1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Modeling Contest #31 - Spawners and Spawned [Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by The_Silent, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I don't know what the heck I'm supposed to do with that guy, just that I want to do it really badly.

2. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Swarm of Rats confirmed for next WoW Xpac!

3. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looks dope, Grendel. :thumbs_up:
    I think I should note though that it seems like we are only supposed to create one spawned unit model, I don't know if making more than one is against the rules.

4. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Contest requirements do not forbid it.

5. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I sense small people with pointed noses or small rat humanoid armed with spears or wood weapons.

6. -Grendel

-Grendel

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    upload_2019-8-17_20-17-29.png
    upload_2019-8-17_20-20-36.png

one of his minions. its a parasite worm that uses other bodies as kinda like a way to attack. i think i'll make another one that has retained the host's legs and a dive bomb insect just like i mentioned before. also, i'll change the plague rider beak into just a gas mask 'cos i don't think parasite worms will fit into the plague doctor concept.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  7. Stefan.K

Stefan.K

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Lol, that looks scary! Wait, does it use Hydralisk's animations?

8. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Ooh, freaky.

9. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice. Strong Resident Evil vibes.

I'll just bring this up one more time though:

This is in the contest's description... The reason I'm talking about this is I'm not sure how judging would work if we're allowed to make as many spawned units as we'd like. It doesn't seem like a fair playground to be honest. It would also be the first modelling contest without an explicit limit on the amount of models submitted (usually one, I think we had at least one other contest where two models were required but I can't remember).

I'm sorry if this comes off as an attack against your entry, -Grendel, that's not my intention at all. I simply didn't consider the option that we might be allowed to create more than one spawned unit, and the more I think about it the more fairness and judging-based issues pop up in my head.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  10. -Grendel

-Grendel

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    no, no, no, its alright. i overlooked it too and just went ham on making stuff.
    "Contestants are to create two models. A spawner and a spawned unit. The combination can be a summoner and its summoned unit, a structure and the minions it spawns/trains, a master and its servant(s), or similar combination of 'creator' and 'created' unit."
    it said two models but the part "a master and its servant(s)" kinda confuses the heck out of me too as it clearly implies there its allowed to make two ore more variants of a spawned unit.
    should really clear the model count restriction once and for all.

11. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Initially, the idea was to create a single 'spawner' and single 'spawned' unit.

But, honestly, I do not see any harm in having multiple spawned units, as it does not give an advantage over putting the same additional effort into other aspects of the models. More animations, better skin, flashier particles, etc. All means a better end product. You spend more time, so you get a better result.
    Also, we get more awesome models here on the hive to have fun with in our maps. This is just my opinion though.

If anyone feels like this gives them a serious disadvantage, feel free to speak up. I'll fix the rules tomorrow evening depending on the general consensus of the contestants. You can write to me privately, if you don't feel like spamming up the contest thread.

12. Direfury

Direfury

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    So, I'm just gonna move ahead with my entries' animations for now, and tackle the texture later, unless someone is interested in teaming up, and taking care of that for me.

[​IMG]

13. Ether

Ether

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Beautiful
    and eww, I would not cross something like that on the road. Looks infectious and creepy. Reminds me of the Thing creatures.

@Direfury
    Very nice rock creature. Hmmm... I think minions will be like golemlings or rocklings ;P

14. Deolrin

Deolrin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    @Direfury
    Love that beard stroke. If I may offer a suggestion, perhaps slow down some of those animations, to give them and the giant more weight. He is a mountain, after all! :smile:

15. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Quite impressive and joyful @Direfury :]
    @-Grendel reminds me of something from RE series as the guys mentioned before. As always, imposing feats.

16. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. The_Silent

The_Silent

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    RULES CONCLUSION
    We will keep the rules as originally intended. I've decided to do this for multiple reasons. Firstly, to provide a consistent 'contest environment' where rules does not change mid-contest. We don't want contestants to gain a sudden advantage, or disadvantage, because of unstable rules. Secondly, to make judging consistent. The additional work involved, and the issues surrounding having to judge an inconsistent number of models adds a layers of complexity to the judging process and makes the process less transparent.

The rules was originally intended to be interpreted as one spawner unit, and one spawned unit.
    I'm sorry for any issues this might have caused. Especially for contestants directly involved.

(Man, my english gets broken after a couple of revisions. It just gets worse and worse.)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  18. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Wonderful :]