• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Ima post sum wips.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• WIP1.PNG
    WIP1.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 178
  • WIP2.PNG
    WIP2.PNG
    735.6 KB · Views: 185
  • WIP3.PNG
    WIP3.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 217
Level 6
I realised I haven't made any updates since my original announcement to join in, so I thought I'd give a quick WIP to show that I'm still alive and working on my entry.

Like Boneknight (was), I also have been planning to build most, if not all, of my map out of model segments. The crudhead just happens to work faster than I do :p. Traps, puzzles and internal rooms have been coming along quite nicely so far, but it's taken me a little while to get the entry to my dungeon from the outside sorted out. Still fiddling with it, but I've attached a WIP.

cognition-entry-wireframe-wip.jpg

I've also included the backstory to my map below. For those of you who are brave enough to read my attempt at a story, kudos! You deserve a cookie.

You play the role of a young man married to your childhood sweetheart, born and raised in a small town much like any other in the kingdom. Its only distinguishing feature and prominent landmark is the nearby decaying spire of a massive tower, a relic from an age long since forgotten.

Since earliest memories, many treasure seekers have sought out this decaying monolith with hunger for the potential of fame and wealth lying inside...despite the warnings of what evils may lurk within. Yet the business folk of the village welcome them and their money with open hands and bid them farewell with false sympathy when they inevitably return unsuccessful. Life in the village returns to normal; at least until the next group of foolish adventurers turn up with glory in their thoughts and gold in their pockets. The cycle continues.

One day, a band of adventurers brings news of war to the village. It is not unusual for travellers to share news of bloodshed from far away lands, but this is different: the battle is coming dangerously close to town. The leaders of the village balk at the news - war has not come to the village for hundreds of years - but arrange for some small defensive measures to be taken in order to keep the folk appeased.

The weeks pass and people begin to relax their guard. Then suddenly, on one particularly stormy night, you and your wife are roused by a cacophony of activity in the village square. Stepping outside to find the street crowded with townspeople and wounded soldiers. Kingdom soldiers. Querying the people closest to you, you quickly discover that the Kingdom has been steadily losing ground for several days, eventually being overrun by the enemy and being forced to pull back into the towns.

You suddenly notice that people around are hastily making preparations to fight or flee when the commotion in the central square is briefly interrupted by the bloodcurdling cry of a frightening close war horn. Before you can react, the town erupts into chaos as waves of black armoured soldiers explode from the shadows, cutting down anyone within reach of their swords.

You turn back to your wife, several metres behind you, yelling at her to run. Time appears to slow down as a masked shadow, dressed in midnight and wielding death appears right behind her. She cries out, but too late she realises the danger as she is mercilessly cut down before your eyes. Hot tears burn in your eyes and rage fills your mind. Your mind is filled with animal vengeance, leaving no room for conscious thought as you charge towards the black-clad nightmare before you. Time passes in a haze.

You blink to clear away the fogginess in your head and look down to see the dead body of your wife's murderer, his chest armour punctured and his face unmasked. You look at it with an oddly-detached curiosity whilst a voice yells something incomprehensible to you and the ongoing battle around you appears muted and far away. Ignoring the voice, you continue to stare at the already-paling face before you. It is the face of a man. Not the face of a cruel or evil man, just another man.

A stinging pain on your left arm brings you back to reality. It is then that you notice the sword in your hand - the sword of the soldier. Somehow you were able to wrest it from him during the fight and use it against him. Fighting continues around you as the Kingdom men desperately fight on and people flee in all directions. Your wife's body, seeming suddenly so small, lays but a few paces away. You want to go to it, to shake her and have her suddenly wake up as if from a sound sleep, but the pool of red soil surrounding her callously shatters that illusion.

More black warriors appear and a Kingdom soldier from across the square yells at you to run before being quickly overwhelmed. Hesitating only a moment, you grip the sword in your hand tightly and begin to run in the direction of the ancient tower. Several of the enemy soldiers notice your escape and give chase as you desperately try to escape somewhere. Anywhere...

The map picks up just as you arrive at the entrance to the tower. Instantly you are face with a puzzle that has defeated all the stalwalt adventurers who have tried to gain access before you: how to get in! Relax, though, it's not that hard. The tricky part is that with several enemy soldiers on your tail, you've only got a few minutes to solve this first puzzle before they turn up and butcher you. No pressure.

Last edited:
Level 7
Heres pretty much the rules:
-You can use any model/skin imports as long as the original creator is credited
-To my knowledge, you can't use pre-made spells from the spells section, I'm not to sure about systems
-15mb file size limit
-Replayability is not an issue
-Optimization is not allowed
-Beta tests are allowed, as long as testers aren't judges or contestants
-You can use any third party editor programs, as long as you say that in your submission
-No teamwork
-Your final version mustn't have any bugs
-# of traps/riddles/etc. isn't an issue, just fill 60 minutes of play time.

(Checking the first post would be a good idea if you want to know the rules)

And yea :/ Sheehs... Getting tons of PM's because people simply don't read the first post. Can be really annoying. Luckily, I'm just too used to over and over repeated questions about simple things while the solution is in front of people's noses... from work :p So I'm fine. haha

But I'm a patient person either way :)

Well. Syleona. As you allready is spammed with simple questions, then why not one more? :D

The first price doesnt seem to be that clear to me. Are you going to tell the winner about level design in web-chat and guide him? And then what are you going to teach/tell about? How to get into the industry, how to improve the winners' works or how you work?
Maybe a mix of all the things above?

Sorry for the many questions, but the first place just doesnt seem to be that clear to me.

[EDIT]

Crazed_Seal, nice wips. Seems like you are basing the project off of mazes :D You just have to add more details and i think it will be win.

Level 14
Crazed_Seal, nice wips. Seems like you are basing the project off of mazes :D You just have to add more details and i think it will be win.

Mazes... Yes mazes.. *cough*

Mazes are annoying especially when you make one your self and forget how to get to the end, i drew this awesome maze, it took three days to find the end!!! I had Failedz

Well mah map is coming along very very good, why?
I haven't done the triggers
I haven't done the units
Got 0+few ideas
And well its all perfect. Wait what am i saying?

Level 9
@Crazed_seal2

Wonderfull sewer, but not wonderfull like I would swim in it, I mean in that way it's an ugly sewer but wonderfull at the same time. What I meant to say it's a wonderfull creation of an ugly sewer.

@kharma

Good Luck with that! You should make a maze at the end of your map! :plol:

@YourNameHere

That seams realistic and terrifying to play. Although it requires the right music and sounds, like zombies popping in front of you and you hear a "whaaarg" will make it a great zombie map.

@me

Get to work lazy bum.

Last edited:
Level 11
@YourNameHere

That seams realistic and terrifying to play. Although it requires the right music and sounds, like zombies popping in front of you and you hear a "whaaarg" will make it a great zombie map.
I've already got some nice ambient music (which increased the map's size dramatically, it's 13 fucking mb now) and it's going to shock the hell out of you if you play it alone in the night :grin:

Level 27
I've already got some nice ambient music (which increased the map's size dramatically, it's 13 fucking mb now) and it's going to shock the hell out of you if you play it alone in the night :grin:

Will there be special effects and something really surprising? Like Walls exploding and zombies coming from all sides? I still doubt its possible to make something really scary in WC3.

Level 7
Well. Syleona. As you allready is spammed with simple questions, then why not one more? :D

The first price doesnt seem to be that clear to me. Are you going to tell the winner about level design in web-chat and guide him? And then what are you going to teach/tell about? How to get into the industry, how to improve the winners' works or how you work?
Maybe a mix of all the things above?

:)

I answered this question before in this thread.
I am going to provide online tutoring though instant chat, e-mail. And provide video, text and image material during the process. I am going to explain many things about current industry standards, requirements, we'll talk about different level design theories such as re-playability, passive forces, interaction, etc, many others. Improving the work of the winer of course as well in the form of short tasks and reviews as well.

In short, the person will get a full, detailed lecture about level design on today's and somewhat future's industry standard level design, and level design, artistic design and gameplay design as well along the way to implement within your designs.

Does that answer your question?

Level 9
it looked like someone was having trouble manipulating doodads with triggers, not sure if this problem has been fixed but if you only need to show/hide the doodad there's an easy GUI trigger for it: Animation - Show animation for Doodads of type within Region. You just make a region around your doodads and then use the string "show" or "hide" to make your doodads appear or disappear whenever you need. I hope this helps, because Destructibles are really terrible substitutions for Doodads :(

Also, I'm enjoying these projects! Keep up the good work!!

Thanks!! This helped a lot!!!:thumbs_up:

{EDIT}
I really hope I win. Since the aspect that matters most is the design level and gameplay, that is possible.

wut?, almost one day passed, since I read the last time this thread, and again, 2 new unread sites full of posts...

So I was first a bit insecure, because school started, I ran out of ideas, and my friends
gonna make some parties now :>
But in school, some nice ideas came into my mind, and now I'm fully at work, again :D

//Edit: ah question about the triggering:
does the judge give more points, if the triggers are sorted? Like in many sub folders, like Puzzle1,Puzzle2 and so on.
or can we just put it in different folders like: Systems, Items, Units, Story....blabla?

wut?, almost one day passed, since I read the last time this thread, and again, 2 new unread sites full of posts...

So I was first a bit insecure, because school started, I ran out of ideas, and my friends
gonna make some parties now :>
But in school, some nice ideas came into my mind, and now I'm fully at work, again :D

//Edit: ah question about the triggering:
does the judge give more points, if the triggers are sorted? Like in many sub folders, like Puzzle1,Puzzle2 and so on.
or can we just put it in different folders like: Systems, Items, Units, Story....blabla?

I dont think that matters. But keep the triggers somewhat clean. Its going to be a small part of the judgement :)

Level 35

You can resize your mp3 files if you need. They can be lowered rather drastically with the right tools and without much loss in quality (with normal speakers).

You can resize your mp3 files if you need. They can be lowered rather drastically with the right tools and without much loss in quality (with normal speakers).

well, I have two music files, and they together are something about 2:45
minutes, and only 2,7 mb big (good quality)
so it's worth to resize them, else there wouldn't be much space left :)

Level 11
» De.Facto's [ ARCADIA - Rise and Fall ]

» Project Title

ARCADIA - Rise and Fall

is an utopian adventure in a scale of an epic poetry for WarCraft III - The Frozen Throne. As a free spirit you have to find a cure for the meta-level!
» Exposé

coming soon
» Treatment

coming soon
» Teaser
» WiPs

ARF_006.jpg

ARF_005.jpg

ARF_009.jpg

Last edited:
I know it can be placed on any cords you want and it will be created there. I'm not sure if getting its X and Y will show right results but im sure it will be placed properly, cuz I have a FSI of my own and I have my dests set up using really small coords differences(like 5.5 range between eachone)
Sure that you are placing them ingame with the createDestructable() function? Btw, pathing is none.

Level 11
When I heard this title it instantly reminded me of Bioshock's Arcadia...

ARCADIA - Rise and Fall will be an utopian adventure in a scale of an epic poetry. I will work with 'Et in Arcadia ego'. Often interpreted as 'memento mori' - 'Even in Arcadia I exist'.

The eternal contrast between the imminent presence of death and the usual idle merriment and hubris. There will be a full-color-scale of aspects. (;

Almost all the traps/puzzles will follow the laws of physics and in order to experience the real fun of physic in a video game, since WC3 lacks good physic manipulations :)

Nice, I was going to have my puzzles follow some basic physics (I'm not sure how advanced your getting into it, but I was going to do some that involve some limited gravity, friction, collision, weight etc. - Like I said, I'm keeping it pretty simple but its good to see that not everyone's thinking of the more typical puzzles you find in Wc3 games)

Level 18
I think I just may participate in this... I think it would be my first submission to this site in quite some time. Sometimes I'm over at Wc3c.net but lately their community has become more and more conceited.

Level 7
Um. Please keep yourself to the topic and to the mapping contest. Discussing ownership of assets, proving things, posting meaning lines that are unrelated to the contest should be avoided.

If you really need information about rules and you can't find it in this thread, go ahead and PM me.

Level 14
Imports can be used, however you will not receive any marks for them, and all imports must be credited. But you can't use stolen project models -,- and this was the topic we are not talking about public downloadable models... please read the other posts. Now back to the true contest topic I hope I don't musst see project models in other maps again...

Last edited:
what does it mean we wont receive any marks?

It's not going to help you. Just because you got I_wKaoti's (I have terribly remembrance of names, internet and real names) fantastic Lich King model doesn't mean your going to get any extra points - even if you make the fantastic Lich King Model

Well, if you could please prove it with a testmap.

I'm not entirely sure of the context of this, but if you read the first post you would know that test maps and betas can't be played by other contestants and judges.

Status
Not open for further replies.