• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #14 - Reforge, Don't Refund [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
hive-logo-m-png.335473

ct_techtree-png.311501
contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
4-png.311477

warcraft_iii_reforged_logo-more-orange-png.347564

optionally_paired-png.347924

Contestants are to recreate one of the default Warcraft 3 races, be it Human / Orc / Undead / Night Elf / Naga. Your submission must fit your chosen theme and share similar concepts with the original race.

In this contest, creativity will be rewarded higher than in previous contests. There are no real inherent limitations on what you can do - you could reimagine Orcs as a society of Wizards, the Undead as something thematically similar with drastically different gameplay, or the Humans as Bandits - you are only limited by your imagination, so get creative!
  • Entries are encouraged to be made in Reforged, but will not be penalized for being made in Classic.
  • Sub-races within a faction are allowed, like High Elves and Dwarves to Humans, Trolls and Tauren to Orcs. Mixing and matching should fit in thematically.
  • You are not required to follow Warcraft's actual lore or ideas.
  • Your faction must contain at least 8 non-hero units.
  • Your faction must contain at least 1 hero unit.
  • Your faction must contain at least 8 buildings (if your faction has more than 1 defense tower, they will all count as 1).
  • Submissions must specify whether they are intended for HD or SD.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• Submissions must follow the Map Submission Rules.
  • Submissions may not begin development before the contest start date.
  • Finding voice actors, or testers to test multiplayer mode isn't considered as teamwork, and is allowed.
  • You must download either of the provided template maps, make the edits, and resubmit it as entry.
  • Any map's features except its terrain may be edited. Editing the map's Marketplaces, Item Shops, and Taverns is allowed, too.
  • Post two (2) images/videos of your workflow Works In Progress (WIPs) to the Contest thread before the deadline, in order to prove your work.
  • The map must be playable in battle net. (current max map size is 256 MB, for example)
  • Using imports is allowed as long as it follows Resource Submission Rules (Models, skins, icons, spells).
  • The submission must be unprotected so that it's openable via the normal WorldEditor.
Techtree_14_Section.png

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 75 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 50 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
  • Entry: 5 reputation points
  • Judge: 15 reputation points per entry
The three winning teams will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.​

other_judges-png.311510

• Kam
  • [Open Position]

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Theme
How well the various elements of the Faction (including aesthetics, gameplay & design) fit together in a thematic manner such that they feel like they are representative of the given Faction, as well as that of the chosen Contest Theme. Well-fitting & polished aesthetics which complement a cohesive theme will be graded well; poorly-considered or lacking thematic elements will result in a poor score./10

Gameplay
How well the various elements of the Faction work together to achieve the tactical synergy & gameplay style the Faction has, as well as how efficiently each element performs its particular function. Strategic systems that endow an identity to the Faction, comprehensive & well-though-out roles which complement a cohesive Faction will be graded well; ill-considered, insufficient or over-compensating roles will lose points./10

Balance
Indicates how comparable the Faction is in terms of 'playability'; i.e. the ideal Faction should win/lose 50% of the time against others of it's class. Overpowered or Underpowered units/heroes/abilities/etc will result in a poor score; properly balanced elements will result in a good score./5

Creativity
How original the design of the Faction is in terms of innovative ideas, clever implementations, or creative concepts. Innovation and creativity will be rewarded; extensive re-use of existing elements in vanilla factions & poor originality will result in a poor score./15

/40

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 25th of February 2020 and conclude on 7th of May 2020 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: Mythic

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Attachments

• (4)tidewaterglades_lv.w3x
    177.3 KB · Views: 238
  • (4)TidewaterGlades.w3x
    205.6 KB · Views: 218
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 35
@Mythic @Spellbound

other_entries-png.311509

ContestantProgressEntries
Riki Martin1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6Nightscale Tribe
WolfFarkas1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5Mor'shan Council
xYours Trulyx1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Seraphic Union
Daffa & Directive2551 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5The Last Revolt
MyPad1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10Death and Taxes
AMarkov1 | 2 | 3 | 4Army of Azjol-Nerub
Xelos & Asssssvi1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5Kul Tiras
Leods1 | 2 | 3 | 4Name
Mr. Henci1 | 2Name
SgtNutz1 | 2Three-Skulls Troll Tribe
Moonman1 | 2 | 3 | 4Emerald Nightmare
Spellbound & Wazzz1 | 2 | 3The Secret Grove
Pual1 | 2Name
Ether1 | 2Pandemonium
Retera1 | 2Name
Name1 | 2Name

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 27
I am interested in joining again and I'll try to do a Naga faction this time, but in Classic game (I hope there are not problem with this).

Although I have doubts because the description says that we can create a faction only limited by our imagination, but also that the created race must share similarities with the original one. My question is how much and in what sense should it be similar to accomplish with rules.

Level 35
Classic will be fine.

As for the rules, if you are designing a Naga race, you should be completely fine with bringing in new mechanics, new gameplay styles, that sort of thing - ideally it will fit in with the Warcraft 3 format, but you can pretty much go ham with the ideas there. I hope that helps to clear it up a little :)

Also, Naga is a very nice choice, especially for this map - nice bit of water around to work with :D

Level 35
Apparently he did alert Spellbound a while ago that he wouldn't have enough time with the upcoming release of Reforged, but has also stated that he will likely have more free time in approximately 1.5 to 2 months. So we set the deadline to be about 2 months from now, so he should be alright by then.

Level 29
but not reforge.
Such a freaking advertising name for a contest.

mmm well, yeah or, meh, whatever

Perfect, I'll begin soon.
I'm having another trouble, because my 1.27b editor can't open the provided template map, so I'm wondering if it's a Reforged template. If so, can I use the original map of my version?
Yeah, absolutely. I guess it might be a compatibility issue, but I think you should have the same map available in previous version, so that works.
It's a different one in the older patch. This one has _lv suffix that does not exist in previous patches.

@Mythic

-may I ask you confirmation about this, since you are the appointed staff,
if we (those using classic old editor) are allowed to use an older version of the map presented in the contest frontpage due to compatibility.? even if the LV version is different from the old one?

Last edited:
Level 29
@WolfFarkas You may use the old pre-LV map. I've added it to the main post.

thanks a lot for the fast response and for adding the old version in the frontpage

I am doing Reforged Horde: Trolls and Orcs (no taurens)
Thrall horde faction after defeating Mannoroth.
My Horde faction will be more: holy, nature, spiritual, arcane, astral,::::: against evil, dark, fel, undead, corruption.

Last edited:
Level 29
I was thinking in a (orc based) Forest, tribal and Zandalari trolls, very related with Loas and nature gods, sacrifices (yeah, I love sacrifices), etc. I'm not sure if that idea is allowed.

thanks a lot for the fast response and for adding the old version in the frontpage

I am doing Reforged Horde: Trolls and Orcs (no taurens)
Thrall horde faction after defeating Mannoroth.
My Horde faction will be more: holy, nature, spiritual, against evil, dark, fel, undead.

-and I choose Horde because the amount of models and icons is quite very few, a pain to do the buildings. :(
-I just finished the units selection, (no sacrifices, I hate sacrifices, my horde tend to be more civilizated)

@Leods

about your idea I understand that we can reforge 1 of the main 5 races: HORDE, HUMAN, UNDEADS, NIGHT ELVES and NAGA. trolls, dwarves, taurens are subraces that belongs to the main 5, so I not shure if we can do a pure troll race or pure tauren race, @Wazzz correct me or explain us please. (I am kinda lost).

WIP 1

upload_2020-2-25_17-2-56.png

Last edited:
Level 35
Up to you if they both work for you - ideally it's the lv one, but if that is incompatible with the version you are running, then the other is fine. I'm not sure if the lv one is purely for Reforged, or if it works well with 1.31 - I think it might be the latter, but don't quote me on that, I could be mistaken.

Up to you if they both work for you - ideally it's the lv one, but if that is incompatible with the version you are running, then the other is fine. I'm not sure if the lv one is purely for Reforged, or if it works well with 1.31 - I think it might be the latter, but don't quote me on that, I could be mistaken.

I got the "Level info" error trying to open the lv one. What's the difference between that and the non-lv one?

Level 35
From what I can tell it's mostly a slight repositioning of things, with slight differences in Creeps. Like one version has 16 Dark Troll Berserkers in total, the other has 8, but the total number of creeps only differs by 1. There's also one less Stag in the lv version than there is in the non-lv version. I think the maps would ultimately play differently, but not so differently that it defeats the purpose of using either version.

From looking it up, "lv" apparently stands for "ladder version", so the non-lv one isn't on the ladder.

Level 9
@WolfFarkas, thanks for the invite.

I will be happy to take part in the competition, but ...
First, I’ll clarify some points with the organizers of the contest:
1. Will the work done as part of my project "WarCraft Legends" and adapted specifically for the competition be accepted?
2. Is it critical that the work on the map has been going on since February 15, 2020?
3. Does race balance count for classic races? (Alliance, Orcs, Undead, Night Elves)
4. Only one race at a time can be displayed in one map?

@AMarkov
1. Reusing your code, concepts, and ideas is alright. But for all else, you must start anew.
2. Clarified in the main post:
Rules said:
Submissions may not begin development before the contest start date.
3. The default races hover around 50% win rate, and that is the ideal power level of the entries.
4. Your entry must be the only custom race included in your submission.

@xYours Trulyx there won't be a reduction. Both map versions are provided in the first post.

Level 29
WIP 2 buildings

upload_2020-2-26_9-44-21.png

Note: I didnt want to use wc2 orc buildings (except cannon tower), and not lord of the ring orc buildings.
so well I like the straw use (hu influence), since my idea is a more "civilizated horde" after defeating mannoroth and make alliance with the alliance.
not many orc buildings with a proper icon, there was a couple of cool models that I couldnt make work after a lot of tries, and did everything by the manual, .
not many building icons (I am using wc2 icons).
but I finished the buildings model selection

note: female great mage troll, blue skin, red hair, there is no icon for that, by miracle I found 1 that can pass but has no ssc.blp sorry.

Progress: already got all unit and building icons, (remains to put the building icons in the editor,
I have all unit names, working on building names.
I have the t1 melee skills defined.

upload_2020-2-26_10-10-11.png

T1-Gatherer: gather wood and gold, can only build t1 hall, farm and altar.
T1-Tower Builder: can only build towers.
T1-Taskmaster: weak melee t1 unit, builds all the rest of buildings,
T1-Supply wagon: mobile lumber site, it also serves as a weak siege t1 unit. I think it will have good armor, but when attack as ram, is harmed itself too. good for a T1 rush strategy
T1-Geomancer: T1 ranged unit, weak but has reincarnation. and it will have something more.

T2-Freelancer Peltast: t2 ranged, better than Geomancer.
T2- Uhlan Raptor: T2 melee better than taskmaster.
T2- Support Cannon: T2 siege ranged, I have like 3 skills ideas.
T2- Besieger: T2 melee siege, is the turtle troll, it has many posibilities.
T2- Thunder sage: t2 caster.
T2- Spiritual Bishop: t2 caster.
T2- Drakarys Rider: good all round Air unit.
T2- Sky Sentinel: anti air focus

T3 Orc Embasy upgrade choise:

T3- Maiden: T3 melee caster. stronger than white berserk, but anti unit
T3- Shock Gladiator: T3 siege melee.
T3- Wolfmaster Peltast: T3 ranged, powerfull.

T3 Troll Embasy upgrade choise:

T3- White Berserk: T3 melee caster. anti hero unit with anti hero skills
T3- Mounted Axeman: T3 sword melee.
T3- Forest Stalker: T3 ranged, focus in abush, hide, run, weaker than the wolfmaster peltast.

Heroes:

Gold Templar: melee inteligence hero.
Arcanist: ranged inteligence hero.
Spell Fencer: melee agility hero.
Frontier Knigth: melee strong mounted hero.

Total so far: 19 units, 18 buildings, 4 heroes.

note: I focus in select unit/buildings models and icons fast(orcs and troll pages have few material compared to HU or ELF), so I can work the triggered spells with time and mindfully.

Last edited:
Level 29
I'll be making a Human race that is very devoted to their religion. @Wazzz, does this actually fit the theme?

View attachment 348204

IMO yes, seems clearly a Reforge of Humans/Alliance WC3 faction.

Is a semi-futuristic race with magic fits the theme? @Wazzz

an alternate version of the current Warcraft 3 races, be it Human/ Orc/ Undead/ Night Elf/ Naga. The race created must fit the name of the race you picked and must share similar concepts with the original one.

subjetive IMO IMO IMO: the only restriction that I understand is: that you design your race, and audience have to recognice wich faction of the original WC3 was reforged.

being that said:
- I would not mix orcs with humans, or trolls with dwarves.
- I wouldnt do prottoss.

for Magitech:
- I would avoid spacecraft/starcraft. Starcraft Terran, I am not shure that will Relate to the Humans of Warcraft 3.

but crystalist, steam/magic weapons. I dunno mmm dalaran magic tech. I think is very realistic idea,

a screen preview or another game screen idea to show us your "magictech" idea will shure help @Wazzz to see if is acurate (a screen worths more than 100 words).

Level 35
I'm not entirely sure what Wolffarkas just said, but as he actually doesn't have any authority over the theme or the contest, it's probably best to overlook it.

Religious Humans is absolutely fine, as for a semi-futuristic race, that will also be fine depending on the race chosen. I'll be curious to see what you come up with :)

Level 29
I'm not entirely sure what Wolffarkas just said, but as he actually doesn't have any authority over the theme or the contest, it's probably best to overlook it.

Religious Humans is absolutely fine, as for a semi-futuristic race, that will also be fine depending on the race chosen. I'll be curious to see what you come up with :)

yes, sorry, I stated it was a subjetive IMO: in my opinion, so please overlook it.

upload_2020-2-27_21-23-53.png

upload_2020-2-27_22-12-6.png

upload_2020-2-28_19-22-4.png

a little hint for icons: go to the icon section and search for key words like, hammer, holy, resurrection, divinity, that reduce the time looking in the sea of icons (helps a lot).

I have this idea:
the "superweapon building cast far sigth or some sort,
the support cannon can cast a long range salvo in T3 so you can hit them from very far away, but cannon cant be used again ( cant attack and can not even move) for (experimental) 50 secs. ideal to kill 1 enemy peon and harm a little their economy or just give them a wake up call.
-also I want the cannon to launch a medical supply that also is ideal to send it to the ally base. or where your army is far away.
I also want it to launch mines or a small napalm strike, I dunno, I really like this unit.

Last edited:
I'm making an unusual training system.
Barracks can train units as usual, but instead will redirect the training process to the nearest available Commoner. Commoners spawn along with their Shanty, and a new Commoner will appear when the old one dies or be trained after 20 (experimental) seconds.

As a religious race, Commoners will also give tithes to the player, generating +1 gold every 5 seconds.

Commoners are also alarmed when they see a nearby battle, joining in the fight with mere farm tools and bare fists.

They can't be controlled and will perform idle tasks (as seen below) when they are not doing anything.

WIP2.png

There's also an upgrade to the Disciples that gives them bonus damage reduction and golden armor for a few seconds, so that they can stay relevant in the long run.

WIP3.png

Level 29

My idea is a "deep-sea" Naga faction, very adapted to the darkness of this environment. This will seriously affect their gameplay style as they will fight better at night thanks to the absence of light.

I really praise you for doing naga , is quite a challange

I'm making an unusual training system.
1-Barracks can train units as usual, but instead will redirect the training process to the nearest available Commoner. Commoners spawn along with their Shanty, and a new Commoner will appear when the old one dies or be trained after 20 (experimental) seconds.

As a religious race, Commoners will also give tithes to the player, generating +1 gold every 5 seconds.

Commoners are also alarmed when they see a nearby battle, joining in the fight with mere farm tools and bare fists.

2-They can't be controlled and will perform idle tasks (as seen below) when they are not doing anything.

View attachment 348301

There's also an upgrade to the Disciples that gives them bonus damage reduction and golden armor for a few seconds, so that they can stay relevant in the long run.

View attachment 348302

You impresed me with your creativity!!!

1- I dont recall such system in any RTS game, so I really praise your method.!!!!!

2) very clever idea!!, I only recall 1 game doing that. Rising Kingdoms.

7.jpg

In rising kingdoms you capture neutral camps, and after capture, those camps spawns guards that you dont control but they defend your camp.

such fun, keep them coming!!. cant wait to see UD and NE coming to the play.

Last edited:
I really praise you for doing naga

You impresed me with your creativity!!!

1- I dont recall such system in any RTS game, so I really praise your method.!!!!!

2) very clever idea!!, I only recall 1 game doing that. Rising Kingdoms.

7.jpg

In rising kingdoms you capture neutral camps, and after capture, those camps spawns guards that you dont control but they defend your camp.

such fun, keep them coming!!. cant wait to see UD and NE coming to the play.

I have this idea:
the "superweapon building cast far sigth or some sort,
the support cannon can cast a long range salvo in T3 so you can hit them from very far away, but cannon cant be used again ( cant attack and can not even move) for (experimental) 50 secs. ideal to kill 1 enemy peon and harm a little their economy or just give them a wake up call.
-also I want the cannon to launch a medical supply that also is ideal to send it to the ally base. or where your army is far away.
I also want it to launch mines or a small napalm strike, I dunno, I really like this unit.

I've played Rising Kingdoms before. It's quite fun and the soundtrack is a bomber. Too bad the game is very buggy and the devs stopped working on it.

Can latecomers still join the contest? I'd like to, and my theme is

Death and Taxes

- Base Race: Undead
- Race Strategy: They act as a supportive race in a teamfight, enforcing taxes on enemy races, confiscating gold mines and neutral buildings, placing bounties on certain units unfortunate enough to be unable to pay their taxes, and possibly more. Due to this, players using this race would generally expand aggressively to confiscate possible gold mines and prevent expansions from being too prominent. They would naturally avoid killing units by themselves, and let their allies do the killing for them.

Not suitable for 1v1.

- Race Hero Ideas:
Lich
- Unlike the magical fantasy version of the Lich, this incarnation of Lich is a grumpy corporate executive, who just happens to possess magical powers related to gold and lumber.
- 1st Skill - Do you pay your Taxes?
- This skill stuns and forces the enemy target unit to face the Lich. Based on how many units that target has killed beforehand, the Lich may either decide to let the target go or place a bounty on their head.
- To make the Lich place a bounty, the target must kill at least 4/3/2 enemy units beforehand.
- This bounty can be collected either by the Lich's allies or enemies. If collected by an enemy, the bounty will be transferred to the killing unit and no gold or lumber will be lost. If collected by an ally, gold and lumber will be deducted based on the bounty's price.

- 2nd Skill - Terms and Conditions
- Places a set of rules onto a target unit, restricting its' behavior. If it behaves well with the rules, the owner of the unit receives some additional 5/7/10 gold or 2/3/5 lumber. If it doesn't, it dies, and the corpse it leaves behind is transformed into the undead.
- Two Sets of Rules will be in place, and either one may be chosen.
- 1st Set of Rules
- The target must not have more than 90% current hitpoints.
- The target cannot receive more than 15/10/5 damage instances in 5/5/5 seconds.
- The target must not cast more than 2 spells.
- 2nd Set of Rules
- The target must kill at least 4/3/2 units. Killing allied units will not count.
- The target must not move 0.25/0.25/0.25 seconds after receiving the terms and conditions.

Last edited:
Level 9
In order not to have an advantage over other participants, I begin to develop a new race (as part of my WarCraft Legends project, but under the terms of the competition). My race will be called "Knights of the Silver Hand", led by...
Uther.png

"The Light shine on us all" © Uther the Lightbringer

The Knights of the Silver Hand have unique mechanics that distinguish them from the original Alliance race:
The construction of the "Altar of Light" (a replacement for farms) fills the level of Faith, which increases the effectiveness of troops and casting spells.

And immediately WIP #1

Uther and 2 Silver Hand Recruits
This unit has an initial mana equal to% of the player’s Faith and ability - Divine Shield (modified Mana Shield), which helps absorb more damage.
Uther.jpg

P.S. @xYours Trulyx, I understand that in view of a similar style, we will be direct competitors. I wish you and all other contestants unlimited imagination and good luck!

In order not to have an advantage over other participants, I begin to develop a new race (as part of my WarCraft Legends project, but under the terms of the competition). My race will be called "Knights of the Silver Hand", led by...
View attachment 348337
"The Light shine on us all" © Uther the Lightbringer

The Knights of the Silver Hand have unique mechanics that distinguish them from the original Alliance race:
The construction of the "Altar of Light" (a replacement for farms) fills the level of Faith, which increases the effectiveness of troops and casting spells.

And immediately WIP #1

Uther and 2 Silver Hand Recruits
This unit has an initial mana equal to% of the player’s Faith and ability - Divine Shield (modified Mana Shield), which helps absorb more damage.
View attachment 348338

P.S. @xYours Trulyx, I understand that in view of a similar style, we will be direct competitors. I wish you and all other contestants unlimited imagination and good luck!

Oh man, I was about to come up with a Faith system as well that improves the unit's battle prowess. I know it's not exactly plagiarism, but it feels like that to me ;-;. Well, I don't feel original anymore, so maybe I'll have to switch ideas. Goodbye hours of work done

Level 9
xYours Trulyx, Until it's too late, we can agree. I have many ideas for races, I have been developing ideas since 2018. Therefore, let's do this - so as not to cause direct competition (confrontation of interests) of our races, I will change the race for the competition. Do you agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.