• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #12 - Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
user160036_pic59500_1342547064-png.244360

techtree.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
2.png

full

Evolution

This is all about how you can build a whole techtree starting from one unit and one building. You are only allowed to have one single base unit and one single base building. Everything else your race may have must evolve from these two starter elements. Meaning that you can only build one type of building and only produce one type of unit. However, upgrades and transforming units are allowed.

This race must be balanced with regards to the other 4 Factions of Warcraft 3 and how it impacts the metagame of melee as a whole. Good luck and have fun!

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

Contest Rules:
  • Everybody is allowed and encouraged to enter, as long as they follow the rules.
  • One entry per person or team.
  • No submission may violate any of the Site Rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the Map Submission Rules the creator(s) will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any entry does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible to avoid confusion.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Team entries are optional with a maximum team size or 3 people.
  • Triggers are allowed in any way, shape, or form in the development of your race.
  • Imports are Unlimited for this contest (see below for map-size constraints)
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • No 'dibs' on races. Multiple users may submit using the same race, though different techtrees. (No plagiarism, etc)
  • The features that may be edited are:
    • Gameplay constants
    • Game interface
    • Object editor
    • Trigger editor
    • Sound editor
  • The map's terrain may not be edited.
  • The current four melee races may not be edited; copy and paste the default units you are about to edit.
Submission Rules:
  • Any submission must follow at least 2 Works In Progress (WiP), before it is published and labelled as the final piece, so as to prove it's yours.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • Your final submission must be bug free enough to test and play.
  • Protected map is not allowed, and won't be considered until the unprotected version is released.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • The resulting map may not exceed 128MB in size.
  • The map must be named "THW.TC12.<factioname>", and don't forget to also change the internal name.
  • All submitted entries must use (6)Moonglade.w3x as the test map.
  • Post here if you intend to compete, what race, and if you'll be working solo or as a team.
Helpful Links: Custom Race System, Design Guide for Fifth Race by MCV, How to create Full-working custom race, Guide to make a Race. (Provided by VeljkoM)

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
  • Remaining entries: 5 reputation points for each submission (for users with final entries who made it to the public poll)

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme:How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive Theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking Thematic elements will result in a poor score.10

Role:
How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how well each element performs it's particular function. Comprehensive, well-though-out Roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating Roles will lose points.10

Balance:
Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against others of it's class. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will mean a good score.5

Creativity:
How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; re-use of existing elements & poor originality will result in a poor score.10

Awesomeness:
The most subjective of all grading criteria. This attempts to quantify exactly how awesome a Faction's overall design feels. This is the "subjective elbow room" for people to talk about how "cool" or "nifty" or "rad" the Faction is.5

Total points:

judges.png

If you would like to judge the contest simply make a post in this thread stating so.
You need to be a user who is knowledgeable in the process of designing, creating & implementing custom content; and who is known to judge objectively.
  • Kam
  • GhostThruster (pending)

• 75 % of the winner's score shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner's score shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

The contest shall begin on 30 April 2018 and conclude on 12 August 2018 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: KILLCIDE

The Poll | Results

Attachments

• (6)Moonglade.w3x
    149.4 KB · Views: 337

Participant(s)
Team NameRecruiting?Race Name

Spellbound, Retera
?n/aDreamspawn

Abovegame
?ModellerFlamewalkers

MyPad
n/a?Antiforms

xYours Trulyx
n/a?Wellings

EternalOne
?ModellerShadefrost Nerubians

Riki Martin
n/a?Nightmare Wraiths

Saelendious
???

Lord_Earthfire
??Forgotten Cult

Direfury, KILLCIDE, Chaosy
Team Procrastinators??

Entries:

Participant(s)
WIPsFinal Entry

Spellbound / Retera
1 2Dreamspawn

Abovegame
1 2

MyPad
1 2 3 4Antiforms

xYours Trulyx
1 2 3 4Wellings

EternalOne
1 2 3Shadefrost Nerubians

Riki Martin
1 2

Saelendious

Lord_Earthfire

Team Procrastinators
1 2 3

Last edited by a moderator:
@Spellbound

Suppose one has a main building and a main unit, as defined in the constraints of the contest. Would it be considered a violation to the rules if the sole building which the unit can build can be rebuilt into different structures?

For example, I have a bug and a cesspool. The cesspool can morph into a sewage disposal unit or nuclear waste disposal unit, etc.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Y'know I was totally not gonna do this, and I still probably won't, but one of the main reasons why is because I don't have time for a Full Techtree. However this... Is literally one unit & one building minimum. And there's no required minimum of other units/buildings, meaning I could just whip up a few & call it a day...

Wait a second, what about Heroes?

I'd say revive, yes. For obtaining the heroes in the first place you might get away with training them but I'd recommend finding a different way like morphing the hero from a unit (if possible). As I said: get creative ;)

@Abovegame what kind of skill are you looking for in a teammate?

@everyone, let me know who you're teaming up with (or if you're going solo) so I can make a table to keep track of y'all. I will also need a team name. I also need to know if you're looking for a team member (please specify the skillset you're looking for) and what is the name of the race you're making. This last item can be revealed on submission, but don't forget your 2 WIPs.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Yes, evolution applies to your structures as well. You may only have one contrustructible building type and only one trainable unit type. Everything else you have will have to upgrade/morph/etc from that base building/unit.
Just to clarify "trainable" & "constructible" in this context... "Trainable" I think is simply "can't be under "Units Trained", with a build time & cost & all that at once (which allows for upgrade, morph, summon, and the like)... Is the same true of "Constructible" (i.e. can't be found under "Buildings Built" (not really the name of the field I know) & all that (with the same exemptions/exceptions)?

Just to clarify "trainable" & "constructible" in this context... "Trainable" I think is simply "can't be under "Units Trained", with a build time & cost & all that at once (which allows for upgrade, morph, summon, and the like)... Is the same true of "Constructible" (i.e. can't be found under "Buildings Built" (not really the name of the field I know) & all that (with the same exemptions/exceptions)?
Trainable as in trainable the vanilla way, ie, training a Footman from a Barracks. Constructible as in a unit may create the base building, like a Peon building a Burrow or a Wisp building an Ancient of War. The point of Evolution is to exclude vanilla building/training methods.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I just remembered that my Wc3 is still at patch 1.27 because there is just no way i can download the patch. The website takes a hell lot of time to load. The patch download itself will get stuck at 100% (getting to that number takes me half an hour, ridiculous for a 3.2 mb .exe). My internet is fine and well with a speed of 150mb.

So, can i take part with my outdated Wc3?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Oh yeah, I just remembered that my Wc3 is still at patch 1.27 because there is just no way i can download the patch. The website takes a hell lot of time to load. The patch download itself will get stuck at 100% (getting to that number takes me half an hour, ridiculous for a 3.2 mb .exe). My internet is fine and well with a speed of 150mb.

So, can i take part with my outdated Wc3?
I've got v1.26; it shouldn't matter since the Patch adds new things but can look back fine (at least, no one has had any trouble yet with my 1.26 stuff in previous Contests).

Level 2
Okay... so I might be insane, being that I've never done more than lurk here, and never done more than some brief dabbling in the War3 editor, but this contest really has me interested, being that I have a Roleplay character who would be pretty damn perfect for the concept.

A couple questions: Where do the rules fall on temporary summons, like Water Elemental/Feral Spirits?

Also, where is the line drawn between Unit and Structure? Would it be okay for a structure to uproot like Ancients, or for structures to "evolve" into a unit besides the one they "train"?

Summons are good and don't count toward the unit/building 'limit' (which is generally around 12 units and 12 buildings). As for units evolving into structures and vice-versa, you can have any cross-morphing as you like (including having your own custom method for 'evolving' things into other things). The only rule is you can only build one base structure and only train one base unit. Hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.