• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #15 - Co-op Commanders [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
LogoAntonidas.png

Antonidas is a master wizard of the Kirin Tor. When he goes into battle, he brings with him a potent magical
arsenal, one of which is the Anchor Spires. These summoning towers will bring forth deadly constructs and
elementals, powerful mages, and a mystical menagerie, among other things, and bind them to it. Should the
Spire fall, their charge will be killed, but while connected, they cannot truly die.

Level 7
View attachment 358276

Antonidas is a master wizard of the Kirin Tor. When he goes into battle, he brings with him a potent magical
arsenal, one of which is the Anchor Spires. These summoning towers will bring forth deadly constructs and
elementals, powerful mages, and a mystical menagerie, among other things, and bind them to it. Should the
Spire fall, their charge will be killed, but while connected, they cannot truly die.

Very cool stuff. What will the rest of his army be based on?

Level 8
Apologies for not posting any updates on my entry for some time now...
Now this is not a WIP but just some stuff... you know.

Since I realised ships should be rather complimentary, and not a core part of the tech-tree, Kul Tirans will use strong Artillery instead.
Now that doesn't mean this map won't have ships, but Artillery should be a replacement on land maps, in regard of balance.

The idea is to have a simple ass Cannon with some upgrades, as well as a T3 Bombard (not yet modelled).
It will be much more powerful than any classic siege weapon. Not simply in OP damage, but rather the use of special artillery shells, against single target / AoE or buildings of course.

I plan the Kul Tirans to be generally sturdier than Easter Kingdom Humans, so their stats and food cost should be higher (thicc-boys like to eat a lot, if you played WoW).
There will be a light user support caster, as well as a sea magic Tide Sage attack caster. And perhaps a very special Kirin Tor T3 caster, still loyal to Jaina.

Of course as always you can expect models and skins for the entry... so yep, I'm still in the race!

View attachment 357849

The buildings, Peasant and Footman are amazing. I can't wait.

I especially love that Footman, fits the WoW look perfectly. Are you planning to do a Knight as well?

Level 27
DOWNLOAD THE MAP FROM HERE: Duststorm - Grom Hellscream

Grom.png

Grommash "Grom" Hellscream was the legendary chieftain of the Warsong clan. He was the first orc who drank the blood of Mannoroth the Destructor, thus binding the Horde to the Burning Legion — and he would eventually pay the ultimate price to free himself and his people from the curse.

Grom Hellscream moves with a warrior’s grace and his reflexes are fast and abrupt. He is devastating in melee, and lays waste to the battlefield with his mighty axe Gorehowl, slaying foes with deadly whirlwinds and powerful strikes.

Grom's abilities
IconAbilityDescription
PASHellscreamBerserk.png
Juggernaut[Innate ability] - When Grom receives or deals damage, it has a 18% chance of get 1 Juggernaut's charge. Each charge increases damage by +1, critical chance by 3% and critical damage by 10%. When Grom casts any of his abilities, all charges collected will be expended to improve the ability used. A maximum of 15 charges can be reached. Each charge lasts 20 seconds or until Grom casts an ability.
BTNWarrior_talent_icon_ravager.png
Deadly SpinGrom swings his mighty axe in circle to deal damage to 4 nearby enemies.
  • Level 1: 40 base damage.
  • Level 2: 70 base damage.
  • Level 3: 100 base damage.
[Juggernaut] - Each charge increases base damage by +5, critical chance by 3% and critical damage by 10%. Critical damage is individual for each target. At 10 charges or more, Grom will spin twice, causing half of the base damage. This second spin will not benefit from Juggernaut's charges.
BTNWarrior_talent_icon_furyintheblood.png
Intimidating ShoutShouts with great ferocity, stunning nearby enemies for 2 seconds. Grom's attacks inflict additional pure damage to the targets.
  • Level 1: 10 additional pure damage on attacks.
  • Level 2: 16 additional pure damage on attacks.
  • Level 3: 22 additional pure damage on attacks.
[Juggernaut] - Applies Confusion to affected enemies, slowing their movement speed by 30% and causing them to have a 25% chance to miss on attacks when the stun ends. Confusion lasts 0.3 seconds for each charge. At 10 charges or more, Grom improves his shout, stunning for 3 seconds in a larger area.
PASInv_axe_60.png
Howling AxeGorehowl, the axe of Grom Hellscream, has sown terror across hundreds of battlefields. Each attack gives a chance of cause Confusion on target. Confused enemies have their movement speed slowed by 30% and have a 25% chance to miss on attacks. Confusion lasts 7 seconds.
  • Level 1: 6% chance of cause Confusion.
  • Level 2: 12% chance of cause Confusion.
  • Level 3: 18% chance of cause Confusion.
[Juggernaut] - Each charge gives a 0.4% chance of instantly kill the target. At 10 charges or more, Grom will not lose his current Juggernaut's charges when insta-killing an enemy. Cannot kill Heroes, buildings or units above level 7.
PASWarrior_talent_icon_innerrage.png
WarmongerGrom's presence increases the attack damage of nearby friendly units by 20%. Increases duration for all new gained Juggernaut's charges to 30 seconds. Deadly Spin and Intimidating Shout now have a 15% chance to not reduce Juggernaut's charges.
Features.png

Fierce units

War-oriented infraestructure

Chaos Orcs

Available AI

One of the strongest and most violent clans, the Warsong's gameplay is based on brute force and high mobility as well.

BTNOrcWarcry.png
BattlefuryThe Warsong earned their name from their fearsome battle cries and hymns. To represent this, the Battlefury ability, shared by all the Warsong combat units, enhances their offensive capabilities in battle, increasing their power when they fight side by side.
BTNgreenleafes.png
SkirmishersThe lack of aerial units is not a disadvantage for this faction. Javelineers can be upgraded so that they can eliminate flying enemies with less effort.
BTNINV_Misc_Gear_05.png
Specialized siege weaponryWarsong's siege weapons require to be operated by Pathfinders so they can attack. In exchange, with more operators, they can attack much faster than other siege units.
Due to their gameplay style, they are adapted to fast deployments. Their military buildings are also the food production buildings.

BTNbloodlusted.png
Unique tier systemTheir tier system resembles the original but with some differences. Instead of upgrading their main building, they must research 2 levels of "Mobilization" at the War Halls. Each Mobilization also increases the hit points for War Halls.
BTNStormreaverGrunt.png
PathfindersSecondary workers and good early explorers and defenders. Their labor is required for construction and repair. As game progresses, they will be in charge of operating the siege weapons.
BTNRiderlessKodo.png
Supply KodoMobile resource depot, but slow and vulnerable. Its use is optional, but has a notable strategical importance.
At tier 3, they can research the special upgrade "Mannoroth's Blood" at the Black Shrine.

BTNSpell_deathknight_bloodboil.png
Mannoroth's BloodBy drinking the Blood of Mannoroth, the Warsong Clan binds their will to the Burning Legion in exchange for enhanced demonic powers. Transforms Warsong Orcs into Chaos Orcs. Spiritual Guides and Elder Sages will be transformed into Bloody Tricksters and Demonists.
BTNAbility_garrosh_hellscreams_warsong.png
Chaos OrcsChaos Orcs have increased damage, attack speed and hit points than their normal counterparts. They can be upgraded further with other specialized upgrades at the Black Shrine.
BTNSpell_shadow_destructivesoul.png
Chaos SpellcastersBloody Tricksters and Demonists have enhanced versions of their original shamanistic abilities.
I have included AI for this faction. Although is not as good as the Blizzard ones, they can be hard to defeat.

Units.png

Tier 1
BTNpeon.png
GathererBasic worker unit. Can harvest gold and lumber.
BTNStormreaverGrunt.png
PathfinderSecondary worker unit and early explorer and defender. Can build structures and Repair. Can also go inside Warsong Siege Machines to give they an attack. Has the Battlefury ability.
BTNRiderlessKodo.png
Supply KodoCargo beast. Serves as a mobile drop-off point for harvested resources but is slow and vulnerable.
BTNWarsongGrunt.png
MarauderHardened Orc warrior. Has the Battlefury ability. Can learn War Trance.
BTNSpearmanWC1.png
JavelineerSpear-thrower orc combatant, very effective against air units. Has the Battlefury ability. Can learn the Skirmish Tactics.
Tier 2
BTNOrcMage.PNG
Spiritual GuidePrimary spellcaster. Can initially cast Nature's Seal, which heals an allied unit. Can also learn Rock Shield and Inner Beast.
BTNOrcWarlockRed.png
Elder SageDisruptive spellcaster. Can initially cast Cleansing Ward, which summons a ward that can dispel buffs. Can also learn Natural Order and Spirit Mark.
BTNCatapultWC1.png
MangonelLong-range siege weaponry. Effective against buildings but slow and vulnerable. It must be operated by Pathfinders to attack.
Tier 3
BTNThunderlordRaider.png
InvaderHighly mobile melee rider. Has the Battlefury ability. Can learn the Enraged Wolves ability.
BTNRam.png
RamSlow and lumbering siege weapon, used to reduce enemy buildings to ruins. It must be operated by Pathfinders to attack.
Chaos Spellcasters
BTNChaosWarlock.png
Bloody TricksterPrimary spellcaster. Can initially cast Blood Mantle, which heals an allied unit. Can also learn Stygian Cuirass and Bloodrage, and the Shadow Mastery and Empowered Corruption upgrades.
BTNBoneCollector.png
DemonistDisruptive spellcaster. Can initially cast Spellhunter Ward, which summons a ward that can dispel buffs. Can also learn Jinx and Soul Affliction, and the Shadow Mastery and Empowered Corruption upgrades.
Tips.png

• A good start for this faction is building first an Encampment while training a second Pathfinder at the War Halls who will then build the Altar.
  • Supply Kodos can be used to easily gather resources that are at larger distances rather than waiting until a Main Hall is built in the location.
  • There are some good sinergies with different abilities, while others are highly useful on their own.
  • Reaching the tier 3 can be essential to unlock the full potential of this race.

Changelog.png

On the map

Credits.png

-MODELS-
Ujimasa Hojo
Kam
Retera
loktar
Red XIII
Tamplier777
Infrisios
Em!
Champara Bros
JesusHipster
stan0033
xYours Trulyx
Haistrah
Mythic
The_Spellweaver
Antinous
cotd333
paulH
Tauer
HerrDave
Mister_Haudrauf
frostwolf
Sellenisko
Hayate
alfredx_sotn

-SKINS-
Darkfang

-ICONS-
Jacky The turtle
Hellx-Magnus
BLazeKraze
Darkfang
Chen
-Berz-
Kimbo
PeeKay
GhostThruster
Ceterai
Sin'dorei300
Murlocologist
Leopard
Hayate
loktar

-SOUNDS-
Blizzard

Last edited:
Hey guys so I've had a couple of updates for my entry adding a couple of new units and changing up some of the abilities, so I hope some of you will give it a play and give some feedback.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think!

THW.TTC15 Kirin Tor Offensive

Are you planning on uploading those Pandaren buildings and units onto this site?

They're not entirely mine. It was edited from existing models, so I feel reluctant to uploading them.

Hey guys so I've had a couple of updates for my entry adding a couple of new units and changing up some of the abilities, so I hope some of you will give it a play and give some feedback.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think!

THW.TTC15 Kirin Tor Offensive

Unfortunately, I cannot open Reforged maps :(

Not sure if I'll have the time to actually get into this, but I'm going to try! Currently throwing around ideas for an Archimonde/Burning Legion faction. Main concept is having Archimonde be a disembodied "hero" with some battlefield spells for the majority of the game, but letting him get summoned physically after that version of him reaches level 10.

MrRious

M

MrRious

I think I'll withdraw too, due to the lack of suitable models (especially for buildings), lack of time and people to test and balance the techtree, the fact it will surely get lost among other entries and of course my awful procrastination.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Your other reasons are valid, but the whole "not enough custom models" thing...

Call me crazy, but I really don't feel like people should feel like they can't compete if they don't have enough custom models. That was, like, one of the big things I wanted to keep Contests like this from devolving into and hey, look at that. :<

starwars.jpg

MrRious

M

MrRious

Your other reasons are valid, but the whole "not enough custom models" thing...

Call me crazy, but I really don't feel like people should feel like they can't compete if they don't have enough custom models. That was, like, one of the big things I wanted to keep Contests like this from devolving into and hey, look at that. :<

starwars.jpg
There are a lot of great models around here, but due to the nature of my techtree I needed some really specific ones.

I even started writing a block of text explaining what I mean, but nobody really needs to read it.

To sum it up, for more "creative" units (such as the self-banishing worker whom you would sacrifice on the battlefield or the exploding sheep your Heroes could turn him into) I would use my unfinished or original models, while the more common ones, such as the spellcasters would use models from the Hive.

The problem is, it required a lot of work, which I wasn't capable of. I'm less than a mediocare modeler. Maybe I got a bit too ambitious, though I already prepared a lot of spells and mechanics for my Techtree by manipulating the Editor in really, really creative ways.

(One handy thing I discovered, is that you can create a "Unit dies another one replaces it" ability without the triggers + with keeping the unit in the selected units and the shortcut groups by using the fenix egg passive ability, setting the timer to 0)

But yeah, we also surely lack buildings.

There are a lot of great models around here, but due to the nature of my techtree I needed some really specific ones.

I even started writing a block of text explaining what I mean, but nobody really needs to read it.

To sum it up, for more "creative" units (such as the self-banishing worker whom you would sacrifice on the battlefield or the exploding sheep your Heroes could turn him into) I would use my unfinished or original models, while the more common ones, such as the spellcasters would use models from the Hive.

The problem is, it required a lot of work, which I wasn't capable of. I'm less than a mediocare modeler. Maybe I got a bit too ambitious, though I already prepared a lot of spells and mechanics for my Techtree by manipulating the Editor in really, really creative ways.

(One handy thing I discovered, is that you can create a "Unit dies another one replaces it" ability without the triggers + with keeping the unit in the selected units and the shortcut groups by using the fenix egg passive ability, setting the timer to 0)

This is the main reason I picked up modelling. There wouldn't be any suitable model for Alementals, Floating Kegs, Tappers, Kegbearers and pretty much the entire building roster, had I not know how to model.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
This is the main reason I picked up modelling. There wouldn't be any suitable model for Alementals, Floating Kegs, Tappers, Kegbearers and pretty much the entire building roster, had I not know how to model.
And believe me, I'm glad you were able to for a number of reasons. (not the least of which is selfish "helps flesh out my Pandaren faction" reasons ;P)

But I guess I fundamentally believe that a Techtree Contest should primarily/only be about "designing & implementing a Techtree" (not about modeling or anything else), and that this 'arms race' of more & better custom stuff is really detrimental to the Contest as a whole. :<

Level 13

Sorry to butt in but, in my opinion, you're right in saying you're being too ambitious there, the goal is having a working custom race with (preferrably) all unit abilities and heroes made from scratch, add modeling in there and two months isn't going to cut it unless you co-op with somebody.

That said modeling isn't the right reason to not do it, you have tons of assets just from the base game alone, be creative, you might even use some weird semi-known in game model in an head attachment slot of a unit with lights, color changes and special effects attached to it if you need to make something up for these units. If you want to do it models isn't a good reason in my book.

Hear me out, contests like this are about how well the techtree is fleshed out, how it's coherent with itself, working and, more importantly, creative, a fresh new take on techtrees with new mechanics that work well. Graphics without it doesn't do jack in these contests. Graphics with all this could still easily lose to a better work overall with lots of ingame resources. Like... Feminist Warriors vs Magical Entities *cough* for instance.

Last edited:
Level 13
Sorry for inactivity. I've been sick for a few weeks so I couldn't manage to finish everything in time, but Kel'Thuzad is close to a finished state.

Screenshot_1.png

Well, on the bright side; here's Kel'Thuzad's complete techtree! A lot of new units have been added. I just have to find the names of the authors whose resources I used so I can credit them properly before I upload the map in a few days. Although I'm rather disappointed in myself that I had to cut a lot of the other things I planned for Kel'Thuzad due to the deadline and my sickness... (*cough* and my unhealthy addiction to Starcraft 2's ladder *cough*)

Level 35
Sorry for inactivity. I've been sick for a few weeks so I couldn't manage to finish everything in time, but Kel'Thuzad is close to a finished state.

View attachment 359820

Well, on the bright side; here's Kel'Thuzad's complete techtree! A lot of new units have been added. I just have to find the names of the authors whose resources I used so I can credit them properly before I upload the map in a few days. Although I'm rather disappointed in myself that I had to cut a lot of the other things I planned for Kel'Thuzad due to the deadline and my sickness... (*cough* and my unhealthy addiction to Starcraft 2's ladder *cough*)

Nice :)

A reminder for everybody that there is 9 days left to apply the finishing touches, and the final day is included. Good luck everyone :)

That's hot. :)

My commander will be Lord Garithos. Here's a WIP of the starting unit.

Javelin Thrower

gilneasspearthrower-png.359745

Glass cannon starting ranged unit. Relying on their allies to keep opponents at bay, their innate passive allows them to pick off targets from afar. They are heavily dependent on positioning, as their low health makes them susceptible to heavy damage from enemy spells.

They may sting, but most of their damage disappears in close quarters. They are also weak against mechanicals.

relentless-aim-jpg.359742
RELENTLESS AIM [Innate]

Landing hits on organic units beyond a distance deals bonus damage. Fly height counts toward the threshold.

Damage: +12/21/30 (Scales with Javelin Training)
Range Threshold: 420
marksmanship-jpg.359744
MARKSMANSHIP [T2]

Increases range by 200.

burning-spears-jpg.359743
BURNING SPEARS [T3]

Each attack burns the target unit.

Damage per Second: 7
Duration (Heroes): 3
Duration (Units): 5

Level 15
Looks good, guys. Spellbound, you are kind of overcomplicating things for my taste, but that is just my opinion.

Majority of the times less is more, but I know you, you enjoy putting yourself in artistic challanges.

A penultimate WIP before releasing the final version of the map:

Despite appearances, the Earthen Druidess is not a Hero, nor a commander. She just feels that way, because of her commanding presence, coupled with some devastating spells to boot.

EDIT:

Credits to -Grendel for the Stone Sentinel model. The dive and surface animations are done separately, and aren't included in the base model.

Level 13
TC #15 - Kel'Thuzad v1.7

I gave Kel'Thuzad a brand new ultimate ability, and enhanced his talents! Also changed how Sapphiron works. He's no longer a controllable summoned unit, instead he will fly towards a target point and shatter enemy defenses with his powerful frost attacks. I think I'm done with Kel'Thuzad for now. I'll probably keep on updating him after the contest :>

Screenshot_20.png

Hello lads...
First of all I'd like to apologise for not being active at all in this contest.
#1 - I have a ton of irl issues because of this lockdown and it's economical impacts.
#2 - I joined a project for which I have made models, and I suck at multitasking...

Now that being said, I'm set on completing my entry (hopefully in time, and if not I'll still release it, even if not getting any placement)!
I'm very close to finish and just need to complete a few models and skins, but let's just show what I have now:

- Ditched the idea of sea units, like was said here, it doesn't fit the tech-tree contest.
- Added research talents for Jaina to compensate her being only trainable hero.

Kul Tiras - Basic Units.PNG Kul Tiras - Special Units.PNG

full

Edit: muh double post...

So it's done, so close before the time's up :D

Daughter of the Sea

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.