• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Feedback] Compiled List of 1.28 Bugs & Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
We know that 1.28 was going to be necessary rough patch, no pun intended. And now it's out.

Share everything you know that 1.28 broke, for user and Blizzard reference. World Editor / modding changes will likely dominate this list, but the list does not have to exclusively be of those things.

Try to include:
- What's the problem
- Why to fix it
- Specific details

Ingame:
  • (macOS) Running wc3 will lead to an error saying "Warcraft III was unable to find a CD Key". One fix that might work is to copy and paste your Warcraft III folder into another folder (e.g. Documents), then copy and paste it back into your Applications folder, replacing the existing one.
  • Game freezes when trying to change video settings. (source)
  • Numerous order IDs for abilities were changed, breaking some maps / partially breaking many maps in the process (source) (addressed by Blizzard)

• Infinite "Waiting for other players" on ladder. (fixed)
  • Gamma slider only works with -nativefullscreen. Note: this may be intended--windowed fullscreen and windowed will use your Window's gamma settings. (intended)
  • Host bots can get online and create games, but players cannot join. Fixed.

Modding / Editor:
  • Test map button leads to "Cannot load map data". The test map button saves the map in the war3 directory, but it should be in the Documents folder.
    To workaround this (for now), save your map manually to "Documents/Warcraft III/Maps/Test/WorldEditTestMap.w3m" (or w3x) and the test map button will run that file. (source)
  • Graphical glitch when resizing (image) which wasn't present before. (source)
  • "Trigger Function does not exist in database: IsUnitOwnedByPlayer" message appears and the editor crashes. Unknown to be an isolated issue or widespread. (source)
  • "Allow Local Files" registry parameter appears to no longer do anything. (source) Updated info: Allow Local Files registry key, does work. However, it will ignore all path info and only check for the basename in the local game directory. (source)
(Modding) JassNewGenPack (JNGP):
  • Loads the Reign of Chaos editor without any JNGP features injected into it. This may be related to the new CD-key locations (they are outside the MPQ now). In the meantime, consider downloading MindWorX's WEX bundle. (source) (self-fix solution)

Patching:

Last edited:
Level 37
As of right now, it's just that when JNGP is launched, the RoC editor is launched instead. I think that's what @TriggerHappy meant by "missing features"

There are also some other important things noted by TriggerHappy:
I get "could not load map data" when using the test map feature of World Editor. Apparently test maps are created in the wrong directory (not in documents folder).
Local files not working.

NVS

NVS

Level 2
The order id for the ability Drunken Haze has changed. Previously, it adhered to the value on this list: Order Ids | The Helper. I have no clue if this issue applies to other abilities.

Edit: I checked to see what happened to `elementalfury`.

Drunken Haze (drunkenhaze):
  • 1.27: 852585
  • 1.28: 852586
Storm, Earth, And Fire (elementalfury):
  • 1.27: 852586
  • 1.28: 852587

Last edited:
For anyone using the Vanilla World Editor who wants a workaround to continue working on their maps in the meantime:

Open the WE, save your map to Documents\Warcraft III\Maps\Test\WorldEditTestMap.w3m/w3x and the Test Map feature will work again.

Game
  • Allow Local Files registry paramater appears to no longer do anything.
  • Gamma slider only works with -nativefullscreen (should probably notify the user about that in-game, or something).

World Editor 128

• Test map button no longer works. The map is created in the local game directory when it should be created in the Documents folder.
  • Graphical glitch when resizing (http://i.imgur.com/JjwDIjO.jpg) which wasn't present before.

World Editor 121 & JNGP
  • Loads Reign of Chaos editor which only allows you to edit .w3m maps. It may be related to CD key detection.

WEX - Replacement tool for JNGP. (Download)
  • Works out of the box with world editor 128.

Last edited:
Level 1
I cannot get this new 1.28 update to work ... whenever i click battle.net it just updates in 1 second and after i click restart it says 'Cannot run the application launcher,please reinstall on upgrade manually. i would reinstall but lost my cd long time ago :( any solutions to this?
Thanks in advance

Level 6
Ladder games issue: Inifinite "Waiting for other players".

I cannot get this new 1.28 update to work ... whenever i click battle.net it just updates in 1 second and after i click restart it says 'Cannot run the application launcher,please reinstall on upgrade manually. i would reinstall but lost my cd long time ago :( any solutions to this?
Thanks in advance

Go to Blizzard website, make an account there and enter your cdkey. Then you'll be able to download the game!

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Thanks in advance
@Sunshine1: what chusrubi2 said.

Attaching the CD-Keys you legally bought to your Battle.net account, allows you to download for free the most current digital download version of the game.

Last edited:
Level 30
Infinite waiting for players indeed.
Seems they've accidentally broke something which I think is supposed to sync ladder games, thus making players stuck on loading screen permanently. However, I waited to see how long would this take and it actually counted as a victory for my team when all of the opposing players left. Odd.

Applies to BNet games only, tho. Customs work fine.

Anyone from wc3Arena to share is it same over there?

@KILLCIDE
They've upped both values by one, for undeclared reasons.

Last edited:
Level 12
as soon as I start wc3, the menu pops up and then immediately crashes again. The only error message I get is this code 3D3207B0-90A2-4480-AC2C-FF75679B48FE which is not really useful... :/

/edit: I can test my custom map with the JNGP. But then again, when I leave the map and go into the main menu, it crashes.

Level 6
The video options doesn't show my native resolution in the select list. The max shown is 1080. Is this a bug?

Level 1
I have a crash issue with 1.28.
I think i did properly patch 1.28 as the instructions.
Run tft.exe as admin the game comes out. i can see 1.28 version number at the right bottom but game crashes in a few seconds. no idea how to deal with this...

Level 6
Hosting bots are able to get online but not to create games. They say they create them but you cannot join.

You make /whois to the bot and it says he is in the game you "created".

I experience the same issue as yanluyang - the crash appears to occur when it's loading the game menu UI
Maps can still be accessed via running the test button in the world editor though (which I couldn't do before this patch) on a windows 10 machine
edit: Reading the error logs reports an "ACCESS_VIOLATION" error being the cause of the crash

I've attempted running in various compatibility modes (windows 8,7,xp) but the problem persists (the game is running as admin) I've also tried running in windowed mode and normal, same issue

As an aside, my JNGP works fine

Edit2: I've resolved the issue via copying all the files over the documents and then copying them back and running Warcraft III Launcher again (being the second time) and it ran the update again, this time it seems to have worked properly and now it's working again (though now JNGP doesn't recognise .w3x files but otherwise still launches and runs fine) wouldn't be surprised if only running the Warcraft III Launcher again was the only necessary step

Last edited:
@Sunshine1 @TriggerHappy @NVS @Nordmar @chusrubi2 @Jenzul @yanluyang @Tank-Commander Thanks everyone for posting issues! Keep 'em coming. I've updated the main post with a bunch of them.

If you have a patching problem, make sure you mention your operating system (e.g. Windows 10), and include a screenshot of any errors if you can. :) And if anyone knows a solution to any of these problems, feel free to post it here and ping me by writing @PurgeandFire in your post (or ping SCN).

Reactions: pyf
Level 6
I just have read the main post and I have a question. Where are cdkeys stored now? I'd like to switch my key without having to reinstall.

Level 1
@Sunshine1: what chusrubi2 said.

Attaching the CD-Keys you legally bought to your Battle.net account, allows you to download for free the most current digital download version of the game.

Hmm so is there anyway how to reveal ur cd key ur using bcs i lost that too -_- Im using windows 7 Home premium and heres the error:
upload_2017-4-5_15-55-55.png

Level 11
For those who don't want their stuff moved to the documents folder:

The Complete Guide to Creating Symbolic Links (aka Symlinks) on Windows

You can move it back to the wc3 folder (or anywhere you want, really) and make a symbolic link in your documents folder. Wc3 and anything else that looks in your documents will "see" it there, though its actual location will be in the wc3 folder (or elsewhere).

EDIT: Is it just me or does the widescreen resolutions look fuzzier? It's like they were doing some anti aliasing they weren't before.

Personally I'd prefer jaggies.

Last edited:
Level 14
Unfortunatly, I cannot apply the new update, I get this in-game error message:

yql38t75.jpg

EDIT: Ok, its sufficient to start Wc3 with admin rights. Didn't try this at first, because it was never neccessary until now, but the problem is fixed.

EDIT 2: Ok, now I get this error message with the error code BLZBNTAGT0000097A. System is Windows 7 64 bit, I tried updating from 1.26 and 1.27, both didn't work.

Last edited:
Level 1
Win 7

After it moves my maps to my documents, it appears to load both the install folder/maps and my documents/warcraft 3/maps.

The in-game list shows two "Downloads" and "Scenario" folders

upload_2017-4-5_23-3-21.png

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] Where are cdkeys stored now? I'd like to switch my key without having to reinstall.
One does not switch CD-Keys. You must first uninstall your copy of the game from Add/Remove Programs, and then reinstall it with the other CD-Keys you legally bought.

Hmm so is there anyway how to reveal ur cd key ur using bcs i lost that too [...]
If you lost your CD-Key, then consider you lost your copy of the game.

Apparently, the texture swapping approach for models using the warclub ability no longer works in 1.28. It did work in 1.27b.

Symptoms: all models that use this approach are now white, untextured.
How to check: Simply start a Gaias game in singleplayer. You will see all models using this approach have a blank white texture.
Why this is important: It's the only known method for changing the model texture of units ingame.

Possible reason: The warclub order ID got messed up and shifted like the reported shift on Drunkenhaze.
I suppose Blizzard didn't touch the feature itself, since it is used by the regular WC3 unit mountain giant. I highly suspect the order ID.

I'll report back once I get the WE back working and tried it.

EDIT: Can't get the WE to work. Both Newgen and WEX do not work. While WEX does start properly, it doesn't have any features of newgen, which makes writing vJASS impossible.
Newgen on the other hand does not start the Frozen throne editor, but the ROC editor, which makes it impossible to load w3x maps.

Last edited:
Apparently, the texture swapping approach for models using the warclub ability no longer works in 1.28. It did work in 1.27b.

That's false. I have personally tested multiple systems which use it.

At first I thought it was broken because one of my maps had all white textures, however it was an old version and when I tested a newer version it worked.

I may have tested on two different computers though, so I'll do some more thorough testing. Maybe it's only broken on some PCs. But I can confirm war club worked for me on 1.28.

Hmm so is there anyway how to reveal ur cd key ur using bcs i lost that too -_- Im using windows 7 Home premium and heres the error:
View attachment 264501

If you're on patch 1.28 it places your CD keys in your game directory.

That's false. I have personally tested multiple systems which use it.

At first I thought it was broken because one of my maps had all white textures, however it was an old version and when I tested a newer version it worked.

I may have tested on two different computers though, so I'll do some more thorough testing. Maybe it's only broken on some PCs. But I can confirm war club worked for me on 1.28.

If you're on patch 1.28 it places your CD keys in your game directory.
Here's the code i'm using:

JASS:
library ChangeTexture

private function ChangeTextureDelayed takes nothing returns nothing
    local timer t = GetExpiredTimer()
    local unit u = LoadUnitHandle(TimerHash, GetHandleId(t), 0)
    local destructable d = LoadDestructableHandle(TimerHash, GetHandleId(t), 1)
    local real a = GetUnitFacing(u)*bj_DEGTORAD 
    if LastIndex[u] == 0 then
        call UnitAddAbility(u, 'A0BG') //sets attack index 1
    else
        call UnitAddAbility(u, 'A0BD') //sets attack index 2
    endif
    call IssueTargetOrder(u,"grabtree",d)
    if GetDestructableLife(d) <= 0 then
        if d != null then
            call RemoveDestructable(d)
        endif
        call FlushChildHashtable(TimerHash, GetHandleId(t))
        call PauseTimer(t)
        call DestroyTimer(t)
    else
        if not IsUnitInRangeXY(u, GetDestructableX(d), GetDestructableY(d), 500) then //dest is too far away now; create a new
            if d != null then
            endif
            set d = CreateDestructable(LastTexture[u],GetUnitX(u) + 12*Cos(a),GetUnitY(u) + 12*Sin(a),0,.1,1)
            call SaveDestructableHandle(TimerHash, GetHandleId(t), 1, d)
        endif
            if d != null then
            endif
            call FlushChildHashtable(TimerHash, GetHandleId(t))
            call PauseTimer(t)
            call DestroyTimer(t)
        endif
    endif
    call UnitRemoveAbility(u, 'A0BD')
    call UnitRemoveAbility(u, 'A0BG')
    set u = null
    set t = null
    set d = null
endfunction

function ChangeTexture takes unit u, integer dtype, boolean secondindex returns nothing
     local real a = GetUnitFacing(u)*bj_DEGTORAD 
     local destructable d = null
     local timer t = null
     if dtype != 0 then
         set LastTexture[u] = dtype
     else
         if secondindex then
            set LastIndex[u] = 1
         else
            set LastIndex[u] = 0
         endif
     endif
     if LastIndex[u] == 0 then
        call UnitAddAbility(u, 'A0BG') //sets attack index 1
     else
        call UnitAddAbility(u, 'A0BD') //sets attack index 2
     endif
     set d = CreateDestructable(LastTexture[u],GetUnitX(u) + 12*Cos(a),GetUnitY(u) + 12*Sin(a),0,.1,1)
        if d != null then
        endif
     else
        set t = CreateTimer()
        call SaveUnitHandle(TimerHash, GetHandleId(t), 0, u)
        call SaveDestructableHandle(TimerHash, GetHandleId(t), 1, d)
        call TimerStart(t, 0.1, true, function ChangeTextureDelayed)
     endif
     call UnitRemoveAbility(u, 'A0BD')
     call UnitRemoveAbility(u, 'A0BG')
     set t = null
     set d = null
endfunction

endlibrary

As you can see, it's all regular stuff. It doesn't even use the order id but uses the string order. I did not change anything, yet it suddenly stopped working with 1.28.

Level 1
thanks to Tank-Commander, he reminds me and i have solved my issues.
the reason that game crashed should be that there are way too many data of my map and reps.. they are a few GBs.... when i back them up, delete them and rerstart wc3 it works... anyway ty very much im very happy to play 1.28 now :))))

Okay, I checked one of the demo maps on the original texture swapping and the demo map apparently works.

So there must be something else in my code that worked in 1.27b, but stopped working in 1.28. Note that I did not change anything about it, so it MUST be something blizzard changed.

The alternative is that blizzard changed something about how blps get loaded. Dunno. Maybe they changed the way mipmaps work internally?

Dunno really. The only way I can find out if that is the case is when blizzard retro-fixes newgen.

Level 6
One does not switch CD-Keys. You must first uninstall your copy of the game from Add/Remove Programs, and then reinstall it with the other CD-Keys you legally bought.

That's not enterely true. There's a public cdkey changer running wild on the internet.

Still, it'd be thankful if you know where they are stored now, to say it.

@PurgeandFire There's also an issue with RoC. Some users can't launch RoC after installing the patch, it executes TFT directly. (Windows 10).

Last edited:
Okay, I checked one of the demo maps on the original texture swapping and the demo map apparently works.

I have two versions of my map, one with with white textures (protected though) and one that works correctly. I'll compare the two and see if I can find the cause.

Now can't play with ssd ? (if system drive only for OS and every memory bit need save for OS normal works)

You can create a link like the other user suggested, or move your documents folder to your HDD (what I do).

I have two versions of my map, one with with white textures (protected though) and one that works correctly. I'll compare the two and see if I can find the cause.
CONFIRMED!

It seems to be an issue that only happens with optimized maps. I played the unprotected version of Gaias (otherwise completely identical) and it correctly displays the textures there.

CONFIRMED!

It seems to be an issue that only happens with optimized maps. I played the unprotected version of Gaias (otherwise completely identical) and it correctly displays the textures there.

I didn't consider that lol. Try unchecking optimize BLP textures on vex's tool then.

Still, hopefully Blizzard can fix this without us having to do anything.

SharpCraft World Editor Extended Bundle does not work with 1.28. The plugins are not loaded. See attachment.

It looks exactly the same in 1.27. It's working fine, except the configuration tab is broken. Notice TESH is installed and so are custom tabs.

Most tools included in JNGP are not included in WEX, yet.

I'll work on getting a proper package working for 1.28.

EDIT: or some things may be messed up, I have to look more into it. however many things are working.

Last edited:
Can't. With the migration of the WC3 directory, Vex' optimizer can no longer find common.j.

EDIT: This should be added to the list in the initial post.

Go to tweaks and set a custom common/blizzard.j. You can use the ones attached.

Attachments

• common.j
    162.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Blizzard.j
    441.3 KB · Views: 113

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Their JASS2 syntax checker / compiler hangs on this:
JASS:
function fun takes nothing returns integer
endfunction

Edit: When herobar=0, unused ability point indicator still visible:
upload_2017-4-5_20-21-29.png

Last edited by a moderator:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
That's not enterely true. There's a public cdkey changer running wild on the internet.

Still, it'd be thankful if you know where they are stored now, to say it. [...]
It is a third-party tool, which is not endorsed by Blizzard Entertainment afaik.

Quoting @TriggerHappy from another post in this thread, "If you're on patch 1.28 it places your CD keys in your game directory."

As for me, I am still using v1.27b because I am waiting for a standalone 1.28 patch to download.

I didn't consider that lol. Try unchecking optimize BLP textures on vex's tool then.

Still, hopefully Blizzard can fix this without us having to do anything.
Out of curiosity, is BLP optimization still important with a 128 MB map file size limit?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.