1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #12 - Evolution

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Spellbound, Apr 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Like... summoning a town hall?

2. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    No, i meant the town hall which spawns at the start location.

3. Arrr

Arrr

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think I'll try with some demon nobility

4. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Yeah you can start with a town hall even if it's not the base structure.

5. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Spellbound I've decided on the race. I'll call it Flamewalkers ( basically a fire elemental race ).

6. Astaroth Zion

Astaroth Zion

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    I am interested on the contest. Mmm just thinking about doing a MTG Golgari Swarm with a biological enhancement theme (adding pieces to an organic unit), or taking the same concept but going for mechanical units instead of organic ones.

7. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here's an early wip. : )

wip-1.png

8. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    That is indeed early :p

Also are you gonna move the OE data and triggers to the Moonglade.w3x when you're done?

9. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    wait what...
    we're gonna change map again? I've already done so much :eek:

10. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    You were literally told the map was changed from TurtleRock.w3x to Moonglade.w3x. It's also been changed in the OP.
    If you meant whether the map was changed from Moonglad.w3x to something else, then no, it's still Moonglade.w3x.

11. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The final entry will be with the Moonglade map : )

12. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Thank god. Was confused like a chicken.
    Anywho, now's the perfect time to avoid double post. 2nd WIP:

Wellings1.png

TL;DR:
    -green things transform into those floating spires. floating spires transforms into buildings and so on.
    -green things are cheap (10 bucks) and can be bought from that pillar thing (town hall).
    -wells produce blue sphere things that can be released for 60 bitcoins. blue sphere things morph into units.

Need an approval whether or not my concept fit this contest's theme

EDIT: Also, why is my race still unnamed? I already named them the Wellings :confused:

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  13. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here's something more! Creating and respawning heroes, MPI as well. There more stuff to be done here anyways. : ))

[​IMG]

14. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Wow, that's cool.

But we can just do the Hero normally, right?

Also @xYours Trulyx , where'd you get that cool pillar model?

15. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    @xYours Trulyx I must have missed your naming of your race. Also your concept seems sound. I updated the list.

@Abovegame Looking good!

@Kyrbi0 you can, but I'd rather you got creative ;)

16. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
  17. Banelingline

Banelingline

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hmm... While I won't be participating in the contest (I'm mostly an ideas person for this level of stuff, owing to my lack of understanding of the finer points of triggers and model importing), I have some ideas for where to start with the style of techtree. I'll list elements rather than techtree styles, though, as there's actually a decent deal of things to work with, thanks to the surprising variety of unit production methods in WC3.

Ancient t3: Essentially, instead of the conventional t3 style, which would be complicated to arrange for a morphing chain, the t3 units are the structures made directly combat-viable. Effectively, your Mountain Giant stand-in is actually your Ancient of Lore itself, reliant on an upgrade locked behind t3 to become combat-viable directly. This means that, late-game, large parts of the infrastructure are mobile and capable of fighting off attacks, or being used as a "last push" to secure the win, possibly from a disadvantaged position.

Zombie Upgrade: You know the campaign ability of Mal'ganis to turn peasants into zombies? That's actually an ability still in the editor (Dark Conversion, listed under Neutral Hostile Hero abilities), one able to turn a category of units into a specific other unit. Quickly looking into the editor, it specifies a race to convert rather than tags. This means that, if you want to lock it to only the base unit, you have to make it so that the only unit of the race that is a permitted target is the base unit. If you want any unit of the race to be a target, though, you need no special targeting restrictions or enablers.

Mount-Production: The Hyppogryph Rider's production method can be an important element in a single starting point techtree, allowing you to instantly (after a potential cooldown) make one particular unit that can optionally turn back into the original unit (Dismount is optional to include on the new unit), or you could choose to have it able to separate into entirely different units from the two that merged to make it, with a cooldown before it can be done if desired. Mount/Pick Up Archer, itself, needs to be on both units to function.

Morph Shift: Metamorphosis is present as an ability that changes to a separately-coded unit. This means that it interacts with other methods by changing the base unit, and it also means the alternate form can exist through multiple production methods. However, the unit specified as "alternate form", if it has the ability, uses the time limit before it changes to the "normal form". And not having the ability on the alternate form causes a death to register, but the unit weirdly doesn't actually die. The animation plays, but the unit just gets up when you command it. An unfavorable bug, though.

Pheonix "Birth": Similarly to Morph Shift, there's some bugginess to the Pheonix's on-death morph and the alternate form unit is always on the time limit when it has the ability. I've made a thread on this ability's potential uses, and some productive examples of what occurs with various layouts. I even got it properly working with Heroes! And the previous screwup offers alternating forms for regular units. This can be used to make a unit that will automatically become another unit after some time, with a reversion to the initial form after death. Usable for something like Lava Spawn merging into a Pheonix Egg that then has to wait to "hatch", then goes on as a normal egg-on-death pheonix.

Hero Sub-Techtrees: As we have received permission to be able to use the standard Hero production method, we could roll it into access points for transformation mechanics, such as having a Dark Conversion ability that changes what comes out with the ability level, replacing conventional upgrade processes or naturally phasing out overlapping roles without the odd behavior seen in the Berzerker upgrade for Troll Headhunters. Any ability-based production can be used here, even the Destroyer Form as a permanent Hero change Ultimate.

Carrion Summoning: The Crypt Lord's Carrion Beetle ability makes permanent units that have a limit to how many can exist from one caster at a time. This is important, because it offers a nonstandard production method with it's own limit of numbers, independent of the food supply. This means that you have units that are directly tied to the numbers of another unit, allowing you to limit how many are present at once without interacting with the food supply. This can be used with other methods that cause retention of low-tier unit production to be problematic, offering cheap frontliners potentially vital to the techtree's function late-game from supply being choked out by situational units.

18. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Interesting, though I usually end up bailing. Will see if I can wrap a WIP.

19. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Woah, these are quite the handfuls. I'm gonna go with Artiforms, a sentient yet artificial hive-mind race born from the Human race, that gameplay-wise will require a lot of micromanaging.

I hope to post my WIP by May 10

20. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Since no one posted an update since Tuesday, I'll just mingle up something to keep the thread running. I've done 2 heroes and their abilities is all done. Presenting you, the Madlord and the Aquachanter.

still big asf

Madlord___Aquachanter.png

Madlord's Abilities:
    Abilities

Deranged Fling:
    Flings an enemy unit behind the Madlord, dealing damage. If the target is in Tidal Prison, the root will burst, dealing bonus damage.
    guy got flips

guy got flips.png

Tidal Prison:
    Roots an enemy for a duration and spawns 3 tentacles around it that rapidly attacks it. Tentacles lasts the same duration.
    anime girls' dreams

anime girls' dreams.png

Crazed Presence:
    Decreases nearby enemy units' base armor.
    ayy decayed armor

why the fuckk would you need an image for this.

Insanity:
    Gains 35% atk speed and 50% move speed. Madlord's attacks will always critically strike its targets during the duration (15 seconds)

dem crits nerf pls

why....

Aquachanter's abilities:
    Abilities

Hidration Splash:
    Deals damage to the target enemy and slows it and nearby enemies.
    slows are OP in LoL you know...

think Lich's Frost Nova.

Shimmering Bubble:
    Hurls a giant bubble to an area, dealing damage and stunning for a period.
    im just blowing bubbles

im just blowing bubbles.png

Faithful Sacrifice:
    Kills a unit for mana, scaling with the target's health. Also grants bonus movement speed for a while
    not ez being green

not ez being green.png

Supreme Currents:
    chain lightning ayy lmao
    just chain lightning

a glorified chain lightning that is.

EDIT: hide the big posts in /hidden bb codes coz its too damn bigg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.