• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Solo Mapping Competition #3 (ext deadline)

the%20hive%20workshop.png

mapping.png
competition.png
number.png
3.png

vgrgon.jpg

"... one who dwells these ruins should know, danger that lies ahead should not be underestimated"

The contest won't be simple but not too hard either. My main goal is to find dedicated people with at least average skills and a knack for interesting designs. It's not all about who does the best triggers. Actually, the level design and the ideas will take the same bit of the role in this case as the triggers themselves.

The map, since it's a mapping contest ,will need to be playable. But you can go as wild as you wish with the level design (as long as it's playable of course).

The theme would be related to the following facts:
  • Traps
  • Interior
  • Riddles
  • Mystery

Important note: DO NOT make escape maps. Under escape I mean, maps where you run along a path and and can't slip off a certain tile, while colliding monsters run around and kill you if they touch you. This is an adventure-like contest, so keep it in mind.

Map length is to be decided yet. Most likely around 60 minutes of playtime. If you know how to design an area, and do an interesting combination of tasks to complete in there, you can achieve half of it with just a few rooms. I don't want to restrict the time since it really depends how people figure out the riddles/traps/puzzles along your level.

You can do anything you think that would fit this. Let it be some ancient ruins, a hideout of some bandits, an old wizards tower, a dungeon, etc etc. Imagine a hero venturing into a dungeon full of traps and secrets and has to work his way through. It does not have to be linear. It can be semi open as well. Returning points, teleporters, text riddles, spiky traps, conspiring elements? All, or any! This is what I want to see.

Be creative. The ideas and the immersion are key factors.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any entry does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges and/or hosts may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Teamwork is not allowed.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • The map must be single player only.
  • Third party editors may be used in the creation of your map (JassNewGenPack, World Editor Unlimited), but they must all be noted clearly in your submission.
  • Imports can be used, however you will not receive any marks for them, and all imports must be credited.
  • Map size is limited to 15 MB max.
  • Beta testing is allowed as well, as long as the beta tester will not be a Judge or Another Contestant.

prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points, a special award icon and a 1 month long free lecture from a game industry designer.
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Syleona
  • Deaod
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Creative Level Design
Creating an interesting scene will make the level a lot more detailed and interesting/30

Unique Ideas
Implementing Ideas with a unique style will be rewarded /20

Defined Artistic Style
You have an idea for a style? Doomed pyramid, dark catacombs with a gothic hint? Stick to it, explore the style, create your own style!/20

Lore
Implementing a Lore/Story into the map, and combining it with gameplay/level design is not to be missed!/10

Gameplay
Having a creative gameplay and event rundown planned out is a plus in single player adventures/20
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
entries.png

If you would like to enter the contest simply make a post in this thread, stating the information about your entry.

The lost treasureMarcelo Hossomi

ArcadiaDe.Facto

The lost Temple Amigurumi

City Under Siege w3mapmaker

Lumen Ardnived

Cave of Forgetting Equal

Quest for the Lost Temple Xiliger

Lead the Story - Gem of Life VergilThazaar

Tear of Gabriel Kingz

Leraux Softmints

Dracion X-OMG-X

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on December 29 2009 and conclude on February 21. 2010, 0:00 AM, GMT

Last edited:
Level 7
The contest has been put up now so people can start thinking. Most won't be able to start until approx that date, Midnighters, but that's why there is an 1.5 month long period to work on the map. :)

Level 27
Wow, and who's that professional that will give lectures? Is he's from Blizzard or other famous company?
Heh, I really like the idea of making a dungeon/bunker/whatever in Warcraft... it's even possible to make some kinda like those Escape the room flah games or some kinda like that Penumbra game...
I would join but I'm not professional enough. And unrelyable, I can't make such thing in time...

Level 25
I might join, depending on the idea i get for the map.

Also is there a filesize limit of the map? Or a map size limit?

This is nice as i was thinking of making something more challenging.

About the map, are we allowed to use systems(i am talking about triggers/jass) since it isn't a complete coding contest?

Gl on finding a judge, i suggest you ask purplepoot,deaod,xxdingo93xx,or some of the moderators since they got a fine knowledge of JASS needed for this judging.

EDIT:
1st award said:
1 month long free lecture from a game industry designer.

From who? And how will this be introduced? Lectures meaning what, online lecturing?

Also is the first prize reward or punishment?
Reward, lol :D

It's single player, so no filesize limit but that doesn't mean you can go crazy :p

About the map, are we allowed to use systems(i am talking about triggers/jass) since it isn't a complete coding contest?
Correct, as long as you give credit.

Wow, and who's that professional that will give lectures? Is he's from Blizzard or other famous company?
From who? And how will this be introduced? Lectures meaning what, online lecturing?

Syleona is the professional and she works as a Senior Designer/Art Director for Ubisoft :D

Level 7
So we should make map like Pyramid escape or something like that?

Also is the first prize reward or punishment?

Pyramid escape is a minigame collection. In this case, you need to create an adventure experience for only 1 player. That means, Pyramid Escape is a bad example.

It has to be RPG-like and for only 1 player.

The first prize is probably a reward for anyone, as it will probably grant you insights into design more, and a possible recommendation in the future to a school/company.

Heh, I really like the idea of making a dungeon/bunker/whatever in Warcraft... it's even possible to make some kinda like those Escape the room flah games or some kinda like that Penumbra game...
I would join but I'm not professional enough. And unrelyable, I can't make such thing in time...

The designer, be surprised, or don't, is myself. :) I'm not from Blizzard thou. I'm from Ubisoft actually. The reason I'm looking for someone, is because I've taken a company course to be a lecturer, and for my finals, I will need to introduce a "student" I've lectured for 1 month. Now, since I love this community and wc3 modding, I've decided to come here and provide this offer.

I might join, depending on the idea i get for the map.

This is nice as i was thinking of making something more challenging.

Gl on finding a judge, i suggest you ask purplepoot,deaod,xxdingo93xx,or some of the moderators since they got a fine knowledge of JASS needed for this judging.

EDIT:

The map size can be bigger than the usual battle.net maps, since it's single player and I do not wish to restrict players with their creativity. However, if possible, please do not go above 10-15 Mb of size. If you really must, do it, but try not to. I doubt there would be a need for it, really.

As I mention in the rules, you CAN use systems and assets of any kind AS LONG as you properly credit the user. The emphasis on HOW you use the systems and how creative you are, not on how smart you can code new stuff. Coding your own things is good, but not a must if it limits your creativity. After all, the prize also focuses on "design", not "coding". :) Under design, I mean design of gameplay, design of style and level design, not just terraining.

And this lecturer will be myself. The form it will take, will be online lectures. Combination of video lectures, text, or remote assistance lecturing, and as well active communication between the "student" and myself. So yes, online lecturing from the safety of your home. :)

Level 7
@Real :
Feel free to message me.

@Hindy:
There is no specific coding, but coding is part of anything that comes into creating a gameplay. :)

Also, music is allowed if the owner of the track allows so, is a under a creative common license, or any other way you gain the rights to use it. It's a non commercial mod project, but even then, some tracks require consultation before they can be used anywhere. I have nothing against using custom music either, as long as it's legally sorted and the whole map does not exceed 15 mb of size.

Level 11
I might try. Just need to get ideas.

A question. If we ask in WE help zone about a non working trigger, or how to fix leak, or something similar, is it consider teamwork? I mean, just that someone tells us where the bug is, but not to get someone to fix it by him/her self.

Level 27
I might try. Just need to get ideas.

A question. If we ask in WE help zone about a non working trigger, or how to fix leak, or something similar, is it consider teamwork? I mean, just that someone tells us where the bug is, but not to get someone to fix it by him/her self.

No, it shouldn't, just like Beta testing... But not ALL the trrigers of course...

Level 20
tleno said:
but who has an idea already?

Me. :p

In my map, you are a wizard who ventures into a tomb while chasing some evil guy. To get to him, you have to solve puzzles which rely heavily on telekinesis, freezing spells, flame spells, etc. which interact with the environment (using my physics engine). And there will be an occasional boss I suppose.

But I seriously doubt I'll actually finish anything. :p

Level 23
You mean Azjol-Nerub? If you would make it like this it would be cool:
"War of the Spider. Lich King is victorious and his armies are entering Azjol-Nerub. You need to lead surviving nerubians through Azjol-Nerub to the surface, where they will leave to Sundered Monolith."

Level 27
You mean Azjol-Nerub? If you would make it like this it would be cool:
"War of the Spider. Lich King is victorious and his armies are entering Azjol-Nerub. You need to lead surviving nerubians through Azjol-Nerub to the surface, where they will leave to Sundered Monolith."

Sound better than my "You wake up in a strange room. You feel like you have to get away from it or else you'll die...

Status
Not open for further replies.