• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #14 - Reforge, Don't Refund [Optionally Paired]

Status
Not open for further replies.
xYours Trulyx, Until it's too late, we can agree. I have many ideas for races, I have been developing ideas since 2018. Therefore, let's do this - so as not to cause direct competition (confrontation of interests) of our races, I will change the race for the competition. Do you agree?

What a relief. I hate to let the work done go to waste. Hope you'll find something new soon.

I mean, you can both do Faith systems, it doesn't necessarily mean the outcome will be the same.

Yes, but I prefer originality. And also less competition.

Level 9
@Wazzz, I agree, but in any case, we become direct competitors. I think - since a person was the first to declare such a race, then I can change my choice. During the day I will introduce a new race for the contest (with other mechanics). It will not be unprofitable for me.
@xYours Trulyx, I am glad that we have come to a similar decision. Continue to create, I do not want to become a direct competitor. Thanks.

Level 17
All hands on deck, kultirans join the contest.
kultirans.png

Level 29
I hesitate between :
☼ Industrial revolution Nagas
☼ Industrial revolution Elves
☼ Industrial revolution Orcs
☼ My self insert Humans alternate
☼ Un-undead (mix between human and undead).

What do you think ?

I would suget (IMO IMO IMO, subjetive) Industrial Revolution Elves for 3 reasons: 1)there is no Elves focus player so far 2) the Elves has a motorbike Kaelthas mounted that will shure fit your theme. also elves have the flying skyship model. 3) elves have the major amount of models and icons, a lot of material to be used.

Triggers for the commoner system.

jass code? mmm, sound like an unfixed bug of the 1.31 v.

Last edited:
Level 9
I chose a new army. And that ...
Anub'arak.png

The strands of destiny weave only a web of death

Role: Ambush, Defense, Support

Mechanics: Collect Nerubian relics on the battlefield, opening access to advanced Nerub technologies

Strengths:

- stealth
- good magical potential
- rapid technological growth

Weaknesses:
- low attack speed of troops
- low health reserve of troops
- the difficulty of mining Nerubian relics

WIP #1
AnubarakWIP1.jpg

Level 29
Why would I do that when I was doing digging for artifacts gosh darn it I could cuss up a real storm

Ah I was thinking you also were doing nerubians

so was the digging artifacts mechanich...

welll mmm, how about change it to scroll recipes or crystal growing and harvest, or instead of digging artifacts enchant the artiffacts?

upload_2020-2-29_11-39-21.png

skill 1: an attack that depending on the life of the hero, will become invisible.
skill 2: learn spell: acording to the player gold amount, the more powerfull is the spell learned.
skill 3: frost armor with combo with another passive effects and blablabla,
skill 4: summon magic cristal, the cristal attack and multiplies itself.

upload_2020-2-29_12-20-18.png

I like the idea that my strong hero is a troll and not an orc.

skill 1: glaive attack and blablabla.
skill 2: summon raptors that become feral at some point during battle attaking anything and having their attack increase in feral mode., they become fully tamed at level3.
skill 3: charge,
skill 4: storms a building damaging it, if target is a tower, is captured.

Race name: Mor`shan Council

Theme: Disciplined Horde: a more disciplined horde in laws, life-ideology and organization.

The old ways of the horde were every warrior by himself, they even kill each other when they were not at war, they just raze, kill and destroy. Guldan was evil, he only care for fel and corrupt life, and the horde followed him. Grom Hellscream also did seek to embrace the old ways, by drinking Mannoroth blood and slaugther the NE.

Now that Thrall has become Highchief of the Horde and founded Ogrimmar, orcs and trolls seek to learn and build, they want to have the same knoledge as the druids of the nigth elves or the same managment as the ambassadors of the alliance. They seek co-existance, but they want to show they are a powerfull nation and that nobody should mess with them.
The old clans organizations is replaced with more human alike organizations such as councils, embasy, industrial farms, and they like/accept the foreign merchants of any kind.

Subraces: orcs, trolls.

Mor`shan is an horde enclave in northern barrens, in the limit with Ashenvale (wow).

fictional lore:

This small enclave has grown bigger enough to be considered an important faction of the Horde.

Afinity/ likes: magic (holy, astral, arcane, spiritual, nature, pray-blessings), technology improves, knoledge-wisedom, honor, ranks, laws-justice, civilization/management/organization, tamed creatures. strategy, defend territory, merchants, peace

Dislikes/hates: dark,unholy, chaos, fel, evil,bandits-rogues-outlaws, pillage-crime, sacrifices blood spells, undeads, poisons, magic fire spells (exception for fire weapons such cannons tech), non-necesary wars, slaugther.

dislikes: undeads and naga.

@Wazzz

I think my theme was a bit so-so defined will this do?

Last edited:
Level 18
Hey over here.

Two things:

- I'm a big fan of your work everyone, keep it up!

- I see there's an open Judge seat. Is that really "open"? Can I ask to be a judge? I've already been a jury for game design related stuff. I'm up to chat on Discord. But I'm in France (so big time difference).

In any case, gl and hf for your contest and projects everyone :) <3

Hey over here.

Two things:

- I'm a big fan of your work everyone, keep it up!

- I see there's an open Judge seat. Is that really "open"? Can I ask to be a judge? I've already been a jury for game design related stuff. I'm up to chat on Discord. But I'm in France (so big time difference).

In any case, gl and hf for your contest and projects everyone :) <3

You'll have to discuss with the host/assigned staff for that.

Thanks to the dudes down at the WE Help Zone, I was able to retrieve back my map. Props to them for figuring out so quickly.

Last edited:
Level 11
I am at home again!
And in a few hours, I have 4 units and the defensive structure almost ready:
WC3ScrnShot_030120_000512_03.jpg
Here we have the first melee and ranged units (unlike the other races, you have 2 1st tier production structures (cheap and fast to create, but with 750 max HP), the first one with the Horde slaves, and the second one with ranged trolls), the basic worker (very fast, with more life, and a very low ranged damage. Takes 10 lumber every 10 seconds, with a 50 limit, and 8 max gold. It creates the basical structures, but you will use another one for a variety of special structures, the totems), a 2nd or 3rd (I am not sure) troll abomination excellent with amounts of units, and the basic tower and totem, the classical snake tower, with a lot of damage and burning area damage (like phoenix). The totems are unmanageable structures with low HP and powerful structures. The summoning of specifical Loas gives yyou a temporaly chance of creating new totems, as new limited special units (per example, summoning Krag'wa comes with three giant frogs, impossible to obtain by other means).

Gotta post this finding here (about abilities)
JASS:
native BlzStartUnitAbilityCooldown takes unit whichUnit, integer abilId, real time returns nothing

This native, not visible through common.j, allows one to freely start the cooldown of any given ability id.
I think this was just introduced in the reforged versions.

This might give some people some creative ideas on this contest.

Level 35
Oh, that command is also available in GUI, and so is altering the Cooldown of abilities
All of that might be a Reforged thing as you suggest, though, but it's definitely cool to have

@WolfFarkas Sounds fine to me, I think it was pretty decent before, too, but it's a work in progress like all entries will be, so it will get more defined over time.

@xYours Trulyx ah that is awesome news, must be a relief after that :p

@Goffterdom I think @Mythic and myself are definitely open to the possibility of another judge, so we'd like to see a bit of how you do and get a bit of a feel for what we can expect :)

Level 9
Hi everybody! Today I will tell you more about the central mechanics of Anub'arak - "Nerubian relics"

This feature allows the Anub'arak army to discover new research. In order to find an obelisk with Nerubian relics, you need to activate the "Search". Spiders will point the way to your Obelisk.
WC3ScrnShot_030120_121148_001.jpg WC3ScrnShot_030120_121210_001.jpg
Having found Obelisk it needs to be activated.
WC3ScrnShot_030120_121216_001.jpg
At this moment, all players will find out about your find and there is time to stop you. If you fail to save the Obelisk, do not despair, after a while a new Obelisk will be available to you. An activated Obelisk brings 1 Nerubian Relic. The more relics - the more Nerubians technologies you get.

As an entertainment, I’ll leave you this comic, I hope it will amuse you.
NerubianRelics.png

Level 29
@WolfFarkas Sounds fine to me, I think it was pretty decent before, too, but it's a work in progress like all entries will be, so it will get more defined over time.

thanks, good to know.

I am at home again!
And in a few hours, I have 4 units and the defensive structure almost ready:
View attachment 348434
Here we have the first melee and ranged units (unlike the other races, you have 2 1st tier production structures (cheap and fast to create, but with 750 max HP), the first one with the Horde slaves, and the second one with ranged trolls), the basic worker (very fast, with more life, and a very low ranged damage. Takes 10 lumber every 10 seconds, with a 50 limit, and 8 max gold. It creates the basical structures, but you will use another one for a variety of special structures, the totems), a 2nd or 3rd (I am not sure) troll abomination excellent with amounts of units, and the basic tower and totem, the classical snake tower, with a lot of damage and burning area damage (like phoenix). The totems are unmanageable structures with low HP and powerful structures. The summoning of specifical Loas gives yyou a temporaly chance of creating new totems, as new limited special units (per example, summoning Krag'wa comes with three giant frogs, impossible to obtain by other means).

so your theme could be: Totemic Horde?, you know totem focus?
or it was tribal horde?

me being curious.

Hi everybody! Today I will tell you more about the central mechanics of Anub'arak - "Nerubian relics"

This feature allows the Anub'arak army to discover new research. In order to find an obelisk with Nerubian relics, you need to activate the "Search". Spiders will point the way to your Obelisk.
View attachment 348451 View attachment 348449
Having found Obelisk it needs to be activated.
View attachment 348452
At this moment, all players will find out about your find and there is time to stop you. If you fail to save the Obelisk, do not despair, after a while a new Obelisk will be available to you. An activated Obelisk brings 1 Nerubian Relic. The more relics - the more Nerubians technologies you get.

As an entertainment, I’ll leave you this comic, I hope it will amuse you.
View attachment 348453

the obelisk spawns at random all over the map, or defined spawns in key points such as creep positions?
me just being curious
nice idea by the way, It remembers me seven kingdoms conquest, there was some soulstones guarded by creeps or not, and you had to go with mages to harvest the soulstones to get soul power tu summon crayzy stuff. I am not saying you take the idea from Seven kingdoms conquest,almost nobody played that game,

upload_2020-3-1_12-46-20.png

ok now my stuff.
Yesterday my brain cells were dry so I quit editor.
today I decided to take my Uhlan Raptor and say, cool skill, cool skill, comon, come to me, a cool idea for this unit, stare the unit helps.

upload_2020-3-1_14-33-16.png

while you take your time to search what Uhlan is in google, I will explain:
The Uhlan raptor has an upgrade (called Frontier Control or Field Domination, Or Uhlan Blabla) that when you train 4 they get a bonus passive, when trained 6 you get a second passive, when, train 9 get a third passive, if a Uhlan if you have 9 and one unit is killed you lost the passive bonus, but keep the others and so on. is an upgrade, downgrade sistem.

Last edited:
Level 29
1-Oh, so sort of like a Pack Hunter effect?
2-I also find Raptor units to be difficult to come up with skills for.

Also, I am very interested to see how Zeratul Nerubian plays out, it sounds like a really interesting idea and the execution looks promising so far.

1- mmm pack effect yeah, some sort, but with 3 levels, I decided to do 3 levels:
4 units: L1 improve. (12 food)
6 units: L1 + L2 improve. (18 food)
9 units: L1+L2+L3 improve. (27 food)

2- yeah, Raptors tend to be chaotic, feral, and I want disicipline organization,so I want to think them as disciplined cavalry.
in my case sometimes happen to me, I get dry from ideas, thats when I quit and look other stuff to get inspiration.

Last edited:
Level 9
@WolfFarkas, the obelisk is created in one of a fixed set of points, which, depending on the number of relics, are activated further from the player’s starting position.
@Wazzz right. I borrowed the mechanics of Zeratul from the SC2 cooperative, but this is the only coincidence with the hero. I'm glad I reminded you of this RTS, but unfortunately, I did not play it.

Level 11
so your theme could be: Totemic Horde?, you know totem focus?
or it was tribal horde?
It will be a Troll Horde. Basically, after the aparición of the Zandalari as allied race (WoW), the hunt of power and the social troll thinking appears again in the Zandalar and the Darkspear. Then, they decide to make a civil war against orcs and tauren, winning it with the help of the Loas. Now, the empire of the Trolls has reborned, as like the other clans (Drakkari, Amani, Gurubashi, etc) and the Loas who was dead a long time ago are coming back thanks to the magic and the rituals om his honour. As like when Azeroth was young, the trolls rules over everything, and some few rebels of the Horde, the Alliance and the Undead are trying to survive.
That's the base story :) .
About totems, I am thinking from the totems of Wc3, the lore about Loas (hail Wowpedia) and some other stuff. Excluding the imaginary background story, I'm trying to be as faithful as is it possible to the wc Lore.
The techtree (call it Slaved Horde, or Troll managed Horde, I don't care) has tribal elements, as imperial indigene elements (based on ficticial factions as Zandalari, and real ones as Inca or Aztec ones)
It's very primitive and aggressive, but that's what happens when the most powerful empire of Azeroth see his leaders being killed by Murlocs or a random demon :).

Level 29
It will be a Troll Horde. Basically, after the aparición of the Zandalari as allied race (WoW), the hunt of power and the social troll thinking appears again in the Zandalar and the Darkspear. Then, they decide to make a civil war against orcs and tauren, winning it with the help of the Loas. Now, the empire of the Trolls has reborned, as like the other clans (Drakkari, Amani, Gurubashi, etc) and the Loas who was dead a long time ago are coming back thanks to the magic and the rituals om his honour. As like when Azeroth was young, the trolls rules over everything, and some few rebels of the Horde, the Alliance and the Undead are trying to survive.
That's the base story :) .
About totems, I am thinking from the totems of Wc3, the lore about Loas (hail Wowpedia) and some other stuff. Excluding the imaginary background story, I'm trying to be as faithful as is it possible to the wc Lore.
The techtree (call it Slaved Horde, or Troll managed Horde, I don't care) has tribal elements, as imperial indigene elements (based on ficticial factions as Zandalari, and real ones as Inca or Aztec ones)
It's very primitive and aggressive, but that's what happens when the most powerful empire of Azeroth see his leaders being killed by Murlocs or a random demon :).

ah a pure troll Horde, tribal , primitive and aggresive.

no my Horde is more lawfull-civilizated-, nothing alike :)

@WolfFarkas,
1-the obelisk is created in one of a fixed set of points, which, depending on the number of relics, are activated further from the player’s starting position.
@Wazzz right. I borrowed the mechanics of Zeratul from the SC2 cooperative,

2-but this is the only coincidence with the hero.

3-I'm glad I reminded you of this RTS, but unfortunately, I did not play it.

1- clever, it would be annoying to have the very first reliq just near enemy base. lol

2- IMO: Is very hard to think a mechanich not used before. I mean there are like pc 100 RTS, countless of wc3 altered melee/RPG/Survival wich also developed unique mechanichs
and when someone says I got this idea, yup Rising Kingdoms did the same or Seven kingdoms Conquest, or Command and conquer Generals, or Age of Mythology, or Imperium II punic wars, or Iron Horde Race by @Wa666r ... and so on...

3- edit: ah zeratul reliqs, mmm, it was SC 2 wings of liberty, the fragments of the profesy, well is not very different to gathering the 10 fragments of the shadow orb in the TFT Maiev campaign.

my progress: brain storm, stare looking the units and think, even pencil and paper.
-my superweapon building (yup to much EA influence) , far sigth/reavel combo with increase ranged attack of allies in that area for a certain ammount of time, it will be usefull to cast the spell where the army is ( a bit nothing overpowerfull), just to not have a pure vanilla far sight.
-death blow: if enemy unit life is equal or less than 8%, kill the unit. ideal for a T3 unit.
-Refund upgrade for X unit, an expensive one I hope (civil management), if the unit is killed, you get a bit of refund.
I will use it in my supply wagon and tower builder.

now I need 2 icons more...

Last edited:
Well, after quite a while, I've decided to post a WIP. This time it's the Commoner system.

They don't start with farm tools as weapons. Before you buy an upgrade, they just use their bare hands.

Their farm weapons are given at random. They will either get a Pitchfork, a Hand Axe or a Sickle.

Level 29
What are the odds that something that has the exact same name as my race has exists. Turns out there's a college somewhere in Britain that also goes by the name "Sterling Union". So, I request a name change.
Seraphic Union.

IMO: there are no such odds, if you ever played Age of empires 2, William Wallace campaign you would know or remember the battle of Sterling/Stirling Battle of Stirling Bridge - Wikipedia, where the Scotish army defeated the Ingland forces.
It was probably a common name 1000 years a go, so is only logic that now is still a common name for persons, streets and colleges.
Even in anime there was a character of name Maximillian Sterling. (Robotech).

I'm doing the game design for my race, the Confederate States of Kalimdor (CSK).
Not yet finished (at the time i'm writing this message) but you can check out and send me feedback.
[Just here] (tell me if the link is dead).

I like your way of doing things. You lay out your blueprints before actually starting. I hate that I focus waaay to much on the details.

Level 11
New WIP
WC3ScrnShot_030320_155609_01.jpg
Yeah, there are a lot of animals. That unit with glow effect, the Troll Warlord, isn't a Hero, but isn't exactly a normal unit. It's very strong, and has Hero armor and attack type. It has a Hero inventory, just with three empty spaces. It's the strongest Troll unit (troll, the Demosaur is strongest) and can mount a lot of beast and units created by the Loas.

@WolfFarkas I am really sad to hear that. You are pretty good, and I was hoping to see a civilizated Horde :(. Hope you get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.