• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #10 - Mythology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
the%20hive%20workshop.png

techtree.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
0.png

4ALxuwM.jpg

Mythology
Create a new race based on Mythology, be it Real Life (Such as Greek, Hindu, Egyptian, Celtic and so on.) or fictional (Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth and so on)

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If the Entry does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
  • The features that may be edited are:
    • Gameplay constants
    • Game interface
    • Object editor
    • Trigger editor
  • The map's terrain may not be edited.
  • Marketplaces, Taverns, and item shops may be edited to make the game more interesting.
  • Participants must download the template map with the included system, edit it and then resubmit it as their entry.
  • The resulting map may not exceed 8MB in size.
  • The map must be named "THW.TC10.*username*.*Race*

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive Theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking Thematic elements will result in a poor score.10

Gameplay
How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points.20

Balance
Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against others of it's class. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will mean a good score.10

Creativity
How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; re-use of existing elements & poor originality will result in a poor score.10
  • 75% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Contest Overseer: Kam​

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on February 8th 2016 (Date of approval) and conclude on May 8th 2016, GMT

Attachments

• (4)TechtreeContest10UPDATED.w3x
    247.8 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
Level 12
I almost forgot to thank everyone who voted in the contest:

Alliances:
GhostThruster, hiphop4eva, Spinel, steyon, teozamait, TheJackal47, VeljkoM, Warseeker, Wisdom

Elements:
aeman, Kyrbi0, Meatmuffin, Naze, Retera, Spellbound, Svartben, vuakudo

Mythology:
Anderhil, apcrabnightlive, Apheraz Lucent, Arad MNK, Astaroth Zion, Divine Crusade, GhostHunter123, Leo Akastenix, MetalKing1417, Midasowski, N41, PublishedShadow, SolHeliosFire, Teldorei, The_Silent, Windrunner29

Alternate Timeline:
General Frank, JokeMaster, Zaljinzoo

Nomad:
bombe306, kari0003, Roland, Rufus, Wardrom

Fourcraft:
apipek, Kam, loktar, Rocknsugar, Sunreaver

Insurgence:
ExotiK, Heinvers, Kingz, Knight of Arsford, Mechanical Man, Zamolxe

Level 18
Aztec Mythos will take your blood

Nice, here we go!!! I will go with the "Mexica" Mythology (Aztec in English). I have very fond memories of Mexico and will love to share a little of
it´s pre-hispanic culture with The Hive.

PS: poll score and judges score are off. Last contest was (Public Poll 25%, Judges 75%) and we never discuss to change those percentages.

Edit: percentages changed, ty BlackRangerXIII for the super-fast update.

Last edited:
Level 12
Nice,, here we go. I will go with the "Mexica" Mythology (Aztec in English). I have very fond memories of Mexico and will like to share a little of thier culture.

PS: poll score and judges score are off. Last contest was (Public Poll 25%, Judges 75%) and we never discuss to change those percentages.

That would be great
Also I forgot I got this Idea:
combine Mythologies:
like my Mythology race Idea is a mixture of Nordic, Irish, Welsh and Celtic. with medieval style building (So I can put Elves like the more modern ones and Combine the Dullahan and Einherjar into one

PS: Fixed the Scoring

Level 18
like my Mythology race Idea is a mixture of Nordic, Irish, Welsh and Celtic. with medieval style building (So I can put Elves like the more modern ones and Combine the Dullahan and Einherjar into one

Mmmm, I´m curious on how you will make a cohesive and understandable mithos of all those sources. Maybe you could follow a Proto-Germanic Mythology that is the root of many of those myths.

Level 12
Mmmm, I´m curious on how you will make a cohesive and understandable mithos of all those sources. Maybe you could follow a Proto-Germanic Mythology that is the root of many of those myths.

In my lore:
All civilizations were attacked by a very dangerous force which forced the Mythological creatures to reveal themselves and try to help the humans the Northern Germanic (Composed of modern Nordic Countries, British Isles, Iceland and other countries) creatures (Celtic, Welsh, Irish and Nordic) were able to help their respective Civilizations and then they were able to unite themselves into the Northern Germanic Alliance.

Level 14
Alrighty! Cant wait to start working on this - gotta re install wc3 first, and wait for official launch ofc.
Im kind of bummed that mythology had been voted as the theme. Well then, lets see how good techtree can come out of a race based on a Stag. My entry will follow the Hungarian myth of Hunor and Magor, and with this myth I am allowed to make a nomad race! \o/

Level 12
Alrighty! Cant wait to start working on this - gotta re install wc3 first, and wait for official launch ofc.
Im kind of bummed that mythology had been voted as the theme. Well then, lets see how good techtree can come out of a race based on a Stag. My entry will follow the Hungarian myth of Hunor and Magor, and with this myth I am allowed to make a nomad race! \o/

I have to tell you this:
"Touché"

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well, while I am almost certainly not going to have time, I'm glad to see this starting up; more importantly, you picked the ABSOLUTE BEST-POSSIBLE header image. xD

Astaroth, I cannot believe you beat me to a Mayincaztec-themed race... What's worse is I didn't even think about it until you posted! That's like, my thing! Lol.

Are "earth elementals" part of any particular mythology? Jewish Golems, maybe...

Level 12
Well, while I am almost certainly not going to have time, I'm glad to see this starting up; more importantly, you picked the ABSOLUTE BEST-POSSIBLE header image. xD

Astaroth, I cannot believe you beat me to a Mayincaztec-themed race... What's worse is I didn't even think about it until you posted! That's like, my thing! Lol.

Are "earth elementals" part of any particular mythology? Jewish Golems, maybe...

Jewish folklore has Golems

Level 14
Uh... yeah. I literally just said that.

I'm just wondering if that's excuse enough to pull off a Golem (*cough* earth elemental *cough*) race. : )

I think its not a far stretch. To my understanding you have to make a race based on the mythology, you dont necessarily have to make the civilization who that mythology origins from. So imho you can have all types of jewish golems without having humans in your race.

You might wanna research for other earth based myths tho, to make up a full race? So you can have variety and not only 'da golem'.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I think its not a far stretch. To my understanding you have to make a race based on the mythology, you dont necessarily have to make the civilization who that mythology origins from. So imho you can have all types of jewish golems without having humans in your race.

You might wanna research for other earth based myths tho, to make up a full race? So you can have variety and not only 'da golem'.
Lol. It's just Farfetch'd enough to work... :p

Level 18
Patience and keep brainstorming. We will get a host and start the contest.

In the meanwhile I got a question people. What are your thoughts on the Age of Mythology recipie? (Human civilization with workers and basic soldiers, then with gods power you train mythic units to make a full army)

Level 12
Patience and keep brainstorming. We will get a host and start the contest.

In the meanwhile I got a question people. What are your thoughts on the Age of Mythology recipie? (Human civilization with workers and basic soldiers, then with gods power you train mythic units to make a full army)

It's something good but it will not work on Warcraft 3

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Approved.

I set the deadline to May 8th. I know you requested a 4 month long deadline, but 4 month is a crazy long time. Honestly, 3 months is basically too long too.

As a rule of thumb, a longer spanning deadline doesn't produce more entries; it makes people start on their entries later.

Happy contest, people.

Level 12
Approved.

I set the deadline to May 8th. I know you requested a 4 month long deadline, but 4 month is a crazy long time. Honestly, 3 months is basically too long too.

As a rule of thumb, a longer spanning deadline doesn't produce more entries; it makes people start on their entries later.

Happy contest, people.

Who will moderate the contest?

Level 12
Okay,I got another question,if it doesn't affect anybody else.I created my own custom race jass script and to play it,I must use 90% handicap with undead race.But,it doesn't seems to be working (for me at least).Even though I use 90% handicap when testing choosing undead,both undead race and my own race show up.And my worker .NEAR HALL spawn in the middle of the map.

This might help

Also I recommend to modify the Provided Race Initialization script instead of creating a new one

Okay then.Didn't thought editing the whole setup of one race wouldn't count as remove.1 last question would be appreciated.How do I replace the Haunted Gold Mine unit with a custom one?Because I see no id of the Haunted Gold Mine is set on the setup.

Level 12
Okay then.Didn't thought editing the whole setup of one race wouldn't count as remove.1 last question would be appreciated.How do I replace the Haunted Gold Mine unit with a custom one?Because I see no id of the Haunted Gold Mine is set on the setup.

That I don't know

Hey Guys
I've discovered something
The map I gave to you all is a little bugged

Download the updated map in the first post
Please forgive me because of this

I've forgot to delete the map initialization trigger that comes with every melee map
The one that runs all melee scripts

Is that suppose to be the cause of my script error?
(funny video tho :goblin_good_job:)

EDIT:Fixed,that melee script is the cause of everything.

EDIT:First WIP of gameplay.
250158-albums8697-picture105838.png

You might notice that I used cheat lumber.Haven't figured out what to do with the trees yet.

First WIP of Triggers
250158-albums8697-picture105839.png

Last edited:
I already stated my race at the first page if I'm not mistaken.And yeah,I started working on this just right after the approval.Never stop working since then,except for nighttime.Right now,the things that are not finished are the Tier 3 Town Hall,Hero Spells,Lumber Harvesting,Making Icons,Units,Summoned Units,Guard Tower Upgrades and Imported Things.The CnP contains your Custom Gold Harvesting but I edited it a little and fix a bunch of bugs.Don't worry,you'll be credited :}

Also,what's Judeo-Christian?

What's Darkling mythology? The only thing I can find about it is some reference to slavic vampirism, or is it from fictional work?

Imo you should probably post a link to where you read up on Darkling mythos, otherwise people can just make stuff up, which kinda defeats the purpose this particular theme.

As for Judeo-Christian, its:
Wikipedia said:
Judeo-Christian is a term used by many Christians since the 1950s to encompass perceived common ethical values based on Christianity and Judaism.
I meant this as a reference to Judeo-Christian hell (well, mostly Christian since I'm not very well acquainted with the Jewish version of the afterlife).

Hmm, I see. I would have expected something a tad more substantial than that. A random artwork on the internet based on someone's own interpretation doesn't sound like a very compelling piece to work on.

As it stands right now, your race is mostly just 'demon race'. Unless the powers that be accept this, you can still repurpose your current work to fit an existing mythos without changing anything, like Christian mythos. Or maybe try something like Ars Goetia :p

Hmm, I see. I would have expected something a tad more substantial than that. A random artwork on the internet based on someone's own interpretation doesn't sound like a very compelling piece to work on.

As it stands right now, your race is mostly just 'demon race'. Unless the powers that be accept this, you can still repurpose your current work to fit an existing mythos without changing anything, like Christian mythos. Or maybe try something like Ars Goetia :p

Hearing (actually seeing) this makes me have butterflies in my guts.I think I'll let go of this non-existing race and make a new one.Probably Cthulhu perhaps.I dun know.

Well even if you change mythos, you can still repurpose those triggered spells. No need to let these go to waste :p

Whatever your decision, good luck with the contest.

@BlackRangerXIII
You should probably make it a requirement for participants to link to their research material if their chosen mythos is not widely known.

Is Cthulhu a good,peaceful dude of water?

Er, no, I wouldn't qualify Cthulhu as good, or peaceful. Here's some more insight on its nature: http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Cthulhu_Mythos_Deity_Physiology

The user can have the traits and abilities of the Deities of the Cthulhu Mythos, which can be divided into two broad groups:

Outer Gods: Described by H.P. Lovecraft as barely focused, near impersonal forces of nature (Nyarlathotep being the only one with real personality), uncaring and supremely indifferent.

Great Old Ones: Generally physical beings, if vastly powerful, and as such somewhat more relatable. They could be considered as extremely advanced aliens, although not always made from the matter as we understand it and not as bound to the laws of nature.

Take note of the bolded part. When I think of Lovecraft's work, the first things that spring to mind is bizarre and maddening. Though having everything being watery and humid (Naga models will come in handy here) would work since the abyss kinda has the effect of being mysterious and terrifying, I would advise to do some additional reading on the topic. Eldritch Physiology should provide you with plenty of info to make a proper Eldritch race.

PS: it's a nice soundtrack, but not something I'd associate with Cthulhu. Something dark and sinister would work, or something weird. Eg: Eldritch Passages from Trine 2.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Spellbound is the MVP of the thread so far... I'll admit, while I originally liked the idea of including fictional, current mythos (Cthulhu, LotR, etc), I'm getting worried that people are just eschewing research altogether & simply making it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.