• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Techtree Contest #17 - Swarm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
How'd you swing that? :eek:

I just used a damage detection system to cancel the damage and a loop to detect if the hero is targeted by a spell or attacked then remove buffs. The loop isn't perfect, because it removes buffs regardless if the hero had them before casting the ability.
Actually, I've been messing around with the damage detection system a lot for this race. Never used one before and I have to say its incredibly useful.

Hmm... sounds more like Amulet of Spell Shield to me, but I obviously don't know for sure.
I would've liked to just have used spell shield, but it only works for single target spells.

Progress report: I'm going to rework Packmaster. His summons were a little bit better than I thought they'd be...
Sensei and Skullrat
Ratfolk Screenshot1.png

Packmaster
Packmaster.png

Level 27
full

BTNUnbroken.png
VilespawnSmall melee unit, fragile individually but powerful in groups. Summoned in pairs. Can learn the Seething Evil ability.

BTNFacelessHuntsman.png
TaintedLight ranged unit, very effective in groups. Summoned in pairs. Can learn the Seething Evil ability.

BTNFacelessOneFlyer.png
GloomfiendLight flying creature with great potential against aerial enemies. Summoned in pairs. Has the Caustic Venom ability. Can learn Volatile Burst.

BTNFacelessOneSorcerer.png
WhispererPrimary spellcaster. Can initially cast Umbral Mending. Can also learn Void Barrier and Old Whispers.

BTNFacelessOneWitch.png
ManipulatorVersatile spellcaster. Can initially cast Twilight Eye. Can also learn Veil of Shadows and Dark Portrait.

BTNFacelessOneWeaver.png
PunisherAnti-spellcaster unit with Spell Immunity. Can initially cast Disperse. Can also learn Mind Flay and Psychic Shock.

BTNFacelessOne.png
VoidbringerLong-range siege creature. Exceptional damage versus buildings, but slow and vulnerable. Can learn the Nether Volley ability.

BTNFacelessMisshapen.png
MisshapenStrong melee unit. Can learn the Overpower ability.

BTNObscureDragon.png
NightmareHeavy flying creature. Can learn the Atrophy ability.

Level 21
WIP #2

Race name: Manapure

A swarm of various magic-crazed creatures, consumed by the energy of Pure Mana.

A mana-based race, where magic flows in everyone and through everyone. Creatures highly depend on mana and can share it between each other.
Unfortunately, Pure Mana doesn't often choose its victims. Thus, most of its servants have a weak magic potential (not only does their mana not replenish by itself, they slowly loose it with time).

Common features:
  • all creatures have a mana bar (even some structures). It doesn't mean that all of them can use magic - those who can't act as mana storages;
  • units can take mana from other creatures and structures owned by the player;
  • all creatures (and some structures) have a way of gaining and losing mana;
  • most (if not all) abilities have something to do with distributing mana, dealing damage with mana, or using opponent's mana against them.

Buildings & Units:
I have no idea how to do tabs in bb editor so here are tables in spoilers...

Pure Mana Fountain - main structure, can build other structures in a 900 radius, harvest gold form nearby goldmine (1 at a time). The structure is protected by a Fountain Guard, that appears whenever the fountain is under attack. Can be upgraded into Pure Mana Geyser, the into Pure Mana Fall. Can be bought as an "ivory" item at the Manashop. Stores up to 800/1000/1200 mana (no regen, starts with 0), and you can buy (replenish) 200 mana for 75 gold! Gives 15 food points.
Fountain GuardThis magical creature is summoned automatically everytime the fountain is under attack. Unfortunately, the creature can only spawn once in 5 minutes and only lasts 3 minutes.

Thunder Pillar - main unit structure. Focuses on melee and siege units, that normally cannot regenerate their mana.
Thunder HunterA melee siege unit, able to cast ''Purge'' and stun his enemies. Can learn to turn into a wolf.
Can only attack ground targets.
Loses mana with time.
Thunder Hunter (Wolf Form)Fast melee unit, invisible by default. Its attacks are much weaker (though a little bit faster) then in the regular form. And even though it can't use regular abilities, its mana is regenerating in this form, also accelerating the health regeneration.
Thunder KnightA melee unit, able to cast ''Magic Shield''. Can learn "Lightning Bolt".
Has no mana regen.
Faceless GathererThis huge melee siege unit converts all received damage into its mana. Can learn to hit nearby enemies when attacking its target.
Can attack ground and flying targets.
Loses mana with time.

Harvester - lumber structure, can harvest wood. Stores up to 400 mana (no regen, starts with 0). Replenishes its mana by harvesting wood. Contains structure & harvesting researches.

Mana Generator - research structure, increases mana regen of ally units & structures in a small radius by 0.5 points. Can train Manaspawns. Contains unit researches.
ManaspawnMagical being of pure mana, able to attack enemies on short distances. When coming in contact with the target, the pure energy of its missiles drains target's mana.
Loses mana with time.

Mana Well - food structure, can build other structures in a 700 radius. Stores up to 100 mana (no regen, starts with 0). Gives 8 food points.

Altar Of Magic - hero structure, can train 3 out of 4 heroes (and 1 secret hero). As of right now only one hero is complete, and only 3 have their concepts.
ManamotherA spawn of pure magic, made from special breed of ancient mana, able to reproduce to create more magic creatures. Can learn "Manaspawn", "Spectral Rise", "Spectral Return" and "Mother's Love".
ManaspawnConverts 50/55/60 mana of a target into a manaspawn that stays alive for 30/45/60 seconds. If the target doesn't have enough mana, deals 40/50/60 damage instead.
Spectral RiseReplenishes mana of every manaspawn in 400/500/600 radius by 25/30/35 points.
Spectral ReturnWhen a manaspawn dies in a 400/600/800 radius, it restores Manamother's health by 10/15/20 points and gives it all mana that manaspawn had.
Mother's LoveFor the next 30 seconds, a friendly manaspawn will appear for every spellcast in an 800 radius.

WitherAntimage-type hero, with abilities that get advantage of hostile mages.
Todo
Todo
EnvyReplenishes 10/15/20 mana for every nearby spellcast.
SilenceBlocks abilities of all enemies in a large area for 60 seconds.

Artist Of EnchantedHero, specialized in mana regen.
Todo
Todo
RemnantWhen Artist makes a kill, the killed unit leaves a mana sphere that immediately restores 25/40/55 mana. Can be picked up by any hero of any player.
Energy SphereSpawns a large magic sphere that regens mana of nearby allies. Sphere's health is equal to a total mana of all nearby units.

Hero Of TodoNothing to see here (yet), move along, soldier.

ShhhhecretIdk

Enchanted Temple - tier 2 unit structure, trains mainly ranged units with magic attack and mana regen.
ManadiggerThis ranged cobold can gather mana by damaging enemy structures. Apart from that, it can repair ally structures. Can learn to disspell the area.
Loses mana with time.
OverloaderThis ranged spirit can heal ally units in exchange for their mana. Can learn to explode on death.
Can attack ground and flying units.
SpelleaterA melee dragonspawn warrior, highly effective against hostile mages. Can use abilities like "Mana Burn" and "Devour Magic".

Manashop - shop structure, sells items, based around mana and magic. Stores up to 200 mana (no regen, starts with 0). Regens mana for every bought or sold item.

Manatower - defensive structure, can use ability Concentrated Magic, which depletes its mana for additional damage. Stores up to 200 mana (no regen, starts with 0). A research can increase mana capacity by 100 and add slow mana regen. Requires Harvester to build.

Magic Spire - flying unit structure.
Pretorian CrowDetecting unit. Todo description.
Pretorian EnchanterUnit, shielded from magic. Todo description.
DragonflyAstral-based unit. Todo description.

Screenshots:
(most of the icons are still wip, sry)

Level 27
Alright guys, this is my last WIP. I'm almost done with the entry, just missing the Hero's ultimate ability and a few tests to make sure everything works as expected.

WIP8.PNG

BTNMastermind.png
MastermindPrimary unit of the Faceless Ones armies. Can summon structures, units and upgrades to the battlefield.

This unit fulfills the role of both the builder and the Town Hall for the faction. It also has the objective of summoning units and upgrades through Rifts. Indirectly, it can gather lumber through a summoned creature called Creeper.

If your Mastermind dies, your Harbingers can manifest it once more.
BTNHeroHarbinger.png
HarbingerMystical Hero, essential for its supporting role. Can harvest gold from Twisted Gold Mines. Can learn Brain Spike, Soul Chain, Insanity Touch and MISSING ULTIMATE.

You start with all 3 of these already trained, so you must decide how you divide them to support your army in battle and collect the gold you will need.

Level 11
All right guys, i am actually alive!
And presenting the Old Gods Band!
WC3ScrnShot_032621_210231_01.jpg

I am pretty busy, but got some nice advances. I already have a hero and all the units, so i'm just missing most upgrades and items, and, if i get time enough, probably 1 or 2 extra heroes.
This techtree is conformed of most of the creatures from the Black Empire, so, fromup to down and left to rgiht, we have:
-The trees are corrupted trees, you get them by some specific spells, while corrupting the land. They destroy theirselfs to give you lumber, and provide food. Can be upgraded to Tentacles.
-The tentacles are defensive structures with ranged attack. They provide food, and don't destroy by time. They also have all the upgrades for your units.
-The small flying creatures are Nerubian flyers, they are great in big numbers and against other air units. Can be upgraed into Perforers.
-The big flying creatures are Perforers, massive melee creatures great against structures or low HP units. Can learn a spell that allows them to summon little spiders when killing an enemy unit.
-The big unit in the center is the Overlord. It's the essential part of the techtree, as it is the basic way to create all the base units (that get upgraded into better units later). If the Overlord dies, you loose the game.
-The eggs are very fragile and unmovable units, evolver from Amalgams, that can upgrade into "T1" (there aren't exactly tiers) units.
-The small faceless are Corrupters, essential ranged casters that can corrupt the land, heal units, or create weak creatures to defend theirselves. Can upgrade into Faceless destroyers.
-The Faceless destroyers are medium quality tank/siege melee units. They upgrade into the N'raqi Commander and the powerful Heralds of the Old Ones.
-The N'raqi commander (already finished) is a Tank Strenght melee Hero, great against massive amounts of small enemies. I have to work on a system to resurrect heroes...
-The stinger will be a Cunning hero, not done yet but i've the model and the base stats.
-The Scarab diggers are very fragile units, unable to attack. They are evolved from an egg (or created by a Broodmother) and can burrow (don't worry, they are still visible for everyone) near to a Gold Mine to extract gold from it. They can upgrade into a Tunneler.
-The Tunnelers are medium melee units, not very strong, but essential as they can burrow into a corrupted land, and carry units. When at least two Tunnelers are burrowed anywhere, they can interchange one with another, instantly teleporting the units they carry with them across the map. I am pretty proud of them tbh, they are very functional with a very easy system.
-The Nerubian Web Makers are the other unit evolved from an egg. They are very fast siege melee units, in big amounts can destroy lots of structures. They can cast Web, and evolve into Broodmothers.
-The Broodmothers are a central, but not obligatory unit. They aren't very good fighting, but can summon Web makers, scarabs and nerubian flyers, directly and without dying in the process. They can be extremely good in samll amounts to (if you have resources and keep this alive) resummon an army very fast in the middle of a battle.
-The Heralds of the Old Ones (whoopsie, they don't appear in the screenshot, but they have the same model than the small units on the last WIP of Riki, with the difference of being way bigger) are the last and most powerful unit on the techtree (maybe on the game). They take huge amounts of time to be evolved, and cost 10 food and over 600 gold, but have 2500 HP, around 100 chaos damage, a stable movement speed, and, if you activate an upgrade, can be extremely powerful casters, as that upgrade unlocks 4 almost-OP spells (stuff like killing any unit in a few seconds, summoning very powerful units, or completely reducing the power of a group of enemies for an hour), each one for one of the Old Gods.

I already tried the techtree as it is (i did the basic upgrades some hours ago, but for some reason WE crushed and i lost the progress), ad, as you can imagine, it has an extremely good movility and surprise factor, and requires a constant manteneince of your units and corrupted trees to get evolved. The 2 main strategies would be:
-Rushing as fast as possible with nerubian web makers and the Overlord (he is important to refill your army if the nerubians die). This is effective, but dangerous against basic defences (specialy HU and UD) as if they focus fire on the Overlord they may immediately win (he has 600 HP, so it isn't thaaat hard)
-Keeping a very fast and known orden on the evolutions to get the best (Heralds, Perforers, Flyers and Broodmothers) units vey soon (around 25-30 minutes of the game) and doing a very powerful massive attack. This is very good against IA, but that might be because the IA never attacked me and got stuck on T2 and only 1 base, so i am not sure. Also this would be manageable if it wasn't for the refill of the Broodmothers. Truly, they are better than you think if you have enough food and resources).
Also, the defense of this techtree is pretty bad, as you only have 1 structure available. Even if the best strategy is the offensive one, i recommend to upgrade some of your trees to tentacles. If you loose all your available upkeep in the middle of the battle, the mayor advantage of your attacks is completely wasted, and you might loose the game if you didn't kept some corrupters safe in base to rebuild.

Level 21
WIP #3

Finished the rest of the units and heros and done with triggers.
All that's left is more testing, balancing, descriptions, icons, etc.
Maybe I'll come up with some lore, if I'll have some time left after that.

Also, can anybody please share with me how to make tabs in bb editor? I couldn't find anything on the forums, and the new editor doesn't seem to have a button for it... :huh:

Last edited:
Level 27
Also, can anybody please share with me how to make tabs in bb editor? I couldn't find anything on the forums, and the new editor doesn't seem to have a button for it... :huh:
BB Codes
The tabs are at the end. :)

Also, since none of us have finished yet and the Contest ends in a week, maybe a little extension would be fine?

Level 14
Ratfolk Progress Update

I've reworked the race quite a bit over the past month. Sadly, I haven't been able to really test them out until today and was greeted by a whole bunch of crashes and bugs (yay). Almost every single one of the units have been reworked with the exceptions being War Rat, Cheese Golem, and Stink Gun.
The Winged Rodent was far too niche and pretty useless as a dedicated anti-air unit and just wasn't very practical at all so I'm still trying to figure out what to do with it. I've added a third air unit, the Wailbat Matriarch, to be a better anti-air/supporting unit.
The casters have had all their abilities changed from what they were and the Taskmaster was renamed to the Skullrat.
Because the race didn't have an anti-caster unit I changed the Blightfiend to fill that role. I have a rough idea of what I want to do with it, but it might change.
The heroes have all been tweaked with the Packmaster getting most of the changes. I've toned down his summons, but from my few playtests today he can still get out of control.
The next tabs are some the units and heroes that I feel are completely finished and bug-free.

Overseer

Sensei

Rat Catcher

Winged Matriarch

Kobold Cannon

Underhulk

Plagamancer

Skullrat

skullguy1.png

The Overseer (originally named Immortal/Skullrat) is a very powerful ranged intelligence hero that can support armies and is able to sustain himself on the battlefield. His abilities are:

Destine: Deals 10 damage per second to the target unit. If the target dies under the effect of Destine it will heal all nearby allied units. Lasts 10 seconds.

Terrify: Slows all enemy units in the target area and decreases their armour. Lasts 15 seconds.

Apotheosis: Increases the Overseer's attack damage and allows it to restore mana after attacking.

Skull Pact: Instantly kill a target allied organic unit, healing the Overseer and permanently gaining 2 strength and intelligence.
Sensei2.png

The Sensei is a fragile, but versatile agility hero. She can harass the enemy and maneuver across the battlefield with absolute ease. A fairly micro-intensive hero that rewards strong play.
Her abilities are:

Parry: Removes all negative buffs from the Sensei, deflects all incoming melee and ranged attacks back at the attackers, and dodges all incoming spells. Lasts 0,75 seconds.

Tunnel Rush: Causes the Sensei to tunnel underground. While tunneled the Sensei can move through units and avoid damage but cannot attack or cast spells. When the Sensei surfaces, she will stun all nearby enemies for 3 seconds. If Tunnel Rush is dispelled the Sensei will be forced to surface.

Grate: Causes the Sensei to deal damage to all nearby enemies after each attack. Does not deal damage to structures. Drains 15 mana each attack until deactivated.

Keen Sense: Increases attack speed and movement speed of the Sensei by 50% and passively reduces the attack speed and movement speed of all other nearby units by 50%. Lasts 30 seconds.

O
RatMan2.png
riginally named the Packmaster. He is a melee strength hero that is capable of amassing a small army of giant rats to aid him. Beware of dispels! His abilities are:

Muroid Missile: Throws a giant rat towards the target point, dealing damage to all enemies in its path before landing. Lasts 60 seconds.

Rat Ointment: Inflicts a buff on a target organic unit. When the target is killed, a giant rat will spawn from its corpse. Lasts 60 seconds. At level 3 this ability becomes an area of effect spell.

Savage Aura: Grants a bonus to attack damage and movement speed to all nearby melee units.

Summon Behemoth Rats: Summons 3 Behemoth Rats to attack the Rat Catcher's enemies. Cannot be dispelled or controlled by control magic. Lasts indefinitely.
BigBat2.png
The new flying anti-air unit for the Ratfolk. Available from tier 2, this unit is incredibly handy for a Ratfolk army. Its abilities are:

Screech: Channeling. Drastically slows down nearby enemy air units. Cannot be dispelled.

Confuse Rays: Toggle ability. Removes the Wailbat Matriarch's ability to attack but causes nearby enemy units to have a chance to damage themselves instead while attacking.
Blimp1.png
It's a goblin zeppelin stolen and repurposed by the Ratfolk! Originally named Repurposed Dirigible. Launches kobolds straight from the ship's cannon to smash against the enemies. Deals siege damage and has a fairly high attack range. Its abilities are:

Live Ammunition: Passive. Each attack that lands has a chance to leave a corpse behind.

Vengeance Factor: Passive. Researchable. Each attack that would normally leave a corpse behind has a chance to summon a Kobold Survivor instead. Lasts 10 seconds.
mutant1.png
Incredibly durable tank unit (easily the best in the game compared to the original races) that has a very large health pool and health regeneration rate. Its abilities are:
Healing Factor: Passive. Provides bonus health regeneration. Can be upgraded with the Expanded Mutations research.

Ravage: Eats a nearby corpse to gain a bonus to attack speed and movement speed, as well as doubling its health regeneration rate. The health regeneration rate bonus is cumulative. Lasts 30 seconds.
Plagamancer4.png
Offensive spellcaster unit. Best used to weaken and subvert the enemy army. Its abilities are:

Putrefy: Causes the target unit to receive bonus damage from all sources. Lasts 60 seconds.

Plague Burst: Deals 8 damage per second to the target organic unit. After the Plague Burst buff times out, is dispelled, or the target dies, half the damage dealt by this spell to the target will be dealt to all surrounding units. Lasts 30 seconds.

Miasma Cloud: Removes all vision from the target unit and prevents it from being able to attack. Lasts 60 seconds.
Taskmaster1.png
Originally named the Taskmaster. Versatile spellcaster and fighter hybrid. Excellent for augmenting an army. Its abilities are:
Death's Visage: Instantly dispels all buffs from the target and decreases its armour by two points. Each time the target is targeted by a spell its armour will be further reduced by one point. Cannot be dispelled or targeted by spell steal. Lasts 20 seconds.

Desecration: Removes a target corpse and instantly restores 40 health and mana to the caster.

Motivation: Instantly deals 15 damage to a target friendly unit and increases its attack damage and movement speed. Cannot be self-cast. Lasts 60 seconds.

Level 9
It would be generous if you grant additional time, fixes and tweaks are much needed here.

Edit:
It would appear that I'll need quite some time to make some triggers work out so I'll unfortunately withdraw with my entry from the competition. Might release the finish map separately when the triggers are figured out but for now, good luck for all remaining participants <3

Last edited:
Level 11
Pretty near to end this, I just gotta do 2 more spells for my third hero. Now a big issue has presented with my wc3. I downloaded via the link sended, but for some reason most of maps (including all the personalizated ones) can't open from the "custom game" section. They just pop an error window, that is completely empty. I tried and made most the entry with the WE testing, but now i want to test the system for race picking, and that everything is alright, but i can't. Does someone know why could this error be happening? Haven't tried campaigns either, but some of the maps work well, and the WE does too, including opening the maps that wc3 can't open (so no corrupted files), so i'm kinda lost.
Also, actually I don't have the basicall 3-tiered upgrades (for attack and armor of all units). Tbh I didn't felt with energy and time to spend on that, and now that i thought about it i think it could actually be a good large-plaze weakness, as the movility and creating speed is a much bigger adventage than i thought. I would like to hear some opinions here, if it's not annoying

Level 27
Pretty near to end this, I just gotta do 2 more spells for my third hero. Now a big issue has presented with my wc3. I downloaded via the link sended, but for some reason most of maps (including all the personalizated ones) can't open from the "custom game" section. They just pop an error window, that is completely empty. I tried and made most the entry with the WE testing, but now i want to test the system for race picking, and that everything is alright, but i can't. Does someone know why could this error be happening? Haven't tried campaigns either, but some of the maps work well, and the WE does too, including opening the maps that wc3 can't open (so no corrupted files), so i'm kinda lost.
Also, actually I don't have the basicall 3-tiered upgrades (for attack and armor of all units). Tbh I didn't felt with energy and time to spend on that, and now that i thought about it i think it could actually be a good large-plaze weakness, as the movility and creating speed is a much bigger adventage than i thought. I would like to hear some opinions here, if it's not annoying
That error sounds strange, I have never experienced it. How about creating a thread in the Help Zone? Maybe someone can help you there.

IMO, you may be able to skip the attack and armor upgrades if the rest of upgrades are generous and your units don't lose a significant amount of power in mid-game and late-game against the fully upgraded armies of the rest of races.

Level 11
Omg... i just realized the contest actually ended yesterday... may I post my entry a few days later? Even if its just to close this thing of my head. Anyway i didn't solved the trouble with wc3 yet, so I might send the map without checking that part (it's pretty simple thought, so it probably works)

Status
Not open for further replies.