I can understand that since most of the units are air I guess, but I still suggest some literall ANTI-AIR unit/building.

As Much as this seems interesting, I can see a lot of imbalance going on with this one, try making up for as much as you can but... don't go too overboard.

Level 9
I have started working on it.Man editing models and texutres are taking my time. But except screenshots soon. I have a rough building plan.. and yes i think i will change it to Neo-Stormwind

Frontier, Fort, Bastion(TH)
Pavilion(Food)
Muster Halls(Troop Production)
Altar of Redemption(Heroes)
Embassy(Will explain)
[Elven Sactuary, Dwarven Refugee, Inquistion Outpost]
Constructs(Seige, Air and adv units)
Magic Sactum(Spellcasters)

Embassy is a special building that will allow you to choose one of the three specilizations: Elven Aid, Dwarven Allies or Inquistion Supremus. If Elven Iad is selected the Embassy will be replaced by an Elven Sactuary, Dwarven Allies will make a Dwarven Outpost and Argent Dawn will make a Argent Camp. Each will give unique units.

Elven Sactuary gives Arcane Golems, Wizards, Spell Breakers and Arcane Annihalators. It gives spellcasters more mana and ranged

Dwarven Outpost has an attack of it's own and allows an anti-air tower to be built. It allows Runecasters, Expeditioneers and Brass Beasts.

Argent Camps allows Lightbearers, Paladins and Heaven's Wraths.

Level 18
Last edited:
Level 18
@Astaroth Zion: Can you change from WIP 2 to Unit Render 1?
Also it's Retrotech Alliance
Sure, changes done. Though IMO any ingame image or video is a Wip, while only text posts and ilustrations are Concepts.

Unfortunately, I cant joint this amazing theme contest, so I would like to say good luck to everyone who did :)
Ohhh,, :( . Have you tried to find a teammate to ease the job?

Level 4
Well,first video wip.
I tried my best to make the dwarves magical as possible. :p And the mages technified. There's one mage that isn't on the video that is,the Technomancer.
Hmm interesting, the fact that they can enter vehicles is a nice touch.
Though the Explo-o-Truck seems kinda clunky.
First I thought it's like a Baneling and then it exploded and it just stayed there, kinda weird isn't it?

Level 9
Excellent mages. Nice enginners.. reminds me of a combat engineer.

I am working on the buildings first as for me editing doesnt take long. Resources does.. I haveta ask the permission from the authors the permission to edit so it is time consuming...

First I thought it's like a Baneling and then it exploded and it just stayed there, kinda weird isn't it?

That my friend,is what I call,stupidity. Heh,I didn't remove the "Spell" animation in the Leave Vehicles ability. It actually works fine,but the fact that the explode animation might have confused you abit.

Haven't seen a WIP for the last few days,so I'll showcase my favorite unit so far.
Doesn't work so well with mages,as they will flee when injured (Unless it's on cooldown),leaving the mages vulnerable. Note the difference between Faerie Dragon's Phase Shift and Tinman's Vanish. Phase Shift disappear only when they take damage but Vanish is used when the Tinman detects an enemy is trying to attack it, avoiding damage BEFORE they got hit. This is,of course modified by triggers.

Level 18
Doesn't work so well with mages,as they will flee when injured (Unless it's on cooldown),leaving the mages vulnerable. Note the difference between Faerie Dragon's Phase Shift and Tinman's Vanish. Phase Shift disappear only when they take damage but Vanish is used when the Tinman detects an enemy is trying to attack it, avoiding damage BEFORE they got hit. This is,of course modified by triggers.
Sweet looking unit. Two questions here:
  1. Is the Tinman's Vanish fully triggered, if so could you make it to only avoid "big" income sources of damage, like hero spells or siege units attacks?
  2. I really like the tactical retreat ability, although I thought that the unit would remain damaged when returned to base (maybe gaining a mild regeneration effect). My concern is that if you are being attack and start training Tinmans you will be getting the equivalent the Double of Hit points per unit.

Last edited:
The Tinman's Vanish is half-triggered. I make it so that it could avoid damage instead of receiving them,then avoid. I could make your question happen,if that's a request. The Nuclear Telepathy (or the tactical retreat ability) is incomplete. It was suppose to resume the Tinman's life while it was in battle. I was bringing the thread back to life. I shouldn't add the regeneration effect to the Tinman when they retreat,because you know,they teleported to a random allied Nuclear Reactor,on which Nuclear Reactors regenerates mechs.

Last edited:
Level 4
Not too much progress since my last post, but this is the current state of things. The next thing I was going to do was to record and process some voices. Still don't have a name for my race.

Attachments

• THW.TC11.JustAnotherMechanicalUndeadRace WIP 4.w3x
    4.5 MB · Views: 108
You should consider sending images instead of maps,because they would be prefer as your entry.

Also,I did something that can decide either I'm joining or not. Let this be a lesson to you NOT TO TRUST AVG FKING ANTIVIRUS. AVG told me to restart to update its status,but after then,BOOM! My computer was unstartable. It stuck at loading at the "Starting Windows" logo.I can't get my work computer to work,damnit. My dad is trying his best to patch it up.EUGH,goddamn AVG. You just ruined my day.THIS IS THE SECOND FKING TIME MY ENTRY IS DISTURBED!

Level 18
Hehehe the anti-mechanical missile is so huge....

Interesting idea of specialized bonus attacks. I got a couple questions/suggestions that may help you:
  1. Does the Spellbreaker "Feedback" ability affect your unit? (-20 mana per hit)
    • If it can affect the Pletontank, then one single Spellbreaker will negate all the mana of this unit, locking out its special attack.
    • To avoid this situation I think you could increase the max mana pool of the unit (lets say to 240) and also increase the cost of the special attacks. (lets say to 15 per missile).
    • -
  2. Mana regen seemed too fast, but that could just be for the showcase and lower values will be used in the entry.
    • I guess this is a purely balance issue, and will depend in the sinergy with the rest of the faction. (If one of your heroes/units/buildings has brillance aura for example)
    • -
  3. Pure Question: Could you make that the Pletontank has just 1 kind of missile at a time? (Like its "current loadout")
    • Then load out could be changed at the base (maybe for a small gold and wood cost), so you would need to plan ahead what build you need for each Pletontank. That could help to not have a jack of all trades kind of unit, and add more choise to the player.
BTW good advances so far.

Hehehe the anti-mechanical missile is so huge....

Interesting idea of specialized bonus attacks. I got a couple questions/suggestions that may help you:
  1. Does the Spellbreaker "Feedback" ability affect your unit? (-20 mana per hit)
    • If it can affect the Pletontank, then one single Spellbreaker will negate all the mana of this unit, locking out its special attack.
    • To avoid this situation I think you could increase the max mana pool of the unit (lets say to 240) and also increase the cost of the special attacks. (lets say to 15 per missile).
    • -
  2. Mana regen seemed too fast, but that could just be for the showcase and lower values will be used in the entry.
    • I guess this is a purely balance issue, and will depend in the sinergy with the rest of the faction. (If one of your heroes/units/buildings has brillance aura for example)
    • -
  3. Pure Question: Could you make that the Pletontank has just 1 kind of missile at a time? (Like its "current loadout")
    • Then load out could be changed at the base (maybe for a small gold and wood cost), so you would need to plan ahead what build you need for each Pletontank. That could help to not have a jack of all trades kind of unit, and add more choise to the player.
BTW good advances so far.

1. It does affect the Pletontanks. But the Pletontanks has an upgrade to gain more mana and resistance against Feedback (from -20 to -5). Also,I stated that they don't have mana regeneration but they must return back to base to get their mana back.

2.No.1 already explained it.

3.Well,I supposed I could do that,but I will need suggestions. How about it @Kam ,@Spellbound and @BlackRangerXIII?

Level 12
@xYours Trulyx:
Sorry
Got nothing to suggest.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Public Service Annoucement:
Please everyone, if you're going to add a backpack research.
MAKE SURE THAT IT REQUIRES YOUR CUSTOM SHOP NOT THE VANILLA SHOPS!

Could work, though that does seem like it requires a lot of clicks. You could just as easily use something like Charge Gold and Lumber (which you can change the order ID, btw, so it doesn't conflict with other versions of itself on the same unit) and have that ability become available if the unit in question is within range of a specific 'restocking' building owned by the player. Maybe check for a buff (brilliance aura, maybe) and if they have the buff, they allowed the weapon switch to proceed.

This removes the need for you to constantly build structure who's sole purpose is to switch out Pletontank weapons and streamlines the whole process since you are already charging for gold/lumber with the ability.

so i've spent quite a while designing my race... and still haven't started making it in the editor yet. actual, physical WIP will come soon(ish), but anyhow i'll give a brief racial overview:

Cyber Scourge - techno-magic undead
Mechanics:
  • Several units are mechanical or semi-mechanical (namely, 'Skeletoid' units), and many items/abilities augment or synergize with mechanical units
  • Many abilities revolve around sacrificing units, and some units are designed to be sacrifcial
  • Special builder unit that summons buildings, while a worker unit gathers resources and repairs
  • Certain units and abilities spread 'Cyber Taint', a more niche & offensive version of blight, which causes organic units on it to have negative HP regeneration
  • Carrion Synapses generate food and can also be mobilised. Buildings do not have to be summoned on blight, but do require a nearby Synapse to function. Think of them as a cross between an Ancient of War and Protoss Pylon

Heroes & Units:
  1. Eradicator - agility hero with powerful nuking and life drain capabilities
  2. Cyber Tyrant - intelligence hero that is both tanky and can summon units
  3. Skeletoid Lich - intelligence hero that is great at crowd control and supporting your army
Metalopolis - town hall building, trains both workers and upgrades to tier 2 and 3
  • Servitor - worker unit, gathers resources & repairs
  • Artificer - builder unit, un/summons all buildings
Grim Factory - tier 1 barracks, can summon Servitors using nearby corpses
  • Skeletoid Soldier - mass-able melee unit, has a reincarnation-like ability
  • Cyber Fiend - mechanical ranged unit, has an Aerial Shackles clone ability
Carrion Synapse - food generation building that can mobilise & fly or remain on ground immobile. When grounded, it generates corpses and gives nearby buildings functionality

Hall of Necrollurgy - tier 2 caster building
  • Cryptomancer - support caster, who can spawn minions and bolster your army
  • Spectre - a unique 3 food caster who can go invisible and disable enemy forces
  • Skeletoid Wyrm - spell-immune air unit with a strong anti-mechanical dispel
Carrion Laboratory - tier 2 building that trains units that are more on the organic side
  • Carrion Pest - flying anti-air unit that can be upgraded to deal AoE damage and spawn a corpse upon death
  • Aberration - melee unit with a siege attack that can consume allied units to be more tanky
  • Cyber Lurker - tier 3 melee unit that is able to spawn units like a pocket factory
Stygian Assembly - tier 2 building that trains purely mechanical units
  • Stygian Cannon - long-range siege unit with anti-caster capabilities. Can morph into a Goliath
    • Stygian Goliath - tier 3 melee unit with anti-caster capabilities. Can sacrifice a unit to become more powerful
  • Obsidian Barge - tier 2 flying support unit with healing and detection abilities

Last edited:
Level 9
I have lost all my resources when my laptop got virused! All the work down the drain!!! Is it possible to change your race? I mean i dont want to start all over again. and my backup was also virused along(harddrive got virused,)

I have lost all my resources when my laptop got virused! All the work down the drain!!! Is it possible to change your race? I mean i dont want to start all over again. and my backup was also virused along(harddrive got virused,)
Virus? This reminds me of me. Gotten virus during a contest. What kind of virus and what's the source.

Status
Not open for further replies.