• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Contest #10[playable] - Surrealism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally find some time to continue my work on tiles!
Another Picture!

WC3ScrnShot_092210_224335_01.jpg

Level 15
Woot, my "pg up" key broke off from over-use. Probably the key I use most when terraining. Too much constructing. :p

I ran out of ideas with my previous wip. So I started over. Finally got an actual idea. Although there is no surrealism in it yet, there will be, don't worry. Mass wooden plank constructing, yay.
Wip 3.jpg

There's some Z-clipping at the bottom.
Also, those rocks look very repetitive.

Ah I know, but this is only base (I replace tiles with doodads right now)
Well all rocks use same texture -.-, but as I already say, will add more doodads and shit to make it different!

Thanks

Btw map has over 260 custom doodads (90% imported) and still below 1.5 MB

Level 8
Yeah, everyone's computer crashed :(
including mine, glady i had a backup so i don't lost anything. I'm still in, but my social life is demanding lots of my time (not that i don't like it ;p)
I had to adapt part of my concept so i can still finish it in time.

Level 3
Well with such an awesome theme I have to at least try...
I'll be posting WIP pics later. Wish me luck!
To prepare I'm listening to a lot of ambient techno, and Tool, haha.

Level 5
All these screenshots and stuff are really good, I wanna see who wins. I wish I could do something, but I'll try on the next contest. You guys are too good :D

Level 15
New Wip. Over 2000 wooden posts now.
WIP.jpg

Info: To explain a little about this: most of the construction will be on one rock platform. As you can see, some of the houses are torn apart. Those parts will be "floating into the abyss" but will still be bonded to the main platform by vines.

To Do List:
  • Add 7 more roofs to the buildings.
  • Spam the floor with rocks and stuff.
  • Add massive amount of branches between the parts of the buildings.
  • Add in invisible platforms to make it playable.
  • Add in some decorations in the houses like beds, shelves, etc..
  • Tweak and epicify (so not a word :p)
  • Convince Keiji, Megafyr, and the rest of "them" to get off their lazy butts and join in to add to the competition making this more fun. Oh wait. That's not supposed to be on this list. Oh well.
Only 7 days left. Can I do it? Absolutely!

Hey look!

A Wip!
5047536677_3becb8de93_b.jpg

This is very early in the design, it might change drastically by the time im done. Or hell maybe even by the next WIP.

Edit: A cinematic sequences allowed? Imported music?

Edit 2: Scratch that last 1
On a note of wanting it to be original I started over. Heres my WIP
5047637559_756626b5b7_b.jpg

I liked the look of the first one so far, it was looking nice. The problem with the second one is, you have stretched textures.

New Wip. Over 2000 wooden posts now.
View attachment 90621

Info: To explain a little about this: most of the construction will be on one rock platform. As you can see, some of the houses are torn apart. Those parts will be "floating into the abyss" but will still be bonded to the main platform by vines.

To Do List:
  • Add 7 more roofs to the buildings.
  • Spam the floor with rocks and stuff.
  • Add massive amount of branches between the parts of the buildings.
  • Convince Keiji, Megafyr, and the rest of "them" to get off their lazy butts and join in to add to the competition making this more fun. Oh wait. That's not supposed to be on this list. Oh well.
Only 7 days left. Can I do it? Absolutely!

Loving your terrains so far, I am thinking about whipping something up in the next week.

Level 15
Yay! Roofs.
WIP-with roofs.jpg

To Do List: (Edited)
  • Attach the parts of the broken houses with vines.
  • Add in the actual surreal part (secret). I'm debating between two ideas.

Level 36
Too true M0rbid. There is nothing wrong about Chaos' terrain, in terms of it following the theme. Surrealism is in all honesty something hard to define, because it means different things to different people, but as M0rbid is saying: Realistic "compositions" (as he so fluidly likes using) threaded together in a non-realistic and impossible manner (physically speaking) to exist, is one kind of surrealsim. In short: Realistic things piled together in a non-realistic way makes for a good surrealistic terrain base layer.

Savvy?! :p

Too true M0rbid. There is nothing wrong about Chaos' terrain, in terms of it following the theme. Surrealism is in all honesty something hard to define, because it means different things to different people, but as M0rbid is saying: Realistic "compositions" (as he so fluidly likes using) threaded together in a non-realistic and impossible manner (physically speaking) to exist, is one kind of surrealsim. In short: Realistic things piled together in a non-realistic way makes for a good surrealistic terrain base layer.

Savvy?! :p

it's hard to come up with an original idea without just adding floating things everywhere and upsidedown trees n such
IMO

Level 7
My map is ready.

Museum of Dreams

Information

In this map, you visit 4 rooms and each one of them is in somekind of surrealism theme. You move around in the map with arrows. When entering a room, you will see short description of the room.

Credits

Ultimate terraining map 2.0
xX Morph3us Xx
Nasrudin
Dubey
Blizzard
Dealin
Chriz
Mor)L(UnE
Lestat
marcus158
Amigurumi
Mr. Bob
communist_orc
inico
Dan van Ohllus
Gottfrei
Ossus
67chrome
Callahan
razorbladeray

Screenshots

wip2s.png

wip5.png

room3wip1.png

Author comments

* Sadly i oversaved word office doc. where was all the cradits of the map, so if i forgot someone model(s), then let me know and i will fix that.

* You make notice, that the screen ingame may shake a little bit. Thats cause of camera system. Its hard to make a perfect 3D moving camera.

* Room 4 may look not good in WE but for that room, i mostly tryed to make ingame perfect.

* Screenshot pictures are little bit different from the finished map.

Map
View attachment Terraining contest - Surrealism.w3x

EDIT: Changed map, it should work now, if it wont, then i have no idea whats wrong with this map.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.