• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #13 - Ghastly Realm

Status
Not open for further replies.
she is now undead, but in the end she is human, was that part of the story
Yes, I said she was a human died in a war. If you win the map she will get her souls and will turn to her intial human state.
enemies are a little powerful, skills are not enough to match them
Ah, yes I will fix all this problems in the final update.

Thanks for your attention and feedback!

I mean she was an undead who was missing something, and by retrieving the souls, she can be whole again, didn't expect her being human though
Well, every one will/maybe think that she is undead from the starting of the map. Without reading the story this thought is not a strange thing.

Level 9
Very interesting map. Although I did enjoy walking around and figuring things out, I was getting frustrated with ghosts hitting me when there was no reactive way to avoid them. Suggestions:
  • Disable black mask entirely. Fog of war is enough to hide things, and having them both working against the player makes it too easy to walk into a ghost you couldn't see coming at all.
  • Ghosts seem to have a larger damaging area than they appear to have. Eventually you learn how big their radius is after getting smacked around by them a bit, but I still think the ghosts either need to be shown to be larger or have a smaller AoE radius.
  • You could use thicker terrain fog to make it feel a little eerier. It would be even more useful if you've considered my first suggestion, and it wouldn't hinder the player more from seeing incoming ghosts like black mask does.
  • Ghost damage or ghosts themselves need to be turned off during talk scenes. There is absolutely no way to avoid them during these, and I was once hit three times during one conversation.
  • You have a lot of point leaks in your triggers. It doesn't seem to create performance issues with a pretty short game, but you might want to work on those to save you from some point reductions.
  • The hermit says "quiet a talker" instead of quite.
  • Maybe have a secret NPC that moves around the maps and will restore a small amount of HP/MP if you find them? If you make ghosts easier to dodge, then it's not really necessary. The very limited resources and getting jumped while trying to explore what felt like a maze the first couple times made it more frustrating than straight up difficult.
I love the final phase. I found myself saying "oh shit" out loud. I also like the need to repeatedly talk to NPCs instead of getting the whole gist at once. It felt reminiscent of Dark Souls in the inquisitive sense. I hope you're not entirely done with it yet, because there's still a lot of time to expand your idea or include little secrets that give it more enjoyable replayability.

JUNGLE GRAVE v1.1
Created by Guramax

1. Reduced Ghost Damage AoE - From 200 -> 150
2. Thicker Terrain Fog. (Zoom/Tilt View)
3. Changed Lighting type -> Felwood
4. Added Rays of Moonlight
5. Make Player Invulnerable during conversations.
6. Point Leaks Removal. (Ghosts, Boss, etc.)
7. Grammar Correction. (Quiet -> Quite)
8. Added Camouflaged Items throughout the map. (Recovery and Equipment Items)

1. Tickles - v1.1 Suggestions
2. Volvox - All About Fog
3. Rad - Memory Leak Tutorial

To Tickles:

Thank you so much! I can't believe I got help from a Mapping Champion! Anyway, I took all your suggestions in heart as you can see. However, some of them cannot be apply and here's why:

1. Disabling Black Mask entirely will also remove the "Magic" feeling of this map. It will render exploration and map detail analysis significantly easy. Ghost shouldn't be predictable even to dodge so taht's why you need to be careful and you have to be lucky sometimes.

2. I cannot Off all the Ghosts at once due to it's wait sequences. I made just made the Player Invulnerable during conversations.

3. About the fog, It's nice in zoom/tilt view (mouse 3 zoom) but I cannot seem to make it thinker in regular view. I tried tinkering the "Use Terrain Fog" but it made the whole map awful even after the finish game sequence.

PS: My heart skipped in gladness as you said "Oh Shit" while playing. This map served it's purpose to you. (Evil Laugh)

This map is in it's finished form so it'll be my updated entry. I'll also hope that any latest update I made to this map shall be my final entry until the deadline. However, I'll still accept any advice, suggestions or violent reactions. The Primary details of this post is at page 15 of the forum...

Download the map below and start your spooky journey...

368942zlrqa449ax.gif

Attachments

• Jungle Grave v1.1.w3x
    3.2 MB · Views: 176

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

^Looks nice.

I'm in the process of writing gayest love letter yet. I need Judge #2's name so I can finish it.

I've just been wondering the absence of second judge, what's the state of things in that regard?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

• All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb, so they are playable on Battle.Net.

-

I could do with 1 day extension.

Tickles needs to learn how to hit the refresh button more often :pcon:

You created an interesting world. I wasn't really invested in the story, but gaining new abilities according to the souls obtained was more fun than sinking skill points in for no reason. And some suggestions:
  • A lot of the environment looks nice, but there was a lot of clipping in the walkable platforms where parts of the models would glitch through each other. You can avoid that by making them very slightly taller or shorter than each other, or you can just move them just outside the bounds of each other.
  • Using the same stone floor at different sizes looks a bit strange. When it's very large, the texture looks too stretched. When it's small like when used up higher in the decoration, it looks out of place. I suggest finding more types of platforms you can use and tile many of them instead of stretching them out.
  • Custom abilities with interesting effects are desperately needed. Even though the way you gain them is cool, I was bummed out to get default spells. There isn't even a reason to use Death Coil when you have Firebolt.
  • It's great that you have multiple difficulties, but they all felt easier than they should have. I think it would be a lot more interesting if you had powerful hero bosses which level up based on the difficulty chosen.
  • Having strong bosses would also make the game feel longer, because it feels cut extremely short as it is now. I was really expecting at least a boss at the end after acquiring all of the souls as a sort of ritual to combine them.
So you have a good baseline for the map, but now you can fill it in with all the yummy things that will make it feel better to play.
Hey @Tickles, I've updated my map. Can you take a look at it and tell me your suggestions?? ==> Mini-Mapping Contest #13 - Ghastly Realm

Last edited:
Level 25
Hey @Tickles, I've updated my map. Can you take a look at it and tell me your suggestions?? ==> Mini-Mapping Contest #13 - Ghastly Realm
The beefy guards are a nice touch, although they could use some abilities of their own. It's good the player can decide when they're ready to fight them instead of being jumped immediately after fighting the other enemies, but I would use something other than a chat command. Maybe the player gets the first attack on the guard and activates the combat that way?

Abilities are shaping up better, but Dual Adaptation's water effect seemed useless for your map considering the lack of water. Dark Matter was the most interesting spell for this type of map as it was useful in every situation and looks good. Chain Lightning should at least be renamed with different art to make it more interesting.

The changes to the terrain are going in a good direction. The stone tiles floating up in the air still looked odd, but I like what you did for the center of each of the rooms.

And you are one busy bee working on this and your other project at the same time. I guess that would keep things interesting considering how different they are from each other :prazz:
Well I finally found time to work on the map but after the update I can't hide UI icons and it's kinda central to the gameplay of my map. I have no idea what to do.
It's good you found time to work on it, but yeah, I had that problem with another map of mine. Hopefully you find a way around it or to adapt to it.

I would use something other than a chat command
Well, I will think about this.
but Dual Adaptation's water effect seemed useless for your map considering the lack of water
It will be fixed.
Chain Lightning should at least be renamed with different art to make it more interesting.
I will do this.
The stone tiles floating up in the air still looked odd
It will be fixed.
And you are one busy bee working on this and your other project at the same time. I guess that would keep things interesting considering how different they are from each other
Yes, I'm working hours and hours on this two projects.

Thanks for your attention!

Last edited:
Level 25
This is the first 9 levels of Parallux. It's a fairly straightforward puzzle game using only arrow keys. If you test it, let me know if you have any ideas for additional puzzle mechanics which I'm adding after every 3 levels.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 201
  • Parallux WIP.w3x
    5.6 MB · Views: 101
Level 14
As many of you know, the latest patch disable the option to hide ui icons. This is forcing me to rework the gameplay of my map.

So let's spoil what the map was supposed to be about.
Story:
My map was named Valhalla. It was about nameless warriors who have died in combat and awakened in Valhalla with little memory of their life. Those lost souls would then travel and explore the vast, conflicted and hollow world that is Valhalla seeking a way to finally put their souls to rest. In their way, they would face powerful and desperate souls.

Gameplay:
each Hero (the map was a coop-RPG) has 4 ressources : Red souls, Blue Souls, Green Souls and Soul Level. By fighting the various mad and lost souls, the Hero would acquire Red, Blue or Green Souls. Some stronger souls would drop fragments of their soul and with enough souls of the right color the Hero could evolve into this newly acquired soul.

ValhallaGameplay.png

For instance, the strong Mystic soul guarding the entrance to the Valhalla citadel would drop a fragment of its soul. With enough Blue souls, the Hero could become a Mystic himself. Thus gaining his abilities.
By empowering himself, each Hero would gain Soul Levels. Those would help him attain his ultimate goal reach a form that would let him finally rest.

Progression:
The game was planned in 3 parts : Pre-citadel / Citadel (3 lairs) / ???
The second part was supposed to be the longest, wheras the first and last would be brief.
The third part wasn't planned yet.

Terrain:
Before the patch I had done all the pre-citadel area and about 33% of the Citadel.

I think I am going to keep the terrain and maybe even the theme but redo the whole gameplay. I have only a few days left and I am not 100% free so we will see how it will turn out.

Level 8
My hard drive just got replaced, luckily my map was recovered. I can continue my work on it.

@Rufus Sorry for the double post but can we get an extension, please? I doubt I can finish my map in time.

I agree what did Sclammerz says, if this contest extended many contenders will benefit of its extension. Including me because I can't finish the map exactly at the deadline. :(

Level 8
Hey guys. Just letting you know I won't be able to complete my mini-map within the deadline (and then some). All the best to the remaining contestants and season's greetings!

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Hey guys. Just letting you know I won't be able to complete my mini-map within the deadline (and then some). All the best to the remaining contestants and season's greetings!
Too bad. I was working on something as well. I reinstalled WC3 after patch and didn't remember my work was in the Maps\Downloads - folder...

Map Updated:

Mini-Mapping Contest #13 - Ghastly Realm
New map is now available on that post.

Change log from the first version until now:

• Done some changes on the terrain
  • Added custom new abilities with interesting effects
  • Done some improvements on the cinematics
  • Added boss fights
  • Added multiple difficulties
What is your opinions guys??

Level 21
full

PLAYERS: 1-8
Horror, Survival, Exploration

S T O R Y
The dream lies in limbo, and those caught in its current shall dream forever.

You are a lost soul who found himself/herself in a world called the dream. It is an afterlife, but not the one where you ultimately find peace.
Those trapped in the dream are those who experienced something traumatic, and cannot leave until those horrid memories are vanquished forever.

This limbo is a canvas, painted by the traumatic memories of its inhabitants. They manifest into what is known as the Nightmare.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Starting area
full
Foundation Torch
full
Wishing Well
full
Guardian
full
NPC
full
NPC
full

full

MODELS
Amigurumi - XmasCandyStick
Blizzard - Banshee (WoW)
Blizzard - Ghoul (WoW)
Blizzard - Westfall Building (WoW)
Communist_orc - Witch Hut
Elenai -
Navi
Ergius - GoldOre
Fingolfin - Birch (variation 1)
Fingolfin - Birch (variation 2)
Fingolfin - Birch (variation 3)
Fingolfin - Fir
Fingolfin - Oak (variation 1)
Fingolfin - Oak (variation 2)
Fingolfin - Oak (variation 3)
Fingolfin - Pine (Variation 1)
Fingolfin - Pine (Variation 2)
Fingolfin - Pine (Variation 3)
Fingolfin - Pine (Variation 4)
Fingolfin - Pine (Snow)
Fingolfin - Reach Tree (Yellow)
HappyCockroach - Fetish
Hexus - Owl
Ike_ike - Deadstar
Ike_ike - OlBeanpole
Ike_ike - Papercut
Kellym0 - AnimatedFlowerAv.343
Kellym0 - AnimatedFlowerBV.088
Kellym0 - AnimatedFlowerCV.025
Kellym0 - AnimatedFlowerDV.014
MaxShadow - CloudOfFog
M0rbid - WhiteBishop(256)
Neogaidenx - Glowing Light
Olofmoleman - Teddy Abomination - Wc3C.net
Pyramidhe@d - Butchergirl
Sc_freek - Eerie Fog - Wc3C.net
Sunchips - GrassAnimated
Sunwarrior25 - Torch Attachment
Teaspoon - Search Light

xXm0rpH3usXx - High-Res Doodad Pack - Wc3C.net
Zap - Model

Edited by me (Ungoliath): Banshee (WoW), DalaranMutant, KoboldShoveler, Zombie

SKINS
Dan.L - Detailed Grass - Wc3C.net
Erwtenpeller - Protector of the Pine - Wc3C.net
Falcoknight50 - JonathanGriswald
GooS - HeroForceOfNature.blp
Mr.Goblin - BrownWolf.blp
Mr.Goblin - DireWolf.blp
Mr.Goblin - TimberWolf.blp
Mr.Goblin - Jack and Willow (Willow)
Red Shift - Mountain Giant
Stanakin - CaveKid.blp
Stanakin - GardenGnome.blp
Stanakin - Muppet.BLP
Stanakin - Pengo.blp

Created/edited by me (Ungoliath): Banshee (WoW), Corrupted Ancient Protector, DalaranMutant, Ghoul (WoW), Lordaeron Winter Snow, Rough Dirt, SnowyOwl, Tuskarr Ranged, WarEagle

ICONS

CRAZYRUSSIAN - BTNcrHcancel
KelThuzad - BTNTalking2
Stanakin - BTNGardenGnome

INTERFACE
Dab - CustomCursor.blp
Spellbound - SpellAreaEffectLosttribe512.blp (Edited by me with permission)

SCREENS
Me (Ungoliath) - Loading Screen
Me (Ungoliath) - Map Preview Screen

SOUND EFFECTS
Blizzard - Thaddius
Hollywood Edge Sound Effects library - Horror Scream

MUSIC
David Lynch - Call from the Past (Inland Empire)
Joseph Bishara - Void Moment Suite (Insidious)

-Author's Note-
This is my submission to the Mini-Mapping Contest #13.

I took a lot of inspiration from Scandinavian folklore, as well as some old childhood favorites of mine (Alice in Wonderland, Iron Giant, etc).

I was afraid that it became too much like a dream, instead of a "realm of the dead", but I think the dialogues make it pretty clear that it is an afterlife like state they're all in.

I didn't think that I would become this attached to this particular project, so I've decided to upload this map as soon as possible to continue working on it.

-------------------------------------

Here's a look at the terrain. :)

26 Nov 2016
full
full

06 Dec 2016
full

28 Dec 2016
full

Attachments

• ATNightmare - FINAL.w3x
    7.5 MB · Views: 251
Last edited by a moderator:
Level 8
I have decided to not to join in this contest because I'm not done in my GAMEPLAY & the size of the map can't control over 8mb :'( not compatible yet in multiplayer.

To all contestant I congratulate you EARLY being a part in this mini-mapping contest. :)

P.S. Sorry for my bad ENGLISH :3

Level 19
I'm not able to finish my map, unfortunately :( I had almost finished the mechanics but it still needs hours of work so I'm out of this contest. I will however upload the map to the maps section once its done ^^

I've seen lots of interesting maps in here btw, looking forward to play them :3

Level 25
ParaTitle.png

Description
When too many souls are caught between the veil and left in disarray, a shepherd is sent forth to weave through the darkness and guide these radiant spirits to their rightful place.

Gameplay
Parallux is a single player puzzle map. It contains over an hour of continuous puzzles to solve in which only arrow keys are used to move around. The environment gradually shifts along with the difficulty of its puzzles throughout the game.

There are no quests, no dialog, no combat, and no spells to cast. You simply use logic and persistence to tackle each puzzle as they grow and become more intricate. Each level requires colored souls to complete. There are also bonus white souls with hidden paths to them.

Screenshots

<Hide>

Cemetery

Deep Sea

The Park

ParaSS1.png
ParaSS2.png
ParaSS3.png

Credits

<Hide>

Models

Music

Sounds

Elenai:
Hero Archmaiden

Talavaj:
S&S Modular Shire (Pack)

Fingolfin:
Felucian Flora (Pack)

Born²Modificate:
Gravestones

eubz:
Grass on Stone

WindexIsBack:
TV

Carrington2k:
Firefly

Geries:
Stone Fence

Kuhneghetz:
Light Feather

Stellardrone:
Penumbra
Maia Nebula
Stardome
Rendezvous With Rama
Eternity
Endeavour

Robinhood76:
Water Drops

jorickhoofd:
Tiny Pebble

Unaxete:
Mystery Chime

Glaneur de sons:
Electric Woosh

heyim89yearsold:
Glass

BMacZero:
Rattle

annabloom:
Jarjarbooz

Runnerpack:
Flipper

FoolBoyMedia:
Tick-Tock

Daphne_in_Wonderland:
Ding

unfa:
Projectile Hit

ejfortin:
Energy Gloves

urupin:
Mysterious Disappearance

JeremySykes:
Electricity

barrygusey:
Wind Storm

Attachments

• Parallux v1.0.w3x
    9.2 MB · Views: 254
Last edited:
Level 26

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

@THE guys who finished their entries: You're the real pros : D

Gonna try to do my unofficial reviews like I did for #9.

Status
Not open for further replies.