• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #9 - Cataclysm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terrain Picture
:sad: it is sad that I have to remove high res doodads :sad: but rules are rules!
So here is my VIP so far!

185870-albums3014-picture25889.jpg

P.S. You can see more of this terrain pictures here! Also any comments, ideas and suggestions are welcome! :thumbs_up:

Level 8
i threw out my previous idea for this one... this is only 2% finished because there a few terraining Techniques i still have to learn..but id like some feedback plz...(BTW plz dont say "urg Blizzard Cliff" I am trying to make it look like Water Canals like those in Venice...) (I Know i wont win..but contests are fun lol :grin:)

3b3d5bc75225205c2febf7c5b672f5d8.jpg

Last edited:
Level 5
i want in just for the fun of it :p
the general idea is that this 'magic spring' is the source of water in the area and when it 'breaks' for some reason there is a mass drought which is what my second image will represent when i get to it.

heres my first proper wip
sorry i cba to crop it ><

162096-albums3070-picture25894.jpg

any comments would be awesome xD

to do list:
-finish doodads
-add in waterfalls (they are fiddly jeez)
-fog (yikes)
-units
-weather?

Level 5
@ morbid
ugh why didnt someone point me towards that tutorial years ago ><
took me ages to work out a way similar to that to make my sun (i basicly just use the fog doodad) ah well.....

@cpt.znck
looking good cant wait for the next wip xD

Level 18
I suppose it's time I should show a WIP too. Didn't do too much so far though, but it could give you an idea of what the pre-scene will look like.

wip1.jpg

I do however need to make the bird on top of the Tree of Life be more noticeable. I bet barely anybody saw it until I said there was a bird there LOL (FYI: It's a tinted Phoenix)
If anybody has any suggestions on what's already been done: Please leave constructive criticism (constructive meaning it includes WHY it's not good and preferably what I can do to improve it). I might make the open space a bit bigger for more creatures to wander around.
No need to comment on the sky, the fact that it's on the edge of the map (because I'm going to increase map size later), flat and 1-tiled terrain and other stuff that I didn't start on yet.

I suppose it's time I should show a WIP too. Didn't do too much so far though, but it could give you an idea of what the pre-scene will look like.

wip1.jpg

I do however need to make the bird on top of the Tree of Life be more noticeable. I bet barely anybody saw it until I said there was a bird there LOL (FYI: It's a tinted Phoenix)
If anybody has any suggestions on what's already been done: Please leave constructive criticism (constructive meaning it includes WHY it's not good and preferably what I can do to improve it). I might make the open space a bit bigger for more creatures to wander around.
No need to comment on the sky, the fact that it's on the edge of the map (because I'm going to increase map size later), flat and 1-tiled terrain and other stuff that I didn't start on yet.

Well, I know you were going for a natural style, but I haven't seen so many green variations in a forest at a time. You really need to remove some tree-types, because not all of them are supposed to be grown in the same season.

wip1.jpg

Here are some other changes you might want to consider:
The red circle: I'd totally remove that tree. It's the most unrealistic tree we've seen in the Ultimate Terraining Map.
The orange circle: Its color is too intense, compared to the rest trees, which results a damn unrealistic place. It's height is really short too. Either remove it, or tint it and resize it.
The blue circle: That shadow looks out of place, especially when it's a shadow of a huge Mountain Giant. Increase its radius to make it realistic.

Generally, you base your terrain too much on trees. I know it's a forest, but visit some forests' terrain pieces in Terrain Board and you'll realize that lots of changes are required. Also, consider adding some fog, as it will blend the trees with each other, so that you get a more unvarying effect. Try "80/154/50" for the color values or "50/100/80".

Level 11
That has been answered already, it has to be one entry, with two screenshots of the same map, showing a before, and after session of the destruction.

I know what the contest is, I just meant could we submit multiple separate pairs of screenshots. I guess thats a no though :(

I don't expect it will take 2 months for anyone to make a single submission.

Level 18
Well, I know you were going for a natural style, but I haven't seen so many green variations in a forest at a time. You really need to remove some tree-types, because not all of them are supposed to be grown in the same season.

View attachment 77486

Here are some other changes you might want to consider:
The red circle: I'd totally remove that tree. It's the most unrealistic tree we've seen in the Ultimate Terraining Map.
The orange circle: Its color is too intense, compared to the rest trees, which results a damn unrealistic place. It's height is really short too. Either remove it, or tint it and resize it.
The blue circle: That shadow looks out of place, especially when it's a shadow of a huge Mountain Giant. Increase its radius to make it realistic.

Generally, you base your terrain too much on trees. I know it's a forest, but visit some forests' terrain pieces in Terrain Board and you'll realize that lots of changes are required. Also, consider adding some fog, as it will blend the trees with each other, so that you get a more unvarying effect. Try "80/154/50" for the color values or "50/100/80".

Thanks for the feedback. After that WIP I started working on the shadows of everything. In that WIP they were all still Blizzard default, which is crap :p
I'll reduce tree variety and take a look at some forest terrains in the terrain board like you said. I figured that since a lot of people get to hear they use too little tree variation, I should use every tree type in the UTM that has green leafs and a brown trunk LOL. Newbie mistake :xxd:

Level 12
-Kobas-, he said you had to remove the archers, I do believe, I don't remember him saying anything about the hi-res doodads.

-Kobas-, he said you had to remove the archers, I do believe, I don't remember him saying anything about the hi-res doodads.

kobas, high res doodads are allowed

I wanted to say that we can't use imports from other sites like XGM but it can looks very good even like this! :con:

I would base venice off assassin's creed 2 if you can, it looks awesome there. also, use more solidly leafed trees, and dont ever use a moon, trust me. use a close, very dark fog.

I just tried 5 or more fogs and each sky that you can find, I just can't make good decision! :cute:

kobas i only have 1 complaint on that terrain the waterfall comes from nothing theres no stream behind it or cave to come out of maybe do something with it?
Omg i forgot to add lightning and make that waterfall looks like come from cave! Thanks dude :thumbs_up:

Level 12
Okay, here's my first WIP. I still have much to do, including adding a large city on the right side and then an epic sky. After that, it will be a simple matter (I hope) of flooding the entire thing and reworking the lighting and sky for the second pic. Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself. For right now, enjoy.

P.S. I think that all the models I've used so far are either in the UTM or contest sanctioned models thread. However, if you do not approve of any of the models used, please let me know, as I can easily replace most of them.

Attachments

• Pre Cat Terrain WIP1.png
    Pre Cat Terrain WIP1.png
    518.6 KB · Views: 184
Level 5
yer i thought about making a flood but then i realised my screeny would probably consist of water and sky lul :p

Level 8
Here it is...and HELP plz...i need more ideas haha..(im not imagineitive)
0d335d0209308490b20c737cfab698c2.jpg

@Piwlady : You really dont need anymore, cause you're terrain looks epic enough lol...but adding a guardsman wont do you harm...:thumbs_up:

@L_Lawliet : like you're terrain but maybe add a stag/buck to give it that true nature feeling...

Level 5
@Cpt.ZnacK: yup that sun looks much more awesome nice job. i reckon you definatly need something in the large area of water in the foreground and some more doodads around the town like mebe benches?

Level 3
Here is my project i have used the Ultimate Terraining Map.I divided the map in 2 parts.:grin:

Attachments

• cataclysm.tga
    2.7 MB · Views: 102
  • cataclysm9.tga
    2.7 MB · Views: 51
  • cataclysm11.tga
    2.7 MB · Views: 58
  • cataclysm6.tga
    2.7 MB · Views: 43
  • Cataclysm.w3x
    4 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Level 18
Use the Add Reply button just below the last post of a page or just above the first post of a page. Below the Submit Reply button in that screen, you'll see the additional options, including a buttons Manage Attachments. That's where you add attachments for everyone to see directly from THW instead of downloading it.

EDIT: Do NOT use the IMG tags for screenshots. It will only take a whole lot of space, which everybody finds annoying. If you really insist, you should place IMG tags in a HIDDEN tag. But to use IMG tags, you need to upload the image to a site, which will only be more effort for you. So I don't recommend it.

Level 12
Don't ever convert to PNG unless it's from like a PSD or something. Conversions, especially from JPG, suck when going to PNG. Just take a new screenshot, and CnP it into paint, and then save as a PNG.

Status
Not open for further replies.