• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Modeling Contest #31 - Spawners and Spawned [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
thread_hive_logo-png.311520

ct_modeling-png.311497
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
3-png.311476
1-png.311474

spawner.gif

SPAWNERS AND SPAWNED
[Optionally Paired]
Contestants are to create two models. A spawner and a spawned unit. The combination can be a summoner and its summoned unit, a structure and the minions it spawns/trains, a master and its servant(s), or similar combination of 'creator' and 'created' unit.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • In order to enter the contest and be eligible to win a prize, contestants must submit their final entry to the Model Resource section. Remember to write in the description "Entry for the 31st Modeling Contest".
  • The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • An in game screenshot showing your submission in action.
    • All files in their appropriate format - any textures and additional effects you might have made, as well as the model itself along with an optional portrait.
    • All custom textures necessary for your model to work properly if applicable.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of each model in your submission, before the deadline, as proof that they are yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest. This includes any animation, meshes, or textures made by other users before the official launch of the contest and material made by users not participating in the contest.
  • Judges may not participate
  • Your final submission must work ingame and be bug free.
  • Teamwork is allowed for up to two players.
  • The spawner must have the following animations:
    • Stand
    • Spell or Work or Channel (Spawning animation)
    • Death
    • Portrait Animations
  • The spawned unit must have the following animations:
    • Birth
    • Stand
    • Death
    • Portrait Animations
  • Structures must include Birth animation
  • Heroes must include Dissipate animation
  • Feel free to ask if you have any questions regarding the rules.
If a submission does not follow the model submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.
other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points.
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points.
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points.
  • Entry: 5 reputation points.
  • Judge: 5 reputation points.
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​
other_judges-png.311510

• The_Silent
  • Judge 2
  • Judge 3
other_contest_judging-png.311506

Mesh
How the mesh looks aesthetically? How are its proportions, its balance and scale? How coherent is polygon distribution?/10

Skin
How good is the wrap? Are custom textures appealing? Or how adequate are the in-game chosen textures? Is it blurry/stretched? Do the tones go well together?/10

Animations
How natural, smooth and appropriate are the animations? If they're custom, how well are they executed? Do they have physical coherence? Do they have character/personality? If they are imported, how appropriate was the animation choice? How hard is it to relate it to the original in that case?/10

Effects
How adequate are the particle/ribbon/etc effects added? Do they contribute to the model? Are they impressing? But are they added in a good measure? Did the model need more?/5

Theme
How well do the two models fit each other thematically? Do they complement each other? Is it clear which is the spawner and which is the spawnee?/10

Mechanics
How well does the model work in-game? Are the animations recognizable in-game? Does it feature attachments/footprints/collisions/etc? Is it fully selectable?/5

Creativity
How original is the general idea? How inventive is the execution? Does it fit the theme? Does it fit WC3 environment?/10

/60

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*JudgeScore/100)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 27th July 2019 and conclude on 15th September 2019 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: Heinvers

Previous Contest | Poll | Results | Next Contest

Due to low participation last contest, I slightly altered the theme to be less restrictive.

Last edited:
Level 14
Some big ideas to share:
1. Mushroom Giant or Tree spawning some mushroom people with clubs and swords.
2. Giant Tree Creature producing veggie men or fruitmen.
3. Light Core or Bright Portal-Like Entity or Anomaly spawning particle-form or ethereal beings like wisps or souls.
4. Black Thick Slime like tar or gooey substance producing lesser goo beings.
5. Jelly king spawning jelly minions.
6. Plastic factory producing plastic monochromatic soldiers or creatures.
7. Giant Mass of Flesh or Blob producing flesh husks or minions.
8. Tombraiser spawning limitless skeletons and mummies from pile of bones.
9. Ghost Machine or Portal spawning ghosts and sprites.
10. Hive-like thing or creature that broods and spawns flying alien creatures that swarm.
11. Pool of fire or mud spawning fire minions or beings of mud/clay.

Level 8
An idea: You can create a monster giant like pudge with some spider-egg on its body and by hit they crash and summon some spiders!
Another idea: You can create an evergreen tree guard that release some seeds that grow and create new evergreen tree gurads!

Level 14
I'd like to participate and I'm looking for a partner.

You cannot use material made before the contest.
Also, could this be explicitly added to the contest description/rules?
(I know it must be obvious for many of those who are taking part to the contest, but.. Originally I had been meaning to re-use animations or textures from already submitted material and thanks to this comment I now know I mustn't. Maybe I'm not the only one starting out with the wrong idea :p)

(Originally I had been meaning to re-use animations or textures from already submitted material and thanks to this comment I now know I mustn't.)
It is part of the "Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest" rule, but I'll make it clearer.

Edit: Done

Level 25
Just announcing that me and Stefan.K has joined forces.

Here's a peek at the Warlock. I'm trying to stay as true to erwt's original concept as I can. Feel free to poke me if I've done any mistakes that demands a good whipping for disrespecting the elders.

BE_Warlock_WIP1.png

Off-Topic
Just to be annoying about it; the rules doesn't exclude someone from joining more than one "team", strictly speaking. I.e. would it be okay for a texture artist to work for two teams at the same time? I know it sounds derpy, but I'd be up for it in future contests, but this already features two meshes per entry and that's probably all I can muster at the moment.

ye hey me too

(I know it must be obvious for many of those who are taking part to the contest, but.. Originally I had been meaning to re-use animations or textures from already submitted material and thanks to this comment I now know I mustn't. Maybe I'm not the only one starting out with the wrong idea :p)

Why don't you two join forces? ^^

@Arowanna I will permit it as long as you're not working with another contestant in the meantime or after that. The issue with raised question is that if you do then I'd have to give you two medals if your teammates get in top three.

Long story short, no. You will only work with a teammate, not switching teams as you please.
Hopefully that answers your question ^_^

Good luck to you and @Stefan.K , I'm sure it'll be a blast :]

@Mythic @PROXY awesome works.

@Direfury where is your upcoming entry? >:]

Level 51

Looks cool, keep it up!

Alright, a bit of an early WIP:
73ac77d47c.png

Still gotta iron out a few kinks, I haven't done this in a while...

I'm really loving everyone's progress, by the way; really looking forward to seeing those bad boys finished. :thumbs_up:

Glad to have you back on track mate! awesome choice of textures, took me a while to see the sorceress texture in there. Keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.