1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Units have been turned into heroes in our latest Icon Contest! Vote for the best icon set at the Icon Contest #18 Poll!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III - Patch 1.29 PTR

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by StoPCampinGn00b, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Sieben

Sieben

Resources:
    Resources:
    It's all in the original post: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762056755
    Right now there is no way to download the patch without installing the whole game because it is only a PTR (public test realm, a beta version if you will). You can only download the PTR client, and it is the whole game. The 1.29 patch will come later, once all tests will be done.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  2. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Nowhere. It is not released yet.

The PTR for the patch is linked to in the main page news. Do not overwrite the existing WC3 install with this PTR as it will conflict. Will require ~1-2GB download.
    What you are asking makes no sense. You will need to download everything that changes. Since so much is changing, even the final release patch will be ~1-2GB.
    As mentioned earlier. 1.29 has not been released yet. You can download the PTR from the links provided on the main page. This will have to download the full game again which is 1-2 GB. This install cannot be promoted to a release version upon release of 1.29, so it is recommended to uninstall after the PTR ends.

WC3 does not support incremental patching. Hopefully it will eventually be moved to CASC which does but until then expect to redownload most of it each patch.

3. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Some amazing shit is happening with our good old game, and damn is it good to see. Must do some more modding when this releases fully. Darn good stuff and just joyful to see that Blizzard is still looking at Warcraft the RTS.

4. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    For those of you curious of what the new team colors look like, here's a small collage showcasing all 24 player colors, plus Neutral Passive and Neutral Hostile.

There are some changes to "original" 12. Blue and Pink are a bit darker, while Purple and Light Blue are a bit more saturated. Neutral Hostile is now pure black - it doesn't even use shades from Alpha Channels. Neutral Passive retains shades of alpha channels. Also, there seems to be a mistake with Dark Green and Brown - they have correct glow colors, but the alpha channel on skins are swapped.

In order of appearance:
    Red, Blue, Teal, Purple, Yellow;
    Orange, Green, Pink, Gray, Light Blue;
    Dark Green, Brown, Dark Red, Dark Blue, Dark Teal;
    Dark Purple, Dark Yellow, Dark Orange, Dark Green (version 2), Dark Pink;
    Dark Gray, Light Pink, Light Yellow, White
    Neutral Passive, Neutral Hostile

That Dark Blue is giving me LIFE! It's so royal looking.

Enjoy the previews =)

edit: for those unable to install WC3PTR and preview the changes themselves as they have lost their CD case with the keys, fear not - if you go to your Warcraft III install path (not the one in "My Documents") and open the ROC.W3K and TFT.W3K with Notepad, you can see your CD keys there. If you have a pirated version, all you'll get is a big failure. Go buy the god damn game you cheap ass goose fuck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  5. DarhKoopa

DarhKoopa

Resources:
    Resources:
    It seems that they cleaned up the file structure too. No more MoviePatcher.exe. Game.dll was merged with Warcraft III.exe and a lot more things.

The only issue I have is that I cannot select a native resolution before I uncheck ''Fixed aspect Ratio' I'm not sure if this is the thing listed under 'Known issues'.

I'm still not a big fan of the tiny Reign Of Chaos/Frozen Throne switching icon, I guess most people won't notice how to switch between both campaigns. Also an option to switch between 'Native fullscreen' or 'Windowed Fullscreen' directly in the options would make things more easy.

Does anyone know why they use TGA format for screenshots? Is there any advantage? I mean JPEG format which is used in nearly all other Blizzard games creates much smaller files which can be opened on all systems.

I really love the widescreen support, that was a big suprise. :)

6. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    That is because your native resolutions are not 4:3... Not an issue, just how it works.
    Tga files are lossless. JPEG files are lossy. Other games usually have an option to save screenshots in uncompressed formats although they default to JPEG.

However I do agree that an option to take JPEG screenshots would be nice.

7. DarhKoopa

DarhKoopa

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dr Super Good:

Doesn't 'fixed aspect ratio' mean that resolutions which are not supported by my hardware or the software will be hidden to prevent e.g. streched 16:9 widescreen if the game itself only supports 4:3?

What I mean is since the game supports widescreen now, that option should show my widescreen resolutions even with that checkbox enabled and should hide 4:3 resolutions instead which are not native for my monitor?

If you have a 16:9 video file and play it on a 16:9 monitor, that option in a video player should have no effect. If you play a 16:9 video on a 4:3 monitor, that option will show you black borders on top and bottom to prevent that the picture is zoomed in and cuts of some parts of the picture. If you play an e.g old 4:3 tv show on a 16:9 tv, that option will make sure that you have black borders on left/right. I thought this option was implemented because W3 had no widescreen support and is now obsolete. Or am I wrong?

Edit: I think I found my logic error, this isn't depending on widescreen support, it is because Warcraft 3 supports a max resolution of 1440x1080 by default.

TGA is lossless, but then even BMP would be the better choice. Most digi cams directly create jpg files too, Blizzard games like Starcraft 2, Heroes of the Storm, WOW etc too. My main issue with the format is that you cannot share it with other people, because you cannot open these files on all systems without installing a viewer. Also the file size is an issue. :)

8. RED BARON

RED BARON

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Damn those colors are looking mighty fine. I agree the Dark blue is amazing. Light Yellow and white looks tad to similar and the same for dark gray and neutral color. But still, this is fantastic.

9. TZK203

TZK203

Resources:
    Resources:
    Some of the colors need a bit more differentiation so as to not get them confused between one another, but I have to say...

...Personally, they ruined the "purple" color for me by making it more bright. I MUCH PREFER the older version. And my favorite color is purple--this looks too much like a violet. The royal-purple color in the non-test-server version of WC3 (currently) is much, MUCH better.

Also, on closer inspection, light blue looks way too much like a cyan color. Old light blue is way better.

10. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Unfortunately, that's as much you can do with having to execute 25 colors.
    If you take the basic coloring rule, which mentions that there's only six* colors that are perfectly distinguishable between each other and add a lighter and darker version of each, you still only got 18+black.

With that being said, they did mention that the team colors are absolutely experimental, and they also gave a nod to the community to suggest their color palettes/choices - if you have an idea, whoop it up on the official Battle.net thread.

*(Yellow, Orange, Red, Purple, Blue, Green)

11. TZK203

TZK203

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'd be willing to do that. But when they mention "Color selection is an ongoing effort, feel free to leave specific suggestions with color codes," what are they looking for? HEX color codes? Or are there color code schemes that Warcraft 3 uses exclusively?

12. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Amazing discovery.

:thumbs_up:

** Update **

Regarding the last sentence, for the record:
    1920x1080 Loading Screen

Replacing Warcraft III CD Key Files

Maybe Blizzard could update their text with your last two sentences?

:wink:

Truevision TGA - Wikipedia

TGA files may be big, but they load fast (like BMP ones) iirc

:grin:

rainbow_batman_detective_comics_1.jpg

13. Kyrbi0

Kyrbi0

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Holy COW this is... something else.

I gotta say, I'm almost more excited for the balance changes than the WE changes for once. (This is probably due to the fact that I haven't wrapped my mind around ALL THE CRAZY NEW NATIVES & what they can do, yet. But also, they're changing abilities that have existed for over a decade! Everything I do is based on the precedents set by existing Blizzard stuff! My Whole World Is Changing! IA! IA! CTHULHU PHFLAGH RY'LEH!

~~~

Thanks to @Apheraz Lucent and @BloodSoul for putting up great visuals for what exactly has changed.

I am very much wondering what "more/larger changes" could possibly be... Has anyone seen suggestions that completely rework/remake/replace existing standard abilities/units/heroes/buildings? Is that a thing Blizzard would even do at this point?! Argh!

Very awexome, incredibly gratified, much looking forward to this PTR & upcoming patches.

14. chusrubi2

chusrubi2

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay. At least this time they released it in PTR so we can test it properly (already a lot of bugs showed up).

I wonder whats gonna happen with the replay parsers that are around the web, all of them based in WarCraft III replay file format homepage

15. pyf

pyf

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Wasn't v1.28.6 also a PTR?

16. Remixer

Remixer

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Very cool stuff indeed. Now that we are able to change many unit specific values, perhaps even more could be added:
    Attack Range
    Range of Sight
    Area of Attack
    Attack Projectile Speed
    Attack Projectile Path (Model)
    Attack Allowed Targets

Also, some global value change possibilities would be nice, like along the lines "Change _______ of unit type _______."
    Food Cost
    Gold Cost
    Lumber Cost
    Build Time

EDIT:
    Also would be neat to increase maximum movement speed ("Movement Speed" above 522)

17. Apheraz Lucent

Apheraz Lucent

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Warcraft 3 uses the RGB system, which means 0-255 of Red, 0-255 of Green and 0-255 of Blue for any color. In non-schematic language, it means any color you could possibly think of.
    I imagine they'd be grateful for some color block previews.

18. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    It mentioned a higher tile limit, does that include adding/replacing cliff tiles?

19. Somebassoon

Somebassoon

Resources:
    Resources:
    Im interested in 3 things:
    Is there a higher floating text limit?
    Is there a function to make unit unselectable but normal functioning otherwise?
    Can you carry over my appreciation to the Mini-Blizz staff? Im very glad we got this, and I hope we can get more of these kinds of updates theyre pretty hype! Hoping to see functions related to getting unit tooltips and all other OE natives like keybind or position on unit card

Though I dislike the new shades of purple and Light blue, they dont fit as well as the old ones.

Speaking of which, Blizz made an update vid a long time ago about WC3s update, but the update was actually incredibly minor, I think theyd get some traction if they made another one.
    Also, any possible official support possible for things mentioned here: Same Ability with different level essentially to allow different abilities with the same keybind to function normally? Its currently hacky and most people dont even know it exists, but its worth some attention due to its uses.

20. BloodDrunk

BloodDrunk

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The ability to bind inventory slots to letters would be nice without 3rd party apps.