1. Head to the 33rd Modeling Contest Poll and drink to your heart's desire.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Choose your means of doom in the 17th Mini Mapping Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. A slave to two rhythms, the 22nd Terraining Contest is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The heavens smile on the old faithful. The 16th Techtree Contest has begun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The die is cast - the 6th Melee Mapping Contest results have been announced. Onward to the Hive Cup!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The glory of the 20th Icon Contest is yours for the taking!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Techtree Contest #15 - Co-op Commanders [Optionally Paired]

Discussion in 'Contest Archive' started by Wazzz, May 29, 2020.

1. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm gonna get wiped out of the floor with this level of competition. Not much for progression with me finishing my thesis at the moment. Hopefully next month remaining days can help.

2. MyPad

MyPad

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:
  3. The_Warchief

The_Warchief

Resources:
    Models:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Not sure if I'll have the time to actually get into this, but I'm going to try! Currently throwing around ideas for an Archimonde/Burning Legion faction. Main concept is having Archimonde be a disembodied "hero" with some battlefield spells for the majority of the game, but letting him get summoned physically after that version of him reaches level 10.

4. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I am withdrawing from the contest. At the current rate, I doubt I can create something quite fleshed out for the final entry in time. I'm not up for extensions, given we have already good amount of final entries.

5. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sorry to hear that, man. :<

6. MrRious

MrRious

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think I'll withdraw too, due to the lack of suitable models (especially for buildings), lack of time and people to test and balance the techtree, the fact it will surely get lost among other entries and of course my awful procrastination.

7. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Your other reasons are valid, but the whole "not enough custom models" thing...

Call me crazy, but I really don't feel like people should feel like they can't compete if they don't have enough custom models. That was, like, one of the big things I wanted to keep Contests like this from devolving into and hey, look at that. :<

[​IMG]

8. MrRious

MrRious

Resources:
    Resources:
    There are a lot of great models around here, but due to the nature of my techtree I needed some really specific ones.

I even started writing a block of text explaining what I mean, but nobody really needs to read it.

To sum it up, for more "creative" units (such as the self-banishing worker whom you would sacrifice on the battlefield or the exploding sheep your Heroes could turn him into) I would use my unfinished or original models, while the more common ones, such as the spellcasters would use models from the Hive.

The problem is, it required a lot of work, which I wasn't capable of. I'm less than a mediocare modeler. Maybe I got a bit too ambitious, though I already prepared a lot of spells and mechanics for my Techtree by manipulating the Editor in really, really creative ways.

(One handy thing I discovered, is that you can create a "Unit dies another one replaces it" ability without the triggers + with keeping the unit in the selected units and the shortcut groups by using the fenix egg passive ability, setting the timer to 0)

But yeah, we also surely lack buildings.

9. xYours Trulyx

xYours Trulyx

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is the main reason I picked up modelling. There wouldn't be any suitable model for Alementals, Floating Kegs, Tappers, Kegbearers and pretty much the entire building roster, had I not know how to model.

10. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    And believe me, I'm glad you were able to for a number of reasons. (not the least of which is selfish "helps flesh out my Pandaren faction" reasons ;P)

But I guess I fundamentally believe that a Techtree Contest should primarily/only be about "designing & implementing a Techtree" (not about modeling or anything else), and that this 'arms race' of more & better custom stuff is really detrimental to the Contest as a whole. :<

11. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I mean, Kyrbi0 is exactly right on what the from of a Techtree Contest is ideally about.

Kyrbi0 is also right that we're happy that Alementals are now a thing, as are floating kegs given just enough sapience to kill themselves for the "greater good".

12. Michael Peppers

Michael Peppers

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Sorry to butt in but, in my opinion, you're right in saying you're being too ambitious there, the goal is having a working custom race with (preferrably) all unit abilities and heroes made from scratch, add modeling in there and two months isn't going to cut it unless you co-op with somebody.

That said modeling isn't the right reason to not do it, you have tons of assets just from the base game alone, be creative, you might even use some weird semi-known in game model in an head attachment slot of a unit with lights, color changes and special effects attached to it if you need to make something up for these units. If you want to do it models isn't a good reason in my book.

Hear me out, contests like this are about how well the techtree is fleshed out, how it's coherent with itself, working and, more importantly, creative, a fresh new take on techtrees with new mechanics that work well. Graphics without it doesn't do jack in these contests. Graphics with all this could still easily lose to a better work overall with lots of ingame resources. Like... Feminist Warriors vs Magical Entities *cough* for instance.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  13. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Sorry for inactivity. I've been sick for a few weeks so I couldn't manage to finish everything in time, but Kel'Thuzad is close to a finished state.

Screenshot_1.png

Well, on the bright side; here's Kel'Thuzad's complete techtree! A lot of new units have been added. I just have to find the names of the authors whose resources I used so I can credit them properly before I upload the map in a few days. Although I'm rather disappointed in myself that I had to cut a lot of the other things I planned for Kel'Thuzad due to the deadline and my sickness... (*cough* and my unhealthy addiction to Starcraft 2's ladder *cough*)

14. Wazzz

Wazzz

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nice :)

A reminder for everybody that there is 9 days left to apply the finishing touches, and the final day is included. Good luck everyone :)

15. Spellbound

Spellbound

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    JASS:
    Resources:

Pseudoheroes do not receive traditional upgrades but instead are upgraded with Runes. You can choose up to 3 Runes to boost a unit with. Any new additions will overwrite the previous set of Runes. Runes are removed upon death and must be re-bought.

16. Mythic

Mythic

Media Manager

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Reforged HD Icons:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    That's hot. :)

My commander will be Lord Garithos. Here's a WIP of the starting unit.

• [​IMG]
      Glass cannon starting ranged unit. Relying on their allies to keep opponents at bay, their innate passive allows them to pick off targets from afar. They are heavily dependent on positioning, as their low health makes them susceptible to heavy damage from enemy spells.

They may sting, but most of their damage disappears in close quarters. They are also weak against mechanicals.

[​IMG] RELENTLESS AIM [Innate]

Landing hits on organic units beyond a distance deals bonus damage. Fly height counts toward the threshold.

Damage: +12/21/30 (Scales with Javelin Training)
      Range Threshold: 420
      [​IMG] MARKSMANSHIP [T2]

Increases range by 200.

[​IMG] BURNING SPEARS [T3]

Each attack burns the target unit.

Damage per Second: 7
      Duration (Heroes): 3
      Duration (Units): 5

17. MogulKahn

MogulKahn

Resources:
    Resources:
    Looks good, guys. Spellbound, you are kind of overcomplicating things for my taste, but that is just my opinion.

Majority of the times less is more, but I know you, you enjoy putting yourself in artistic challanges.

18. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    TC #15 - Kel'Thuzad

Here's my entry! I'll continue to update the map after the contest as I'm not satisfied with what I have at the moment. I originally wanted to give him Demi-heroes, talents, a fourth tier, and so on...

Oh well, can't have everything!

19. lichao001486

lichao001486

Resources:
    Resources:
    Good job.

20. SgtWinter

SgtWinter

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Some more things I planned for Kel'Thuzad. He will be able to learn Talents, just like in HotS!

WC3ScrnShot_072220_183456_01.png
    Screenshot_1.png