1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Patch 1.30.2 PTR Update

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by TriggerHappy, Sep 27, 2018.

1. mori

mori

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm sorry, but Blizzard are going to do their thing regardless. They are still going to roll out this patch, because they already dedicated the manpower and money to make it happen.

What is ENT trying to show? How it will be without host bots? That's not an entirely honest statement. Yes, ranked bots and autohosted games will be gone, but a lot of people actually don't care for them. Most people will be relieved to see the game list free of the spam of empty lobbies, however flawed the UI is. The custom host function is almost entirely pointless now - because people will be able to host themselves. If Blizzard continues to update the game like some people here are implying, then eventually, it will catch up to hostbot functionality for 95% of the users.

ENT did wrong by pissing off the community even more, and are only instilling unnecessary conflict. I honestly doubt this will change anything. I took me about 2 minutes to forward my ports again and play without bots with my friends, boo-hoo, I don't miss ENT and MMH at all now.

Yes, it's shitty how Blizzard is handling this and they aren't doing right by the community, but neither is ENT and Co. are handling this right. People just want to play games, not take part in all this drama. And for all the crying and complaints and everything else that was thrown in Blizzard's direction, did it ever change anything? It can only change the course of future actions, but it cannot revert what was already done - simply because the resources and the time were already invested.

The ENT admin needs to grow up, and everyone else with him too.

2. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This guy gets it.

People have already jumped the gun with this host bot closure protest whilst the Classics Team are still reiterating their 1.30.2 intentions. It borderlines scaremongering although it fails to hit the mark, "Oh great, now I know what it'll be like to play without 1.30.2's privileges AND without host bots". It's disappointing to see a huge part of the community react so brashly towards blizzards next ambitious step in their plan to modernize Warcraft 3.

3. kantarion

kantarion

Resources:
    Resources:
    Dear Blizz before you do something like deleting bots : 1.Plz make sure your refresh system in custom list is working well ,do radical movements there

2. To do that you need do another interface , those padding system is annoying,extend the visible area of custom game list DUDES its 21 centuary...

Do you really expect me to click refresh,then in a few sec list got updated which create a chaos in a list,then i must SCROLL to see the names of custom games,then list updates again and shit happens,then i click on game which is actually DEAD,then there is no way to exit wc3 even with alt-tab,only task menager helps.
    In a mean while if i want chat with a friend,i must return to chat loby,then if i enter again in custom list lobby = i already lost visual concept + i cant memorize games = cause visally the system is done very bad.

3.Extend the list of filters

4.Advice : Never send a plague to a world (without an actual desire to wipe out whole humanity,but rather to accomplish a specific goal) , without creating a vaccine before all of it .

You actually destroyed modding in 1 hand, magos and mdlvs arent working anymore on newest patches . On the other hand, on previous it works. So,what regular modding person deos is stay on 1.28,or try to have both old and new version = which commonly gives a conflict due installing,or starting wc3 .Not to mention regedit . Also , you never provided a soltion for those radical movements.

Third party software are created by community for easier handing,pleasure with desire to create new things. On the other hand, you are not alllowed to be involve in tool creation and custom map creation RIGHT? What is a solition? Do i have to mention how that cartoon style firm took over a custom game Dota from you and made it standalone - created on your own engine,in your community enviroment,spirit whatever !

Also, you cant rly expect final users to every patch do things manually,with directions how to do it on this forum,no metter how benevolent your hive-blizz members are.

I will give you a solution how 1 older moba game did it ,which took all benefit from Dota 1.Look at it plz

[​IMG]

4. Civiliznations

Civiliznations

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Taking all of the bots offline will alert most of the community as to what is coming on the next patch, when they would otherwise have not read the forum. Now they can give their opinion on the matter instead of the minority here being all that Blizzard reads.

This petition has been shared throughout the Warcraft 3 community. Petition unterschreiben I urge you to sign if you want the hosting bots to stay.

Those servers are paid for by members of the community, and they can take them down if they wish. They provide a service for free which we invest time and money in running. Blizzard gave no indication that they were going to disable hostbots in the next patch, and to spring this on the community with no warning is what created conflict in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  5. juvian

juvian

Resources:
    Resources:
    Funny, in my country all transport or professors go on strike when the goverments screws them over, and no one tells them to grow up :). "Most people will be relieved to see the game list free of the spam of empty lobbies". Make a filter to hide bot games if that is a problem, no need to kill bots to solve it. "The custom host function is almost entirely pointless now - because people will be able to host themselves". I have been able to host myself for years, yet never did it because other people would have impossible to play with delay. Games being hosted by blizzard should fix this yes (although at current ptr delay is insane) but regardless that is in no way the only reason to use bots. Me and many others wouldn't choose to play without reconnection tools, as we do not live in first world countries and have unstable internet, someone would dc without reconnection on 70% of my games. "If Blizzard continues to update the game like some people here are implying" while that sounds very nice, I just see old problems like desyncs still not fixed and instead of solving those, introducing new potential problems. I think they are reshing a bit with everything, too many changes at once. "People just want to play games, not take part in all this drama". Exactly, yet since 1.30 I have to deprotect maps to make them hostable on 1.30, and some others don't work because of desyncs. "ENT did wrong by pissing off the community even more". Guess free services don't have the right to piss off the community like a paid service like blizzard has :)

6. mori

mori

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I just don't think this is a good move or that it will accomplish anything. Blizzard has a monopoly on WC3, they are not required to listen to the whims of the community. Yes, I would prefer that they kept host bots and added an option to filter them, but I can't imagine them keeping host bots around after they introduced encryption to WC3's protocol and binaries. They clearly don't want anyone using bots.

I don't think this is even about the Classic team's decision, I am sure this is some kind of legal/corporate bullshit leaking from Blizzard's upper management.

7. Jouven

Jouven

Resources:
    Resources:

1 Anyone can have bot if it has extra keys and the know how to set it up (bots aren't free they require an extra pair of keys) and anyone with the knowledge to setup ports could always host. But my main point here is being able to host doesn't mean you should host, players want fair multiplayer and won't stand for the "host player with no delay while the rest gets lag" setup knowing something better exists/ed
    2 Ghost++ + gproxy does that (gproxy doesn't work anymore on the official servers)
    3 Ghost++ already does that, they even connect with PVPGN servers
    4 Already addressed this point in a previous post, I don't know about the channel raid spam issue, first time I see it mentioned
    5 "In addition, no you don't get dropped if the host leaves" Doesn't apply or see point 6
    6 Ghost++ + gproxy has a reconnection feature
    7 Download speed can be set on the bot configuration so it can be faster than blizzard cloud system, provided the host is faster, but tbh I haven't seen anyone complaining about map dl speed

The move that blizzard is planning, removing the ability to use bots, is akin to removing the ability to have dedicated servers on a FPS game like Counter-strike, it wouldn't go down well

Regardless of features or if they kill the bots or X, if they, or someone else, don't address the issue I explained @point 1, that will be deal breaker for most of the current multiplayer community or anyone not playing on a lan

PD: I think ENT did the right thing because, IMO, Blizzard won't back about this, in the end they'll lose the ability to run the bots, at least this way the raise awareness of the situation

8. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Pls someone enlight blizzard: players asked for removing bot-abuse with ladder games when bot intentionally feeds to his owner, not for removing ghost bots :LUL:

9. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I think you missed the point Jouven, I'm not saying that these features are new. I'm saying that now, they are more accessible. You shouldn't have to visit or use 3rd party tools to just host a game more effectively than the outdated port-forwarding, that's the bottom line. Obviously, it is a problem for those who are accustomed to using bots for various reasons, but for the majority, it won't be in time.

Also, raising awareness to a situation where there is no chance to win your side doesn't do anything lol.

10. Radicool

Radicool

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well said. I wholeheartedly agree. Also the point about host leaving and others NOT disconnecting is reassuring to know.

1. Perhaps, but there will be no empty lobbies anymore. I'm inclined to think there will be less spam. How about we wait and see how things change? I just took a look at the game list on US West server. There were 5 Footmen Frenzy games. They were all empty, 0 2 people in them. I would imagine a person is less likely to host duplicates if there is an existing game to play. I sat in a lobby for 15 minutes then left. It hadn't yet started. I tried a couple of different lobbies too.
    3. They do do what they want. Lots of people have been upset about how Hostbots operate. For the most part, it could be mostly improved on the Hostbots end yet they haven't.
    4. Users cannot setup a Hostbot without using third party tools.
    5. Great you agree with me! They can collect data on individuals. I wonder if users consent to this in the Warcraft 3 terms and conditions. Probably not.

11. juvian

juvian

Resources:
    Resources:
    "You shouldn'd have to visit or use 3rd party tools to just host a game". Yet I have to use mpq editor to play some maps, and 1.28 to play others. Yes, you can say that blizzard will eventually fix it (which I seriously doubt) but even if they do, that game community is already ded, and would require another year of effort to reach the same point. "but for the majority, it won't be in time". Its unfortunate that we have no way to track these things, so we shall never know. I see the need to add new features, don't see the need to kill old.

12. Dat-C3

Dat-C3

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Blizzard gave up their monopoly as soon as they released their games for anyone to buy, they no longer have any such monopolies as the control of WC3 RoC and TFT is fully in the hands of its players. When Battle.net fails there is always the choice of more stable and improved servers that are free to join and play for anyone, just have to hope for easier guides to find onto there.

Though I am looking forward to the results of a continually updated WC3.

13. Scytharius

Scytharius

Resources:
    Resources:
    It is about time bots are removed and everyone can now host on their own. Super happy about this.

14. item

item

Resources:
    Resources:
    First, I have to say that I saw these requests, but they were always minor and usually related to someone wanting to play with friends and not being able to port forward (and when playing with friends, a sorted game list is the least needed since you can just tell them that name or host anonymously anyway).

I like the cross realm hosting and all the advantages, but the disadvantages are just too severe. Why not implement a filter that is turned on by default that excludes empty lobbies from being displayed? Or povide an API for bots and filter those games?
    I don't mind, please go ahead and allow this "cloud-hosting" of maps, but don't destroy everything else!

15. Darklycan51

Darklycan51

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lol? no

16. lord_Turin

lord_Turin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If this will go live it will frustrate a large part of the community. Even though it seems there are a few of you that would like to see the bots gone i am sure that a LARGE part of the community only plays through the bots, i am one of those. And with me a community of at least 500+ people. And i bet there are more communities out there that function the same way.

Even if they improve the UI of game search dramatically AND add a website that shows the games hosted (i don't go online to see which games are hosted, i just visit MMH or ENT to see if it's worth going online).
    The games will not have the same functionality as bot games.

And knowing blizzards speed with changing things. They will release the patch maybe work to improve it for another 4 months to a year and then release improvements over time. By that time a lot of players will have gotten fed up and left.

Sad times after getting back to more active gaming and modding.
    What's next? remove all custom maps based licenced sources? remove all maps that have imported data which is questionable? remove all custom maps?

17. Abovegame

Abovegame

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This will impact the game for sure, but again people can host their maps with ease now. There was a time when bots didn't exist although Warcraft was more popular back then.

Nevertheless i expect to see some unknown custom maps being hosted and i am looking forward to see what we get as this patch goes live.

18. Anders458

Anders458

Resources:
    Resources:
    StopCampinGn00b is pretty much spot on. What do bots and all of the other tos-violating 3rd party programs provide that Blizzard cannot in the long-term? I can't think of anything.

On the other hand, what can Blizzard provide long-term that 3rd party programs absolutely cannot ever provide? Surely you've already thought of something.

--

ENT, MMH and all of the other communities that have gone on 'strike' is simply appalling, childish behaviour from WC's "leaders". Their official post from ENT: "Blizzard wants to remove Hosting bots from Warcraft 3. If they do, this is what it will be like for everyone". What a disingenuous statement... Blizzard has not even released their replacement for bots yet so there is no available alternative.

So what if the hosting services become obsolete. Will ENT's community suddenly disband if they don't have a "Host a Game" link? Is their traffic really that reliant on people begging to be unbanned for leaving a game early?

Sorry for sounding passionate about that particular issue but the prevailing image of the current leadership folding their arms and shaking their heads at Blizzard... I am sorry to say I think that is a contemptible response.

--

All of that said, with the bumpy release of the previous several patches, it is definitely understandable that people would be skeptical Blizzard can actually deliver a reasonable replacement for the bots. Having looked at the PTR, they still have quite a bit of work to do :). However, the premise of replacing hostbots with a native solution is brilliant.

19. DracoL1ch

DracoL1ch

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    sure there were a time when bots didn't exist. Time of lags, disconnects, drophacks, mass leavers - nobody cares, no stats tracked, nothing to achieve. Bots gave u everything. Blizzard trying to take it away with little filthy nonsense excuses. Yeah. Keep it going.

20. takakenji

takakenji

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    i think this change is going to stick a good dick in my butt