• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Feedback] Compiled List of 1.28 Bugs & Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
not too computer savvy- what does 'run as administer' mean?

thanks
Right click your Warcraft 3, and you just click Run as administrator. Should do the trick.
20100804A01.png

Anyone got any easy workarounds for the Allow Local Files option being broken? I need the editor to load a custom Terrain.slk for one of my maps.

I would wait until the hotfix comes. That issue is definitely on their radar.

So, the same error apperas over and over again,i tried reinstalling it (got cd and keys),tryed with this wc3 launcher which does update the game to 1.28 but then its just error all the way :( no idea how to deal with this...

Some people on the classic forums said this can happen if your Windows user account has non-English characters in it. You can follow this guide to create a new account with admin privileges:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13951/windows-create-user-account

When naming your new account, use plain english characters, e.g. "Bob". Avoid anything like "Albérto" or "Ωƒß∂å". Let me know if it works. :)

Last edited:
Level 14
It seems that version switchers also don't work anymore with the newest patch...

This is problematic because for most replays out there one has to change the version all the time. While version switchers provided a convenient way to do so, I cannot always reinstall Wc3 just to watch a replay.

Even worse, I tried this version switcher to go back to 1.26 and from there on the game doesn't start anymore (CD key not found, please insert CD although the original CD is inserted already)... So I have to reinstall now to be able to play again, but that won't fix the replay issues.

Level 6
It seems that version switchers also don't work anymore with the newest patch...

This is problematic because for most replays out there one has to change the version all the time. While version switchers provided a convenient way to do so, I cannot always reinstall Wc3 just to watch a replay.

Even worse, I tried this version switcher to go back to 1.26 and from there on the game doesn't start anymore (CD key not found, please insert CD although the original CD is inserted already)... So I have to reinstall now to be able to play again, but that won't fix the replay issues.

Try this: http://rocarena.com/np/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=38

But A LOT of replays will be bugged due to the order ID issue. Once they release a patch fixing it, this tool will work like a charm and you won't have to change of version if the replay is from above 1.26 (1.26 included).

Level 2
Running the latest version of Apple's latest operating system macOS Sierra as administrator, whenever I try to launch WC3FT I get WC3ROC instead. Does someone know how to solve this problem?

Level 1
You broke the compatibility of versions 1.27a and 1.28a on ghost bots.
Patch 1.28a works now only with version 1.26a on ghost bot

LjIgP.jpg

Level 1
is blizzard even doing anything or trying to force people to play SC for free then pay for the remaster? they havnt even replied or made any comments in like 4 days? smh

Level 14
Try this: http://rocarena.com/np/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=38

But A LOT of replays will be bugged due to the order ID issue. Once they release a patch fixing it, this tool will work like a charm and you won't have to change of version if the replay is from above 1.26 (1.26 included).

How can this tool convert a replay to the most recent version if there were gameplay changes?

Thanks for the link (I don't know this tool), but this only works for patches that had no gameplay changes, right?

If so, that wouldn't help much unfortunatly, because many old replays from pre 1.26 wouldn't work...

Level 2
Functionalities in Dota don't seem to work properly now:

1) If you double click on either "Clarity Potions", "Salves", and "Urn of Shadows" the object will simply disappear from the player's inventory without having any effect on the controlled unit itself

2) Warcraft 3 seems to be having sudden and random graphical "Framerate drops", "slowdowns", and "stutters" in-game without having any excessive action on screen

3) Replays do not function properly

The patch broke a lot of things and the problem is that some mods such as Dota have been left out untouched by their respective owners for a long time now.
So who is going to adjust those problems now?

A lot of Warcraft 3 users are not too "computer savvy" and when I see all the technical steps needed and required to make this patch work for the average "Joe" on the street who bought his game to have some fun, it could lead me to think that Blizzard may have been trying to "weed out" people from this game.

I have been reading people say they abandon Warcraft 3 because they simply cannot get Warcraft 3 to work anymore. Is this acceptable?
Warcraft 3 community is thin now, don't break it by weeding out more and more people on every patch. Unless this is your end goal?

Level 6
How can this tool convert a replay to the most recent version if there were gameplay changes?

Thanks for the link (I don't know this tool), but this only works for patches that had no gameplay changes, right?

If so, that wouldn't help much unfortunatly, because many old replays from pre 1.26 wouldn't work...

Exactly, if there are gameplay changes the tool is useless. That's why you can convert a replay from 1.26 to 1.27b without any problem. Now there was a mistake with order IDs so it doesn't work properly.

But they're gonna fix it (we hope soon) and it will become 100% functional again.

Level 14
Polish version(probably other than English one suffer from this too) Lots of ingame text and over 60% of text in World Editor is replaced with......this: http://i.imgur.com/2TAuMbb.jpg
Here are ingame examples:
http://i.imgur.com/XDhzxpI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HVYk9SD.jpg
Invisible text(also most of bnet announcements and chat, Clan Tab also has broken text like Custom Campaigns and WE)
http://i.imgur.com/6DDGpRe.jpg

It renders WE pretty much unusable. FIX IT! And OP please add it to op post

Last edited:
Functionalities in Dota don't seem to work properly now:

1) If you double click on either "Clarity Potions", "Salves", and "Urn of Shadows" the object will simply disappear from the player's inventory without having any effect on the controlled unit itself
Considering the gravity of the order ID bug, I am more than surprised that there arent other issues with DOTA. Pretty much every second ability that uses dummy casters should be broken if the map was optimized.

And this goes for all maps, not just DOTA.

This patch probably broke more maps than 1.24 did back in the days.

Level 21
I had a bug with buff/debuff icons not displaying at all (but hovering over their supposed location displayed their tooltips!), just after updating on patch-release day.

Funnily enough, after messing around with re-installations and .mpq edits these icons are back in action...

Now the only thing that's left to fix for me - SO FAR - is the test map function with Newgen.

edit: Testing the map with Newgen works, if you save the map in C:\Users\username\Documents\Warcraft III\Maps\Test and name it WorldEditTestMap.

Last edited:
Level 8
The random like nature of those numbers points towards them possibly being based on internal ordering of the code. This might be the reason why GUI used order strings rather than ids as those were more future proof. They might need to hard-code the numbers now in a case statement or lookup table to prevent this from happening in the future.
That would be nice, if only string orders weren't also broken. Before and after optimization. Game translate string orders to the older order ids instead of the current ones.

Only version of WC3 supported is the latest 1.28, so you do not need to worry about prior. Any issues should be resolved over the next few patches.
Understood. But feedback from pirates is just as valid for map developers as any feedback.

Even if disregard this, why do they need the community to make debuggers such jassspy, optimizers such as vexoptimizer, multiwindow for multiplayer testing, widgetizers for faster loading and handling, newgen editor!, that break with each version and dont just release official versions of this tools for the mapmakers?

Don't they want maps to be developed? They think we want to keep using WVS (which btw its broken and doesnt work now) to switch back versions to use our tools(which doesnt work now anyway) ?

Last edited:
Level 4
Can we get rough estimate of when next patch drops? I just want to know if it's within next week or 2 at longest and not that it will be 'months' like between last few updates...
Very soon (Think rounds of hotfixes)

So you don't even get to the Classic Launcher?
What is your user computer username?

Polish version(probably other than English one suffer from this too) Lots of ingame text and over 60% of text in World Editor is replaced with......this: http://i.imgur.com/2TAuMbb.jpg
Here are ingame examples:
http://i.imgur.com/XDhzxpI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/HVYk9SD.jpg
Invisible text(also most of bnet announcements and chat, Clan Tab also has broken text like Custom Campaigns and WE)
http://i.imgur.com/6DDGpRe.jpg

It renders WE pretty much unusable. FIX IT! And OP please add it to op post
Fixing.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Did I just see a blue post on Hive? What is happening? O_O
I'd also like some clarification on what does "Blizzard" status in hive mean. For example in the context of official battle.net forums, blue posters represent Blizzard. Is this the case in hive as well?

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I'd also like some clarification on what does "Blizzard" status in hive mean. For example in the context of official battle.net forums, blue posters represent Blizzard. Is this the case in hive as well?

Yes this is the case. He works for Blizzard. In fact he works on the Warcraft III maintenance team that is creating the patches, hence why he visits and posts here.

Quoted from his profile info tab:

"Staff Position: Blizzard
(Anything I say is my own personal opinion and not that of Blizzard Entertainment)"

Level 14
Another thing that i've noticed... native full screen doesnt work correctly, instead of creating black bars and displaying the game as before in middle of the screen it now just displays it on top left corner in set resolution, making bottom and rigth side black instead. Since i cannot even access Settings menu due to hand i cannot check if that would change by choosing other resolution. So if you could check it out aswell, that would be nice.

Hey, I want a blue title!!!!! looks neat :)

BTW, how aware are Blizzard about the jassers, vJASSers and all the outrageous things (AKA JNGP) we do in order to do good maps? The impressions are not too good in our favor.

They are completely aware of JNGP, but I don't think they will go too much out of their way to support it (take patch 1.28 for example).

However there are some things they aren't aware of in relation to modding, but there are people at THW who are helping in that area.

Level 4

Yes this is the case. He works for Blizzard. In fact he works on the Warcraft III maintenance team that is creating the patches, hence why he visits and posts here.

Quoted from his profile info tab:

"Staff Position: Blizzard
(Anything I say is my own personal opinion and not that of Blizzard Entertainment)"
Hypocrisy?

Originally I was planning on being around to watch the communities reaction to different changes and not be active(Initially made the account over a year ago). After seeing feedback from the community I found the most common critique was that we were not offering enough presence/communication so hopefully I can be of help. I can't go too deep into specifics of course but I want to help the Warcraft III community that has been modding and playing Warcraft III over the past decade.

I can't guarantee that I can respond to everyone's request, but I'll do what I can

@brad_c6 Thanks for the reply :)

Please run and install the Blizzard App and ensure it's completely up to date. Then relaunch the "Warcraft III Launcher.exe" in your game installation folder and ensure that there is no update available? (Don't expect it to fix it, but I would like to ensure that all your local files are synchronized)

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Originally I was planning on being around to watch the communities reaction to different changes and not be active(Initially made the account over a year ago). After seeing feedback from the community I found the most common critique was that we were not offering enough presence/communication so hopefully I can be of help. I can't go too deep into specifics of course but I want to help the Warcraft III community that has been modding and playing Warcraft III over the past decade.

I can't guarantee that I can respond to everyone's request, but I'll do what I can
So cool. : )

No specifics, gotcha. But how likely is there to be an Elemental chosen as the potential new Neutral/Tavern hero? *shoves microphone in face*

Level 2
brad_c6:

Are you guys at Blizzard aware about the issue, that starting Reign of Chaos (via Warcraft III.exe or if you select Reign of Chaos in the launcher) opens The Frozen Throne for some people since patch 1.28? I posted the issue here and in the Blizzard Classic forum, but sadly never got any reply if the the issue is known.

[Edit] Sorry, wasn't aware that he already replied related to that issue

Last edited:
Level 2
Since the patch has been, BUGS I now have .........

1. When I alt tab to minimize WC, it doesn't minimize, it layers other windows, apps everything I have open over the top of the WC screen.

Do you have opengl activated via edited tft shortcut? switching to standard fixes this problem for me... sadly vsync off via graphic card driver doesnt work for me then, which is necessary to fix / completely deactivate mouse smoothing. so you gotta "pick your poison" in that case, i guess... :sad:

Level 4
brad_c6:

Are you guys at Blizzard aware about the issue, that starting Reign of Chaos (via Warcraft III.exe or if you select Reign of Chaos in the launcher) opens The Frozen Throne for some people since patch 1.28? I posted the issue here and in the Blizzard Classic forum, but sadly never got any reply if the the issue is known.

[Edit] Sorry, wasn't aware that he already replied related to that issue

Are you playing the German version? Are you using the launcher exes? (Warcraft III.exe & Frozen Throne.exe)

I think it is a problem only with the German version, please inform me if anyone is experiencing it with another language when directly running the launchers.

I have seen instances where the shortcut was changed to point to War3.exe too. (another bug)

Level 1
Very soon (Think rounds of hotfixes)

So you don't even get to the Classic Launcher?
What is your user computer username?

Fixing.....

i get to a launcher then says there was an error blah blah please check internet connection blah blah, username is just my name no fancy shit

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I tested the Allow Local Files registry key, and it does work. However
Preloader
seems to not work anymore, for local files at least.
Checked if they are being placed in Documents now? Maybe that is where the break is, part of WC3 might still be trying to preload map generated files from the install directory instead of documents.

Level 32
Yes yes and yes.
Blizzard employee(s) have been viewing the forums for quite a while. A few days ago, the Administration granted a blue & Blizzard status for brad so his replies will be more noticeable. However, don't take everything he posts as official Blizzard statements and such. He does work there, but we didn't go through some fancy process in order to get him as an "official legal Blizzard representative", if a thing that silly even exists. But anyhow, he's been helping out a lot whether if it's helping users troubleshoot issues or addressing bugs and issues on the list. That's part of the reason he's here for and we're super happy about it!

Anyhow, thank you everyone who helped compile the list. Kam and Purge helped edit and add on to it with me, and everyone else here brought some valuable feedback :)

Hey, I want a blue title!!!!! looks neat :)

BTW, how aware are Blizzard about the jassers, vJASSers and all the outrageous things (AKA JNGP) we do in order to do good maps? The impressions are not too good in our favor.
I'm not going to speak for brad or anyone else on the classic team, so if he wants to reply, he can. If not, it's all good. But from what I know and can say:

Without being too specific, yes, they've been very aware for a long time. Some members part of the feedback team (unnamed) are experts in those fields. We all also understand that the impressions are pretty bad right now, and that it is very unfortunate that essential modding tools broke. But I do know that it is absolutely not the intention to break up the modding community telling from our constant contact with Blizzard. It's just that in order to get some of the new, necessary, patches through, there's sometimes no choice (or no telling) for things to break along with it, as what happened with this patch.

Last edited:
@Dr Super Good The issue is that Preloader will ignore all path info and only check for the basename in the local game directory.

For example, if you have a file called "test.pld" in your WC3 root directory, the code below will still execute that file.

JASS:
call Preloader("This\\Path\\Doesnt\\Exist\\test.pld")
This however prevents us from preloading files in sub-directories (save files).

Level 6
Are you playing the German version? Are you using the launcher exes? (Warcraft III.exe & Frozen Throne.exe)

I think it is a problem only with the German version, please inform me if anyone is experiencing it with another language when directly running the launchers.

I have seen instances where the shortcut was changed to point to War3.exe too. (another bug)

I had this very same issue with Spanish language.

Level 2

Thanks for your reply, Yes, I'm using the German version. 'Warcraft III Launcher.exe' and selecting 'Reign of Chaos' starts Frozen Throne. Double click on 'Warcraft III.exe' opens TFT too, there is a ROC image when starting the game for a few seconds, but then I launches TFT. The only think which worked was adding a -classic switch to Warcraft III.exe.
Here is a screenshot to make it clear what I mean:
http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/download/w3.png

There is also a small alignment issue in the German version with the 'Transparency' option in Graphic settings:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/download/w3align.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.