• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.29 PTR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Does that equal the stop issue order?
For me, it seems to be the same thing, except that the new function does not fire the "A unit Is issued an order with no target" event. I'm also wondering why they added this function native DeleteHeroAbility takes unit whichUnit, integer abilCode returns nothing. It seems to be a wrapper for UnitRemoveAbility.

Level 14
@aider
Leaks have to be cleaned still. No Garbage Collector has been added.

max execution number is the maximum number of executions possible in one "thread". This is added so you don't create infinite loops and crash the map. basically an infinite loop will execute around 1 666 666 times before stopping. It was 300 000 before.

@BloodSoul
It's for removing hero abilities that you couldn't remove before.

Level 11
HIDDEN CHANGE!
Seems there is no longer a maximum mipmap resolution limit for BLP files. 1920*1080 BLP files will load perfectly in game and appear at full quality if allowed to.
Wouldn't it be another hint of an upcoming remaster? Well I know there was a lot of speculation about this, and it's still uncertain, but...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Wouldn't it be another hint of an upcoming remaster? Well I know there was a lot of speculation about this, and it's still uncertain, but...
I would imagine them adding a BLP2 component to support that since BLP2 files, used by WoW, already had no such limit and also support more modern formats such as real time compression. Either that or they would add .dds support which is how SC2 and most modern Blizzard games store textures.

Level 14
Patch 1.29? W0W I am pretty exited!!! Now that Patch 1.29 is here maybe once Patch 1.30 or 1.29.1 comes I think that the Remaster is coming soon! (I pray that Blizzard Entertainment will finish Diablo Remastered so that they can Remaster Warcraft III right now I heard that they are still working in Diablo Remastered and I think There is also another team who is working in Warcraft III Remastered!) But before that could happened we still need to have fun in Patch 1.29! Because that is what Blizzard Entertainment is all about making Entertaining Games!

Question:
  • Where can I download the Patch?
  • Is there a v1.29TFT where you can download the patch instantly without redownloading the whole game?
  • Tell me where to download v1.29 without reinstalling the game.
I hope you guys could help me out!

And cheer for the upcoming Warcraft III Remaster! I've had a vision that It will be released in December of 2018 or even 2019! It's only my mind playing Warcraft III:cool::D

Level 11
  • Where can I download the Patch?
  • Is there a v1.29TFT where you can download the patch instantly without redownloading the whole game?
  • Tell me where to download v1.29 without reinstalling the game.
It's all in the original post: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762056755
Right now there is no way to download the patch without installing the whole game because it is only a PTR (public test realm, a beta version if you will). You can only download the PTR client, and it is the whole game. The 1.29 patch will come later, once all tests will be done.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Where can I download the Patch?
Nowhere. It is not released yet.

The PTR for the patch is linked to in the main page news. Do not overwrite the existing WC3 install with this PTR as it will conflict. Will require ~1-2GB download.
Is there a v1.29TFT where you can download the patch instantly without redownloading the whole game?
What you are asking makes no sense. You will need to download everything that changes. Since so much is changing, even the final release patch will be ~1-2GB.
Tell me where to download v1.29 without reinstalling the game.
As mentioned earlier. 1.29 has not been released yet. You can download the PTR from the links provided on the main page. This will have to download the full game again which is 1-2 GB. This install cannot be promoted to a release version upon release of 1.29, so it is recommended to uninstall after the PTR ends.

WC3 does not support incremental patching. Hopefully it will eventually be moved to CASC which does but until then expect to redownload most of it each patch.

Level 30
For those of you curious of what the new team colors look like, here's a small collage showcasing all 24 player colors, plus Neutral Passive and Neutral Hostile.

There are some changes to "original" 12. Blue and Pink are a bit darker, while Purple and Light Blue are a bit more saturated. Neutral Hostile is now pure black - it doesn't even use shades from Alpha Channels. Neutral Passive retains shades of alpha channels. Also, there seems to be a mistake with Dark Green and Brown - they have correct glow colors, but the alpha channel on skins are swapped.

In order of appearance:
Red, Blue, Teal, Purple, Yellow;
Orange, Green, Pink, Gray, Light Blue;
Dark Green, Brown, Dark Red, Dark Blue, Dark Teal;
Dark Purple, Dark Yellow, Dark Orange, Dark Green (version 2), Dark Pink;
Dark Gray, Light Pink, Light Yellow, White
Neutral Passive, Neutral Hostile

That Dark Blue is giving me LIFE! It's so royal looking.

Enjoy the previews =)

edit: for those unable to install WC3PTR and preview the changes themselves as they have lost their CD case with the keys, fear not - if you go to your Warcraft III install path (not the one in "My Documents") and open the ROC.W3K and TFT.W3K with Notepad, you can see your CD keys there. If you have a pirated version, all you'll get is a big failure. Go buy the god damn game you cheap ass goose fuck.

Attachments

• TCPreviewBlank.png
    TCPreviewBlank.png
    471.8 KB · Views: 468
  • TCPreviewTerrain.png
    TCPreviewTerrain.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Level 2
It seems that they cleaned up the file structure too. No more MoviePatcher.exe. Game.dll was merged with Warcraft III.exe and a lot more things.

The only issue I have is that I cannot select a native resolution before I uncheck ''Fixed aspect Ratio' I'm not sure if this is the thing listed under 'Known issues'.

I'm still not a big fan of the tiny Reign Of Chaos/Frozen Throne switching icon, I guess most people won't notice how to switch between both campaigns. Also an option to switch between 'Native fullscreen' or 'Windowed Fullscreen' directly in the options would make things more easy.

Does anyone know why they use TGA format for screenshots? Is there any advantage? I mean JPEG format which is used in nearly all other Blizzard games creates much smaller files which can be opened on all systems.

I really love the widescreen support, that was a big suprise. :)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The only issue I have is that I cannot select a native resolution before I uncheck ''Fixed aspect Ratio' I'm not sure if this is the thing listed under 'Known issues'.
That is because your native resolutions are not 4:3... Not an issue, just how it works.
Does anyone know why they use TGA format for screenshots? Is there any advantage? I mean JPEG format which is used in nearly all other Blizzard games creates much smaller files which can be opened on all systems.
Tga files are lossless. JPEG files are lossy. Other games usually have an option to save screenshots in uncompressed formats although they default to JPEG.

However I do agree that an option to take JPEG screenshots would be nice.

Level 2
Dr Super Good:

Doesn't 'fixed aspect ratio' mean that resolutions which are not supported by my hardware or the software will be hidden to prevent e.g. streched 16:9 widescreen if the game itself only supports 4:3?

What I mean is since the game supports widescreen now, that option should show my widescreen resolutions even with that checkbox enabled and should hide 4:3 resolutions instead which are not native for my monitor?

If you have a 16:9 video file and play it on a 16:9 monitor, that option in a video player should have no effect. If you play a 16:9 video on a 4:3 monitor, that option will show you black borders on top and bottom to prevent that the picture is zoomed in and cuts of some parts of the picture. If you play an e.g old 4:3 tv show on a 16:9 tv, that option will make sure that you have black borders on left/right. I thought this option was implemented because W3 had no widescreen support and is now obsolete. Or am I wrong?

Edit: I think I found my logic error, this isn't depending on widescreen support, it is because Warcraft 3 supports a max resolution of 1440x1080 by default.

TGA is lossless, but then even BMP would be the better choice. Most digi cams directly create jpg files too, Blizzard games like Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm, WOW etc too. My main issue with the format is that you cannot share it with other people, because you cannot open these files on all systems without installing a viewer. Also the file size is an issue. :)

Last edited:
Level 35
In order of appearance:

Damn those colors are looking mighty fine. I agree the Dark blue is amazing. Light Yellow and white looks tad to similar and the same for dark gray and neutral color. But still, this is fantastic.

Level 2
For those of you curious of what the new team colors look like, here's a small collage showcasing all 24 player colors, plus Neutral Passive and Neutral Hostile.

There are some changes to "original" 12. Blue and Pink are a bit darker, while Purple and Light Blue are a bit more saturated. Neutral Hostile is now pure black - it doesn't even use shades from Alpha Channels. Neutral Passive retains shades of alpha channels. Also, there seems to be a mistake with Dark Green and Brown - they have correct glow colors, but the alpha channel on skins are swapped.

In order of appearance:

Enjoy the previews =)

edit: for those unable to install WC3PTR and preview the changes themselves as they have lost their CD case with the keys, fear not - if you go to your Warcraft III install path (not the one in "My Documents") and open the ROC.W3K and TFT.W3K with Notepad, you can see your CD keys there. If you have a pirated version, all you'll get is a big failure. Go buy the god damn game you cheap ass goose fuck.

Some of the colors need a bit more differentiation so as to not get them confused between one another, but I have to say...

...Personally, they ruined the "purple" color for me by making it more bright. I MUCH PREFER the older version. And my favorite color is purple--this looks too much like a violet. The royal-purple color in the non-test-server version of WC3 (currently) is much, MUCH better.

Also, on closer inspection, light blue looks way too much like a cyan color. Old light blue is way better.

Last edited:
Level 30
Unfortunately, that's as much you can do with having to execute 25 colors.
If you take the basic coloring rule, which mentions that there's only six* colors that are perfectly distinguishable between each other and add a lighter and darker version of each, you still only got 18+black.

With that being said, they did mention that the team colors are absolutely experimental, and they also gave a nod to the community to suggest their color palettes/choices - if you have an idea, whoop it up on the official Battle.net thread.

*(Yellow, Orange, Red, Purple, Blue, Green)

Level 2
Unfortunately, that's as much you can do with having to execute 25 colors.
If you take the basic coloring rule, which mentions that there's only six* colors that are perfectly distinguishable between each other and add a lighter and darker version of each, you still only got 18+black.

With that being said, they did mention that the team colors are absolutely experimental, and they also gave a nod to the community to suggest their color palettes/choices - if you have an idea, whoop it up on the official Battle.net thread.

I'd be willing to do that. But when they mention "Color selection is an ongoing effort, feel free to leave specific suggestions with color codes," what are they looking for? HEX color codes? Or are there color code schemes that Warcraft 3 uses exclusively?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
HIDDEN CHANGE!
Seems there is no longer a maximum mipmap resolution limit for BLP files. 1920*1080 BLP files will load perfectly in game and appear at full quality if allowed to.

This means one can have a HD loading screen if one wants.
Amazing discovery.

:thumbs_up:

** Update **

Regarding the last sentence, for the record:
1920x1080 Loading Screen

[...] edit: for those unable to install WC3PTR and preview the changes themselves as they have lost their CD case with the keys, fear not - if you go to your Warcraft III install path (not the one in "My Documents") and open the ROC.W3K and TFT.W3K with Notepad, you can see your CD keys there. If you have a pirated version, all you'll get is a big failure. Go buy the god damn game you cheap ass goose fuck.
Replacing Warcraft III CD Key Files

Maybe Blizzard could update their text with your last two sentences?

:wink:

Does anyone know why they use TGA format for screenshots? Is there any advantage?
TGA is lossless, but then even BMP would be the better choice. [...] My main issue with the format is that you cannot share it with other people, because you cannot open these files on all systems without installing a viewer. Also the file size is an issue. :)
Truevision TGA - Wikipedia

TGA files may be big, but they load fast (like BMP ones) iirc

For those of you curious of what the new team colors look like, here's a small collage showcasing all 24 player colors, plus Neutral Passive and Neutral Hostile. [...]

Enjoy the previews =)
[...] there's only six* colors that are perfectly distinguishable between each other [...]

I don't known for the others, but the "True light pink" will look utterly ridiculous on the models [...]

:grin:

rainbow_batman_detective_comics_1.jpg

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Holy COW this is... something else.

I gotta say, I'm almost more excited for the balance changes than the WE changes for once. (This is probably due to the fact that I haven't wrapped my mind around ALL THE CRAZY NEW NATIVES & what they can do, yet. But also, they're changing abilities that have existed for over a decade! Everything I do is based on the precedents set by existing Blizzard stuff! My Whole World Is Changing! IA! IA! CTHULHU PHFLAGH RY'LEH!

~~~

Thanks to @Apheraz Lucent and @BloodSoul for putting up great visuals for what exactly has changed.

I am very much wondering what "more/larger changes" could possibly be... Has anyone seen suggestions that completely rework/remake/replace existing standard abilities/units/heroes/buildings? Is that a thing Blizzard would even do at this point?! Argh!

Very awexome, incredibly gratified, much looking forward to this PTR & upcoming patches.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Very cool stuff indeed. Now that we are able to change many unit specific values, perhaps even more could be added:
Attack Range
Range of Sight
Area of Attack
Attack Projectile Speed
Attack Projectile Path (Model)
Attack Allowed Targets

Also, some global value change possibilities would be nice, like along the lines "Change _______ of unit type _______."
Food Cost
Gold Cost
Lumber Cost
Build Time

EDIT:
Also would be neat to increase maximum movement speed ("Movement Speed" above 522)

Level 30
I'd be willing to do that. But when they mention "Color selection is an ongoing effort, feel free to leave specific suggestions with color codes," what are they looking for? HEX color codes? Or are there color code schemes that Warcraft 3 uses exclusively?
Warcraft 3 uses the RGB system, which means 0-255 of Red, 0-255 of Green and 0-255 of Blue for any color. In non-schematic language, it means any color you could possibly think of.
I imagine they'd be grateful for some color block previews.

Level 4
Im interested in 3 things:
Is there a higher floating text limit?
Is there a function to make unit unselectable but normal functioning otherwise?
Can you carry over my appreciation to the Mini-Blizz staff? Im very glad we got this, and I hope we can get more of these kinds of updates theyre pretty hype! Hoping to see functions related to getting unit tooltips and all other OE natives like keybind or position on unit card

Though I dislike the new shades of purple and Light blue, they dont fit as well as the old ones.

Speaking of which, Blizz made an update vid a long time ago about WC3s update, but the update was actually incredibly minor, I think theyd get some traction if they made another one.
Also, any possible official support possible for things mentioned here: Same Ability with different level essentially to allow different abilities with the same keybind to function normally? Its currently hacky and most people dont even know it exists, but its worth some attention due to its uses.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Doesn't 'fixed aspect ratio' mean that resolutions which are not supported by my hardware or the software will be hidden to prevent e.g. streched 16:9 widescreen if the game itself only supports 4:3?
It means that only 4:3 aspect ratio resolutions will be shown. Or at least that is the modern meaning.
What I mean is since the game supports widescreen now, that option should show my widescreen resolutions even with that checkbox enabled and should hide 4:3 resolutions instead which are not native for my monitor?
The game still is 4:3, just that instead of black bars it will now fill those areas in with content.
In non-schematic language, it means any color you could possibly think of.
Any 24bit sRGB colour. Certainly no HDR colours are supported.
It mentioned a higher tile limit, does that include adding/replacing cliff tiles?
These are purly UI limit changes. The game is still limited to 16 tile types and 2 cliff types. Note that cliff types still implicitly load their associated tile type which counts towards the limit.

Level 35
Am I late to read this?

I literally just jaw-dropped when I saw these patch notes, damn!

What shocked me the most is the 32786 limit to arrays, and also the natives for the SpecialEffects, goodbye Missile, Dummy, Particle libraries!

Haha, I felt the same when I spotted the thread with 8 pages of comments. Spell creators and coders can go nuts now.

Level 5
At first I was super excited upon hearing this. In a way I still am, it's great that this game is finally getting some love that it deserves after all these years. I'm excited about changes in the editor since that will surely vastly increase the quality and versatility of custom maps, despite not being a good map maker myself. But I'm mostly excited by the long overdue balance changes. Unfortunately, while I know nothing is final yet, I strongly disagree with some things. So here's my opinion on the balance changes so far:

As a predominately Orc player, this balance change as it stands now will likely make the race broken on a top competitive level. It was only a matter of time before Blademaster got nerfed, which is fine, but other equally powerful heroes weren't, which is not fine. We all know that critical strike is OP, but Orcs have no choice than to rely on it - simply because Orc units don't deal significant damage. Orcs don't have a hard hitting magic damage air unit, and the only ground ranged unit with good damage is a Berserker that requires T3 which orcs rarely take. As a result, Orcs are entirely dependable on the damage output that Blademaster produces, so much that if he dies in combat the damage of the entire army can drop up to 80%. Some interesting changes were made to Far Seer and TC (removing mana on Far Sight is a good idea), but that's hardly a compensation.

Like I said, BM nerf is not necessarily a bad thing, but Demon Hunter received none. Hopefully his Mana Burn gets nerfed or otherwise Orc/Nelf matchup is broken. Same with Humans - basic strategy is mass caster with Brilliance Aura keeping your army in perma-slow once you run out of dispel. That means that in combat you have a limited window of time in which you need to win the battle or otherwise you're fucked. Your spirit walkers are out of mana, perma-slow is on and you need to use a speed scroll, tp or lose the game. In other words, nerf Brilliance Aura too. And don't get me started on CoilNova combo.

Other than that, I liked the changes on some underused heroes like Crypt Lord and Dreadlord (Carrion Swarm now attacking mechanical units too is a big deal). I feel like units need to be heavily balanced as well, but that's a topic for another time, let's just hope BM is not the only powerful hero getting nerfed this patch.

Also, I'm super excited for 24 players in a single map. Sexy.

24 man uthers party here we go

For some reason the first map I'd love to play with 23 other people is Life of a Peasant.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Maybe they should make color combinations or gradients to make them more distinguishable (and so we can get a fancy rainbow Illidan). Or someone needs to make number attachments. Good luck to color blinds, too.
That could actually work very nicely. Like stripes / dots / cross / split colors. Then again, some units have very small parts of team color. But on the other hand I really can't tell difference between purple-ish colors now.

Yes, this is great News! I hope they will continue to add new natives, there is still a lot of stuff missing.

Also I'd love to have the possibility of adding more than 4 races to the map which can be selected via the race menu.

If Blizzard continues this Path I'll revive my mapping projects, some which have not be seen and heard of yet.

Level 10
I already have an MPI system in mind for modular ability tooltip changes (Sadly no unit specific tooltip changes, but i don't mind that). This update enables me to save more than 200 abilities and upgrades in a map of mine, so this is very welcome. Hopefully i don't encounter any bugs while stresstesting the heck out of the new tooltip and interface natives :D .

Level 4
DeleteHeroAbility; takes unit whichUnit, integer abilCode returns nothing // Remove Hero Ability
DeleteHeroAbility; takes unit whichUnit, integer abilCode returns nothing // Remove Hero Ability

Its listed twice
And if you can remove an ability, shouldnt you be able to add one?

Level 12
There is a native for getting unit's base damage but not bonus damage(green number) from skills/items? Or am I missing something?

I already have an MPI system in mind for modular ability tooltip changes (Sadly no unit specific tooltip changes, but i don't mind that). This update enables me to save more than 200 abilities and upgrades in a map of mine, so this is very welcome. Hopefully i don't encounter any bugs while stresstesting the heck out of the new tooltip and interface natives :D .
If this new natives managing Tooltip works in mp with GetLocalPlayer without desync, then player specific tooltips should be easy to create :), but needs testing first.
Did someone test that, already?

Level 4
Any chance we might see the ability to set different layers of movement (like in SC2, where ground units collide with other ground units and buildings, Collosus with other collosus and buildings, and so on, but with customizable amounts of said layers, and stuff like whether it ignores ground blockers, terrain, water, etc. Id like to make what are basically flying units, that collied with other flying units in a lagless manner).

Also some better 3D sound support?

Status
Not open for further replies.