• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Feedback] Compiled List of 1.28 Bugs & Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
That worked.

However, I can confirm the culprit is not the "Clean BLPs" feature of map optimizer. I unchecked that and optimized again, same result; models displayed white.

On my laptop (doesn't happen on my desktop), with versions 1.27+, games ran through vex's optimizer crash when selecting them on the list. I have to manually protect my maps to prevent the crash, by exporting the protected version's war3map.w3i and replacing it in my map, and manually removing all WE files, then the crash stops. Something similar may work for the white textures.

On my laptop (doesn't happen on my desktop), with versions 1.27+, games ran through vex's optimizer crash when selecting them on the list. I have to manually protect my maps to prevent the crash, by exporting the protected version's war3map.w3i and replacing it in my map, and manually removing all WE files, then the crash stops. Something similar may work for the white textures.
I could successfully isolate the problem.

It seems that my initial guess was right:

the "grabtree" order ID got shifted from 852511 to 852512.

So why does it work on unprotected maps then? Simple: the order string table has the new values and maps "grabtree" to 852512 internally.
However, what Vex optimizer does is replacing all string-based orders by their respective ID to make the code execute faster. Which results in "grabtree" to be replaced by the old value of 852511 instead of 852512. Unchecking "optimize script" will disable that feature and make the order fire properly when using a string-based order.

It seems that blizzard added a new order ID in 1.28, which resulted all orders beyond a certain ID to get shifted by 1.

However, this lets me assume that lots of other orders will also be mapped to the wrong ID in 1.28. We have to wait for blizz to fix this or update our maps to use only order IDs and create an updated table of order IDs for look-up.

TLDR:
All maps that used the "optimize script" feature of Vex' optimizer will probably have odd bugs with all spells and systems that issue orders.

Last edited:
Reactions: pyf
@Zwiebelchen Do you know what order ID was added?
Unfortunately, no.

To find that out, we have to find the first order ID where the ID shifting occured. This is gonna be a huge pain in the ass.

And thats exactly why I'm pissed that blizzard did not tell us what bugs they fixed. We could probably investigate that bug much faster than they do if we knew what exactly they fixed.

Level 6
Unfortunately, no.

To find that out, we have to find the first order ID where the ID shifting occured. This is gonna be a huge pain in the ass.

And thats exactly why I'm pissed that blizzard did not tell us what bugs they fixed. We could probably investigate that bug much faster than they do if we knew what exactly they fixed.

I believe we all agree on your last point. And it would be even better feedback between community and Blizzard.

Level 8
My map will not load in any editor in any form.

States that "Trigger Function does not exist in database: IsUnitOwnedByPlayer" and the editor crashes.

Would be nice if this was fixed, but I am already preparing my mind mentally to move on from COTH.

I'm really upset it had to end this way. But I think anyone who knows Blizzard knew this would happen.

Last edited:
Level 1
Can't play the game on Mac OSX anymore after patching. Game keeps crashing when starting Warcraft III. It says "A battle.net update program, BlizzardPrepatch, could not be launched automatically (-10810). Please launch it manually when the game quits."

Level 1
I updated without any problems, but now my max resolution is 1280x960, cant go any higher.
Also i am using 1680x1050 monitor, not full hd if that helps. Can you guys maybe add support for higher refresh rate maybe 75 or even higher?
This problem only came after the update.

I updated without any problems, but now my max resolution is 1280x960, cant go any higher.
Also i am using 1680x1050 monitor, not full hd if that helps. Can you guys maybe add support for higher refresh rate maybe 75 or even higher?
This problem only came after the update.

Make sure "Fixed aspect ration" is unchecked in your video settings in the game menu.

You may also be able to change the refresh rate in you registry.

Level 9
My campaign folder disappeared when I downloaded the patch. I made a folder and named it campaigns, and moved them all there, but there's still nothing. How do I get all of my custom campaigns back?

Level 3
Hello everyone. I use Jassnewgen to edit my maps and Vexorian's Optimizer to optimize and protect them. I would describe my mapping tools as similar to most of the other mappers in my communities (Not hardcore coders, but actively working on maps with regular players).

It would seem if you wan't to continue to map at the moment you must (please tell mention if im missing something): Revert back to patch 1.27B and you can map but then would have to update to play (and possibly have to repeat this process) or If you have 2 machines like in my situation you can have one for editing and one for playing. Is it possible to run 2 version of warcraft 3 on the same machine without having to reinstall or use other machines?

However, we would still have to wait for an update with the Optimizer as most people use that to protect and reduce the size of their maps. If there is Map Protector that is still functional. I found this but haven't had a chance to use it does anyone know if its functional (it was substandard and is quite old)? Map Protector V1.4

I'll try it out later this evening, but if anyone has alternative suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I have 2 machines, a PC and a Laptop. I updated the PC last night so can't get into my maps on JassNG and save one of my maps on normal editor due to it exceeding the limit (units/doodads). I downloaded WEX as mentioned, while I'm actually excited to discover there will be an updated compatible editor moving forward, it doesn't have the limits removed. So ideally, don't update my laptop to edit and if that protector works I can continue to release in the meantime?

How likely is it that the tools like, JassNG, WEX, and Optimizer, can be updated in the near-ish future (looking to pass on some kind of temporary work around or good news back home)?

Level 12
Hello everyone. I use Jassnewgen to edit my maps and Vexorian's Optimizer to optimize and protect them. I would describe my mapping tools as similar to most of the other mappers in my communities (Not hardcore coders, but actively working on maps with regular players).

It would seem if you wan't to continue to map at the moment you must (please tell mention if im missing something): Revert back to patch 1.27B and you can map but then would have to update to play (and possibly have to repeat this process) or If you have 2 machines like in my situation you can have one for editing and one for playing. Is it possible to run 2 version of warcraft 3 on the same machine without having to reinstall or use other machines?

ye that's what I am doing right now..i really wish there will be a working JNGP vry soon.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Gamma slider only works with -nativefullscreen. Note: this may be intended--windowed fullscreen and windowed will use your Window's gamma settings. (source)
It is actually your display specified colour profile which gets used in windows mode, default sRGB. WC3 and all Blizzard game gamma slider works by populating a LUT with values based on slider position. This same LUT is used for colour profiles so applications are only allowed to set it in exclusive fullscreen mode, and will need to restore it between application minimize/restore.

Game freezes when trying to change video settings.
Use regedit to delete all Warcraft III settings while the game is closed. The settings registry will be repopulated when next running Warcraft III.

Host bots can get online and create games, but players cannot join.
Yaaa! Those robots can finally go to hell.

BLP files still cannot have mipmaps bigger than 512*512 loaded.

The fixed aspect ratio button in exclusive full screen mode causes the game to be output on the left of the display, rather than centred in the middle.

My campaign folder disappeared when I downloaded the patch. I made a folder and named it campaigns, and moved them all there, but there's still nothing. How do I get all of my custom campaigns back?

It should be in your Documents folder.

Is it possible to run 2 version of warcraft 3 on the same machine without having to reinstall or use other machines?

Yes just copy your 127b over to another folder and run it from there.

However, we would still have to wait for an update with the Optimizer

Hopefully Blizzard will patch the broken order id's which should fix vex's optimizer. That's the only thing that seems broken aside from having to manually specify common/blizzard.j

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
You should be using 1400*1050. Try manually setting it in regedit.

You may also be able to change the refresh rate in you registry.
I advise against that. It can cause all manner of bugs such as unstable frame rate and the setting may not even work anymore outside of exclusive fullscreen mode.

Level 8
I guess it was SUPER DUPER important to change order ids. How else they can proceed with those outdated numbers.

I mean, tornado used to be 852597. Such a lame number. But worry not, they updated it to a much cooler number -> 852598. Bliz to our rescue.

And they couldn't even add a proper VersionGet so i can add 2 war3map.j to the map for 1.28 and prior 1.28.

Last edited:
Level 8
@KILLCIDE Am not ranting, just appreciating all the hard work they did to bring this much cooler numbers instead of old lame ones.

p.s They also deleted functions from Blizzard.j.

ex. SmartCameraPanBJModified is missing.

Level 4
For those that have this issue(I had it for sure, and I saw someone at the 1.28 forum) :
error.png

Solution: Run the shortcut from inside the warcraft III folder, not anywhere else(the folder that has the Frozen Throne.exe and Maps) + Run as administrator. Should work =)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I guess it was SUPER DUPER important to change order ids. How else they can proceed with those outdated numbers.

I mean, tornado used to be 852597. Such a lame number. But worry not, they updated it to a much cooler number -> 852598. Bliz to our rescue.

And they couldn't even add a proper VersionGet so i can add 2 war3map.j to the map for 1.28 and prior 1.28.
The random like nature of those numbers points towards them possibly being based on internal ordering of the code. This might be the reason why GUI used order strings rather than ids as those were more future proof. They might need to hard-code the numbers now in a case statement or lookup table to prevent this from happening in the future.

Only version of WC3 supported is the latest 1.28, so you do not need to worry about prior. Any issues should be resolved over the next few patches.

Hmm so is there anyway how to reveal ur cd key ur using bcs i lost that too -_- Im using windows 7 Home premium and heres the error:
View attachment 264501

Go to your Warcraft III folder. Do you see a program called "Warcraft III Launcher", or something similar? If so, try running it. If you don't see it there, then we'll probably have to look for other options. Maybe we'll get someone to upload the launcher so people can download it directly.

Unfortunatly, I cannot apply the new update, I get this in-game error message:

EDIT: Ok, its sufficient to start Wc3 with admin rights. Didn't try this at first, because it was never neccessary until now, but the problem is fixed.

EDIT 2: Ok, now I get this error message with the error code BLZBNTAGT0000097A. System is Windows 7 64 bit, I tried updating from 1.26 and 1.27, both didn't work.

Did you run the launcher with admin rights?

That's not enterely true. There's a public cdkey changer running wild on the internet.

Still, it'd be thankful if you know where they are stored now, to say it.

@PurgeandFire There's also an issue with RoC. Some users can't launch RoC after installing the patch, it executes TFT directly. (Windows 10).

After patching to 1.28, the cd-keys should be stored in "roc.w3k", "tft.w3k", and "user.w3k"* in your Warcraft III folder. They aren't encrypted. If you change them, then wc3 will load with those cd-keys.

*user.w3k is just the name attached to the game. It can be anything though.

And thanks for the report regarding RoC.

Their JASS2 syntax checker / compiler hangs on this:
JASS:
function fun takes nothing returns integer
endfunction

Edit: When herobar=0, unused ability point indicator still visible:
View attachment 264533

Thanks for the report. For the second issue, what is herobar? Is it a field in one of the wc3 files? (e.g. CommandFunc.txt)

I could successfully isolate the problem.

It seems that my initial guess was right:

the "grabtree" order ID got shifted from 852511 to 852512.

So why does it work on unprotected maps then? Simple: the order string table has the new values and maps "grabtree" to 852512 internally.
However, what Vex optimizer does is replacing all string-based orders by their respective ID to make the code execute faster. Which results in "grabtree" to be replaced by the old value of 852511 instead of 852512. Unchecking "optimize script" will disable that feature and make the order fire properly when using a string-based order.

It seems that blizzard added a new order ID in 1.28, which resulted all orders beyond a certain ID to get shifted by 1.

However, this lets me assume that lots of other orders will also be mapped to the wrong ID in 1.28. We have to wait for blizz to fix this or update our maps to use only order IDs and create an updated table of order IDs for look-up.

Thanks for taking the time to explore this issue. I'll update the main post.

States that "Trigger Function does not exist in database: IsUnitOwnedByPlayer" and the editor crashes.

Would be nice if this was fixed, but I am already preparing my mind mentally to move on from COTH.

I'm really upset it had to end this way. But I think anyone who knows Blizzard knew this would happen.

This is usually related to UMSWE or WEU extended functions rather than with the patch. If you tried opening your map in patch 1.26 with the regular editor, it'd probably give the same error.

JNGP isn't working in 1.28 unless you follow TriggerHappy's fix (described here). But if you get it working, then you should be able to open your map if you can manage to enable UMSWE.

Can't play the game on Mac OSX anymore after patching. Game keeps crashing when starting Warcraft III. It says "A battle.net update program, BlizzardPrepatch, could not be launched automatically (-10810). Please launch it manually when the game quits."

Thanks for the report. Try going to your Warcraft III folder and see if there is a file called BlizzardPrepatch:
zBuMyoc.png

As kaijyuu said, try checking your Documents folder. It should be under "Documents/Warcraft III/Campaigns" if the migration worked for you.

How likely is it that the tools like, JassNG, WEX, and Optimizer, can be updated in the near-ish future (looking to pass on some kind of temporary work around or good news back home)?

Check out TriggerHappy's fix here. And we'll definitely try to keep JNGP and the optimizer working if we can. Hopefully most of the issues will be fixed with the next hotfix. These workarounds and stuff should be temporary.

Level 8
PurgeandFire - That isn't true. My map opens fine in version 1.27b, both in WE and NewGen. For 1.28, it gives me that error: Trigger Function does not exist in database: IsUnitOwnedByPlayer"

I currently have a version of both installed...

PurgeandFire - That isn't true. My map opens fine in version 1.27b, both in WE and NewGen. For 1.28, it gives me that error: Trigger Function does not exist in database: IsUnitOwnedByPlayer"

IsUnitOwnedByPlayer is a native, not a Blizzard JASS function (GUI action). Were you using tools that modified trigger data, like UMSWE?

EDIT: I guess if it opens in the vanilla editor it should be fine. If you want to send me your map I can try to figure it out.

Last edited:
Level 4
(macOS) Running wc3 will lead to an error saying "Warcraft III was unable to find a CD Key". One fix that might work is to copy and paste your Warcraft III folder into another folder (e.g. Documents), then copy and paste it back into your Applications folder, replacing the existing one.

Before trying to reboot attempt to rename Warcraft III.app to War3.app. Run the game and then rename it Warcraft III.app (I am starting to think it is something with Mac OSX but there needs to be a more through investigation)

Gamma slider only works with -nativefullscreen. Note: this may be intended--windowed fullscreen and windowed will use your Window's gamma settings.
This is as intended; gamma can be changed only in native fullscreen mode.

Loads the Reign of Chaos editor without any JNGP features injected into it. This may be related to the new CD-key locations (they are outside the MPQ now). In the meantime, consider downloading MindWorX's WEX bundle.

From what I understand JNGP uses an old version of WorldEdit that relies on the CDKeys being within the mpq; since that is no longer the case you need to use the old mopaqs with JNGP.

• "Cannot run the application launcher, please reinstall or upgrade manually."
Try installing the Blizzard App @ http://us.battle.net/en/app/ and login to a modern Battle.net account. Once you have done that run the "Warcraft III Launcher" that is in the game installation folder. The problem appears to be that Blizzard Agent is not installed or running on your machine causing the update to fail. (NOTE YOU MUST BE ON THE LATEST VERSION OF THE BLIZZARD APP)

Last edited:
Level 2
Running game version 1.27.1.7085 of WC3ROC on the latest version of macOS Sierra (10.12.3). When I try to patch to 1.28 in-game the following happens:

On the very first try I get the screen that says "Starting battle.net...", "Updating agent" etc, then I get a Launcher screen for Frozen Throne (??) telling me that "We can't patch {game_name} with Battle.net. Please log in to {game_name} to update it.", and the patching attempt fails. On my following patching attempts I instead get an installation screen for WC3FT in the Launcher application even though I have uninstalled it. Why is this? Have tried uninstalling and reinstalling ROC repeatedly with no difference. I should note that reinstalling ROC takes about 5 seconds, even though I can't find any trace of undeleted game files anywhere on my computer, though it may still indicate that I've missed some game files.

Last edited:
Level 2
Since the patch has been, BUGS I now have .........

1. When I alt tab to minimize WC, it doesn't minimize, it layers other windows, apps everything I have open over the top of the WC screen.
1a. When I do manage to get WC minimized, if I swap between e.g. a browser window, and the "My Computer" (sorry for the old terminology), WC pops up in the foreground, and the tabs I have open are all displayed on my taskbar.
2. I ladder, prior to the patch, while the game was in search mode, I would have WC minimized, when a game was found the WC game screen would pop up, and I could begin a game, NOW, if I have WC minimized and a game is found, the game begins and ends without me even realizing there was a game to begin with. Now if I want to play a ladder game, unless I have WC open, I have to sit there twiddling my thumbs waiting for a game to be found, so I can play it.
3. AND THE BIGGEST BUG is latency, I live in Australia, my latency would be as a rule 297ms, now I'm lucky if I can logon to battlenet with a latency under 1500ms, and then there is the game stuttering.

PLEASE FIX THESE BUGS!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

It's an old game this we all know, so why the heck does Blizzard need to streamline it? If they are trying to chase away users of this classic game they are doing it. I have been playing WC since the first WC game was released, I used to love the game, but since this latest update I'm seriously thinking of uninstalling it. :(

Level 2
Additionally to all of the patching issues, I have one more massive bug.

I cannot start Reign Of Chaos anymore, when I directly start it via Warcraft III.exe or select 'Reign of Chaos' in the launcher, it always starts The Frozen Throne instead. The issue was confirmed by another user in Battle.net forums, another re-install and patching had not resolved the issue.

Level 1
Go to your Warcraft III folder. Do you see a program called "Warcraft III Launcher", or something similar? If so, try running it. If you don't see it there, then we'll probably have to look for other options. Maybe we'll get someone to upload the launcher so people can download it directly.

Yes i did get this 'Warcraft III Luancher' to work after i installed blizzard agent app and it did actually update to 1.28 but now there is another huge bug in the way:
upload_2017-4-6_11-50-9.png

I have no idea how to deal with this <:

Level 6

I cannot start Reign Of Chaos anymore, when I directly start it via Warcraft III.exe or select 'Reign of Chaos' in the launcher, it always starts The Frozen Throne instead. The issue was confirmed by another user in Battle.net forums, another re-install and patching had not resolved the issue.

When the patch is installed old direct access files are bugged, you have to play a bit with the different w3 launchers in default installation path.

You can make a workaround by creating new direct access file from roc or tft depending on what you need and pasting them wherever you need'em.

Level 2
I directly ran Warcraft III.exe from the install directory and it starts Frozen Throne. Doesn't matter what I try, it always starts Frozen Throne only. Sorry if I misunderstand you.

The fixed aspect ratio button in exclusive full screen mode causes the game to be output on the left of the display, rather than centred in the middle.

It's because you have GPU Scaling turned on in your graphics control panel, fixed aspect ratio is useless if your gpu is already scaling correctly...

Level 6
I directly ran Warcraft III.exe from the install directory and it starts Frozen Throne. Doesn't matter what I try, it always starts Frozen Throne only. Sorry if I misunderstand you.

It was happening to me yesterday too but it fixed it somehow playing with these: war3.exe, Warcraft III.exe and Frozen Throne.exe.

I'm afraid I can't help you more in this matter.

Level 1
So for me,
I could access the the game itself but as soon as i wanted to go to B.net it wanted to updated from 1.27 to 1.28. makes since but it would also ask me to restart. And so I hit ok but nothing would come of it still. The restart wouldn't work and next time i went to B.net, it just would give me a error and couldn't go any further. So i was forced to uninstall and reload both ROC and TFT with keys i had digitally online.
Thats all cool right as i had Digital DL's available. However i ended up having to reinstall this like 3 times and was taking about 20 mins per install.
After the installs were complete it would have 2 bubbles to open frozen throne or ROC when finished i tried both and both would only take me to ROC even if selected TFT. I wanted TFT.

***The trick was to not open directly after install process. Close the install program and make 3 extra clicks to your (desktop/wherever saved) and then open it manually outside of the install process. both TFT and ROC work to B.NET at this time. ***
Hurry up people I wanna play some games haha.

Hope this helps or makes since.

Level 4

If you start War3.exe with -classic does that start Reign of Chaos correctly for you?

Level 4

Could you give me a copy of your map and the exact steps (including any/all mods/tools that you are using) it took to get this issue via pm?

For other users it happens the way around too: the launchers only run RoC.
Do they have a valid tft.w3k? If you launch war3.exe with no options it will attempt to run the highest edition that you have valid cdkeys for, if you have a valid roc.w3k and tft.w3k then it will launch TFT, if you only have a valid roc.w3k then it will only launch ROC. (Fail if it has neither).

Doing "war3.exe -classic" forces the game to launch in ROC mode

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.