• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solo Mapping Competition #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Using destructables with triggers can backfire :p

As you see (thanks to Anachron) i know that you can't put destructable on every single X/Y loc.
Anachron said:
Problem is: Destructables can only be moved every 64px. So if you create one at 127, its created at 64, while on 128, its created on 128. This makes it hard to generate trackables on bottom of it.

I suggest you to put the destructables manualy and do the triggering with manipulations with the existing destructables.

Level 9
My problem is not the potition, I could bypass that by moving the object below. My problem is the Dimensions and since there is no manipulating dimensions via GUI I cannot proceed.

By the way, thank you for helping me.

Attachments

• Destructibles.jpg
    Destructibles.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 81
Level 9
so you mean the x/y/z dimensions?
just place a table with your dimensions, hide it, and when it should be seen,
unhide it.

I cannot hide it, nor create it 'cause there isn't any doodad manipulation via GUI. If I make it destructible then I cannot specify uneven Dimensions (X/Y/Z) only the general destructible's size which would make a huge ugly table.

Level 25
Use units then, change the selection size to 0 and add 'aloc' abilit(locust).

It will now interact like a unselectable doodadd, if you want it selectable remove the locust ability.

Now for it's dimensions use:

• Animation - Change No unit's size to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) of its original size
The selection size 0 will make sure it has no health bar above it.

But you can still do things to it, like break the table, push it or interact with it.

Level 24
- I've been working a lot in triggering, since I'm better at that than terraining. So I've put a lot of things happening in one place without letting the player get bored seeing it. Although a problem stopped my progress. Is there a way to Create/Hide Doodads? (I'm using GUI) What I wanna do is, either create that table above the fire grate (on the right room) with certain dimensions, or even better hide an existing one. If not, mayby there is a workaround?

Why do people associate mystery with a haunted house?

Level 25
Asomath said:
I'm just worried about showing WIPs prematurely, and I'm also worried about showing too much of my project so that it ruins the story line.

Amen to that.

That is why i stoped posting wip, i don't want to ruin the feeling when you play it.
I want the first impression to actualy be the first impression therefore no more WIPs for me, at least not until i finish the terrain and aply the code.

Level 14
Mines about Zombies that can think! The Zombies are in a nuked military base and have crippled everything, you job is to restore the functions within 80 minutes otherwise the zombie horde will awake from thier slumber!
The millitary base inside a metal dome which was built by the zombies to protect from further nuking, though the nuke did not cause the humans to become zombies, humanity had found a strange crystal that could can the effects of radiation, after many months of digging heaps of crystal was found, the soldiers went rebel and took controll of the base, so thats why it was nuked, but with the crystals, they were not killed but rather turned to zombies.
You are Sergent Brick, You may think he is dumb but he is smart, tough and awesome!

Mah map is coming along nicely

Level 5
it looked like someone was having trouble manipulating doodads with triggers, not sure if this problem has been fixed but if you only need to show/hide the doodad there's an easy GUI trigger for it: Animation - Show animation for Doodads of type within Region. You just make a region around your doodads and then use the string "show" or "hide" to make your doodads appear or disappear whenever you need. I hope this helps, because Destructibles are really terrible substitutions for Doodads :(

Also, I'm enjoying these projects! Keep up the good work!!

Level 8
Using destructables with triggers can backfire :p

As you see (thanks to Anachron) i know that you can't put destructable on every single X/Y loc.
This statement is wrong. It works perfectly fine and you can place destructables wherever you want via triggers.

Level 8
RaiN, why not try it yourself? Try to place a destructable at 127., 127. and check its coordinates by GetDestructableX() and GetDestructableY().

You will wonder.

Doodads can be placed anywhere, ofcourse, but not by triggers.

I know it can be placed on any cords you want and it will be created there. I'm not sure if getting its X and Y will show right results but im sure it will be placed properly, cuz I have a FSI of my own and I have my dests set up using really small coords differences(like 5.5 range between eachone)

Level 3
I'm sure that this is an irrelevant question for most contestants, considering that quality should definitely come first over quantity, but is there any sort of length limit? So, if the map took considerably over one hour to complete, would that be a problem? I know that one hour was only a tentative length, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a maximum.

Also, on a related note, maps greater than one hour could also pose a problem for judging, given how popular this contest seems to be, so will that play a factor?

Level 11
Gotcha, thanks! Wait, sorry, just to clarify, are you judging for this? It's just really hard to keep track of this thread; I first saw it when it was already 50 pages. >.<

Well, 871 posts so far. Isn't that easy to keep the point.
Maybe the Admin should create some sub-threads for this competition?

I'm not judging this, but imho I've recognized several discussions in some way.

Level 19
I know it can be placed on any cords you want and it will be created there. I'm not sure if getting its X and Y will show right results but im sure it will be placed properly, cuz I have a FSI of my own and I have my dests set up using really small coords differences(like 5.5 range between eachone)

RaiN is always right!

Level 8
And now I can tell you that GetDestructableX and Y works just fine too after seeing i use that alot too and no probs with it.

Level 24
Seriously guys. Talk less about judging unless you have a legitimate question, and spam less over-all. Talk about your MAPS, or I will start actually moderating this.

There is NO reason to have 60 pages with very few actual WIPs.

Maybe the Admin should create some sub-threads for this competition?

Or maybe you could all post less spam? o_O

Level 15
right now ive finished the blueprints of the castle on paper almost and also the tasks and stuff that go with it but my scanner is down atm so i cannot post it also do i need a story? is that part of the grading? it wont be a problem to do it just a bit of extra time.(story is in my head)

I'm sure that this is an irrelevant question for most contestants, considering that quality should definitely come first over quantity, but is there any sort of length limit? So, if the map took considerably over one hour to complete, would that be a problem? I know that one hour was only a tentative length, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a maximum.

Also, on a related note, maps greater than one hour could also pose a problem for judging, given how popular this contest seems to be, so will that play a factor?

I don't think there's a limit as long as you can manage to keep us entertained for that long :D

Level 6
to: real138

another thing 2 ask... :p

So if i were to use JassNewGenPack, World Editor Unlimited or any other third-party editors; the created map should it be compatible with the newest patch or not? Cause from what i know, WEU & JNGP maps are not compatible with the newer patch.

And also shud the map be optimized by an optimizer? or just leave it be...

Heres pretty much the rules:
-You can use any model/skin imports as long as the original creator is credited
-To my knowledge, you can't use pre-made spells from the spells section, I'm not to sure about systems
-15mb file size limit
-Replayability is not an issue
-Optimization is not allowed
-Beta tests are allowed, as long as testers aren't judges or contestants
-You can use any third party editor programs, as long as you say that in your submission
-No teamwork
-Your final version mustn't have any bugs
-# of traps/riddles/etc. isn't an issue, just fill 90 minutes of play time.

(Checking the first post would be a good idea if you want to know the rules)

Status
Not open for further replies.