• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #15 - Co-op Commanders [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the need for such negativity here, especially when a number of options were presented to you other than making passive aggressive snipes in future contests where everybody else seems to be having a good time.

Since what I made was considered a joke, why not joke around a little bit more.
Let's end this here shall we? I may have let my toxicity took over... apologies.

The theme itself is you pick a hero/character from Warcraft lore (can be whatever era you want, can be however minor you want, the universe is pretty expansive), and you try to build a faction around that theme.

So anything goes, as long it exists in the Warcraft universe? Even The Captain or Jailor Kassan would be acceptable? I think I might go for something not from the 4 main races.

I call dibs on Chen Stormstout.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I just noticed the deadline on this... Hm.
Tell you what, if I finish my current campaign before that date (proving my insanity once again)
and have enough time left, I'll go in with my man Admiral Daelin Proudmoore.
Until then, I will enjoy seeing what the contestants can come up with because this coop commander
theme for WC3 has been on my mind since the introduction of SC2 coop commanders.

Now sticking with Mal'furion as the Commander of the Druids.

Current WIP: (Created units)

Currently, the worker unit (Villager Druid) can transform into an absolute behemoth of a Tier 3 unit, as a Savage Bear (Insane attack speed and siege damage). However, the Savage Bear transformation will be locked behind a "lot" of upgrades, ensuring that the player has reached close to 100% tech level to use.

My first tier 1 unit is an Archer-based Druid of the Beast, who takes the form of a harpy. The harpy druid can only fly when her hitpoints is greater than 50%.

Will attach pictures of them later.

EDIT: Post has been updated.
WIP images attached below:
  1. Picture of all units (currently)
    WC3ScrnShot_060320_154830_02.png

2. Gold mine embedding
    WC3ScrnShot_060320_155709_01.png

3. Druid Villager harvesting through the town hall (beta).
    WC3ScrnShot_060320_155740_02.png

Last edited:
Yep I'm set on doing Jaina Leader of the Kirin Tor Offensive.

Was tempted to make my entry SD and HD but I'll probably stick to HD for that sweet sweet Jaina Daughter of the Sea model in Reforged.

Since its the Kirin Tor Offensive we'll have Silver Covenant troops as well as the regular mages of Dalaran.

Level 35
@Wazzz Should we also include the commanding character as one of the faction's playable Hero? If so, should they be completely untouched or can their skills, stats, etc.. be modified?

That's a very good question - it is worth mentioning that it doesn't have to be included, but can be. If it is included, definitely explore ways of how you might include it.
To use Chen Stormsnout as an example, he could be a playable hero that you get, and if you felt inclined to make other heroes available to the faction through whatever ways you decide on (be it the traditional way of getting them through the altar, or them being alternate options available in the Tavern through some clever integration), it could lead to Chen getting a traveling band to go along with him.

Alternatively, you could have it that they are not a playable commander, ideally where it makes sense - if you did Mal'Ganis, for example, you could have him as a manipulator from the shadows. You could do something similar with Sylvanus, where instead of using her directly, you actually command the thralls she has under her command as heroes.

When it comes to skill and stat modification, I'll leave that up to the contestant's discretion. Ideally it should be something fitting to the gameplay style you're after, and, of course, the role of the hero in particular. If you want to make the commanding heroes more powerful than others, there may be ways to accomplish this that both fits balance and isn't overly intrusive to gameplay. Alternatively, you might want to stick to more traditional values and abilities, but in this theme I want there to be a degree of flexibility on such things.

Level 11
Hey, I wasn't able to open the provided map (none of the both download links worked). It says that there is missing information.
Edit: I am also thinking on lots of other heroes, so I can't assure anything (even if I am gonna participate :))

Level 35
Damn, there's been some... consistent problems with trying to open those maps when provided on here.
If you can find them in your own copy, that should hopefully fix the issue, although I don't know why World Editor is being so stubborn about this. I believe even @Mythic updated the first post with his own versions, since the ones I provided seemed to be causing issues (I have Reforged, so we thought it might be a bug on that end, like most things are).

Hey, I wasn't able to open the provided map (none of the both download links worked). It says that there is missing information.
Edit: I am also thinking on lots of other heroes, so I can't assure anything (even if I am gonna participate :))

johnwar provided a solution for contestants that uses versions below 1.32, myself included:

Look for the Frozen Throne folder in Maps folder and look for "(6)Duststorm.w3x".

Also, just go for Jaina... while we're at it... There is still Dread Lord Jaina, and Lich Queen Jaina (the latter is alternative lore).

From what I am hearing, it sounds like Jaina has been around quite a bit more than I was aware of.
Aww, come on, Jaina is the first Waifu of many gamers... not far from Sylvanas in popularity I'd say.

She had important roles from WotLK till now really. They turned her from a ¨cute¨ young apprentice into a somewhat zealous and powerful Mage.
- Started seeing that not all Horde are nice and fluffy
- Survived a Hiroshima/Dresden style bombing of her people (an entire novel about that)
- Threw all that ¨let's just all be friends¨ bullshit and focused on alliance
- And finally came back home and became Lord Admiral

Now I must say, it's not some Mary Sue crap that often is used with female characters, but a well developed character with realistic motivations for her actions and power levels.

I must say....
I am Horde.
Of cours the "let be friends" Anduin stuff is crap and non-sense, but i think it's as viable to create a non aggresion-pact as it's in real life. It's very similar, being most wars the result of a tyranical leading at some group (Horde leaders most time. We must admit Blizzard always give a preferencial treatment to the Alliance).

I always played as the Horde, only tried Alliance for Classic. But I do like her story arc quite a lot.
We will see though what will happens to Azeroth and the conflict after Shadowlands, apparently the heroes will come back to another time (not specified how far forth, or even back?).

full

Not to spam the thread, I'm posting here my first ¨proof¨ of actually participating.
So despite saying the skins will take less time, this one took me kind of the whole day... (NOT a WIP btw, that comes later...)

Ghost Ship.png

Last edited:
Level 11
I must say....
I am Horde.
Of cours the "let be friends" Anduin stuff is crap and non-sense, but i think it's as viable to create a non aggresion-pact as it's in real life. It's very similar, being most wars the result of a tyranical leading at some group (Horde leaders most time. We must admit Blizzard always give a preferencial treatment to the Alliance).

Gods Moonman, that ship looks just... great
As far as I know, they aren't back exactly, they will just be living thein non-lives, and we will just see them. The souls didn't even remember their lifes, so I don't think anyone comes to Azeroth :(

Last edited:
Just thought I'd show off the rough outline of how the faction's starting to look, still a couple of units to add/change but we can see post-Theramore Jaina flanked by a big Dalaran construct and an elemental, we also have the Silver Covenant providing the bread and butter troops along with our two Kirin Tor casters on their steeds. Mobility will be a big part of this race/faction :) We also can see Vereesa another hero option. I'm debating whether to add Kalecgos or not and whether Blue Dragons would fit for another air unit.
upload_2020-5-31_1-7-34.png

Level 15
Just thought I'd show off the rough outline of how the faction's starting to look, still a couple of units to add/change but we can see post-Theramore Jaina flanked by a big Dalaran construct and an elemental, we also have the Silver Covenant providing the bread and butter troops along with our two Kirin Tor casters on their steeds. Mobility will be a big part of this race/faction :) We also can see Vereesa another hero option. I'm debating whether to add Kalecgos or not and whether Blue Dragons would fit for another air unit.

I think it is 1 or no heroes. Every Co-op commander is Starcraft 2 is like that. Except Tychus.

Level 59
The Units and Heroes is complete only their abilities is not yet done
Lady Liadrin's Army: The Sunsworn - Archer, Ballista, and Dragonhawk Rider
The Magisters - Priest, Sorceress, Magister, Arcane Golem
The Blood Knights - Swordsman, Crusader, Blood Knight, Spell Breaker, Sky Guardian
Heroes: Blood Knight (Lady Liadrin) Ranger (Sunsworn) Grand Magister

Level 35
As far as I can tell its as many heroes as you want as long as they relate/fit in with the main commander you choose.

Correct. This is partly due to these entries being compared against melee factions, as well as the default melee game having four heroes per race as a gameplay feature (three for reign of chaos, one for a campaign race like the Naga or the Draenei).

Granted, you don't /have/ to have more than one hero, this is the minimum for a reason, buuuut you also don't have to restrict yourself to just the one, and don't even have to have your commander as a playable hero - you could have an Uther Commander, for example, but rather than Uther being one of the heroes, you instead get his closest champions. Maybe instead of Kel'Thuzad, you have special Undead Thralls as his heroes while the big bad lurks in the shadows.

It's totes all personal choice.

Also, on a side note, the Commander I'm putting together partly as a demo but mostly for fun is coming along rather well. A lot of the concepts are shaping up rather well, and I believe I should have it functional for non-RF versions of Warcraft.

If you find a way to put Jaina skin on Reforged Detheroc for Chungus Dreadlord Jaina, I'll just give you 1st place right away.
I'm quoting you on that...

Anyways, I need some advice here:
Balance is a part of the contests, that's all good and nice. However if I use naval units, seeing that technically there are no buildable naval units for the real default race, how is that being judged?
I of course will add naval units for the enemy. And balance their strength around resource cost etc.

And regarding terrain / map in general:
Since it is allowed to edit the map (I'm guessing keeping some basic outline), I want to flood some sections to make boats useful (but not mandatory).
I also would like to keep the co-op idea of playing 1v1 or 2v2, not 3v3 like the map is. Considering that I plan to have set start locations, with two main factions, and two support ones, so it can be played as a
single player, single player with ally and actual co-op.

So am I good to go?

Level 13
I'm contemplating whether or not to lurk in the background and play all the awesome entries coming in or actually participate.

Edit: Aight, made up my mind! Where do I sign up? Thinking about making a Kel'Thuzad commander based around the original RPS gameplay of Alpha WC3. Instead of having to train units, he'll raise them from corpses via Necromancers.

Last edited:
Level 35
I'm quoting you on that...

Anyways, I need some advice here:
Balance is a part of the contests, that's all good and nice. However if I use naval units, seeing that technically there are no buildable naval units for the real default race, how is that being judged?
I of course will add naval units for the enemy. And balance their strength around resource cost etc.

And regarding terrain / map in general:
Since it is allowed to edit the map (I'm guessing keeping some basic outline), I want to flood some sections to make boats useful (but not mandatory).
I also would like to keep the co-op idea of playing 1v1 or 2v2, not 3v3 like the map is. Considering that I plan to have set start locations, with two main factions, and two support ones, so it can be played as a
single player, single player with ally and actual co-op.

So am I good to go?

Well, the original ruling was that anything except the terrain can be edited - however, @Mythic and I have been discussing this point and think that rule is redundant. If users want to edit the terrain, then why should we restrict that? In most cases, it doesn't inherently provide an advantage to the overall design of the techtree, and rather it's an extra thing that some contestants might just want to do. So, we believe you should be fine with that.

As for including naval units, that is... a very good question. I suppose a part of it will be the feel of how effective they are - especially if they're capable of destroying bases without any feasible counter to them, but also similarly if it just feels like a waste to get them. When it comes to naval vs naval, that will also be an aspect, but you should also account for how it interacts with Naval vs Air and Naval vs Land, and if those are key features. For example, if you have a Battleship that can shoot cannonballs across the entire map to destroy bases while remaining untouched, the balance of such a ship is going to be called into question.

Well, the original ruling was that anything except the terrain can be edited - however, @Mythic and I have been discussing this point and think that rule is redundant. If users want to edit the terrain, then why should we restrict that? In most cases, it doesn't inherently provide an advantage to the overall design of the techtree, and rather it's an extra thing that some contestants might just want to do. So, we believe you should be fine with that.

As for including naval units, that is... a very good question. I suppose a part of it will be the feel of how effective they are - especially if they're capable of destroying bases without any feasible counter to them, but also similarly if it just feels like a waste to get them. When it comes to naval vs naval, that will also be an aspect, but you should also account for how it interacts with Naval vs Air and Naval vs Land, and if those are key features. For example, if you have a Battleship that can shoot cannonballs across the entire map to destroy bases while remaining untouched, the balance of such a ship is going to be called into question.

Great, they I'll go as planned regarding the terrain.
The idea behind it is that there are two entry points to the main base, one land and one sea only (still need to walk you units, but might surprise the enemy in a PvP scenario).
Additionally these paths somewhat cross in the middle, where land units may be attacked by the fleet, but can still get out of range (while limiting their advance).

So all that together, one can get a great use of naval units and transport the actual assault force with them. But of course there's the risk of loosing it if the ships get destroyed.
Balance is that the naval units are not build to attack the main base, but can damage the expansion. Expert the ghost ship of course, since it's flying.
All that together would make them not useless but not overpowered.

I just feel that a the Lord Admiral needs her fleet.

MyLord!.PNG

Last edited:
Level 35
Actually, from what I can tell, there is no rank known as "Lady Admiral". Additionally, while in previous cases of the term Lord being typically applied to men, it is not always the case. The Lord of Mann is a title currently held by the Queen of the United Kingdom, and there are females with the title "Lord mayor".

Now, the term Lord Admiral and Lord High Admiral seems to be an older term, but here's an interesting person worth looking into:
Anne, Queen of Great Britain - Wikipedia

It seems that at some point she did appoint her husband the Lord High Admiral, but upon his death, she insisted upon carrying out the duties herself. She is effectively recorded down as a female Lord High Admiral.

It also looks like Queen Elizabeth II held the title of Lord High Admiral from the 1st of April, 1964, to the 10th of June, 2011, according to this list:

Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

Aha, so this is a language discussion thread now, my true passion! (one wouldn't know, seeing my grammar)

- Lord comes from Loaf Ward, (these have their Indo-Aryan origins... you'd be surprised how many words have same origins from Russian, Baltic, Anglo to German).

- Lady is of course related and comes from Hlaf (Hlaf=Loaf) Dike (yes it became a slur later, but is related to ditch, kneading = diking)

So while Lord is applicable a duty position to watch/protect something important, Lady is a position of maintaining it.
The choice is simple, either Jaina is a Dike, or a Ward!

Level 35
To be fair, female Lord High Admirals appear to be an exception to the rule, but so far the title hasn't changed with them - and, in most instances, you would be right. When it comes to ranks in nobility, for instance, the men are Lords, while women of equivalent noble standing were Ladies.

I found it rather interesting to look into, and I feel very safe with Jaina being Lord Admiral. She is her father's daughter, after all :)

Speaking of which, here's an early WIP of my faction. I already have planned some of the more detailed features for the race, but I don't have WIPs for them yet.

Wip1.png

Since Pandarens enjoy eating good food as well as drinking strong booze, Chen would be no different, being a Brewmaster. So, I've made the farm building for my race grow a particular plant that will benefit the race; Bamboo Stalks.

Wip2.png

Speaking of which, here's an early WIP of my faction. I already have planned some of the more detailed features for the race, but I don't have WIPs for them yet.

Since Pandarens enjoy eating good food as well as drinking strong booze, Chen would be no different, being a Brewmaster. So, I've made the farm building for my race grow a particular plant that will benefit the race; Bamboo Stalks.

Nice an immersive Pandaren theme!
BTW, you absolutely must include an Alemental!

I think anybody using reforged should get an automatic hug from all other entrants because geez, I forgot how much more effort it takes to edit skins/icons in reforged even for basic things compared to Classic.

I could pull my hair out sometimes. Also the lack of resources :'(

Level 35
I think anybody using reforged should get an automatic hug from all other entrants because geez, I forgot how much more effort it takes to edit skins/icons in reforged even for basic things compared to Classic.

I could pull my hair out sometimes. Also the lack of resources :'(

Can totally relate, wanted to get in on making one of the first HD entries for these contests, and @Moonman can attest to just how much effort had to go into each of the textures. And then there was the icons.

For anyone wanting to see madness incarnate, open Reforged Mountain Giant textures ;)

On a different note: I am currently struggling with a normal.dds finished other textures and when opening in editor the skin looked all messed up. Saving in any available format (yes ALL of them), didn't solve the issue.
Even asked William if he has any info on how Blizzard saved the textures... we'll see, hope I didn't waste the day on the texture.

Also just to be 100% safe, should I send the judges a rough layout of the terrain for approval, or is it generally accepted that expanding water, and altering base access points is OK?

For anyone wanting to see madness incarnate, open Reforged Mountain Giant textures ;)

Oh my... that's just... you can't see where any of it goes its just stone and moss everywhere :eek:

I tried editing the diffuse and normals of the Altar of Kings and the Town Hall, Keep and Castle to make them have the Dalaran symbol instead of the Lordaeron one and it just didn't work for whatever reason. It's frustrating.

Level 13
I'm going with the option of a single OP hero, which in my case is Grom. I also decided that the faction will have no air units, so instead they will focus on another strategies to effectively confront the rest of races.

Lookin' good! No air units so I'm assuming he'll focus more on Ensnaring enemy air units since it doesn't look like he has much going for him in terms of AA.

Level 35

On a different note: I am currently struggling with a normal.dds finished other textures and when opening in editor the skin looked all messed up. Saving in any available format (yes ALL of them), didn't solve the issue.
Even asked William if he has any info on how Blizzard saved the textures... we'll see, hope I didn't waste the day on the texture.

Also just to be 100% safe, should I send the judges a rough layout of the terrain for approval, or is it generally accepted that expanding water, and altering base access points is OK?

I'm inclined to say to do what you want with the map in that respect, and the judges will look at it when it comes to final submission. In effect, whatever you want to do with the terrain is now technically acceptable, but, of course, it will be at your own discretion. After all, it will be the techtree itself that gets judged, less so the terrain.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
It is an interesting question. Editing the map to have more water gives ships of a Kul Tiras
faction more usefulness, meaning that the faction will excel better with water but also worse
on maps without as much water. Ships are, in the current state of WarCraft, not part of your
usual techtree. Sadly so, I would like the ability to implement them like in the old days. Yes, I
also miss my damn oil.
A heavy reliance on water can give @Moonman's Kul Tiras faction a strength, but also a weakness
for maps without enough water.
Personally I am all for water warfare, but I can also see this causing the faction to struggle on
any maps that completely lack water.

Status
Not open for further replies.