1. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Shoot to thrill, play to kill. Sate your hunger with the 33rd Modeling Contest!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #15 - Co-op Commanders [Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Wazzz, May 29, 2020.

1. Xelos

Xelos

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    think I will attend new contest, but first I have to find new idea and resource for raw materials for it.

2. Lordul Dracula

Lordul Dracula

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    6 years have passed from my last team

Attached Files:

3. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here's some W.I.P screenies for my Kel'Thuzad commander. Inspired by the Naxxramas raid and some WC3 pre-alpha concepts.

Kel'Thuzad will be the only hero the player can have. To balance that out with the melee races, he will have the ability to select which abilities he will learn as the game progresses. His Necromancers are responsible for raising Skeletons, which are permanent and do not have a training time, but they will cost resources and can be dispelled by spellcasters. T1 will mostly consist of Kel'Thuzad and his entourage of Necromancers and skeletons. However, as he reaches T2, he will be able to construct structures that train units but allow Kel'Thuzad to summon demi-heroes such as Patchwerk the Abomination, Anub'Rekhan the Crypt Lord, or Noth the Plaguebringer. Only one Demi-hero can be active at a time.

I'm still thinking about what T3 will include.

Attached Files:

4. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Just thought I'd add another WiP for one of the casters, I might do more of these depending upon how much time I think they'll take but this is just a wee teaser.
    Unit Preview
    The Arcanist
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The Primary caster of the Kirin Tor Offensive, this versatile caster is both mobile and effective at turning the tide of battle.

I designed this unit with the idea of versatility and synergy in mind as such his spells will be useful when combined with other units and their abilities.

Summon Water Elemental - Summons a 300 Hit Point Water Elemental that deals 15 - 20 damage, an Arcanist can only maintain one elemental at a time. The Elemental can be sacrificed by a nearby Spellblade to heal surrounding units.

Mage Armour - Increases the armour of the target unit by 10.

Teleport - Teleports the Arcanist and 3 other units to a friendly unit or building. This ability may be subject to balancing.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I just wrote unit and building tooltips on my notepad, fleshed out skills and ideas, resources are now compiled but needs 'order' and 'organizing' them for easy map import. Now, gathering some icons for spells and upg's.

Here's King Mrgl-Mrgl faction, just aligned himself with the naga.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since, I'm working two factions but one is this, for contest entry, and one for mod I'm working, so it will be divided time but I want to believe that I will make it through to deadline. I'm on concept phase and some import phase. :)

Edit: Might shelf and cut some models to use because I think some of them are... too cartoony just like the tree turtle.

6. Bangsgaard

Bangsgaard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This is amazing! I am currently working on a co-op commander project and wouldn't mind some inspiration. If anyone find commander making interesting like me, feel free to message me and join my map-making team.
    Questions for the contest: (Havn't tried one of these yet)
    Can you have several entires? Can you pick a commander that has already been picked by someone else? Is it classic or reforged?
    Again kudos to the admins making this - We need co-op commanders in Warcraft 3 soon!

7. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    While there isn't anything stopping you from making more than one Techtree, only one would count as the entry and would be judged accordingly. You can pick a commander that has already been chosen, and it can be classic or reforged - it's up to the contestant's discretion which one they choose to do.

I'm not entirely sure... what is going on here, so I feel it might be important to mention that this is a contest thread, not a project recruitment thread.

8. Lordul Dracula

Lordul Dracula

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    ok my bad sry

9. AMarkov

AMarkov

Resources:
    Resources:
    I pick Uther the Lightbringer
    Uther.png

10. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    You can definitely do a lot with Uther and his knights. As a fan of Uther, I can't wait to see what you'll come up with!

11. Bangsgaard

Bangsgaard

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Alright, I am in. I will pick Arthas
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  12. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Just thought I'd give another WiP to show the expanded unit roster.

A few notable additions are Kalec (Kalecgos) a support hero designed to heal and counter offensive spells.
    The noble Silver Covenant Hippogryph, whilst these Hippogryph cannot be ridden they have upgrades to enhance their anti-air capabilities.
    In the back we can see the Siege Elemental, serving a similar role to the Siege Engine this Elemental has to be constantly maintained by the Summoner, who if he is killed will disperse the Elemental.
    The mana Crystal on the right is similar to the Kodo Beast/Obsidian Statue offering Brilliance Aura but little in the way of offensive Capabilities.

The Soul Spread ability, which sacrifices a summoned unit to heal nearby units has been moved to the Summoner. Instead the Spellblade has Magic Defence, the defend ability that grants magic immunity, True Sight and Purifying chains that dispels magic as it bounces from unit to unit.

Whether I'll add a Blue Dragon unit I'm still debating, I do have a building slot free so its possible.

KirinTor.png

13. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm afraid I don't have much to show. I spent way too much time fixing a broken system.

Here's the faction's primary melee unit, Brawler. He has an upgrade called Venerable Vintage:
    booze.png

Here's how it looks like

BrawlerDrink.gif

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  14. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Ooh looks like a cool mechanic.

15. Directive255

Directive255

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks interesting

Neato, sounds great and fun. Feels like a faction of professional summoners. I like this

16. johnwar

johnwar

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Showing the Abilities of Lady Liadrin i will add the other heroes ability later.
    Abilities - Lady Liadrin
    • BTNRuneOfLife.JPG Light's Judgement
      Lady Liadrin calls upon the light to change her holy abilities. Holy Light and Divine Punishment.
      BTN_CR_Holylight.JPG BTNSpell_Holy_SurgeOfLight.JPG
      Holy Light
      Calls upon the light to heal nearby friendly units. Level 1 - Heals for 200 hit points. Level 2 - Heals for 250 hit points. Level 3 - Heals for 300 hit points.
      Divine Punishment
      Calls down wave of holy light that damage units in an area. Each wave deals initial damage. Level 1 - 100 wave damage, 5 damage per second. Level 2 - 150 wave damage, 10 damage per second. Level 3 - 200 wave damage, 15 damage per second.
    • BTNAngelicShield.JPG Divine Protection
      BTNLi.JPG
      Calls upon the light to give nearby friendly units bonus armor. Level 1 - 4 bonus armor.Lasts 25 seconds. Level 2 - 7 bonus armor. Lasts 35 seconds. Level 3 - 10 bonus armor. Lasts 45 seconds.
    • BTNRunicAura.JPG Weakness Aura
      BTNLi.JPG
      Decreases the movement speed and attack rate of nearby enemy units. Level 1 - 10% movement, 5% attack. Level 2 - 20% movement, 10% attack. Level 3 - 30% movement, 15% attack.
    • BTNSpell_Holy_SealOfSacrifice.JPG Blood Vanguard
      BTNLi.JPG Lady Liadrin calls her blood knights to fight with her. Lasts 70 seconds. Blood Knights have 900 hit points, 36 to 39 damage.

17. Moonman

Moonman

Resources:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sigh, having a bit of a creativity crisis over here.

I am simply unsure how ¨unique¨ I have to go with the spells.
    On one hand many of vanilla abilities fit quite well, on the other I don't want my entry to be as simple in that department as the last one.
    Let's just take good old Blizzard, if I add slow and random freeze (stun or 100% slow) to it, is it still just a reuse of old ability?

EDIT:
    Well that's what I have been doing so far, but seeing all those awesome page long triggers makes my abilities kind of ¨meh¨ in comparison (on an effort scale at least).

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  18. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    I mean using negative values on abilities opens up a whole new realm of possibilities if you haven't considered that.

Also look at the standard Blizzard races, dispel magic and disenchant are essentially the same spell re-skinned to fulfill a role.

EDIT: Quick question, once our entry is done, if we upload it to the map section before the deadline can we then use the feedback from that upload to update the map as long as its before the deadline?

19. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If you add things to previously existing spells, I think it counts as something new.
    I think if you use a lot of ingame spells without changing names or icons or anything like that, it could be an issue. However, I am also of the school of thought that clever use of ingame spells (particularly where they fit to create a new idea as a whole) is a viable option. Granted, contests sort of up the ante there, especially when it comes to the Creativity aspect.

One piece of general advice I can give is something I often do - it is definitely worth exploring the other data fields of various spells to see if there's anything that's either unused or can be implemented differently. It's also worth using a lot of Object Editor tools to produce a vastly different result on something that existed previously. Furthermore, if you are able to have abilities be applied when you have a specific buff applied to a unit, that opens up countless doors.

Now, that being said, I have an announcement for my own Unofficial Entry. It seems that even with my attempts to save this in an older version, the issue of me using a World Editor that is running on the latest update has become apparent - the model and possibly texture files are of a slightly different format ingame that are not backwards compatible. This is an issue I was discussing with @Retera where trying to run older versions of his model editor seemed to run into an issue with reading models from RF, even if they were just the SD ones. It's because the format for the models themselves are just that liiiittle bit different, so it screws the whole thing over. This is also likely to be the reason we had so much difficulty uploading a template map that everybody could use.

That being said, for those who can still run it, I would like to upload a demo commander, Snarlmane. Snarlmane is a Gnoll Overseer and he leads an army that can best be described as a piece of crap. However, it is through strong leadership that they are able to, for a short while, overcome their own innate truancy and self sabotaging to unite against the smooth-skin scum.

The features include:
    - Integrated abilities for Snarlmane heroes
    - Integration of mechanics to provide incentive for using purely Gnoll heroes without intruding upon the gameplay functionality of other factions
    - A basic demonstration of key unit elements designed for their roles with little to no custom elements for abilities

To play as Snarlmane, select Orcs at 90%.

In answer to the question of using feedback, you are allowed to use it if the map is uploaded early. That being said, I wouldn't expect a great deal of feedback, but anything you can use in that respect to further your entry is allowed.

Attached Files:

20. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Reforged HD Models:
    Resources:
    Ah thanks for clarifying, it makes sense not to penalise people that finish their entry early to not be able to use the feedback they get to tweak/fix any bugs imbalances found by other members of the community.

I'll take a look at your Snarlmane map, I'm assuming its classic graphics :)