• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Techtree Contest #13 - Coloured Mana [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 332046

when you can update the main list, its in 8 but now we are 12 participants.

3 White, 2 Red, 2 Blue, 4 Black , 1 Green, muahaha I am the only Green, I like that.

I don't actually update the list for this contest.

Update on Orderions:
I've mostly fixed Ver'thuuns and their spells. Fixed Glaive-Bearer's current health-based attack not working correctly.

To this day, no new buildings and units have been introduced aside from what was already there, and Zealots.

Zealot - A unit overwhelmed with his lust for the goddess of Order, he razes every building that belongs to those who oppose his goddess' will (which he interprets as those of his actual enemies). Does very well against buildings, but struggles against units.

Ver'thuun - Last Word will permanently silence a target unit if it casts a spell (temporary for Heroes).
Aether Realm will banish all units in a target area, preventing them from attacking. The debuff lasts 10 seconds for units and 3 seconds for Heroes.
Revelation is a high-risk channeling spell that converts the enemy at the end of the spell. If the unit is awoken, the debuff that marks the unit as a target of the channeling spell is removed, stunning the caster (and leaving it practically out of mana). Upon successful conversion, the caster dies.

Level 35
Another update on my entry, The Sewer Tunnels, a structure where you can get your Ratmen units.

The Sewer Tunnels.jpg

Also, triggers for the development and integration of a fifth race were already provided by Spellbound in the initial post:

"Helpful Links: Custom Race System, Design Guide for Fifth Race by MCV, How to create Full-working custom race, Guide to make a Race. (Provided by VeljkoM)"

These links are usually provided on the first page of every Techtree Contest to give easy access to them, since it is a staple for the contest itself to be able to do these.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I must've missed them; glad that I was wrong (that they were forgotten).

Wazzz most of all I just want you to know that I am constantly trying to respond to you & critique things you show, but Life Is Hard & I've been sick so I just haven't. You deserve better than me. But I will persevere.

Level 29
Another update on my entry, The Sewer Tunnels, a structure where you can get your Ratmen units.

Also, triggers for the development and integration of a fifth race were already provided by Spellbound in the initial post:

"Helpful Links: Custom Race System, Design Guide for Fifth Race by MCV, How to create Full-working custom race, Guide to make a Race. (Provided by VeljkoM)"

These links are usually provided on the first page of every Techtree Contest to give easy access to them, since it is a staple for the contest itself to be able to do these.

edited.

I see,
sorry for the troubles, nice vermin theme.

Last edited:
Level 29
I am sorry to say that I am droping/leaving the contest.
I hope you can forgive me for joining the 30th and drop now the 5th.

But I want to say as good notes, I dont regret it the try,
I had fun, designing the units, tech-tree, heroes, the manual.
I got attached with the race I started and I will continue it and submit it as altered melee someday.
And also I give thanks with the positive feedback/rep points I received.

so the updated list should be:

upload_2019-9-5_9-19-32.png

Good luck in the contest

I am sorry to say that I am droping/leaving the contest.
I hope you can forgive me for joining the 30th and drop now the 5th.

But I want to say as good notes, I dont regret it the try,
I had fun, designing the units, tech-tree, heroes, the manual.
I got attached with the race I started and I will continue it and submit it as altered melee someday.
And also I give thanks with the positive feedback/rep points I received.

so the updated list should be:

View attachment 332184

Good luck in the contest

That's unfortunate. This is the biggest amount of contestants we had in years. I'm concerned if more people will drop out.

We appreciate the list you made though. It's neat.

Level 29
That's unfortunate. This is the biggest amount of contestants we had in years. I'm concerned if more people will drop out.

We appreciate the list you made though. It's neat.

oh you shouldnt be concerned, my case is very particular,
-I mapped 15 melee maps, 1 after another, I think I could do an altered (trusting my speed), but I just got exhausted not only for 7 days of mapping this altered melee but also I have the saturation of the previous 15 maps. Yesterday I was full of joy with my altered melee map, but now is like I need a month of no mapping.

Also I understand that extentions are usually granted when many people need it. ( I think users ask extentions before decide dropping).

Last edited:
Level 35
I know a bit of what you mean, with the amount of thought that goes into developing a Techtree I've needed to take the occasional time off from it

Then by the time I get back into it I've already got a clear and exact idea of what I want to implement, and that's how you get sewage skewers

Thread seems kinda dead, so I thought I'd publish something to keep the flame going.
Here's a full preview of the Stormcaller, formerly Storm Witch. Unfortunately, due to balancing issues, that old ultimate got scrapped in favor of this new one.

Don't mind that name. I haven't added lizard names for the Stormcaller yet. She might not have a full voice over, but Thunder Spirit got one. You can hear 2 quotes from it at the end of the video.

Ah, so the Thunder Spirit is sort of like the Infernal, but a different unit :D

Yea. I really wanted to keep the old ultimate, but I'm having a hard time balancing it.

that's a pretty cool passive, although I wonder, why not make it autocast?

Autocast abilities that's based on auto attacks (Searing Arrows, Frost Arrows, etc...) doesn't trigger a "Unit - Starts the effect of an ability" event. It only does count if the player manually casts them.

Last edited:
Level 7
Autocast abilities that's based on auto attacks (Searing Arrows, Frost Arrows, etc...) doesn't trigger a "Unit - Starts the effect of an ability" event. It only does count if the player manually casts them.
There's a workaround for that. You can have a boolean for whether the ability is on autocast, make a trigger that sets it to true when the corresponding "activate autocast" order is issued, make another trigger that sets it to false when the "deactivate autocast" order is issued, and then have a near-identical version of your "Unit - Starts the effect of an ability" trigger that instead responds to a unit taking damage (via whatever damage handler you're using) for when an enemy takes Hero-type damage from the corresponding hero and the boolean is true. A bit of extra work, but doable. I've had to do that in a few maps I made.

There's a workaround for that. You can have a boolean for whether the ability is on autocast, make a trigger that sets it to true when the corresponding "activate autocast" order is issued, make another trigger that sets it to false when the "deactivate autocast" order is issued, and then have a near-identical version of your "Unit - Starts the effect of an ability" trigger that instead responds to a unit taking damage (via whatever damage handler you're using) for when an enemy takes Hero-type damage from the corresponding hero and the boolean is true. A bit of extra work, but doable. I've had to do that in a few maps I made.

I think I know what you mean. But as you said, it's extra work. My version functions properly so I don't see a need to change it unless something becomes faulty. In that case, I'll resort to your suggestion.

Why not check if a buff belonging to that ability is applied on the unit? That way, all you need to include is just a damage event handler.

^ this. Base the ability off Poison Arrow (trust me, other autocasts are hardcoded in some way don't seem to work that well - and none of them work in melee, I don't think) and give it a unique buff. Then, instead of a cast event, you look for a damage event. If the target has the buff, that means they were hit with the autocast. You can then proceed to remove the buff and do the effects of the thing. The only issue I can think of in this is that autocast abilities don't appear to trigger cooldowns, which you should probably test for before doing this :p

^ this. Base the ability off Poison Arrow (trust me, other autocasts are hardcoded in some way don't seem to work that well - and none of them work in melee, I don't think) and give it a unique buff. Then, instead of a cast event, you look for a damage event. If the target has the buff, that means they were hit with the autocast. You can then proceed to remove the buff and do the effects of the thing. The only issue I can think of in this is that autocast abilities don't appear to trigger cooldowns, which you should probably test for before doing this :p

I'm not planning to switch from a perfectly functional system to something known to have issues. Besides, I think a passive looks better than an autocast.

Level 35
I would like to introduce my second Hero for the Outlaws faction, the Dark Wizard:

The Dark Wizard.jpg

I wanted to make something like an "Archmage" hero for the faction that ideally represented the raw lust for power and dominance of the Black theme, while still playing into the faction's strength for Ambushes. It's where, to an extent, I'm reluctant to have too many actual "buffs" for the faction, unless there is an ulterior motive at play - for example, the Renegade Wizard can cast Haste on friendly units, but he can just as quickly consume the buffs he placed to further supplement his own health, i.e. he makes an investment should he need it later, and while the investment is in play it allows other units to get in front of him faster. He can also just as readily cast Haste on himself and leg it while everybody else is left to fend for themselves.

I love this theme.

Level 27
Here is a new WIP to keep the activity in the contest.

Abbess.PNG

• Raze: Channels Tyskhadi's wrath in the target area. After 3 seconds causes damage based on how many enemies are in that area.
  • Evil Maze: Creates a maze of black magic traps in the target area. Enemies that walk into a trap are greatly slowed. Each level increases duration of the traps.
  • Blood Mana: Curses an enemy with Blood Mana, causing it to lose health or mana when casting spells. Can only be used on targets with mana.
  • Soul Siphon: Creates a link between the Abbess of Pain and an enemy unit, draining 32 hit points per second from the enemy to increase Abbess's damage by 1 and movement speed by 3 per stack. Link lasts for 10 seconds but can be breaked if distance between Abbess and target is greater than 700 or any of they are dead. Multiple links can be active at the same time and each acts individually.

Immortal.PNG

• Life Break: The Immortal strikes a mighty blow at melee range, damaging both himself and a small area around the target. Deals extra damage to target and cause a ministun.
  • Execute: Using his own life force, the Immortal deals extra damage on attacks based on max HP of the hero when Execute is active. Activation cost no mana but each attack costs 30 hitpoints. Attacks on non-hero units have a little chance of kill it instantly if unit level is less than or equal than 5. Lasts 20 seconds.
  • Fortitude: Hero's injuries feed his power, giving increased armor and health regeneration based on missing health.
  • Sadism: When activated, all damage dealt to the hero will heal instead of harm by 75% of the amount. Most negative buffs will be removed. Also the hero taunts nearby enemy units, forcing 6 of them to uncontrollably attack him during the duration or until Immortal dies. These units will be unselectable for their owner player. Sadism lasts 8 seconds.

Arachnomancer.PNG

• Lethal Injection: Injects 2 spiderlings into an enemy unit, dealing damage. If Arachnomancer is in normal form the damage will be dealed instantly. If Arachnid Shape is active will be deal dps instead. The spiderlings will hatch if the target die under this influence. Spiderlings lasts 60 seconds.
  • Paralyzing Web: Catch an enemy unit in a web, immobilizing it. If Arachnid Shape is active, the hero will also jump to the target, dealing damage to it. Trapped units receive 25% more damage from attacks of Arachnid Shape and any spawned spider.
  • Summon Monstrous Spiders: Summons 2 Monstrous Spiders to fight enemies for a limited time. Spider have poison attacks and lasts 40 seconds.
  • Arachnid Shape: Transforms the Arachnomancer into a giant spider, losing his ranged attacks but increasing hit points by 150, armor by 3 and improving Lethal Injection and Paralyzing Web.

Banner Armies.PNG

Training system of Dark Elves works as predetermined combinations of troops that are deployed from War Academies. Althought the average cost and training time of a banner army is high, this is favored by the highly offensive style of the faction, because War Academies are also the food production buildings. Multiple War Academies are important to increase food and maintain troop production.

Level 35
I'm definitely curious to see what the heck that Banner Army system even is, and how it works :D

Also, here is an update on the units from the Shadow Works:

The Shadow Works.jpg

It was definitely a lot of fun coming up with the concepts for these units, and am looking forward to updating the Bandit Lord a little more soon, as I have altered his abilities slightly but have yet to properly finalize him.

Level 35
A shorter update this time, in the form of the tier 3 flier structure for the Bandits, the Nether Dragon Roost:

The Nether Dragon Roost.jpg

Soon there should be an update to my Bandit Lord hero, which has almost undergone all of its changes. My goal was to make the Nether Wyrm a "simpler" unit in design that still had tricks up its sleeve.

@xYours Trulyx hmm... I think when it comes to the Red Philosophy pertaining to freedom and anarchy, it is through the freedom of expression. This can manifest in unbridled passion, and over committing through raw emotion rather than logic. On that token, for me, with the way I incorporated my own philosophy, I considered the playstyle I wanted to manifest, i.e. the tactical doctrine of the faction, and made things according to that. I think for the Red Philosophy, when it comes to themes of Freedom, making a hyper aggressive, rapidly maneuverable force could be along the right path for it. When the faction wants to fight, it fights with unrivaled ferocity. When it needs to go on the defense, it all but scrambles back to do so. Maybe something along those lines could help?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Well, [Red] is all about achieving Freedom through Action. They are the Color most strongly associated with Emotions & Impulse, "going with their gut" & passionately pursuing wherever their heart leads.

Red is allied with Green on the axis of Authenticity & in the similarities between following your Impulses (Red) & following Instincts (Green), with Blue as a common enemy. The R.v.U. conflict is the age-old "Heart vs Mind", "Reason vs. Emotion" conflict; why waste time planning when you could be doing?

Red is also allied with Black along the axis of Individualism & in the similarities between disregarding Laws (Red) & Morals (Black) in pursuit of your goals, with White as as common enemy. The R.v.W. conflict is the time-worn "Chaos vs. Order", where White's laws & order for the group chafe against Red's tendency towards self-motivated Action regardless of consequence.

The Color Red is most associated with aggressive "Aggro" & "(Zerg) Rush" strategies, fielding rapid deployments & speedy attacks.
Also highly associated with fire & lightning & lava & rage & fear magicks.
Comes from the lofty Mountains.
Readily discards long-term staying power & presence for short-term gain.
Deals increasingly with temporary versions of other Color's abilities (card draw, Mana production, etc)
Has difficulty dealing with immaterial concepts (i.e. Enchantments), but otherwise is equipped with the tools & the will to take anything down.

Good example: Blue & Red can both "filter" through their deck with draw/discard effects; however while Blue "loots" (draw 1st, then discard), Red "rummages" (discard 1st, *then* draw).

Hope that helps! Also don't forget to read the "manual" ; )

Seeing Red Revisited

Level 35
And here's an update on the Bandit Lord hero:

The Bandit Lords 2.jpg

The key changes are that Shadow Step allows the Bandit Lord to regenerate health while invisible while still being tangible when it comes to attempting to move through units, Bounty Hunter is now replaced with Bounty Hunter Aura which allows you to collect a portion of bounty from any enemy units you kill or a bonus bounty for any neutral creeps you kill, and Call Bodyguards is now Call Made Men and the Made Men units have watered down variations of the Bandit Lord's abilities in the form of a lower radius, automatically activated Watcher Trap, a lower radius Bounty Hunter Aura, as well as Ambush and Bash.

Also, that is totally what I was thinking for a Red Faction, basically a hyper aggressive, "no time for thinking" sort of gameplay style. Some examples could be the way the ingame Orcs play to an extent, with some of their abilities like Berserk giving them a more aggressive stance at the cost of defense for the Troll Berserkers, Bloodlust giving them more mobility and aggression, things like that. Alternatively, you could possibly look at the Wolf Clan from Battlerealms as a good example, too.

@xYours Trulyx hmm... I think when it comes to the Red Philosophy pertaining to freedom and anarchy, it is through the freedom of expression. This can manifest in unbridled passion, and over committing through raw emotion rather than logic. On that token, for me, with the way I incorporated my own philosophy, I considered the playstyle I wanted to manifest, i.e. the tactical doctrine of the faction, and made things according to that. I think for the Red Philosophy, when it comes to themes of Freedom, making a hyper aggressive, rapidly maneuverable force could be along the right path for it. When the faction wants to fight, it fights with unrivaled ferocity. When it needs to go on the defense, it all but scrambles back to do so. Maybe something along those lines could help?

Well, [Red] is all about achieving Freedom through Action. They are the Color most strongly associated with Emotions & Impulse, "going with their gut" & passionately pursuing wherever their heart leads.

Red is allied with Green on the axis of Authenticity & in the similarities between following your Impulses (Red) & following Instincts (Green), with Blue as a common enemy. The R.v.U. conflict is the age-old "Heart vs Mind", "Reason vs. Emotion" conflict; why waste time planning when you could be doing?

Red is also allied with Black along the axis of Individualism & in the similarities between disregarding Laws (Red) & Morals (Black) in pursuit of your goals, with White as as common enemy. The R.v.W. conflict is the time-worn "Chaos vs. Order", where White's laws & order for the group chafe against Red's tendency towards self-motivated Action regardless of consequence.

The Color Red is most associated with aggressive "Aggro" & "(Zerg) Rush" strategies, fielding rapid deployments & speedy attacks.
Also highly associated with fire & lightning & lava & rage & fear magicks.
Comes from the lofty Mountains.
Readily discards long-term staying power & presence for short-term gain.
Deals increasingly with temporary versions of other Color's abilities (card draw, Mana production, etc)
Has difficulty dealing with immaterial concepts (i.e. Enchantments), but otherwise is equipped with the tools & the will to take anything down.

Good example: Blue & Red can both "filter" through their deck with draw/discard effects; however while Blue "loots" (draw 1st, then discard), Red "rummages" (discard 1st, *then* draw).

Hope that helps! Also don't forget to read the "manual" ; )

Seeing Red Revisited
Also, that is totally what I was thinking for a Red Faction, basically a hyper aggressive, "no time for thinking" sort of gameplay style. Some examples could be the way the ingame Orcs play to an extent, with some of their abilities like Berserk giving them a more aggressive stance at the cost of defense for the Troll Berserkers, Bloodlust giving them more mobility and aggression, things like that. Alternatively, you could possibly look at the Wolf Clan from Battlerealms as a good example, too.

So this what I can summarize all the suggestions given:
=> Rush tactics , quick unit training time
=> Mobile units, fast attack speed
=> "Rummage" , rob/pillage/raid abilities and strats (?)
=> "Has difficulty dealing with immaterial concepts" , magic and debuffs are #1 weakness (?)
=> "but otherwise is equipped with the tools & the will to take anything down" , some are spell immune/ can remove debuff (?)
=> Relies on brute strength, limited/less reliable spells compared to other races (?)
=> Hyper aggressive playstyle, lethal frontal assault , mediocre/weak to target enemy backlines
=> "Deals increasingly with temporary versions of other Color's abilities" , sort of Spell Steal (?)
=> "Readily discards long-term staying power & presence for short-term gain", strong in extended fights (?)

Do these do? If I got all of them correct, I might be able to associate the Red theme with my race.

Level 35
Something like that, yeah. For me, I'd lay out the sort of tactical doctrine I want for them, too. Like for my faction, I knew I wanted to incorporate strong ambush play, hit-and-run tactics and unconventional economic support, while incorporating existing elements within the game in ways I haven't seen done before, such as upgrades benefiting mercenary recruitment and abilities utilizing bounty values.

For yours, I think you can come up with some form of doctrine or overarching theme from what you've outlined there.

Level 35
Here is yet another update, this time the addition of an item shop for the Bandits, the Dead Drop Cache:

The Dead Drop Cache.jpg

If anybody thought I was actually going to use the Marketplace as their item shop boy were they bamboozled. Draws too much attention for the sneaky operations and all that, don't it?

@xYours Trulyx yeah, something like that, that seems like a cool ability for some aggressive styles of play. Makes me think of the Heroes 4 Berserkers a little bit, I like it :D

Here's a WIP of the first unit production building.

CombatCampWIP.png

The unit icons besides their main unit icon are the ones that's required to train said main unit. Icons below them are the upgrades available for them. All 3 of them have custom voices, which I will showcase probably tomorrow. Scrappers and Cutthroats can use Passion of War, but Battle Mage can't because loosing control of a caster unit is just bonkers.

Level 14
WIP

Working on a faction I want to be in this contest: It's called The Poison Race
They wield toxic magic that sustain and prolong their lives and as well as their mutation, this substance is called Blood of Y'xaph.

sc1-png.332901

UNITS:
1. Bludgeoneer
- Mutated creatures of pure hatred and disgust. Basic melee unit that has 'Caustic Wound' that makes enemies suffer damage per second damage each time the bludgeoneer hits them.
2. Impaler
- Armed with envenomed throwing spikes that has 15% chance to slow enemies and make them miss their attacks. Light ranged unit that can evolve into Elite Impalers.
3. Bombardier
- Ranged siege unit that is very effective against structures.
4. Loathenguard (Special)
- Armed with cleaving weapon like of a felguard. Can cleave multiple enemies in one blow and has poison attack.
5. Elite Tracker
- Stronger impalers with higher armor and faster life regeneration rate.

sc2-png.332902

1. Slithering Brute
- It is believed they were either salamanders and naga royal guards mutated by the Blood magic of Y'xaph. Slow attack speed but dense and solid damage. Can 'Smash' enemies and stun them with DPS damage that increases until its expiry. Has 'Charge' can leap and charge to a group of enemies, damaging and stunning them.
2. Belching Giant
- One-eyed gargantuan beings that has chaos damage. Can 'Gorge' enemies that functions like devour but forever devoured, the Belching Giant moves slower but has higher hitpoints and faster life regeneration rate. Has 'Regurgitate' that vomits the devoured unit into a ball of goo that runs forward, damaging enemies on its trail.
3. Fetid Marauder
- Centaur-looking creatures with deadly attacks. Can use 'Haste' that increases the running speed of this unit and has adrenaline like attack speed.
4. Pulpous Bear
- Bear like creature that has high hitpoints and can 'Feed' on enemy corpses, increase the hitpoints of this unit. Can 'Bellow' that causes enemies to panic and scare away, making them miss their attacks thereafter.

sc3-png.332903

HEROES:
1. Wylbythaar the Lord of Abhor.
- Lord of Abhor is a mutated insectoid mechaorganic hero with Self-Repair, Uberslash, Exoskeleton Armor, and Decrepit Grounds.
2. Urnus the Mindeater
- The Mindeater are floating and hovering mechaorganic hero with Acid Ball, Poison Lotus, Degredation Aura, and Wrack of Xyltaph.

(UPDATING...)

sc4-png.332904

sc5-png.332905

sc6-png.332906

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.