• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III - Patch 1.29 PTR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
Rise, lurkers of Azeroth and the Hive. Patch 1.29 PTR is here!

hivearticlepatch1-29-png.292386

So to dive right into it, perhaps the biggest features include, true native widescreen support, the ability for 24 player maps, major hero balance changes, a new ladder map pool for all ladder modes, the major expansions of World Editor limits (Map size dimensions -> 480x480, object limit -> 30,000, terrain tiles -> 16, and many more limits raised), and over 90 new natives for the World Editor. If you had a hard time taking all of that in because it's absolutely crazy and packed into one loosely formatted paragraph, we can't blame you!

Note that all of these changes are in the public test realm, meaning it has separate Warcraft 3 server and download. But don't worry, these features should hit the main server when they are tested thoroughly enough and are clear for lift off. We went over all of these massive changes in detail below.

hivearticlepatch1-29-01-png.292388

- Widescreen: The game now supports true widescreen; the game no longer stretches to fit a wide resolution.

- 24 Players: Maps are able to be created and played online with up to TWENTY-FOUR players! Prepare for some map makers to go overboard with this!

- Bug fixes: Mac client launches, clans can be created again, hosting bots and cross-realm hosting fixed.

- Streamer/Caster API: An officially supported Streamer/Caster API that allows us to read out information about gold, lumber, food usage, APM and more when observing games live. No more need to use sketchy hacks for this!

hivearticlepatch1-29-02-png.292389

- Hero Balance Changes:
- Heroes: 11 main-race heroes and 6 tavern heroes wield changes, both minor and meta changing
- Move Speed: Nearly all heroes had their move-speed increased from 270 -> 290, some heroes had durations toned down, possibly making for slightly faster gameplay
- Buff: Crypt Lord, Far Seer, Tauren Chieftain, Dreadlord, Firelord, Goblin Tinker, Goblin Alchemist, Dark Ranger
- Nerf: Blademaster (damage items lesser affects critical strike multiplier)
- Adjust: Mountain King, Keeper of the Grove, Warden, Paladin
- Map Pools: All ladder mode map pools (1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and FFA) have been updated with vanilla maps and edited(LV) vanilla maps. See the full map pool list and specific balance details in the full patch notes linked at the bottom.

hivearticlepatch1-29-03-png.292390

- World Editor limit expansions: These raised limits speak for themselves. Go crazy modders!
- Object limit increased to 30,000
- Map dimension size limit increased to 480 x 480
- Tile set limit increased to 16
- Max execution number increased to 1666666
- Max food limit increased to 999
- Max resource limit increased to 9999999
- Array size increased from 8192 to 32768
- Over 90 New Natives: New natives add an array of new possibilities and more control in the editor. @Kam with the help of our users also pioneered the discussion in a Blizzard producer update.
- Full control over special effects : scale, rotate, pitch and more! Say goodbye to dummy units for missiles systems or effect systems.
- Enhanced control over abilities, items and units.
- Even responses to mouse actions.​

FULL PATCH NOTES AND PTR DOWNLOAD: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762056755
Editor changes: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20761976724
Map Pool / Balance changes: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20762006793

Hive bug report thread: [Feedback] Compiled List of 1.29 Bugs & Issues

UPDATE: Warcraft 3 Invitational
In the light of the recent news, Blizzard has decided to set up a giga-event for Wacraft 3 e-sport. Many old-school players are getting together to play on the new patch at Blizzard HQ. Be sure to watch the event on Back2Warcraft stream the 27th and 28th of February.

Over 15 years since the release of Reign of Chaos, Warcraft III has a new major patch coming and your favorite players are throwing the first Warcraft III Invitational to celebrate it!

Hosted by casters Neo and Remo of Back2Warcraft, join us on February 27 and February 28 on Twitch for a slew of special events, including Free-for-All, 4v4’s, and other friendly competitions. Well-known Warcraft III competitors from around the world will be getting together live at Blizzard HQ to showcase their talents in friendly competition!

We love and continue to support our Warcraft III community, and we’re excited to see classic competitors like Manuel “Grubby” Schenkhuizen, Park “Lyn” Joon, and Kim “ReMinD” Sung Sik try out all the new PTR changes for themselves—including balance adjustments to many heroes, widescreen support, and more – all playable now on the PTR!

Be sure to tune in for your own sneak peek and check out our PTR patch notes for more information.

Attendees
• Neo [Observer] Germany
• Remo [Observer] Germany
• Happy [Undead] Russia
• Foggy [Night Elf] Ukraine
• HawK [Human] Russia
• Effect [Human] Sweden
• ReMinD [Night Elf] South Korea
• Lyn [Orc] South Korea
• FoCuS [Orc] South Korea
• LawLiet [Night Elf] South Korea
• Grubby [Orc] Netherlands
• MaDFroG [Undead] Sweden
• Insomnia [Human] Bulgaria
• Tak3r [Orc] Germany

We hope that you guys are just as ecstatic for this patch and the future of Warcraft 3 as we are. And as always, please make sure to provide feedback regarding all these PTR updates so we can see them in great shape when they hit live on the main servers. If there's anything you'd like to share or report, please do so respectfully below, patch discussion, or in the Blizzard forums. Thank you everyone for being so passionate about this game and hopefully this will spark something more :)

Amazing image design credited to the one and only: @Wareditor

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 4
- World Editor limit expansions: These raised limits speak for themselves. Go crazy modders!
- Object limit increased to 30,000
- Map dimension size limit increased to 480 x 480
- Tile set limit increased to 16
- Max execution number increased to 1666666
- Max food limit increased to 999
- Max resource limit increased to 9999999
- Array size increased from 8192 to 32768
- Over 90 New Natives: New natives add an array of new possibilities and more control in the editor. @Kam with the help of our users also pioneered the discussion in a Blizzard producer update.
- Full control over special effects : scale, rotate, pitch and more! Say goodbye to dummy units for missiles systems or effect systems.
- Enhanced control over abilities, items and units.
- Even responses to mouse actions.

These are incredible

Will this fix the unit pathing issues with more than X units?

Level 4
immm so happy thanks so much for this i love so much w3 !
WELL PLAYED HIVE And blizzard keep the new content :)
Now need update to be possible to play custom campaings in 2 players xD

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Found the first bug:
In the Trigger Editor, it is currently not able to change the color of a player to any of the new ones.
A possible workaround I have not tested yet is using "Change Player Color to Color of Player X" instead.
Already wrote it in Hive's Discord, also sharing it here because that should be adressed before the "full"
release of this patch.
I am a color-greedy bastard.

Level 32
Found the first bug:
In the Trigger Editor, it is currently not able to change the color of a player to any of the new ones.
A possible workaround I have not tested yet is using "Change Player Color to Color of Player X" instead.
Already wrote it in Hive's Discord, also sharing it here because that should be adressed before the "full"
release of this patch.
I am a color-greedy bastard.
I believe @TriggerHappy is going to set up a bug report thread for Blizzard to look at :)
EDIT: [Feedback] Compiled List of 1.29 Bugs & Issues

Level 14
Now i only wish WC3 gets on battlenet app on sale so new blood can get in xD
Most of younger people dont even know it can be bought and dunno where...
And once it is there prefferably above Starcraft II so its seen first xd

Level 29
These are incredible news indeed!

This will revolutionize the entire game! Now we are capable of creating far better maps and campaigns.

One of the things that have always annoyed me while playing was the somewhat small food limit. Now we can have truly enormous battles!

Level 4
OH MY GOD.

I wasn't expecting much, just some natives for jass and gui, but damn this is just too much. Just think of the maps we could make with all these changes.

I am extremely pleased.

Level 16
Just when I want to get out, they pull me back in.
Seriously though, this might as well return my once decade old burning desire for Warcraft III.
Mad respect to whoever is responsible for these changes, and thank you Blizzard.

Edit: While we're at it, why aren't they making this game free to play? I'd love to see more players, especially new players get interested.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, HYYYPPEEE!!!

This really made my day (or night, rather). So many years of waiting, and Blizzard finally answer our prayers. Everything is forgiven!

Regarding 24 players though, i gotta say i don't really see what difference this will make... would anyone ever actually manage to fill a lobby with 24 players? Even 12 is a stretch. New colors are awesome, though.

Level 14
Just when I want to get out, they pull me back in.
Seriously though, this might as well return my once decade old burning desire for Warcraft III.
Mad respect to whoever is responsible for these changes, and thank you Blizzard.

Edit: While we're at it, why aren't they making this game free to play? I'd love to see more players, especially new players get interested.
Or just put it on sale for cheaper price on battlenet app so people actually know it exists xD

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, HYYYPPEEE!!!

This really made my day (or night, rather). So many years of waiting, and Blizzard finally answer our prayers. Everything is forgiven!

Regarding 24 players though, i gotta say i don't really see what difference this will make... would anyone ever actually manage to fill a lobby with 24 players? Even 12 is a stretch.
Roleplayers have no issues with that :V i vouch for them and we all appreciate it alot! :D
We always wanted more slots. Now i can decorate my map more :) no more need to save up so much on doodsds to fit under the limit xD
I would like the chat to get more characters allowed though :v
And not to be affected by name changes that cut off excess letters :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
Level 27
I wonder where are all those sour f*cks from few years ago when they announced improvements, saying nothing good will come out of it. Pfft.

Really nice news. Curious to see how will it play back on modding community in terms of activity.

In all fairness the first 3 sets of 1.28 patches were a nightmare for everyone, even the infamous download 2GB of game again and again week.

Hopefully there are changes on the Stun/Slow effects that are hardcoded into some skills.

Last edited:
- Lighting in warcraft3 is horrible. We want something better! :) specially when it comes to casted shadows.
- Allow better FPS mode, this one is a killer for many great ideas, there's no way we can make a cool FPS experiance witing warcraft3 since it's way to clunky.
- Better weather effect? I know it's a weird one, but only few weather effects we have access to are horribly contrasted and repetitive. Give us more options please :D
- Better unwarps, this one might be too much to ask, but hey... if blizzard is willing to update all their WOW models every new patch. I request better warcraft3 visuals, and if it's too much to ask at least better unwarps. some units are hell to work with. *cough*footman*cough*
- Access to the Cliff's textures. Right now we can only change the texture via cliff/texture1. or 2. Perhaps alloud more then 2 types of cliff? and allow modding for all of them?.
- RGB acces to the buff/abilities FX would be interresting. If it's doable. Change the color of a spell without going through custom models.
- Better way to classified stuff in the WE, right now the only ways we can create somewhat of a structure in the object editor is my making cathegories with the use of the Races. I'm thinking allowing folder creations perhaps. also changing the orders of the created units and spells, etc. would help us greatly building maps more quick.

this is what I've got for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.